Airbox modifications
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion Previous12345678Next
Molto Verboso
2009 MP3 400ie, Silver- "Lorelei Lee Long"
Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:39 pm quote
Yeah, I know it can be fixed I just need to make sure the fix is secure so that it can't break loose or possibly get sucked in.

Here's what it looks like so far...once I fix the opening and it has dried overnight, I will probably do something like stuff the repaired opening end and fill that section with water to make sure there are no leaks around the edges. Along with trying to pull it loose to make sure it is solid, of course.

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:43 pm quote
yeah you went crazy with the dremmel. you should be able to fill the top portion with some jb weld or something. Also you can open the hole on the bottom a bit wider if you want to.
Molto Verboso
Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:05 pm quote
old as dirt wrote:
yeah you went crazy with the dremmel. you should be able to fill the top portion with some jb weld or something. Also you can open the hole on the bottom a bit wider if you want to.
Well, not so much crazy, I just cut to remove the whole thing. In hindsight it became apparent that I should have just removed the hose first (as instructed...I was working from memory though, so...), would have been easier, but, lessons learned.

I have NO idea how Pony got his cuts to looks so clean, except maybe with the "snake" attachment for a dremel, which I don't have.
Addicted
'10 Aprilia Mana GT
Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:21 pm quote
Quote:
I have NO idea how Pony got his cuts to looks so clean, except maybe with the "snake" attachment for a dremel, which I don't have.
I used a utility knife to carve out the opening. It took a little longer using successive slices until I had the shape I wanted but the plastic is soft and easy to remove.
Molto Verboso
Honda CTX 700D
Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:43 pm quote
Thanks FUZZY for the suggestion. To provide further clarification I am adding the following instructions. Since I didn't take pictures of any of this it is all verbal. Not good I know but it 's the best I can do at this time.... I need another cover to work on to take pictures of.

SITE PREPARATION: I do in fact use a Dremel tool but with no "snake like " attachments. I didn't know it existed until you mentioned it Sidecutter! To get the straight cut at the TOP of the new opening I use a Cutoff blade, at high speed, driving the blade in carefully just on the inside radius of the top of the existing hose collar ABS opening. Once the blade penetrates the collar I cut off the small piece of collar at the top and continue to make a deeper penetration into the panel moving the blade from side to side to establish the end of the cut on both sides. I change to a rotary cutting bit to begin to roughly ease out the remaining material on the sides holding the web of the hose collar. I also remove the remaining hose collar material with the same cutter. Once the side webs are cut as far down as I'm comfortable with I will make angular cuts to the lower corners to remove the side web material.

At this point there should be only 3/16" or so of material on the bottom trough to be removed from side to side. I use the cutting bit to CAREFULLY remove this material. The danger here is that you could penetrate the outer cover with the cutter end if not watching.

Next, I use the small abrasive bullet grinding wheel to smooth all cut surfaces being careful to only remove small amounts of material at a time and with a very lite touch. This grinding tool tends to melt the plastic as it works and in addition to grinding also smooths the surface a bit.

The last step is to dry fit the plate to the opening created. As many of you have pointed out that is necessary. Some of you will not need to make much of an adjustment at all. One other thing I've been doing is to bevel the long straight edge fitting to the rounded surfaces. This allows the plate to settle down a little farther on the long "straight" side. It also makes glueup slightly easier in that the fit is a good bit tighter.

I continue to use the 20 minute Locktite epoxy for ABS with apparent good results. I now have a bit over 1200 miles and have not seen any signs of looseness develop.

@Sidecutter > The width of your opening needs to be extended all the way to the lower side (bottom) of the cover following the contours down to the trough. There is no need to restrict the intake air at this point.
Enthusiast
2009 Aprilia SC250, 2016 Piaggio BV350
Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:09 am quote
Thanks from an Aprilia sportcity rider.
ponydrvr,

Thanks for your and project posting, it helped guide my project on my Aprilia Sportcity 250.

I had started on mine before someone posted back on my thread of your efforts. While I took a slightly different route, we are doing the same thing.

