This Is England
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123
Author Message
Molto Verboso
2011 300GTV
Joined: 16 Jun 2011
Posts: 1352
Location: Agate Fossil Beds, Nebraska
Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:24 pm quote
I guess you could equate it with the Rebel Flag. Though Im not supporting that either.
Ossessionato
2008 Red Honda Deauville & 2007 Portofino Green GTV 250ie
Joined: 03 Oct 2007
Posts: 2639
Location: F**k knows, but my shite nav does.....
Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:27 pm quote
RangerAJ wrote:
I guess you could equate it with the Rebel Flag. Though Im not supporting that either.
You've lost me there fella......
Hooked
2009 S150 "The Falcon"
Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 166
Location: New Orleans
Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:40 pm quote
Capitano wrote:
Much as I like the ThisIsEngland film and TV series THESE are still my favourite skinheads ever.
That was completely surreal.
Ossessionato
X10 350
Joined: 12 Nov 2008
Posts: 2257
Location: London
Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:21 am quote
RangerAJ wrote:
I guess you could equate it with the Rebel Flag. Though Im not supporting that either.
I think you probably have to actually know something about what was going on in the UK at the time to comment on it.
Ossessionato
2008 GTS 300 Super
Joined: 04 Aug 2009
Posts: 2303
Location: Bromsgrove, UK
Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:15 am quote
NOLARabbit wrote:
Capitano wrote:
Much as I like the ThisIsEngland film and TV series THESE are still my favourite skinheads ever.
That was completely surreal.
I remember the Olympic themed stickers of the various characters you used to get in the box, though I can't quite recall if I ever got a full set.

http://www.80sactual.com/2010_05_01_archive.html
Addicted
150 Sprint Veloce, GTS 300s
Joined: 22 Feb 2010
Posts: 755
Location: Rushden Northants, England
Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:31 am quote
I've just noticed that the price has been relisted at 3,999 - looks like they could'nt find a sucker to part with 10 grand then
http://goo.gl/1UNRt
Graham
Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 (sold) MP3 500 (current)
Joined: 11 Jul 2008
Posts: 17846
Location: welaka, florida
Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:45 am quote
Scotty, beam me up.
Except for our tendency to junk up nearby moons, planets and solar system in general, I am proud to be an Earthling.
Ossessionato
1975 Vespa GTR 125, 1976 Vespa V90 (Resto), 2001 Vespa ET4 125 (Sold), 2009 Vespa GTS300 Super
Joined: 05 Sep 2010
Posts: 3865
Location: Northants UK
Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:54 am quote
Another contender for the 'Stupidly Overpriced Award'...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIQUE-CUSTOM-PIAGGIO-VESPA-SCOOTER-ET2-LONDON-A-Z-MUST-SEE-/170794907149?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item27c42b760d

Though I grant you that to hand paint it was certainly something...
Hooked
2009 Piaggio MP3 500
Joined: 05 Feb 2012
Posts: 155
Location: St. Paul, IN
Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:09 am quote
Wow...that is a whole lot of effort to put into ugly.
Molto Verboso
Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 1917

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:15 am quote
At least you will never get lost !
Addicted
honda pcx suzuki burgman
Joined: 22 Oct 2009
Posts: 986
Location: United Kingdom
Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:58 am quote
i dont live in london so usless for me
Addicted
PX200E
Joined: 22 Nov 2011
Posts: 536
Location: Sydney, Australia
Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:45 pm quote
Growing up in Sydney in the eighties all the sub-cultures generally got along. The Mod gave the Punk a nod and a wink as they we're all just trying to be different from the norm. Except for skinheads who were just a pack of arseholes. It seemed the dumbest kids from the worst redneck families were the ones who became skins.
Ossessionato
2009 Vespa GTS 250, TBA
Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 2272
Location: Green Valley, AZ
Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:16 pm quote
brown_beret7 wrote:
Another contender for the 'Stupidly Overpriced Award'...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIQUE-CUSTOM-PIAGGIO-VESPA-SCOOTER-ET2-LONDON-A-Z-MUST-SEE-/170794907149?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item27c42b760d

