Airbox modifications
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion Previous12345678
Hooked
GTS300, CRF1000 & Moto 6.5
Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:54 am quote
... and installed it today.

the first thing that I notice is that the sound is bit more throatier, but not much louder, which is nice. if the accelerator is gently applied, once could cruise through city really without any heads turning. even if the "pedal to metal" approach supersized, one gets deeper, throatier sound, but nothing repulsive loud. thumbs up!

the second thing one notice is the response in the mid rpms. can not tell how much faster it goes, but the feeling is that is dong just fine when filtering through city.

third is the highway, unfortunately, I had only limited opportunity today. will update this comment once have more experience.

the fourth is that in low rpms I really do not see much of an improvement, but maybe this requires ECU learning curve.

was real fun to play with this! next serious tuning effort will be the exhaust. sound-wise, my preference is with DAM from Belgium, but for MP3 it would need to be custom made. also like the idea of using universal sport direct flow through muffler, just need to find one which is street legal.
Enthusiast
ET2 MP3
Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:12 pm quote
Question: Does this mod still apply to more contemporary MP3's. If not, what would the model cutoff be?

Thanks!
Molto Verboso
Kymco AK550
Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:20 am quote
phlegmer wrote:
Question: Does this mod still apply to more contemporary MP3's. If not, what would the model cutoff be?

Thanks!
There is no magic bullet for this. If you don't establish a performance baseline you will never know whether you are making things better or worse. I strongly suggest that you use GPS recording over a set route to do this and make sure that traffic and road conditions are clear enough to get a consistent result. Unless you want to make the effort to work like this you will have to settle for weight saving as the tangible improvement. I used a Garmin gps with Garmin basecamp as the basic tool for comparison. There is also a tool called GPS Babel which will allow GPS data to be analyzed and used to create graphs.

Final point is to say that increasing the diameter of intake and/or exhaust to obtain improvement in air flow ( hence power ) is a complete myth because there is no steady state flow in an engine, especially a single cylinder one. Its all about resonance and when you change the geometry you can easily put the resonance out of sync with the camshaft/valve timing. This could make a small improvement in one part of the rev range but may cause a massive power loss at some other point. The good news is that the MP3 transmission behaves predictably so the engine doesn't need much response under 5000 rpm ( assuming you ride flat out of course). Improvements are possible through trial and error but its painstaking work.
Enthusiast
ET2 MP3
Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:20 pm quote
Sooooo....I shouldn't swap my modded airbox from my old 2009 to my new-to-me 2019?
Molto Verboso
Kymco AK550
Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:26 am quote
phlegmer wrote:
Sooooo....I shouldn't swap my modded airbox from my old 2009 to my new-to-me 2019?
No harm in trying it. You obviously have plenty of experience and enjoy looking for improvements. There are many less rewarding activities.
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion Previous12345678
[ Time: 0.2862s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0927s) ][ Debug on ]