Pulled the trigger on a BV350
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous1234Next
Ossessionato
A fracking cage sadly
Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:13 am quote
Kayemtee wrote:
It's very frustrating that we're not getting ABS and traction control over here. When I started reading this thread, I was seriously considering this scooter. But not without those two safety features when I know they're available in Europe.

As to US regulations, I'd be interested in hearing from someone with real knowledge of what the problem is. I'm guessing there is substantial paperwork and possibly testing necessary to get US certification. The projected low sales volume makes it not worth certifying all models for US sales. The Japanese in particular have cut down on the number of scooter models they import to the US; there are no mid sized (200-350cc) Japanese scooters available at all.

The problem, as was stated, is not economic protectionism; there are no US made scooters. But there may be a we're better than anybody attitude which permeates even these type of regulations. I have no problem with US only, more restrictive emissions laws. For many years, the US was ahead of Europe in that area although perhaps no longer. I remember renting cars in Europe into the early 1990s that still had manual chokes and few if any emissions controls.

I'm really curious as to what the actual costs are, above and beyond the list price of those options, to a manufacturer to be able to sell the scooter with ABS and traction control. It's hard to imagine that paperwork could cost a manufacturer that much to comply.

Does anyone know how much more the model with ABS and traction control sells for in Europe than the one without those features? The Brit Piaggio website doesn't seem to have the price with and without.

I see the Italian website has both and the price difference is 500 euro. Seems worth it to me.
Completely agree. I wish we could at least get an ABS/TC kit somehow...
Banned
Scarabeo 250ie, BV 250ie
Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:20 am quote
Well... it seems like Australia isn't going to get the 350 at all... the old BV sold so poorly over here... mostly due to the name "Beverley"... stupid Piaggio named it the same as Italy not the USA... cause Australia has more in common with Italy than the USA?!?!
Addicted
Piaggio Beverly Sport Tourer (BV350)
Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:17 pm quote
Kruella_DV wrote:
Here in UK I also put a deposit on a silver Beverly 350 on March 2nd. I'm hoping to get mine by the end of this month (fingers crossed). ...............

John W (aka Kruella DV)
Called in to introduce my wife to the scooter dealer today - and guess what - my bike had been received an hour earlier! Here's the first pic. If all goes to plan it gets licenced tomorrow and delivered Saturday. Oh Joy!

beverly01web.jpg
My first sight of my new scoot ('phone camera pic)

Hooked
BMW F700GS, 1996 Honda Helix, Giallo GTS (sold), Buddy125
Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:49 pm quote
congrats! Do you know what the price is yet? (anyone can answer )
Enthusiast
82p BV 350
Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:57 pm quote
I shouldnt have looked at that.....I cant stand the wait! Glad i'm getting silver. It looks fantastic
Ossessionato
GTS250
Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:00 pm quote
peabody99 wrote:
Piaggio US's web site shows an MSRP of $5499, for what that's worth.
Addicted
Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:17 am quote
Syd wrote:
peabody99 wrote:
My "Google News" alert just told me about this article: http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/2012-piaggio-bv-350-maxi-scooter-preview
Addicted
Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:04 am quote
My dealer just sent me this e-mail about my new Beverly due to be delivered tomorrow: "The mechanic has been out to road test your Beverley and has said its absolutely Bostin"

The dealership is in the Black Country west of Birmingham. Just Google "Bostin" if you need a translation.

John W (aka Kruella DV)
Honda SH150i and Kymco GTi300, plus 10 others in the past
Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:53 pm quote
Syd wrote:
peabody99 wrote:
As I stated earlier in this thread, At my dealer in Western North Carolina the out the door price is just under $6500. Much as I want one, I'm going to let a few folks jump in ahead of me in the line to buy one.
Hooked
Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:39 am quote
Very attractive looking scooter -- I like it very much!