Though I grant you that to hand paint it was certainly something...
As my late mother used to say, "I'm sure that's very nice, Dear." (translation: "Are you out of your f#@%ing mind?!"
World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
Joined: 02 Jul 2006
Posts: 20397
Location: north shore oahu hawaii usa
Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:00 am quote
BROWN man you have some out of their mind people over there. I guess one can try. While a map would be useful getting on and off your scooter to check the cross streets might be a bit of a pain.
Hooked
2010 GTS 300 Super, 1970 Sprint
Joined: 24 Aug 2008
Posts: 245
Location: San Jose, CA
Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:20 am quote
Skinheads aren't racist. Those people are boneheads.

EDIT: Sorry I was late to the party.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
BV 350, Aprilia SC 300, LX150ie, Buddy 125
Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 5429
Location: Oregon City, OR
Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:39 am quote
judy wrote:
over here we do have a racism issue with the Skin Heads. Whether it's real or not, people "think " they are.
I'd go one step further - in the US the term "skinhead" definitely has a racist connotation. Just because you shave your head, doesn't mean you are a "skinhead" however. Many guys shave their head because they like the look or because there is a practical side to it if you will be in remote areas for extended periods where washing your hair is difficult. (then there are also some who just don't have any hair )
Molto Verboso
2004 ET4, 2003 ET4, 1980 P200, 1963 Li150
Joined: 28 Feb 2007
Posts: 1219
Location: New York City
Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:05 am quote
Dooglas wrote:
judy wrote:
over here we do have a racism issue with the Skin Heads. Whether it's real or not, people "think " they are.
I'd go one step further - in the US the term "skinhead" definitely has a racist connotation. Just because you shave your head, doesn't mean you are a "skinhead" however. Many guys shave their head because they like the look or because there is a practical side to it if you will be in remote areas for extended periods where washing your hair is difficult. (then there are also some who just don't have any hair )
That may be your impression, but not consistent with my experience. I've known many U.S. skinheads, of all political persuasions. Without question, there are plenty of racist skinheads, but there are plenty who are not. Those who say that skinheads necessarily carry a racist connotation are just subscribing to a stereotype, just like any other cultural stereotype.

Brendan
Hooked
2010 GTS 300 Super, 1970 Sprint
Joined: 24 Aug 2008
Posts: 245
Location: San Jose, CA
Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:36 pm quote
hendon wrote:
Those who say that skinheads necessarily carry a racist connotation are just subscribing to a stereotype, just like any other cultural stereotype.
+1. Prejudice is prejudice. Judging someone for how they dress and cut their hair (i.e. their physical appearance, cultural identity, etc.) is just as bad (in my view) as judging someone by the color of their skin. Oh, don't get me wrong, I still judge people--I just tend to do it by their words and actions.

I'll get off my soapbox now. It's just that people automatically labeling skinheads racist is one of my hot buttons.
eeee-bip
BV350 This is what you could have won.
Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 11552
Location: South East Great England of Britishland
Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:39 pm quote
Notice
Actually I could be described as a skinhead, minus the fred perry t shirt, drain pipes and the cherry red air wares.

Bill X
World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
Joined: 02 Jul 2006
Posts: 20397
Location: north shore oahu hawaii usa
Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:31 am quote
HENDON if i would ask people what the term Skin Head means i guarantee people would have a racist element in their response. I have many friends who shave their heads and have quite a few tattoos and they don't think of themselves as skin heads nor do i. IMHO the two are different.
Molto Verboso
2004 ET4, 2003 ET4, 1980 P200, 1963 Li150
Joined: 28 Feb 2007
Posts: 1219
Location: New York City
Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:17 am quote
judy wrote:
HENDON if i would ask people what the term Skin Head means i guarantee people would have a racist element in their response. I have many friends who shave their heads and have quite a few tattoos and they don't think of themselves as skin heads nor do i. IMHO the two are different.
I have no doubt that many people would, but what is it based on? My guess is that it would be based on something they've seen on television, without any actual personal experience of knowing people who actually do identify as skinheads. That's why they're just passing on a stereotype.

