UTC

Hooked
2006 Piaggio Fly 150

Hooked
@scootr74 avatar
2006 Piaggio Fly 150
UTC quote
For those who use either,

It has now come time for me to buy leg coverings (i.e.: have the money) and it has come down to a Scooter Skirt or a Thermoscud. With delivery charges and all, there is only $5 or $10 difference in the price of the two.

Does anyone have insight into either product?

Thermoscuds are supposed to have air pockets to keep the apron. But a scooter skirt would go with me no matter what scooter I had.

Does anyone use with of these?

For those of you who do, Any strong opinions pros or cons of either?
@pdxvespa avatar
UTC

Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4

Modératrice
@pdxvespa avatar
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
UTC quote
Derek, you'll find strong partisans of both, and lots of posts to read on this forum. Do a couple of searches here and then let us know if you have more questions!

I'm a happy Termoscud owner myself.

Ciao,

-Deborah
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Scooter Skirt
I just purchased a Scooter Skirt. Wow the difference is amazing. I usually ride with just Levis. When you have that skirt on the wind just can't get through it.

It's really warm and during the winter I think I will keep one under my seat. I really dident think I would like it but once you feel how warm it keeps ya you will wonder why you waited so long to get one.

I got the pink one. I figure if your wearing a skirt it may as well be pink.
Plus The Bastards have a pink Loner Scooter for members with non running scooters. I am thinking of forcing those lucky members to where the pink scooter skirt. Man i got to paint a helmet to match that scooter also....

The really funny thing about the pink Skirt is I got more crap from the Women on the Ride. I guess I scared all the Men or something.
@bjmedd avatar
UTC

Addicted
LX150

Addicted
@bjmedd avatar
LX150
UTC quote
I research the heck out of anything before purchasing and after much site searching and advice from those who have had both...I ended up buying the thermoscud. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you how well it works yet, as we've been too busy to install the darned thing. It'll be Spring soon and we won't have too much of a need for it...ah well.
@mesmer avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GT200

Molto Verboso
@mesmer avatar
GT200
UTC quote
I ride with a scooter skirt, and love it. It was warm this morning so I didn't put it on, which is what I love about it. If you don't need it stays under the seat, not attached to your scooter.

I'm sure a termoscud would keep you a bit warmer but either of them will make your ride much more enjoyable.

Here's a Termoscud for sale in the "For Sale" forum.

[topic9440]
@mesmer avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GT200

Molto Verboso
@mesmer avatar
GT200
UTC quote
Oops, I just realized that you have a Fly150 and the scud I listed is for a GT/GTS.

Sorry
@platinum_ghost avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS >past> Vespa P200E / Suzuki Savage

Hooked
@platinum_ghost avatar
UTC quote
How well does the Skirt stay on at speed? I'm typically doing 75 or so for extended periods. I should think that the Termoscud would not flap around in the same manner as the Skirt. Opinions?
@mesmer avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GT200

Molto Verboso
@mesmer avatar
GT200
UTC quote
platinum_ghost wrote:
How well does the Skirt stay on at speed? I'm typically doing 75 or so for extended periods. I should think that the Termoscud would not flap around in the same manner as the Skirt. Opinions?
I wear mine on the freeway up to indicated speeds of 87mph and it stays exactly where it is supposed to. Don't worry about it catching wind and flying up on you, because that just won't happen.
@platinum_ghost avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@platinum_ghost avatar
UTC quote
What keeps it from flapping? Weight? Legshield? I have a hard time picturing myself in a crosswind without my skirt up at my handlebars...
@mesmer avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GT200

Molto Verboso
@mesmer avatar
GT200
UTC quote
platinum_ghost wrote:
What keeps it from flapping? Weight? Legshield? I have a hard time picturing myself in a crosswind without my skirt up at my handlebars...
Mostly the legshield and that the wind is pressing it against your legs and knees. The blast of wind that hits your chest presses the skirt down from above. The only part that flaps a little are the edges. But not to the point of ever flipping up. If it's REALLY cold and the flapping edges bother me, I just sit on the excess and it tightens things up and keeps it in place.
OP
@scootr74 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2006 Piaggio Fly 150

Hooked
@scootr74 avatar
2006 Piaggio Fly 150
UTC quote
Mesmer wrote:
I ride with a scooter skirt, and love it.
Do you have picture of it on you and the scoot?

I cannot find a good picture of the scooter skirt on their website.
@mesmer avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GT200

Molto Verboso
@mesmer avatar
GT200
UTC quote
scootr74 wrote:
Mesmer wrote:
I ride with a scooter skirt, and love it.
Do you have picture of it on you and the scoot?

