Pulled the trigger on a BV350
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous1234
Author Message
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 10811
Location: Oregon City, OR
Sat May 12, 2012 3:06 pm quote
BVBob wrote:
The owner said another is on its way. I know dealers have 250's and 500's that have been sitting there for a year or two but these 350's are moving. Must be pretty good....
So far, the local dealers seem to be selling them about as fast as they can get them in.
Enthusiast
2013 Piaggio BV350
Joined: 11 May 2012
Posts: 60
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Sat May 12, 2012 4:08 pm quote
I bought mine on Tuesday of this week. Black. No ABS/TC in the US. I've got almost 200 miles on it so far. Bought it with 1 mile. I was the only person to ride it as it just landed on the dealer's floor. They only had one but Erico Motorsports in Denver also had a black one.

I paid the MSRP of $5495 but no other fees other than taxes. They did try to tack on about $800 of shipping, assembly, dealer handling and all that kind of stuff and I said I am not paying more than MSRP. They agreed. This was at a normal MC dealer and not a scooter shop in Denver. It also helped that my wife bought a brand new, leftover 2010 GTS300 Super the same day for $4499. We felt like we did okay.

I'm still in break in mode as well but have been averaging 64MPG so far in mixed riding including about 50 miles of interstate today at the speed limit of 65-75. This is my first scoot and I love it.

Have ordered the Givi E349 topcase plate from a place in Germany as it's the same piece that the BV300 takes. Once that arrived I'll put my existing Givi MonoLock case on it when needed. Thanks to the member here who helped me out with finding the Euro vendor who would ship that part to the US.





Tom
Molto Verboso
'95 Yamaha Riva 125- '05 Piaggio BV200-'05 Honda Reflex-'08 Honda Metropolitan
Joined: 22 Oct 2005
Posts: 1647
Location: Ohio
Sat May 12, 2012 4:21 pm quote
That black one looks really nice. Great deal on it too! That's basically the same deal I would go for. We have a couple different dealers within 60 miles both in entirely different directions. One will deal (that's were I bought my BV200 7 years ago) and the other adds more fees than you can count.

Good job!

Bob
Addicted
Piaggio Beverly Sport Tourer (BV350)
Joined: 07 Mar 2012
Posts: 626
Location: England, Worcestershire
Mon May 14, 2012 12:38 am quote
I have to agree that black with red seat looks good. Mine's Silver. Looks like the black is a shiny/gloss finish. The Silver is semi-matt - different!

Ride safe, Regards,

John W (aka Kruella DV)
Member
Honda SH150i and Kymco GTi300, plus 10 others in the past
Joined: 10 Mar 2012
Posts: 16
Location: Hendersonville, NC
Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:28 pm quote
Bump.... Just wanting to read something new aboout the 350. Surely someone out there got something to say.
Addicted
Piaggio BV 350
Joined: 17 Jun 2012
Posts: 581
Location: Cookeville, TN
Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:55 pm quote
Just got a black one Saturday (yesterday). Drove 220 miles to get it at the closest dealer who had one in stock. Had to go out of town today on a Father's day visit, so it's just looked pretty so far in my carport with only one, short 10 mph ride. The red is not as bright as the pictures show and that's a good thing. I'm very pleased with the appearance, especially after comparing to Asian-made models of the same category at roughly the same price.

I'm intimidated somewhat with the weight of this beast. I owned a 2000 Honda Elite 80 and that's the only motor bike I've ever ridden. Once under way, I'll be fine except getting used to highway speeds, but straddling and pushing this thing along side to maneuver it for parking, loading, etc. is intimidating and physically tough for someone not bike savvy and a welterweight. I've already had a couple of close call tip overs. Looks like I'm going to have to handle this scoot with an attitude.
Ossessionato
2012 BV 350
Joined: 19 Aug 2008
Posts: 2091
Location: Vestavia Hills, AL
Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:07 pm quote
gregsfc wrote:
Just got a black one Saturday (yesterday). Drove 220 miles to get it at the closest dealer who had one in stock. Had to go out of town today on a Father's day visit, so it's just looked pretty so far in my carport with only one, short 10 mph ride. The red is not as bright as the pictures show and that's a good thing. I'm very pleased with the appearance, especially after comparing to Asian-made models of the same category at roughly the same price.