I decided to post how I did my airbox mod - which is the same airbox you guys have - so that someone could explore other options if desired.
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?243738-SC250-Airbox-Mod

Jerry
Molto Verboso
Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:36 am quote
Not sure if I can enlarge that end anymore. The space is too tight in that little curved end area, the plate is already installed so I can't get in that way. It's already much larger than the hose was, so I'm not sure if it would make a noticeable difference at this point in terms of airflow.
Molto Verboso
Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:10 pm quote
It's done, the 2-part liquid epoxy seemed rock solid after 24 hours when tested. I could have ripped the plate out if I gave a hard enough yank, but that's a totally different sort of stress than the vibration it needs to survive. Filled in that unintentional gap on both sides with some 1hr marine epoxy putty from JB Weld. Tested by centerstanding it and rolling the throttle open until it passed 7kRPM, then taking it for a spin around the neighborhood. Sounds just a hair "throatier" and louder, I think, can't tell yet how much it has changed the behavior. Also took the tires up to 39.5/32.5/32.5 since I'm heavier, and that felt pretty good too.

On, and Pony, you were NOT kidding about that oil being tacky. When I sprayed the filter, I gave it very quick passes, spraypaint style, rotated 90 degrees, repeated, flipped, repeat, then worked and folded and squished the foam all around...and man, that stuff was super tacky even just that light. Took dish soap and a stiff brush to get it off my hands...

Also, the airbox screws are a PAIN to get back in, blah.
Molto Verboso
Honda CTX 700D
Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:48 pm quote
Magnetize a #2 Phillips head screwdriver before you reinsert the screws. Then use a light probing motion to find the center hole and it goes pretty quick IMHO.
Molto Verboso
Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:35 pm quote
ponydrvr wrote:
Magnetize a #2 Phillips head screwdriver before you reinsert the screws. Then use a light probing motion to find the center hole and it goes pretty quick IMHO.
Didn't have the magnets to re-mag my screwdriver, but I dug out the magnetized driver-bit holder for the drill, and used it without inserting into the drill to help. Still a pain in the butt though, and if they were off from the hole, they would more or less refuse to be maneuved into it, for me. I'm gonna blame Guido for not making the posts longer so the screwholes could all be shallow.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
RIP: MP3 500 - Brutto Moto
Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:02 am quote
Sidecutter wrote:
ponydrvr wrote:
Didn't have the magnets to re-mag my screwdriver, but I dug out the magnetized driver-bit holder for the drill, and used it without inserting into the drill to help. Still a pain in the butt though, and if they were off from the hole, they would more or less refuse to be maneuved into it, for me. I'm gonna blame Guido for not making the posts longer so the screwholes could all be shallow.
Best tip I got was file off the end of the screw so it's not so dang pointy. The sharp point is what catches.
Molto Verboso
Honda CTX 700D
Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:13 am quote
Yea, airbox cover screws should ALL be flat tipped and not pointy little things.
Molto Verboso
Piaggio mp3 500
Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:06 pm quote
Got my airbox yesterday. Installed it. Marvelous!!!!! Wow, what a difference. Tried it around the neighborhood and in the school parking lot. Will try it on the road this weekend if no rain. Just got my wings back after having rotator cuff surgery last Oct. 13. Nice to be riding again and with more power!
Addicted
Previously:Fuoco 500ie with Active Suspension. Now: CTX700
Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:41 am quote
ponydrvr wrote:
Yea, airbox cover screws should ALL be flat tipped and not pointy little things.
I had my airbox of the other day to do the tappets, so while I was there I decided to round off the (flat) tips of the airbox screws with my linisher. Boy that made a difference on how easily they went in. Amazing!

Gonzo.
Lurker
MP3 500
Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:45 pm quote
Has anyone needed to do any remapping with the air box mods and a pipe?
Hooked
Two - 2009 Genuine Buddy 125s
Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:04 am quote
ponydrvr

This sounds like a good mod from the feedback I have read tonight.

A couple of questions - I have read through all the pages of this thread, but it's getting late and I'm sleepy, so please forgive me if you have clarified any of this someplace already.

1. I take it this mod works on 500s as well, as I see a bunch of 500 folks posting....?
2. Do you still have some of these to sell?
3. Did I understand you to say that you can do the mod for someone if they are to ship you their airbox?
4. If so, how long does it take you to modify it and ship it back once you get the package?
5. How much are you charging? I saw something that said $20, but I'm sure that was just the cost of you shipping the part to some one to do the mod themselves. There was some mention (I thought) of extra for you to do this (which is only fair), but I can't recall seeing the $$ amount.
6. How much is an airbox?, or do you maybe have an airbox you can ship to people--to rent for a fee while you are doing the mod? ...or can the bike be ridden without the airbox for a brief time if I put steel wool or mesh over the opening when the airbox is removed.

