OP
UTC

px200

px200
UTC quote
Hi All, little help needed. I put an accessory socket on my PX200 a while back. I did try to use the power from the two wires in the glove box ( i think they are for an indicater buzzer ) but the first phone charger i connected burnt out, i just tried again and the fuse on a phone charger blew immediately. I dont get it, i have connected these same phone chargers to a 24v system with no problems.

Someone point me in the right direction with a very big arrow please !
@bholinath avatar
UTC

Addicted
Rally 200, SS 180, ET3

Addicted
@bholinath avatar
Rally 200, SS 180, ET3
UTC quote
black box
firstly, electrics are not my strongest subject but i mananged to wire in an seperate accessory socket...
you need a relay in there somewhere to prevent everything from burning out.
its one of those little square black box relays that has 4 connections - 30, 85, 86, 87
from the battery+ a fused feed goes to no. 30 on the relay
a wire joins 30 to 85
86 goes to the 'switch'
85 and 87 feed power to your newly fitted device - power adaptor/horns/spotlights etc

im not saying thats the correct way but it works for me since fitting 2 years ago..no flat batteries, no fuses blown, no problems whatsoever.

edit..oh yeh...check there is constant power from your indicator buzzer wires!!! and not on/off on/off on/off as per indicators!
@cazshie avatar
UTC

Hooked
2003 PX200

Hooked
@cazshie avatar
2003 PX200
UTC quote
I have a 2006 px125e disc and wired it into the connector block under the horn cover. Followed the route of the indicator wires to the connector and used the same earth point as indicator for the negative.
@mike_m avatar
UTC

Hooked
1986 Vespa PX 125E, Pinasco 177

Hooked
@mike_m avatar
1986 Vespa PX 125E, Pinasco 177
UTC quote
I plan on installing this item in the glovebox and running the wires directly back to the battery. After reading numerous reviews this seems like the ideal system. It only draws power when an item is plugged in and almost everything these days can be charged via USB

http://burnsmoto.com/usb-power-socket-weatherproof.php
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@cazshie avatar
UTC

Hooked
2003 PX200

Hooked
@cazshie avatar
2003 PX200
UTC quote
Mike M wrote:
I plan on installing this item in the glovebox and running the wires directly back to the battery.
Check the wiring diagram for your model, may be much much easier to take your feed much nearer the glove box.

I took my feed from the 12v going to the ignition switch.
@bholinath avatar
UTC

Addicted
Rally 200, SS 180, ET3

Addicted
@bholinath avatar
Rally 200, SS 180, ET3
UTC quote
cigarette
i like the weather proof usb charger! kool!

i just have a cigarette lighter socket adapter under my seat as ive never seen an air compressor (useful for blowing tubes and air beds when out on the road) with a usb power plug. or a laptop charger that runs from a usb source

most (if not all) phones and sat navs, laptops run off cigar sockets

i guess it depends on the kind of gadgets you want to carry.
most of the things i thought about being able to use are designed for cars/camping with cigar lighter sockets. if i need a usb socket then i would use a cigar lighter to usb socket!
(
ive never had problems with a drained battery)
OP
UTC

px200

px200
UTC quote
cazshie wrote:
Mike M wrote:
I plan on installing this item in the glovebox and running the wires directly back to the battery.
Check the wiring diagram for your model, may be much much easier to take your feed much nearer the glove box.

Thanks for the reply's, which colour wire did you use, was it the red, i think that would make the socket permanently live.
@cazshie avatar
UTC

Hooked
2003 PX200

Hooked
@cazshie avatar
2003 PX200
UTC quote
Homer wrote:
cazshie wrote:
Mike M wrote:

Thanks for the reply's, which colour wire did you use, was it the red, i think that would make the socket permanently live.
I would need to take the horn cover off again to double check but I am pretty sure it WAS the red for a permanent live. That would allow me to charge my phone up with the keys out and the steering lock on.
OP
UTC

px200

px200
UTC quote
Thanks, i will just connect it that way then.
⬆️    About 5 years elapsed    ⬇️
@jpp avatar
UTC

2016 PX 125

@jpp avatar
2016 PX 125
UTC quote
cazshie wrote:
Homer wrote:
cazshie wrote:
Mike M wrote:

I would need to take the horn cover off again to double check but I am pretty sure it WAS the red for a permanent live. That would allow me to charge my phone up with the keys out and the steering lock on.
hi there,

what did you do with the ground wire or negative pole? where should i connect that?

thanks
@cazshie avatar
UTC

Hooked
2003 PX200

Hooked
@cazshie avatar
2003 PX200
UTC quote
jpp wrote:
cazshie wrote:
Homer wrote:
cazshie wrote:
Mike M wrote:

hi there,

what did you do with the ground wire or negative pole? where should i connect that?

thanks
Ground it to the frame. I grounded via the screw that provides the earth for the front indicator.
@jpp avatar
UTC

2016 PX 125

@jpp avatar
2016 PX 125
UTC quote
ok thanks.

i'll post how it turned out later.
still waiting on the parts to arrive.
@jpp avatar
UTC

2016 PX 125

@jpp avatar
2016 PX 125
UTC quote
worked like a charm!

thanks for your help
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0410s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0131s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]