@mike_holland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super 2015 Blue, GTS300 Super 2023 Beige

Ossessionato
@mike_holland avatar
UTC quote
OK, so problems come in threes, and I am dreading the third!

But in the meanwhile, here are the first two:

1. Starting problem.
I switch on all the relevant switches, press the starter button, and nothing happens. On about the third press the starter motor wakes up and the engine takes. This is not a carburettor problem. It feels more like a faulty wiring contact, or a flat battery. Any other suggestions before I investigate these two suspects?

2. The saddle lock won't unlock.
I have to open the cubby and use the override lever to open the saddle. With the saddle open, I have locked the mechanism and operated the switch. I can hear the mechanism activated, but the lock does not budge. So the problem is under the back of the body, where the electrical signal gets translated into a mechanical response. The Piaggio Workshop manual and the Haynes manual don't offer any help, so I will just have to get in there and figure it out (or go to the agents - a 1-hour ride away).

Any advice gratefully received.
Mike
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
UTC quote
On #1, are you holding one of the brakes all the way? How about trying the opposite brake instead?

Just thinking that one of the interlocks might be screwing up the starting process.
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Consume Less & Share More

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
UTC quote
Re: GT200 Starting problem, Saddle lock problem
Mike Holland wrote:
1. Starting problem.
I switch on all the relevant switches, press the starter button, and nothing happens. On about the third press the starter motor wakes up and the engine takes. This is not a carburettor problem. It feels more like a faulty wiring contact, or a flat battery. Any other suggestions before I investigate these two suspects?
Good call, Jess.
The brake lever interlock switches are the same switches that activate the rear brake light. If the brake light comes on, the switch is okay. The only other switches in-play are the engine kill switch, and the starter button. The transient nature of your problem suggests these two switches are okay. The most-likely candidate is your starter relay. It probably has pitted contacts.
OP
@mike_holland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@mike_holland avatar
UTC quote
Thanks, Guys.

I may have been forgetting to pull in the lever. Memory goes with old age! Will bear that in mind ovwer the next few days and see whether that solves the problem. You do some things out of habit, and then cannot recall whether you did them or not!

Regarding problem 2, I will wait for some sunshine (it is drizzling now) as I need good light for working in the body. Some problem in the connection between the relay/actuator and the lock, I guess.

Mike
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
UTC quote
Well, that's a relief.

I looked-up the starter relay today, just in case you needed one. The ET, LX, and GT all use part #583684. The PX uses a different relay.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0340s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0085s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]