I have 3 scooters, and I rotate through them (and I have a cage or two for bad weather), so having my 500 running is not going to affect my getting to work...I'm just concerned about having the bike sitting around for too long. More than 2 weeks, and I start getting nervous, even using Seafoam and a battery tender, since I don't know how to drain the float of the carburetor.

Again--apologies if you have answered any of this earlier...
Veni, Vidi, Posti
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD; 2017 Versys X300
Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:47 am quote
PonyDriver will answer most of you questions, but here are two.

400 and 500 have same air box.

Nothing wrong with seafoam or battery tender but as for draining carburator, you do not have a one on your MP3, it is fuel injected.
Ossessionato
MP3 500, Ducati ST4s, Honda Silver Wing
Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:51 am quote
Michelle; since Fuzzy already answered some of your issues I will just add the mod is an extremely easy one to do. I had a slight issue with the plate not sitting in the airbox the way I thought it should which I resolved using an air tool to remove a few mm from the plate; but perfectly acceptable tools have been available since the stone age. The hardest part is getting all the screws back in; which you will have to do either way. I would just have him send a plate if it was me. Order the Malossi double sponge air filter and do the mod and change your filter when it fits your schedule best.
Molto Verboso
Honda CTX 700D
Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:15 am quote
michelle_7728 wrote:
ponydrvr

This sounds like a good mod from the feedback I have read tonight.

A couple of questions - I have read through all the pages of this thread, but it's getting late and I'm sleepy, so please forgive me if you have clarified any of this someplace already.

1. I take it this mod works on 500s as well, as I see a bunch of 500 folks posting....? This mod works with all of the 400/500 engine designs, not just Piaggio MP3's, but Peugot, Aprilla, Moto Guzi and all that use the same style airbox.

2. Do you still have some of these to sell? Yes, I had ordered another set of twenty and the parts remain available..

3. Did I understand you to say that you can do the mod for someone if they are to ship you their airbox? I have and will continue to make the mod for others.

4. If so, how long does it take you to modify it and ship it back once you get the package? Turnaround time, once recieved,is generally less than one week.

5. How much are you charging? I saw something that said $20, but I'm sure that was just the cost of you shipping the part to some one to do the mod themselves. There was some mention (I thought) of extra for you to do this (which is only fair), but I can't recall seeing the $$ amount. The charge for the plate is $20 US. The charge to mod and install your airbox is $30 US. You will pay the shipping both ways. I ask you to include return prepaid shipping via USPS or UPS in the container as well as a return label.

6. How much is an airbox?, or do you maybe have an airbox you can ship to people--to rent for a fee while you are doing the mod? ...or can the bike be ridden without the airbox for a brief time if I put steel wool or mesh over the opening when the airbox is removed. I had a spare airbox cover but it has not yet been returned to me. I don't know what the cover costs. I am told it is available seperately though. DO NOT ride with the airbox filter removed and/or without an airfilter. That is just asking for trouble.

I have 3 scooters, and I rotate through them (and I have a cage or two for bad weather), so having my 500 running is not going to affect my getting to work...I'm just concerned about having the bike sitting around for too long. More than 2 weeks, and I start getting nervous, even using Seafoam and a battery tender, since I don't know how to drain the float of the carburetor.

Again--apologies if you have answered any of this earlier...
No apologies are necessary, I'm always happy to answer questions about this modification.

Last edited by ponydrvr on Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Molto Verboso
Honda CTX 700D
Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:19 am quote
Michelle_7728 > I always recommend the use of Techron fuel additive in place of any of the others available. Testing by BMW has proven that the detergent levels in this product are the highest available and also the most effective. One caution is to not exceed the recommended dosage though.
Molto Verboso
NC700XD
Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:18 pm quote
Where's a good place to get the (double layer) Malossi filter? Every place I've checked wants more for shipping than the filter is worth.
Ossessionato
MP3 500, Ducati ST4s, Honda Silver Wing
Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:36 pm quote
Cagedodger wrote:
Where's a good place to get the (double layer) Malossi filter? Every place I've checked wants more for shipping than the filter is worth.
I got mine from ScooterWest for $16.95 + shipping; but I had ordered other things as well so I can't say what shipping would be just for the filter.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:38 pm quote
Cagedodger wrote:
maybe get together with a few folks in your area and combine orders to help consolidate shipping costs. don't forget to think about a spare filter as well.
Addicted
Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:58 pm quote
<^>(-_-)<^>

