How Long Can You Drive On The Highway?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Enthusiast
2012 Vespa GTV 300ie 2008 Vintage 150
Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:55 pm quote
I'm taking a trip this weekend up North and will be taking my GTV300 . My only concerns are driving on the highway for extended periods of time. The total distance one way is around 140 miles, with some mountain climbs here and there. The speed limit is 65 mph closer to the city and goes up to 75mph when you get further north. I plan on staying around the 65-70mph range and stopping about 30 minutes for the bike and my butt to rest!

Is it okay to run these engines like this, I don't have a tach so I'm not sure what the rpm's are around that speed range. Anyone with any advice would be great. I've searched the past threads and the routes that I saw were more back road not main Interstate/Highway travel.

Thanks
Molto Verboso
S 190
Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:59 pm quote
have done 65mph for about 50 miles back and forth on my air cooled 190 to get it to rallys and back. i could not see a problem with the bigger and water cooled vespas. keep an eye on your engine temp. but you should be fine. never heard of a problem with this.

my thoughts from the air cooled community
Moderaptor
2xGP800, Fuoco, X9 500 Evo, The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug), 'Olive' (GT200) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:03 pm quote
Good heavens yes! It'll do 350 mile days at WOT without complaint of any sort - but you will need to stop every hour for 10 minutes to stretch your legs - and fuel up perhaps. It'll do more than 350 miles in a day - but your arse probably won't want to.

Including stops, taking back roads, assume 35mph as an overall average. That'd put the 140 miles as a four-hour journey, a very nice day out.

On freeways, assume 45 mph as an overall average. The back roads aren't that much slower for a scooter, and far more enjoyable.
Addicted
10 Dragon Red GTS300, 67 BMW hack
Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:07 pm quote
Just got back from ~700 mile weekend.
I was running 65-75, occasional 80+ mph (indicated), and stopped about once an hour for a quick rest. IMHO you'll need a break before you'll run out of fuel at higher speeds. At 50-60 mph, I'll just stop when I need fuel.
Your scooter can surely take it.
Enthusiast
Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:26 pm quote
jimc wrote:
Including stops, taking back roads, assume 35mph as an overall average. That'd put the 140 miles as a four-hour journey, a very nice day out.

On freeways, assume 45 mph as an overall average. The back roads aren't that much slower for a scooter, and far more enjoyable.
Jim, you're right on the money about the estimated time. Mapquest said a little over 4 hours, if I took the back roads. On the Interstate 2+ hours

I would rather take back roads but that would be an additional 2+ hours, given it's up in the mountains I would have to detour basically around it lol.
Moderaptor
2xGP800, Fuoco, X9 500 Evo, The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug), 'Olive' (GT200) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:39 pm quote
But - but - but - you'd have an extra two hours riding!

I do agree that when the main consideration is to get from A to B, then highways are fine for the job. They just suck (in the main, there are exceptions) for the journey though.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK
Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:46 pm quote
stopping every 100 miles for a gas top off is a good break. its just a good rule of thumb for me.
Enthusiast
Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:49 pm quote
jimc wrote:
But - but - but - you'd have an extra two hours riding!

I do agree that when the main consideration is to get from A to B, then highways are fine for the job. They just suck (in the main, there are exceptions) for the journey though.
I couldn't agree more! The main goal on this trip is to get from point A to B because I'm going to visit an old friend I haven't seen in probably 4+ years.

But you do bring up an interesting point... going from point B back to A isn't a rush, so I think I might plan for the back road route on the way home! Yeah... yeah... good idea Jim lol.

Cheers
Enthusiast
Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:52 pm quote
old as dirt wrote:
stopping every 100 miles for a gas top off is a good break. its just a good rule of thumb for me.
Yeah I'll probably be stopping around every 50 miles, gas stations can get a little few and far between out in the sticks. Plus I'll have my camera so I can take some nice pictures.
Moderaptor
Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:54 pm quote
Win-win-win. : More time with friend, more time on the road, more enjoyment.

