Video Mule, ready for riding season!
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Reprehensible Misinformant
Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:05 pm quote
In order to use my Samsung SportCam Digital video recorder to it's fullest, I've leveraged my GPS mount AND added a rear-facing mount to my GTS for attaching my external sport cam to. This way I can quickly capture either the ride ahead, or the riders behind me (I DO ride a Dragon red GTS after all!) or even to my side.

The rear mount is quite sturdy, mounted to an unused engine casting, and the perspective from that low should yield some interesting footage.

The camera can be pointed in a variety of directions, including to my side. Here's a small example I tried last weekend, from the rear-view stalk mount. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-RMzOwB45A

Looking forward to using it in Seattle at AmeriVespa (my former state of residence) and of course around the numerous venues in So. Cal. I frequently ride!

I've created a DVD with music of some prior scootering experiences, taken primarily with handheld devices. When I can't ride, for weather or schedule, I can pop the DVD in, and enjoy that! What the hell! It beats Pinochle.

DSC01877.JPG

DSC01876.JPG

DSC01881.JPG

DSC01879.JPG

Hooked
GT200 "the blue hybiscus", BV350 "green giant"
Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:11 pm quote
Pretty awesome! I look forward to more videos.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:12 pm quote
star
Pat wrote:
Pretty awesome! I look forward to more videos.
Well you DO star in the YouTube sample! You'll see plenty more (ad naseum) vidoes outta this set-up!
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:20 pm quote
I am so stealing that rear-mount idea!
Banned
M@
Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:37 pm quote
fantastic mount location !
Ossessionato
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794
Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:49 pm quote
Looks great Matt. Can you tell us more about your camera set up? What is your review of the Samsung SportCam Digital video recorder? It comes with that bullet cam right?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:06 pm quote
Review
Tikka Masala wrote:
Looks great Matt. Can you tell us more about your camera set up? What is your review of the Samsung SportCam Digital video recorder? It comes with that bullet cam right?
Yes, it does and that was a compelling reason for us to pick it. We needed to replace a 12 year old analog Video Camcorder before a family trip to Hawaii, and after raising our two boys (men) we realized that nobody wants to watch a continuous hour+ of ANYTHING we would do (even us).

This unit will record "snippets" of up to 20 minutes on Sony type memory sticks, it is QUITE small, water resistant, and of course the included bullet cam.

I can combine, edit, and add titles etc. to numerous snippets taken on this camera on the confuser at home. The bullet cam included straps etc. for a helmet, but not at 60+ mph on a scooter. Maybe for skiing or something.

The quality is at least as good as my 12 year old analog camera was (but somewhat better than the YouTube sample) but not "superb". Fine for what I do with it, at frankly it looks better once burned to DVD, and played on a TV monitor. The unit is well made, and receives compliments whenever we take it out to use it. The main camera is quite small, and fits in my jacket pocket as I ride. You start and stop the recording with a small switch on the line between the bullet-cam and the main cam.

Well, we bought it, used it for vacation and not much since. The boys are grown, so not too much "video" action there (they won't even allow it, usually greeting me with a finger of some sort) So, it now lives in my topcase, ready to grab scooter action whenever I want to.
Molto Verboso
2006 Fly 150
Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:12 pm quote
I wondered about that camera also, its a cool idea.

Great mount locations, that rear one is awesome.
Ossessionato
Many

Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:56 pm quote
With it being attached where it is, I would think that you would not only get heavy engine vibration but also feel every bump in the road. Do you have any rear mounted video you can share with us?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:27 pm quote
Vibration.
cfargo wrote:
With it being attached where it is, I would think that you would not only get heavy engine vibration but also feel every bump in the road. Do you have any rear mounted video you can share with us?
I can guarantee that the engine vibrates LESS at that point of mounting than the rear-view mirror stalks which dance like crazy, plus the RAM mount balls are rubber. Will upload sample onto YouTube. The road aberrations are fine, part of the "ride". No more or less than at the mirror stalks.
Ossessionato
Many

Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:55 pm quote
My preferred mounting point for forward video is mounting to a front rack with the ram mounts. I found this to be the most vibration free point. I don't care for the mounting anywhere on the headset as I like the video staying stationary with the scooter and not moving every time you make any movement with the handlebars.

Using a light peanut camera like you are doing is much more stable than trying to videotape with an actual camcorder or camera.

When you get a chance, please do share a video from your rear mount facing to the rear.

Last edited by cfargo on Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ossessionato
Several - see sig
Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:58 pm quote
cfargo wrote:
Do you have any rear mounted video you can share with us?
Ossessionato
Many

Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:06 pm quote
What position was the video camera mounted at when you shot the video posted above as it appears to show very little vibration. It appears to be from too high of an angle to be from the rear mount, or is it just me.

