MP3_500: How2 Bleed Tilt Lock
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Addicted
2008 MP3-500
Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:01 pm quote
Here's how to Bleed the Tilt Lock:

1) Open the front fairings to access the fluid resevoir. Note that moved it as shown (optional) in order to to more easily access it.

2) Rig up a Vacuum Bleeder tool, with an End to fit the resevoir, then use it to empty the resevoir by apply vacuum using a MityVac or equivalent.

3) Rig up a Syringe as shown, to either of the bleed nipples on the lower end of the shock. Fill the syringe before hand (removing any air prior to use), with brake fluid. I used a syringe that I had on-hand, sold for adjusting the oil level in motorcycle forks.

4) Put the bike onto the centerstand, and DISENGAGE the tilt lock (otherwise you can't move any fluid through the system!)

5) Use a wrench to open the bleed nipple (aprox 1/4-turn), then use the syringe to Push fluid into the bleed nipple, while simultaneously vacuuming fluid out the resevoir on top... The fluid will move very slowly, taking about 5-minutes to fill the container. Close nipple when done.

6) Now go to the other side of the bike, and bleed the 2nd nipple the same way, closing when done.

7) Top off the resevoir, leaving room (~1/2") to install the cap.
Molto Verboso
Piaggio mp3 500
Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:16 am quote
Bleed hydrolics
Thanks Funky. It turned out that I had installed a Stabil horn a while back and it wanted a 15 amp fuse rather than a 7.5Bike stood up and lights came up on the dash.
2008 Piaggio Mp3 250 / 2001 Vespa ET4 150 / 100th Harley Davidson Sportster / 1957 Triumph Cornet
Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:03 pm quote
Hi, thanks for the post. I'm triying to bleed the tilt lock but I'm very frustrated so far. I don't have that kind of vaccum pump that you show, I do have this one that I use for my car:

I started with the bike with the tilt lock disengaged then I put the hose on one the the nipples and start to suck out the old fluid, I did it on both sides then I filled the reservoir and beging to suck again the new fluid out from the nipples. I did it a bunch of times and now I can't lock the system and I get a constant beep that never stops.

The syringe it's the only way to go with these?. I don't have your type of vaccum pump so can I charge the fluid from the niples till it gets the reservoir? I'm pretty confused sorry about that. I bleeded the front brakes too and I dont have enough presure on the lever either now, I will try a couple of methods that are described here before posting anything else related with the brakes. I do appreciate if you can help me with this tilt lock issue.

Thank you!
Addicted
2008 MP3-500
Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:13 pm quote
Sounds like you first Removed all the Fluid (completely emptying the tilt lock system) prior to re-filling it? ...If so, then that was not required, and has probably introduced a lot of air into the system, which now needs to be bleed out... and you did same for the brake system.

Usually (for any brake lines) leave the old fluid installed, then introduce new fluid to replace the old stuff, as it get's drawn through the system (eg This prevents any air entering the lines) --You Can empty the master resevoir first, for cleaning, but then you must fill it with new fluid prior to pulling fluid through the lines

For the tilt lock, I found that you Do have to Reverse-bleed the system... I only know how to do that using a Syringe (as earlier shown)... you could probably find one at a hobby store, along with a length of rubber tubing with which to attach to the bleed nipple.

Anyhow, you need to come up with a Syringe and reverse-bleed both systems now until all that air is gone... For the brakes, that ought not to be a big deal... I don't know how long the it will be for the Tild Lock though.
2008 Piaggio Mp3 250 / 2001 Vespa ET4 150 / 100th Harley Davidson Sportster / 1957 Triumph Cornet
Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:05 pm quote
ALEXB wrote:
Sounds like you first Removed all the Fluid (completely emptying the tilt lock system) prior to re-filling it? ...If so, then that was not required, and has probably introduced a lot of air into the system, which now needs to be bleed out... and you did same for the brake system.

Usually (for any brake lines) leave the old fluid installed, then introduce new fluid to replace the old stuff, as it get's drawn through the system (eg This prevents any air entering the lines) --You Can empty the master resevoir first, for cleaning, but then you must fill it with new fluid prior to pulling fluid through the lines

For the tilt lock, I found that you Do have to Reverse-bleed the system... I only know how to do that using a Syringe (as earlier shown)... you could probably find one at a hobby store, along with a length of rubber tubing with which to attach to the bleed nipple.

Anyhow, you need to come up with a Syringe and reverse-bleed both systems now until all that air is gone... For the brakes, that ought not to be a big deal... I don't know how long the it will be for the Tild Lock though.
Hi Alexb, thanks for the answer, I really appreciate, here is the thing, I usually do that too, clean the master cylinder and then pour the new one in and bleed but this time I took all the brake lines off the bike because I had to change some bearings so when I installed all back in again I started to had this problem.