Life *can* be good!
Vespa GT200
Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:22 pm quote
Are you going up to Flagstaff? Have fun, be safe and please post about your experience when you get back! I would love to go, but the thought of riding on I-17 is kind of terrifying to me. Those trucks can be brutal.
Ossessionato
2006 GTS 250, 2005 GT200L (The Swan)
Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:52 am quote
old as dirt wrote:
And you get to meet a lot of cool people along the way. It does sound like an adventure though. I want to go to Colorado from Wichita and ride around the mountains. Let's say one week trip? I need to get an extra fuel container. Then I wanna go across the desert at night with a full moon. Then I would like to go to Scooting the Ozarks around Eureka Springs. The possibilities are endless. When I am in doubt and low on fuel, I take the highway. Country roads are a lot of fun too. I ride with a map. No GPS. It makes it more challanging. When I take breaks I study my map!
Enthusiast
Scarabeo 500, Harley Road Glide
Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:23 am quote
heat!
I read your post and thought...Glendale Az? It's triple digits out there! I just returned last week from a trip through the Ca central valley (sf to la) and have to admit that the trucks werent nearly as scary as the heat.
If you must go, go early, and get off of the roads by noon, IF its taking you through triple digit temps. At 60 you're basically in a giant convection oven, and when you're miles from an exit with no shade, there's no escape when you start to regret the decision.
My advice to you would be to exercise a large dollop of caution about the heat. July in Az...ouch.
Ossessionato
GT200L Alabaster 2004 "Lady"
Location: Ishioka, Ibaragi Pref., Japan and Khun Han, Isaan, Thailand
Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:26 am quote
I think an hour driving on motorway at high speed is enough before a break is called for. On country roads maybe 1h30 would be ok without a break
Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa GT 200L (Rocket): 2002 Malaguti Ciak 50: 2013 Honda NC700X
Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:26 am quote
GTV300 wrote:
But you do bring up an interesting point... going from point B back to A isn't a rush, so I think I might plan for the back road route on the way home! Yeah... yeah... good idea Jim
I would just leave two hours earlier than you originally intended and take the scenic route both ways.

I rode down I-10 for 80 miles recently, then got off onto US-90 on my way to Tallahassee. The I-10 part was nothing but trying to get there quicker, like I do if driving. The US-90 part was much better as it went through nice small towns and the traffic was very light. The towns gave me a chance to put my feet down and rest just enough to stay fresh. On the way home I took US-90 the entire way and it was a better trip.

Your roads should be much more scenic than we have in North Florida so I envy your opportunity for a long ride in such a cool area.

Have fun!
Molto Verboso
2007 LX190 RIP 1980 Honda CM400T
Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:12 am quote
I recently found out you can ride on the highway as long as you like , or , until you blow the engine....

As soon as I rebuild I am getting back on

When I ride distance I go until my needle hits 1/4 tank ( rough 1 1/2 hrs )

I know I should get 100 miles + per tank but I am just flat out paranoid, and with bad kidneys it is a good excuse to stop and take a break.
Molto Verboso
GTS Vintage Red
Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:07 am quote
I do not want to start a negative thread here but I was on a short trip last weekend 350 miles total. Most of our ride was backroads. We were on a highway for about 10 miles with a posted speed limit of 65. My GTS was fine but I got the feeling that my Vespa was not really designed for 65 mph riding...

I could have used more weight and power... Riding at 55 - 60 on a smaller Parkway's works better for my Vespa. Maybe it's my own comfort zone at 65+...

G
Ossessionato
2006 GT 200L "lo cara"
Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:07 am quote
'ride wet'
this time of year and your '20' i would like to point out that the rider is equally important on such a trip...hydrate, hydrate, hydrate...and drink water too!
Ossessionato
2009 GTV 244, 2005 BMW F652 CS, 2001 ET4 150
Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:31 am quote
Re: heat!
misha1031 wrote:
I read your post and thought...Glendale Az? It's triple digits out there! I just returned last week from a trip through the Ca central valley (sf to la) and have to admit that the trucks werent nearly as scary as the heat.
If you must go, go early, and get off of the roads by noon, IF its taking you through triple digit temps. At 60 you're basically in a giant convection oven, and when you're miles from an exit with no shade, there's no escape when you start to regret the decision.
My advice to you would be to exercise a large dollop of caution about the heat. July in Az...ouch.
Living in AZ, you probably know this, but if not . . .

