My wife wants a MP3-500 as her first "bike", so I need to ask a few questions. (I'm a Goldwing motorcycle rider myself)
1. Are the maintenance costs typical per any 500cc motorcycle?
2. Where to you order parts from? (eg Would like to locate an Online source)
3. Any unusual difficulties obtaining parts? (I heard mention of 6 week delays, for other Piaggio scooter parts)
4. Is it easy to work on? Any specialty tools typically required? --(I wrench on bikes all the time).
5. Service manuals availalable?
6. How long do the brakes (pads, rotors) typically last? --Given that the bike is an Automatic, I presume that you can't use the engine for braking, and hence the brake wear is greater.
7. How long do the stock tires last?
8. Where do you order tires from? (eg Only Piaggio?) My big concern is for long-distance riding, for which it might be difficult to find a replacement tire out in the sticks.
9. Is the stock-windshield generally acceptable for either cold weather, or extended high speeds? (eg Is a large windshield req'd?)
10. How long do these vehicals last? (Highest I've heard of is 25k)
11. Here in CA a "Trike" does not require a Motorcycle License... So then, are all the MP3's considered Trikes? (eg I hear that some have a narrower front wheel base that does not fit the CA definition of trike... Am unsure if those narrow models are sold in the US or not)
12. Are the MP3's prone to Clogging, as typical of most small bikes when having sat parked for more than 3 weeks? (eg I hear that they are Fuel Injected, which typically means that they can sit longer than a bike using carbs)