The BV350 is considered a maxi scooter???
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Reprehensible Misinformant
Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:23 pm quote
Huckleberry wrote:

To me, size and displacement-wise, I'll consider it a "medi-scooter" with maxi capability.
Hooked
2006 & 2007 GTS 250ie, 1975 Rally 200
Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:02 pm quote
Some dealers in Texas got theirs Friday and the rest of the state on Monday.
Molto Verboso

Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:11 am quote
Congratulations !
Molto Verboso
2007 Piaggio BV 250
Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:12 am quote
gogogordy wrote:
Huckleberry wrote:

To me, size and displacement-wise, I'll consider it a "medi-scooter" with maxi capability.
What would you consider the BV 250? I've heard it referred to s a maxi. I didn't buy it for that reason. I bought it because it fits my needs. Just curious.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:26 am quote
DoorBuster wrote:
gogogordy wrote:
Huckleberry wrote:

What would you consider the BV 250? I've heard it referred to s a maxi. I didn't buy it for that reason. I bought it because it fits my needs. Just curious.
The BV250 ispowered by the same engine as my GTS250 which I dont think of as a maxi either.

To me the BV250 falls simply under the big wheeled scooter category.

IMO, to be a maxi scooter, a scooter needs to be comparable spec-wise to other maxi scooters....Burgman 400, Silverwing, Majesty etc from 400cc+.

To me, the appeal of the BV 350 is that it'll run with these bigger maxis, while being weighted, priced and delivering the mileage more like the quarter litre class of scoots.
Hooked
BV 350
Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:32 am quote
BV350
Congratulations on your choice. I own a BV250 which has been modified with a Polini variator. It has been a great ride but the BV350 is one cool looking Scoot. I have a friend who drove the 350 at the Dealer Convention and he was very impressed and told me "you're going to want one." I plan on selling mine and upgrading to the 350. I haven't totally decided on the color but I am leaning to Black as my choice.
Enthusiast
82p BV 350
Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:13 am quote
If dealers in Texas got theirs maybe I'll get mine soon! I'm just one state over!
Ossessionato
2015 Sprint 150 ABS Yellow. 1974 Vespa Rally 200 White, non battery model.
Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:32 am quote
GregShooter45 wrote:
Says who????
Addicted
GTS 300 Super (RIP) / Stella 2T
Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:34 am quote
Huckleberry wrote:

I've seen some sites categorize GTS300 as a maxi, so why not.
Hooked
2012 GTS 300
Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:49 am quote
Congrats, very nice scoot! Please post more pics and a short review once you have had some time with it.
Hooked
2009 Piaggio BV250
Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:07 pm quote
I just rode over to my dealership today to see what their status is on the BV350. They are still expecting them some time late April or early May so I put my name on the list and now have only to make a deposit to reserve one when they begin to arrive.

Of course due to constraints of space and finances this means I have to part with old faithful. Sure has been a nice 46,000 miles plus with my little S150 and I hate to have to part with such a good little scooter.

Still can't decide on black or silver. Like them both actually so we'll just have to see which I finally decide on.

385x385-37c101365951b42469cad2e303c69e75.png
Silver.

385x385-b5c0b814aa9f3588e4b733e47156e8e8.png
Or black.

Hooked
2012 GTS 300
Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:11 pm quote
They both look great! I would have to go with silver.

Great deal of miles on your 150, nice!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:30 pm quote
kcphoto2008 wrote:
I just rode over to my dealership today to see what their status is on the BV350. They are still expecting them some time late April or early May so I put my name on the list and now have only to make a deposit to reserve one when they begin to arrive.

Of course due to constraints of space and finances this means I have to part with old faithful. Sure has been a nice 46,000 miles plus with my little S150 and I hate to have to part with such a good little scooter.

Still can't decide on black or silver. Like them both actually so we'll just have to see which I finally decide on.
Impressive totals on the S150. Bravo!