I'll add to that and say, make sure that all of your skin, especially your neck, is insulated from the wind if ambient temps are higher than your body temperature.

105 degree wind at 60MPH though mesh clothing is a quick recipe for heat stroke.

Be safe out there!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK
Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:36 am quote
Max6200 wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
And you get to meet a lot of cool people along the way. It does sound like an adventure though. I want to go to Colorado from Wichita and ride around the mountains. Let's say one week trip? I need to get an extra fuel container. Then I wanna go across the desert at night with a full moon. Then I would like to go to Scooting the Ozarks around Eureka Springs. The possibilities are endless. When I am in doubt and low on fuel, I take the highway. Country roads are a lot of fun too. I ride with a map. No GPS. It makes it more challanging. When I take breaks I study my map!
yup I'm old school map guy too. I carry a GPS but don't use it. I like looking at the whole pic of the map to decide where to general head to. Can't do that to easy with the GPS. Also gives me some ideas on gas stops.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie, 2010 4T Stella 150
Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:45 am quote
old as dirt wrote:
Max6200 wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
yup I'm old school map guy too. I carry a GPS but don't use it. I like looking at the whole pic of the map to decide where to general head to. Can't do that to easy with the GPS. Also gives me some ideas on gas stops.
Likewise! Besides exercising the brain cells, it forces you to get off the bike every hour and a half or so (even if you don't need gas) to keep you from becoming dangerous and stupid.
Ossessionato
2010 GTS 300 Super "Yukihime" 2013 BV350 "TBD"
Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:06 am quote
Gianni wrote:
I do not want to start a negative thread here but I was on a short trip last weekend 350 miles total. Most of our ride was backroads. We were on a highway for about 10 miles with a posted speed limit of 65. My GTS was fine but I got the feeling that my Vespa was not really designed for 65 mph riding...

I could have used more weight and power... Riding at 55 - 60 on a smaller Parkway's works better for my Vespa. Maybe it's my own comfort zone at 65+...

G
I ride my GTS 300 on the freeways daily (it's my commute vehicle) and I have no problems keeping up with the 75-80 mph traffic (although it took me some time to feel comfortable going that fast). I have almost 20K miles on my 300, and I can say that 90% are freeway miles going WOT. My round-trip commute is about 60 miles give or take. If you maintain your scoot, it has no problem handling freeway sustained speeds.
Addicted
2007 Vespa GT200 - 2010 Vespa GTS 300 Super - 2013 Piaggio BV 350
Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:06 am quote
Just did a 500 mile trip and that was only one way. Total I just logged about 1200 miles on my GT200. That was from Ventura County up to Lake Tahoe, then down to Folsom, CA back up to Tahoe and then home. Went up the 395, to the 50 to get to Tahoe. Your scooter is more than capable of doing the trip. I only stopped for gas, and scretched my legs on my way inside for something to drink and to "make a deposit"