Last edited by JTbme on Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Veni, Vidi, Posti
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD; 2017 Versys X300
Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:06 pm quote
Bought mine from scooter west. Bought two so I can have one ready to swap out.
Addicted
'10 Aprilia Mana GT
Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:52 am quote
@speedy:
Quote:
Has anyone needed to do any remapping with the air box mods and a pipe?
Can't speak to the pipe part but when I did the K&N filter and then the current ponydrv 'Airbox Mod', no remapping was needed. I believe the ECU auto-adjusts to the intake volume.
Enthusiast
MP3 500
Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:40 am quote
Hope you still have more Pony, because I'd love to do this. Would match my Akrapovic exhaust nicely
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:24 am quote
ijoe wrote:
Hope you still have more Pony, because I'd love to do this. Would match my Akrapovic exhaust nicely
and it does compliment it. send him your outer cover he will do the mod and send it back.
Molto Verboso
Honda CTX 700D
Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:35 pm quote
ijoe wrote:
Indeed I do. I can do for you or send you the plate. PM me and we can review.
Molto Verboso
None
Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:43 pm quote
Fuzzy wrote:
Bought mine from scooter west. Bought two so I can have one ready to swap out.
Ahh...When I ordered from them in September all they had were the single-density filters. Now I see they have the dual.
Enthusiast
MP3 500
Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:42 am quote
ponydrvr wrote:
ijoe wrote:
Indeed I do. I can do for you or send you the plate. PM me and we can review.
Sent you a PM before, but I guess it didn't go through. There should be another one coming your way. Thanks
Enthusiast
MP3 500
Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:41 am quote
I'm guessing Pony didn't have a chance to send the plate before his unfortunate accident I wish him the best and hope he gets better soon.

Does anyone have any advice on an easy airbox mod I can do in the meantime? Emphasis on the easy.
Addicted
'10 Aprilia Mana GT
Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:35 am quote
Quote:
Does anyone have any advice on an easy airbox mod I can do in the meantime? Emphasis on the easy.
You could do what I did. Make your own plate:
- Copy the template from page 1 of this thread.
- Using whatever viewer/printing application you like, blow up the template in stages, print, and cut out pattern.
- Once you you have the right size, transfer to a piece of oil-resistant plastic.
- From there, just follow the procedure given on this thread's page 1 with great pictures.

Your other slightly more difficult option is the go the K&N filter route which will cost ~$60 in filters/hoses/clamps.
Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:10 am quote
ponydrvr wrote:
my hats off to you, sir
2009 MP3 400ie
Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:33 am quote
I'm interested. Can you include instructions outlining the steps needed to do the mod?
Molto Verboso
Honda CTX 700D
Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:40 am quote
ijoe and others,

I still have some plates remaining and available for sale. I completely missed your pm's.

Anyone still interested just let me know and as long as the plates remain available I'll be happy to get them to you.
Molto Verboso
Honda CTX 700D
Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:41 am quote
CBCC12 wrote:
I'm interested. Can you include instructions outlining the steps needed to do the mod?
I have a spare airbox cover that I can modify for you and include the plate.

Let me know if you are interested.
Addicted
MP3 500, Lambretta GP TS1 225
Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:47 am quote
ponydrvr wrote:
CBCC12 wrote:
I have a spare airbox cover that I can modify for you and include the plate.

Let me know if you are interested.
I'll take seconds on that offer!

Let me know either way.

Cheers,
Tross
2009 MP3 400ie
Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:36 pm quote
Tross,

Go ahead and take it. I have to wait awhile before I get the mod.

Craig
Addicted
MP3 500, Lambretta GP TS1 225
Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:09 am quote
Guess the k&n filter is going back on while ponydrvr does his magic. I loved the k&n but I got caught in a rather bad thunderstorm and didn't like the boggness that happened. With this mod it looks like the best of both worlds.

Cheers,
Tross
Rallies Europe 2016   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion Previous12345678Next
[ Time: 0.2321s ][ Queries: 25 (0.1065s) ][ Debug on ]