I cannot find a good picture of the scooter skirt on their website.
Me on my GT. Notice the reflective piping that helps cars see you at night.
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

The Corazzo version.
@vanslam avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa LX150

Addicted
@vanslam avatar
Vespa LX150
UTC quote
I like the thermoscud. Just cant get myself to put on the shirt
@xman avatar
UTC

Addicted
gt200

Addicted
@xman avatar
gt200
UTC quote
platinum_ghost wrote:
I bought one of the skirts and although it does keep you warm (saved me during some winter rides) and drier than not using it in a little shower. However I've had consistent problems at high speeds with the skirt ballooning up and becoming distracting! Now I have not heard of anyone else with this problem, and the company did it's best to work with me to fix it...somehow though it did work.

I still have it and would use it, but I have come up with a little work around. But it tuff in stop and go traffic.

Please do let this discourage you from buying one, but if you can perhaps try one first.

x

update: thought I would add, that I chose not to use the velcro stickers...which could theoretically help.
⚠️ Last edited by xman on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
@scootr74 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2006 Piaggio Fly 150

Hooked
@scootr74 avatar
2006 Piaggio Fly 150
UTC quote
xman wrote:
but if you can perhaps try one first...
This is what is keeping me...and probably will keep me from buying either. No one in town carries them. None of the companies whether Scooter Skirts, Corazzo or Thermoscud offer a return policy.

For that kind of money, I will not buy blindly.
@tikka avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794

Ossessionato
@tikka avatar
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794
UTC quote
Termoscud for sure. I love mine.

The only complaint I would have is that once mounted, you pretty much can't use your glove box anymore.

Good luck with your decision. I'm sure if you really hate your choice you will be able to recoop most of your cost selling it on ebay.
@mesmer avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GT200

Molto Verboso
@mesmer avatar
GT200
UTC quote
Tikka Masala wrote:
The only complaint I would have is that once mounted, you pretty much can't use your glove box anymore.
That's the first time anyone has ever mentioned that, and I never thought about it. Something to think about.

Both are good products. Get one and scoot warmly.
@jhangii avatar
UTC

Hooked
LX 150

Hooked
@jhangii avatar
LX 150
UTC quote
I bought my LX 150 in October, just before the winter rains started here in Oregon. It quickly became clear that if I wanted to continue riding, I'd need to find something to keep me warm & dry. I went for the Termoscud because:

It bolts onto the scoot, so that thieves have a difficult time stealing it.
The air bladders eliminate all flappage.
It rolls up and out of the way for the "in between" season.
It has a cover for the seat that pulls out of a storage pocket that keeps it dry while parked.
You don't have to store a wet skirt in your pet carrier.
It's Italian!!!! 8)

The one drawback is, as already mentioned, the inability to access the glovebox, which for me wasn't a big deal since I seldom really use the box anyway. I can say that I've ridden comfortably even with temps down in the low 20s F, and have stayed dry (right down to my shoes!) despite Mother Nature's valiant efforts to the contrary. The 'Scud has performed like a champ. Even though I had to order it from Italy, it arrived in like three days or something, which made the $50 shipping charge seem a bit more reasonable. The only thing that stops my daily commute now is ice & snow, or rain of biblical proportions and that only because I don't like riding blind and they haven't invented electric wipers for face shields yet!! Razz emoticon
heavy rain + (darkness X oncoming headlights) = unhappy scooter rides.....
However, they all seem like well made and effective products, so you really can't go wrong with whatever your decision may be...
@robardin avatar
UTC

Hooked
Black '06 Piaggio BV500; Black '05 Vespa GT200 (sold)

Hooked
@robardin avatar
Black '06 Piaggio BV500; Black '05 Vespa GT200 (sold)
UTC quote
Tikka Masala wrote:
Termoscud for sure. I love mine.

...which is why I got a Scooter Skirt. It just attaches around my waist with a belt, and I can store it under my seat and only bring it out for cold or wet weather as needed. This is key to me since I use my scooter to commute to work in Manhattan, and I'm sure sooner or later somebody would help themselves to a Thermoscud type of skirt that remains attached over the front.