The BV350 is going to be Piaggio's bread and butter scooter if you ask me. Can't wait to hear some real-world reviews. Keep us posted.
Enthusiast
MP3 250, Honda NPS50 Zoomer, BMW C1 200 Excutive
Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:00 pm quote
Quote:
I'm guessing there is substantial paperwork and possibly testing necessary to get US certification. The projected low sales volume makes it not worth certifying all models for US sales.
I don't know but how much more paperwork and testing may be needed to get a US certification for two scooters instead of one. And if you're going to certify only one model doesn't it make more sense to make it the ABS equipped one?, if people start to crash because they don't have ABS those poor sales are going to be even poorer.

I know it's not you who decides but I don't understand why.

BMW is going the other way ABS is now standard in all its models because they know that in the long run there will be fewer acccidents and that should be a GOOD thing both for riders and manufacturers.

Piaggio makes some strange decisions.
Addicted
Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:25 am quote
Kruella_DV wrote:
Called in to introduce my wife to the scooter dealer today - and guess what - my bike had been received an hour earlier! Here's the first pic. If all goes to plan it gets licenced tomorrow and delivered Saturday. Oh Joy!
I've had my new scoot for over half a week now. Only 110 miles travelled so far. What do I think? "Quick", "Agile", "Comfortable". It's a worthy successor to my trusty Honda Deauville.

I've posted a photo gallery at www.jbw.org.uk/beverly
Hooked
2012 GTS 300
Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:42 am quote
@ Kruella_DV: great pics, congrats! Love the silver.
Hooked
2006 GTS 250ie Excalibur
Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:37 am quote
kcphoto2008 wrote:
wow! when i was last scooter shopping, i had my heart set on a gts (had a honda elite prior). got one in silver, but kind of wanted black.

the silver bv350 is gorgeous, especially with that brown interior and seat. like the integrated windshield too.

i considered a bv when shopping for the gts, tempted by those more stable, longer lasting big wheels, but dealers only had the old version w/o LED lights, etc. and with 34" inseam legs, the seating felt more cramped compared to the gts...

someone else posted the specs re: improved horsepower, lighter weight, and close to 80mpg mileage which is awesome.

if the next gts could follow the BV's route and keep the style but improve safety, weight/efficiency, that would be awesome.
Ossessionato
GTS250
Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:30 am quote
Very nice looking scoot, Kruella. Is that 'backrest' piece (right at the point where the seat bumps up to the rear) adjustable or removable?
Molto Verboso
2007 Piaggio BV 250
Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:52 am quote
Good looking scoot. I like the way that the "glove box" is divided up. Dash layed out nicely. What affect does the open bottom of the wind screen have on ventilation/water getting inside?

Now for personal preferences, should there ever come a time when I would be tempted ot purchase one. I'd have to give up the 250 though.

When making my choice in 2007 The silver color looked cheap. Hence my choice of black. It's hard to really tell from looking at pictures. I had to see both in person, something you probably did too.

I hate those LED lights on cars, of course personal opinion, I do like the integrated turn signals, though they probably won't make it to the US. Wish I had hazard flashers on my BV.

Oh did you mount the GPS yourself or did it come equiped that way? Couldn't tell how the power cable was run, actually didn't see a cable to power the unit.

Will a full face helmet fit under the seat or only 3/4?
Addicted
Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:50 pm quote
Syd wrote:
Very nice looking scoot, Kruella. Is that 'backrest' piece (right at the point where the seat bumps up to the rear) adjustable or removable?
The "backrest" is a fixture Syd, neither adjustable or removable. I'm a six footer with 32" legs and my "tail" presses gently and comfortable on the backrest.
Addicted
Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:01 am quote
DoorBuster wrote:
Good looking scoot. I like the way that the "glove box" is divided up. Dash layed out nicely. What affect does the open bottom of the wind screen have on ventilation/water getting inside?
Even though I live in England it hasn't rained since I've had my Beverly so can't comment about water ingress. It won't get "inside" though because the handlebar cover is fully enclosed.