Last edited by cfargo on Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hooked
GT200 "the blue hybiscus", BV350 "green giant"
Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:16 pm quote
Re: Video Mule, ready for riding season!
mattgordon wrote:
The camera can be pointed in a variety of directions, including to my side. Here's a small example I tried last weekend, from the rear-view stalk mount. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-RMzOwB45A

I believe the answer to your question is in the quote from the original post above.
Ossessionato
Many

Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:21 pm quote
Pat wrote:
mattgordon wrote:

I believe the answer to your question is in the quote from the original post above.
I assumed it was from elsewhere as it appears to be from a higher angle then down low on the transmission case. I guess that is what I get for assuming. This does appear to be very stable. Did yall do any with the camera facing rearward?
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:11 pm quote
cfargo wrote:
I assumed it was from elsewhere as it appears to be from a higher angle then down low on the transmission case. I guess that is what I get for assuming. This does appear to be very stable. Did yall do any with the camera facing rearward?
I think the quote meant mirror ("rear view stalk mount"). Correct?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:24 pm quote
jess wrote:
cfargo wrote:
I think the quote meant mirror ("rear view stalk mount"). Correct?
Si.
Ossessionato
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794
Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:42 am quote
So the bullet camera has the female camera thread hole then and you hooked it right into this?

OT .... Also in this pic I see the first glimpse of your embroidered Vespa logo on your topcase pad. can you show us a closer pic? I LOVE IT from what I can see.
Hooked
P200e
Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:03 am quote
Oh jeese, is this something else I'll have to get involved in? that is so cool. two questions? About how much does a set up like this cost, or is that uncool to ask? second question, can you switch, at will, between the two cameras during the same filming sequince?
The scenery in south Texas would be no where as nice as some of you guys get though.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:17 am quote
RAM Mounts
Tikka Masala wrote:
So the bullet camera has the female camera thread hole then and you hooked it right into this?

OT .... Also in this pic I see the first glimpse of your embroidered Vespa logo on your topcase pad. can you show us a closer pic? I LOVE IT from what I can see.
Yes, that's exactly the piece, and the Bullet-Cam does have the standard tripod-mount threading in it. The tranny-case mounting point is this piece, and I used the Aluminum 5.25" arm to mount it to.

OT-The rear of the seat and the topcase pad are both embroidered....you can only see one of them at the time, and complements my red stitching.

ramb272.jpeg

DSC01697.JPG

DSC01700.JPG

Ossessionato
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794
Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:08 am quote
HOTTNESSS!!!!! I love it. Thanks for the pics Matt.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:02 pm quote
rear-facing video
I can guarantee that the engine vibrates LESS at that point of mounting than the rear-view mirror stalks which dance like crazy, plus the RAM mount balls are rubber. Will upload sample onto YouTube. The road aberrations are fine, part of the "ride". No more or less than at the mirror stalks.[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A86sj8SKOX0

Last edited by gogogordy on Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ossessionato
2012 BMW G650GS, 2006 GTS,
Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:18 pm quote
That is a pretty cool set up Matt! Can you reverse the tranny mount to get a low down forward shot too?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:25 pm quote
Low and forward
grscum wrote:
That is a pretty cool set up Matt! Can you reverse the tranny mount to get a low down forward shot too?
Yeah, sort of. Half the picture is part of the scooter from there. I'm working on a mount attaching to the side-stand bracket that would be a preferred location for that. Meantime, the mirror stalk works great for forward, but the low perspective is more dramatic I think.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:30 am quote
Video uploaded
Took YouTube most of the day to post this, but here it is....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A86sj8SKOX0
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:36 am quote
That's pretty cool!
Molto Verboso
2006 Fly 150
Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:04 am quote
Cool video, nice job.
Addicted
gt200
Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:21 am quote
I was checking out this camera for Mt. Biking. It seems to be awesome, but I think I'm going to wait for the next version with better image quality.

But I think you will get some great shots from it.

I really like the shots from the lower back mount. That location feel very movie like.

I very rare that you get to capture a eclipse....lol

eclipse.jpg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:21 am quote
Image quality
xman wrote:
I was checking out this camera for Mt. Biking. It seems to be awesome, but I think I'm going to wait for the next version with better image quality.

But I think you will get some great shots from it.

I really like the shots from the lower back mount. That location feel very movie like.

I very rare that you get to capture a eclipse....lol
The image quality is actually a lot BETTER than it appears on YouTube, its not PERFECT but plenty good enough., and better than it looks (?)

Yup, how 'bout that.... catching a rare Temecula-Only full solar-eclipse....I thought so too. What a stroke of luck.
Addicted
gt200
Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:40 am quote
Wasn't shoot'n down your new cam, I personal just want more resolution, you know. It's a great cam for the price though!

here's a good review (although might be slight oder/different model, uk: http://www.bcchardware.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2533&Itemid=40

other vid sample: http://www.bcchardware.com/gallery/albums/SC-X210L/sportcam.wmv

Look forward to seeing some of your video!!

x
Hooked
VESPA ( ET & GT)
Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:20 pm quote
Re: RAM Mounts
GT's seat on GTS
very nice....
Hooked
oooww
Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:51 am quote
I like the seat
Hooked
Vespa Lx50 2-Stroke
Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:20 pm quote
those tranny cams are awesome looks like an r/c car

keep up the good work

cumps
Molto Verboso
08 GTS 250, 79 P200E, 62 Allstate
Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:23 am quote
Been a while since I've been on this board. Matt, that cam setup is AWESOME! I love it. Good job!

I'd love to see clips next time you ride up to Idlewild.
Addicted
GTSie 250 - Black Its the New Red
Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:47 am quote
Great job. I really like some of the interesting camera angles.
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
[ Time: 0.5631s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0727s) ][ Debug on ]