So basically, put brake fluid trough the lines from the nipple till I fill up the reservoir, am I right?.
Addicted
2008 MP3-500
Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:45 pm quote
consigliere wrote:
...So basically, put brake fluid trough the lines from the nipple till I fill up the reservoir, am I right?.
> Yes
> If the brakes still do not firm up, then Some have had success by squeezing the brake lever overnight (using a clamp), which acts to remove a stubborn air bubble at the master cylinder.

So far as the Tilt Lock goes... You typically are able to ride the bike just fine even with the (5-beeps at startup) Alarm going off. Therefore, try to bleed it, but if not successful then you can probably just take a spin on the bike, and then try bleeding it a second time... the Ride will probably help dislodge any remaining air bubbles... that's my hunch.
Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:16 pm quote
ALEXB wrote:
consigliere wrote:
...So basically, put brake fluid trough the lines from the nipple till I fill up the reservoir, am I right?.
> Yes
> If the brakes still do not firm up, then Some have had success by squeezing the brake lever overnight (using a clamp), which acts to remove a stubborn air bubble at the master cylinder.

So far as the Tilt Lock goes... You typically are able to ride the bike just fine even with the (5-beeps at startup) Alarm going off. Therefore, try to bleed it, but if not successful then you can probably just take a spin on the bike, and then try bleeding it a second time... the Ride will probably help dislodge any remaining air bubbles... that's my hunch.
Great man!, I will try your method I think this weekend and let you know how it goes, so far as I told you before I can't engage the tilt but previously it was working just fine. I read about the clamped lever so I will leave it like that for 24hrs too. Thank you again!
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:00 pm quote
there is an easier way and the official way

Just fill from the bottum slowly and under the wiperengine rightside of the bike (exhaustside ) there is a blackcap with a screw under the cap turn the screw 4 times all the way to the right and left

turn on the ignation and turn the screw back till the beep stops and your done
Hooked
Piaggio Liberty S 150 (Retired: Piaggio MP3 500)
Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:41 am quote
Maksor wrote:
there is an easier way and the official way

Just fill from the bottum slowly and under the wiperengine rightside of the bike (exhaustside ) there is a blackcap with a screw under the cap turn the screw 4 times all the way to the right and left

turn on the ignation and turn the screw back till the beep stops and your done
Okay, I'd be all about an easier way to bleed the tilt...but sorry Maksor, I can't for the life of me decipher what you're trying to say here; can you post a picture or two when you get a chance? Thanks man!
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:59 am quote
all ready did somewhere
Addicted
2008 MP3-500
Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:45 am quote
Maksor wrote:
all ready did somewhere
Perhaps this is what you're referring to? http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic101212

...in which case, I read it, but don't understand the guidance about Where the special black cap is
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:33 am quote
its pointed out in the last pic i've posted of the workshop manuel
Lurker
MP3 250
Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:38 pm quote
Tilt lock hydraulic bleeding, works every time.
For 2008-09 MP3 250

1. Remove the windshield Y-shaped trim
2. Remove windshield 6 screws
3. Remove black plastic shield behind windshield 4 screws
4. Note tilt lock actuator, look for black plastic L-shaped door to the lower right, just above where the master cylinder bolts to the right bottom of the actuator.
5. Push left edge of the door to right pops right off, exposing the actuator to master cylinder linkage, One 5mm allen screw. Put a ratchet, extension and allen wrench socket into the link bolt, genitally rotate counterclockwise, watch the direction the link want to move toward side of housing, stop find something to wedge between the link and interior housing side wall to keep link from twisting/moving. Remove screw.
6. There is a cross bar above this location where the windshield rests, stick a screwdriver downward beind and into the lower part of the master cylinder portion of the link, you will use this arrangement to pump the plunger down to create pressure just as you do with your brake master cylinder leaver.
7. Wrap a rag around the tilt lock next to the front shock, note brake bleeder on top 10mm.
8. Very carefully push down keeping the master cylinder link moving in a straight direction. When it gets to the bottom of the stroke hold pressure as you loosen the bleeder, continue to hold as the air/brake fluid #4 brake fluid bleeds out, it will go further than you think, tighten bleeder, release pressure on master cylinder link.
9. Do above till clear fluid comes out without air in both sides, KEEP THE RESERVOIR FULL AT ALL TIMES, you will note the height of the master cylinder will eventually rest at a higher position and be firm when pressed.
10. Reinstall the master cylinder tilt actuator link screw, careful to block it's movement, do not let it twist.
10. Turn on ignition, you should now be able to engage and disengage at will with only the ignition on. NO LOUD NASTY HORN BLOWING. Reassemble in reverse order.

It is helpful to note, when working on your scooter, remind it verbally, yes people will think your crazy, but who cares. Repeat after me, I am the master of my universe, no matter how small it it, and no machine is going to kick my ass!"

Happy Wrenching.
[/list][/list]
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:37 am quote
Easier to push the fluid up from the calipers with a 60cc or 100cc syringe.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1999s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0765s) ][ Debug on ]