My Garmin Zumo bracket is home-made. It's a piece of 1/8" Ali bent to the correct angle, attached to the dash using the windshield's centre fitting. This is a 5mm bolt that's sturdily attached to the handlebar metalwork. I originally fitted the Garmin-supplied handlebar bracket to the left mirror stem (see earlier pic) but didn't like it's location.

So far the Garmin relies on its internal battery. The Zumo 220 is good for four hours or more. I intend to pick up a 12v supply from the headlight low beam when the bike's not as new. There is plenty of room under the handlebar cowl for a Zumo motorbike power supply unit.
Addicted
Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:20 pm quote
Kruella_DV wrote:
So far the Garmin relies on its internal battery. The Zumo 220 is good for four hours or more. I intend to pick up a 12v supply from the headlight low beam when the bike's not as new. There is plenty of room under the handlebar cowl for a Zumo motorbike power supply unit.
It turns out I didn't do that. For some reason the Zumo bike power unit wouldn't fire up from the headlight circuit. So, instead, I used the supplied Zumo car cigarette lighter plug and plugged it into the Beverly's Accessory socket in the glove locker. I wound the cable around the headstock to allow free lock-to-lock movement. The glove locker door closes over the cable without pinching it too tightly. The rest of the story involves connecting the Garmin-supplied bike power supply unit to a cigarette lighter plug and putting it in my car so that I have easy access to external power for bike and car without having to swap the cables around. "Simples"
Ossessionato
GTS250
Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:43 pm quote
Kruella_DV wrote:
Syd wrote:
The "backrest" is a fixture Syd, neither adjustable or removable. I'm a six footer with 32" legs and my "tail" presses gently and comfortable on the backrest.
Thanks for the reply, Kruella. I can only hope that the tail of my 6'3" frame, with 34" legs do the same.
Ossessionato
2010 ThunderFly 190, 2008 250 GTS
Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:46 pm quote
Kruella_DV wrote:
Kruella_DV wrote:
I've had my new scoot for over half a week now. Only 110 miles travelled so far. What do I think? "Quick", "Agile", "Comfortable". It's a worthy successor to my trusty Honda Deauville.

I've posted a photo gallery at www.jbw.org.uk/beverly
Thanks for sharing those pics.

Do you think you will miss the storage you had on the Honda? looked like there were integrated panniers, but not sure how useful they are?
Hooked
'07 GTS 250ie (Midnight Blue), '07 GTS 250ie (Dragon Red - wife's ride)
Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:25 pm quote
gogogordy wrote:
3) Fuel economy stated at up to 78 mpg

Wow, nice.
Addicted
Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:44 pm quote
CrazyCarl wrote:
Do you think you will miss the storage you had on the Honda? looked like there were integrated panniers, but not sure how useful they are?
I don't think so CrazyCarl. The only time they were all filled was last July when my brothers and I did a fund-raising trip round the coast of Great Britain. (see http://www.justgiving.com/2011roundbritain and http://www.jbw.org.uk/2011roundbritain)

My weekend holdall will fit in the trunk under Beverly's seat and realistically at my age (73) I don't expect to do extended tours any more. I'm confident that the Beverly will carry all I'll need for a weekend away. If not then Givi make a nice soft bag that clips on the rear seat (http://www.givi.co.uk/soft-luggages/Scooter-bags/T472) - no need for a cumbersome top box to spoil Beverly's lines
Molto Verboso
PX200E X 2
Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:47 am quote
congrats!
Hooked
2006 & 2007 GTS 250ie, 1975 Rally 200
Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:46 am quote
AlexBv200 wrote:
GregShooter45 wrote:
Says who????
The bills of lading from the warehouse. They are all being shipped from Texas. I thought that was common knowledge. Opps
Enthusiast
BV350, Buddy 125
Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:38 pm quote
My dealer told me the same thing, so I don't think you were spilling any state secrets!

Kyle
Enthusiast
82p BV 350
Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:14 pm quote
I want mine now!
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous1234Next
[ Time: 0.2119s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0419s) ][ Debug on ]