I have not experienced the "flapping" or "ballooning" problem even at highway speeds (70+ MPH speedo indicated). However the Skirt does come with optional Velcro attachments to stick it against the frame of your ride, if you're willing to put that sticky tape stuff on the cowl. Since I was not, I opted to use strips of Velcro that I could loop around my rear crash bars if "flapping" ever became an issue (which it has not).
UTC

Enthusiast
GT250

Enthusiast
GT250
UTC quote
have used my thermoscud for the past 3 winters
Ordered it also from Italy and got it within 3 days. I only use it starting Oct/Nov - April then take it off. It's actually very fast to install. No flapping whatsoever since you can get it quite tight by sitting on the two straps which are especially made for that. I haven't even inflated the air pockets. True, the glove box is not easy to use, but I rarely do. Added bonus is that if you ride a GT or GTS you'll get warm air blown in under the scud from the cooling system. It works great in the rain as well, keeps you totally dry. Worth the money in my opinion.
@jerryg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2005 Dragon Red Vespa ET4 Speedster

Ossessionato
@jerryg avatar
2005 Dragon Red Vespa ET4 Speedster
UTC quote
Tikka Masala wrote:

Termoscud here. Love it. The Termoscud has a large hidden pocket that you can put the stuff you would want in your gloebox.

Now I did'nt know you could get pink scooterskirts. I might want to see if I could get a pink poodle scooterskirt. To go with my saddleshoes.
@ev avatar
UTC

2007 GTV 250

@ev avatar
2007 GTV 250
UTC quote
I got my thermoscud around 2 weeks ago and got caught in a real big downpour with high winds last week in London (weather I would not normally go out in). I was wearing normal cotton cargo pants with a parka coat.

Even in stop start traffic where I had to put my foot down often my trousers were completely dry. The only downside was that the bib that protects you chest fell forward every now and again but I could not be bothered to put the neck strap on (it was not really a big problem) However the really high winds did seem to catch me a bit more than normal I think, but to be honest the winds were so high and the rain so heavy that maybe it made little difference but it was just me being extra careful.

It took me around 20 mins to install the thermoscud on my GTV and I can remove and put in back on in less than half that time now. I would suggest that you purchase screws 1/8 - 1/4 longer than the ones the scooter has as it makes it easier and quicker to fit.

I have to admit I'm not too sure on how it looks on a GTV, I think it looks better on the GTS. I will take some pics tomorrow.

My verdict: a really good bit of kit that will keep you scootering no matter how bad the rain gets or how cold it is.
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Skirt
scootr74 wrote:
xman wrote:
but if you can perhaps try one first...
This is what is keeping me...and probably will keep me from buying either. No one in town carries them. None of the companies whether Scooter Skirts, Corazzo or Thermoscud offer a return policy.

For that kind of money, I will not buy blindly.
I would just try one out at a Rally. I am sure someone would let ya where their skirt for a while.....
@jacqui avatar
UTC

Addicted
2005 PX150 Limited Edition

Addicted
@jacqui avatar
2005 PX150 Limited Edition
UTC quote
Suede jeans and gortex overpant if it's really cold/windy is my choice. I'll put my skirt on when I get there.

jacqui
OP
@scootr74 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2006 Piaggio Fly 150

Hooked
@scootr74 avatar
2006 Piaggio Fly 150
UTC quote
Re: Skirt
Lucky Bastard wrote:
I would just try one out at a Rally. I am sure someone would let ya where their skirt for a while.....
Yeah. The skirt is on hold for now. Probably will not be going to any rallies other than the one here in Tulsa.

I did go ahead and use the money that I was going to use for the skirt and got some Tour Master boots.
@glasseye avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS, LX, VSD, VSX, VNX, LD 125, Chucky, LI125

Ossessionato
@glasseye avatar
GTS, LX, VSD, VSX, VNX, LD 125, Chucky, LI125
UTC quote
Quote:
it has come down to a Scooter Skirt
I wear a skirt.....

no complaints.....

R

8)
@brouhaha avatar
UTC

Addicted
et4 and px150

Addicted
@brouhaha avatar
et4 and px150
UTC quote
Scooterskirt.

It flaps a little, but it works SO well against cold and rain, and it is so much more convenient.

Black not pink.

Here it is in action. For the record, the poncho flapped much more than the skirt...
@illnoise avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@illnoise avatar
UTC quote
More options:

http://2strokebuzz.com/index.php/?p=96

I didn't read above too closely, but I noticed you spelled "Termoscud" with an "h," make sure you spell it right if you're googling it. : )

In Europe, I saw three hundred other brands, too, but the TucanoUrbano/Termoscuds seemed like the highest quality, (which doesn't nec. mean they work the best.) They also, from what I've seen, are the most expensive. (aside from some leather ones I saw in Paris that must have cost at least a thousand bucks.)

Bb.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0343s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0106s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]