I've had several run-ins with actual racist or nazi skinheads in the U.S. and Europe, but many more times hanging out with people who fully identify or have identified as skinheads who are not racists or nazis, and in fact, are their enemies.

Brendan
World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
Joined: 02 Jul 2006
Posts: 20397
Location: north shore oahu hawaii usa
Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:30 am quote
Oh i agree but i'm saying it's a perception. TV, movies,articles all feed into it. Just sayin.
Hooked
GT200
Joined: 12 Apr 2011
Posts: 444
Location: Oregon
Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:13 pm quote
Individual experiences aside, the fact is when 99% of Americans hear "skinhead" they think "racist neo-nazi."
Molto Verboso
2004 ET4, 2003 ET4, 1980 P200, 1963 Li150
Joined: 28 Feb 2007
Posts: 1219
Location: New York City
Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:37 pm quote
lone_airedale wrote:
Individual experiences aside, the fact is when 99% of Americans hear "skinhead" they think "racist neo-nazi."
Quote:
I have no doubt that many people would, but what is it based on? My guess is that it would be based on something they've seen on television, without any actual personal experience of knowing people who actually do identify as skinheads. That's why they're just passing on a stereotype.
It's kind of ironic that the ones who actually know what they're talking about are the ones whose experiences get discounted.

Brendan
Hooked
2010 GTS 300 Super, 1970 Sprint
Joined: 24 Aug 2008
Posts: 245
Location: San Jose, CA
Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:48 pm quote
I know, right? I'll just leave this right here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skinhead
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_skinhead
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skinheads_Against_Racial_Prejudice

Yes, some idiots (who self-identify as skinheads) are racist pigs. That does not mean they all are or even the majority are.


Sigh. I'm just going to quit talking about it. I Busted the Lambretta.

EDIT: Best Easter Egg ever. I.B.T.L.
Hooked
2009 Piaggio MP3 500
Joined: 05 Feb 2012
Posts: 155
Location: St. Paul, IN
Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:03 pm quote
Hi...my name is "This Is England". I am the thread that will never die!
Ossessionato
2009 Vespa GTS 250, TBA
Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 2272
Location: Green Valley, AZ
Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:26 pm quote
I believe that we have established that some odd-looking people are actually good guys, and some are not. Let's leave it at that.
Turnkey 79
Black Bored Out ET2 70cc
Joined: 14 Jan 2011
Posts: 3351
Location: Ingerrrland!
Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:58 am quote
I NEED TO GROW MY HAIR BACK!! lol


Im sorry about that!
Ossessionato
1975 Vespa GTR 125, 1976 Vespa V90 (Resto), 2001 Vespa ET4 125 (Sold), 2009 Vespa GTS300 Super
Joined: 05 Sep 2010
Posts: 3865
Location: Northants UK
Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:29 am quote
PeterC wrote:
I believe that we have established that some odd-looking people are actually good guys, and some are not. Let's leave it at that.
I think we should, otherwise this will run forever!

It started with a pic of a scooter!
Turnkey 79
Black Bored Out ET2 70cc
Joined: 14 Jan 2011
Posts: 3351
Location: Ingerrrland!
Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:36 am quote
Can I leave it shaved then?
Hooked
GT200
Joined: 12 Apr 2011
Posts: 444
Location: Oregon
Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:35 am quote
markysparx wrote:
Can I leave it shaved then?
As long as you wear Doc Martens and a denim jacket with the sleeves cut off.

Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   Maroon Powersports LLC DBA Scooter Centrale   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123
[ Time: 0.2915s ][ Queries: 30 (0.1511s) ][ Debug on ]