All in all it was enjoyable, I Was WOT the whole way and it took me about 8-1/2 hours to get there and the same back. Actually I Need to do a ride report on it, so feel free to look for that later.
Enthusiast
Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:36 pm quote
Re: heat!
Thanks everyone for the input!
It seems to me that the general consensus is that long highway trips at higher speeds are not a problem for the bigger Vespa engines. That's pretty reassuring to me seeing how I don't really ever take the highway.
misha1031 wrote:
Yes, my trip will be from Glendale to Flagstaff AZ and I plan on leaving around 6 am. The heat out here right now is atrocious! Also it's monsoon season and it has been raining here and there the past 2 weeks so I'm keeping a watchful eye on the weather both here and in Flagstaff. I will be keeping my skin covered up and will be stopping about every 30 minutes give or take to stay hydrated.
I will be taking my camera with me too and will be sure to post some pictures of the journey!
Enthusiast
Scarabeo 500, Harley Road Glide
Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:25 pm quote
riding in heat
I'm not sure if this is of use to you, and not sure that you don't already know this, but two things that have helped me riding in the heat, and surely will help in Az, if youre asking about riding long rides-
First- beads (like the cabbies use). I don't remember where I got mine but they are cut for a motorcycle seat, all black, and in the heat, definitely keep me from being soaked in sweat, seatwise.
Also, go to a sporting goods store and get a pair of Nike workout shorts (nylon lycra) to wear instead of standard cotton u-trou... they don't ride up and will definitely help you put a lot of miles on without discomfort.
I know its a bit descriptive but believe me, all of these things will stop you from completing a long ride way before mechanical failure will (LOL- this stuff prevents a different sort of mechanical failure).
Have a great ride!
Beer Fairy
GTS-"Cannonball Bettie" Member Iron Butt Association
Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:00 pm quote
Re: riding in heat
misha1031 wrote:
I'm not sure if this is of use to you, and not sure that you don't already know this, but two things that have helped me riding in the heat, and surely will help in Az, if youre asking about riding long rides-
First- beads (like the cabbies use). I don't remember where I got mine but they are cut for a motorcycle seat, all black, and in the heat, definitely keep me from being soaked in sweat, seatwise.
Also, go to a sporting goods store and get a pair of Nike workout shorts (nylon lycra) to wear instead of standard cotton u-trou... they don't ride up and will definitely help you put a lot of miles on without discomfort.
I know its a bit descriptive but believe me, all of these things will stop you from completing a long ride way before mechanical failure will (LOL- this stuff prevents a different sort of mechanical failure).
Have a great ride!
+1 on all counts, I have a "Beadrider" seat and it saved my ass on all 3400 + miles of Cannonball and a ss1000 last week! ( 1k miles in 24 hours)

and as a note on long didtance rides, soft hands on the bars and stretching while riding is good for me. also I proceed quickly and on task while fueling up, get in and out. This leaves me more time to pull over in perhaps a few miles, for a short walk and a stretch at the next "scenic vista". otherwise you get all of your rest hanging around gas stations : (
( this is recommended in the IBA 26 best tips.
Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV200
Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:10 pm quote
Go to REI, get a Camelback for water, an evaporation scarf and/or vest. Freeze some large tupperware glasses with water and remove the ice in the morning for the camelback. I got the insulated model and a long insulated hose. I hang it from the grocery bag hook. Very nice on triple digit days.
Hooked
2014 Vespa 300, 2013 Zero S, 2015 Yama FZ-07

Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:12 pm quote
I usually take the access roads beside the interstate and ride my smallest scooter, the Scarabeo 100. It goes the speed limit which is 45 or 50 mph and there are occasional lights or 4 way stops at exits and that gives me a chance to stand up a few seconds. I ride it essentially wot all the time. I can go all the way from Austin to San Antonio on access roads beside I-35 and of course ride inside the city once I get there. If I take the 300GTS, I take a state road (55 or 60 mph) or the interstate and keep in the right lane mostly going 65 mph. Some people ride bicycles on the access roads, so you could take a 50 cc, stay in the right lane and be fine too. In fact, if you don't like the interstates, you can go to Google maps and select the bicycle routes which avoid major highways. Some of those are beautiful routes. I rode this evening from New Braunfels along the scenic River Road to Canyon Lake and back on the 100 cc. ( 40 mile round trip). Speed limit was 15-30 mph all the way. It was gorgeous. Even those interstates that seem to be in the middle of nowhere have state roads not too far away going more or less the same direction.
Hooked
Vespa GTS 300 super, Moto Guzzi Griso
Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:17 pm quote
I gone from Detroit to Columbus all Free way. Stops for gas and stretch. Scoot keeps up no problem. When going up hills WOT I'll Draft a bit behind cars about 3 car lengths back for a little help going up inclines.
2014 Fall MP3 Gathering - Blue Ridge Motorcycle Camp   Maroon Powersports LLC DBA Scooter Centrale   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.3015s ][ Queries: 30 (0.1249s) ][ Debug on ]