I'm intimidated somewhat with the weight of this beast. I owned a 2000 Honda Elite 80 and that's the only motor bike I've ever ridden. Once under way, I'll be fine except getting used to highway speeds, but straddling and pushing this thing along side to maneuver it for parking, loading, etc. is intimidating and physically tough for someone not bike savvy and a welterweight. I've already had a couple of close call tip overs. Looks like I'm going to have to handle this scoot with an attitude.
When you get a chance post some photos of your new scooter! I'm patiently awaiting the arrival of my silver 350 and love seeing photos of anyone else getting their new 350!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 10811
Location: Oregon City, OR
Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:46 pm quote
gregsfc wrote:
JI'm intimidated somewhat with the weight of this beast. I owned a 2000 Honda Elite 80 and that's the only motor bike I've ever ridden. Once under way, I'll be fine except getting used to highway speeds, but straddling and pushing this thing along side to maneuver it for parking, loading, etc. is intimidating and physically tough for someone not bike savvy and a welterweight. I've already had a couple of close call tip overs. Looks like I'm going to have to handle this scoot with an attitude.
Yes, I agree. I have owned an MP3 and that is the big difference that I notice. The BV 350 is heavy compared to a traditional scooter and has a higher center of gravity. The MP3 (also heavy, heavier actually) mostly balances pretty well when walking or pushing it around with the front tilt locked. The BV 350 requires more care as it would be easy to over balance and let it get away from you. Once you are underway, it is a whole different deal of course. It feels as light and maneuverable as a bird .
Addicted
Piaggio BV 350
Joined: 17 Jun 2012
Posts: 581
Location: Cookeville, TN
Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:42 am quote
[quote="ScooterGirlinAL"]
gregsfc wrote:
When you get a chance post some photos of your new scooter! I'm patiently awaiting the arrival of my silver 350 and love seeing photos of anyone else getting their new 350!
Yes I will. Just haven't found the time as of yet; not even time to start practicing for the road, but maybe a few minutes this morning. My scooter is not even temporary tagged (waiting on pre-registration paperwork from out-of-state dealer), but can get away with riding right around my neighborhood, which is all I should be doing at this point anyway. So, for a couple of days, it will mostly just be looking pretty.

For a picture reference, look at the black one posted earlier. That's exactly what mine looks like minus the good-looking background.

Sorry about posting the quote incorrectly above. Still trying to learn how to navigate on this forum.
Hooked
2015 GTS SUUUUPPPPEEEERRRRR,
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 337
Location: North Carolina
Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:31 am quote
Yellow Jacket wrote:
Bump.... Just wanting to read something new aboout the 350. Surely someone out there got something to say.
Me too!

Been watching this thread and the forum for more reviews/info/ride reports etc. but doesn't seem like that much has been posted (or, at least not enough for me! LOL).

Thanks to all the owners who have posted - keep stuff coming!!
Molto Verboso
BV 250
Joined: 27 Feb 2012
Posts: 1356
Location: Virginia & North Carolina, USA
Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:44 am quote
JerseyBiker wrote:
Yellow Jacket wrote:
Bump.... Just wanting to read something new aboout the 350. Surely someone out there got something to say.
Me too!

Been watching this thread and the forum for more reviews/info/ride reports etc. but doesn't seem like that much has been posted (or, at least not enough for me! LOL).

Thanks to all the owners who have posted - keep stuff coming!!
Hehe. I guess I'm not the only one eagerly waiting to read new posts on the BV 350 What a gorgeous scooter! Love the silver colour one with the red the most!
Molto Verboso
BV 250
Joined: 27 Feb 2012
Posts: 1356
Location: Virginia & North Carolina, USA
Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:46 am quote
gregsfc wrote:
The red is not as bright as the pictures show and that's a good thing.
I agree. To me, the colour isn't actually red but cordovan, which is more like the colour of oxblood. See "cordovan (colour)" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordovan_(color)
Ossessionato
2012 BV 350
Joined: 19 Aug 2008
Posts: 2091
Location: Vestavia Hills, AL
Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:49 am quote
gregsfc wrote:
For a picture reference, look at the black one posted earlier. That's exactly what mine looks like minus the good-looking background.
Oh, I've been looking at the pictures already posted; it's just that until I get mine I want to see more and more pictures.
Lurker
Piaggio BV350
Joined: 24 Jul 2012
Posts: 1
Location: San Diego, CA
Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:24 am quote
I put a deposit on a BV350 and it came in a month early. I have been breaking it in slowly riding about 4 times a week. My other bike is a Genuine Buddy 150 Italia which got me hooked on scootering. The BV350 is awesome although I am a bit fearful of the power that the bike has. The motor is quiet and just purrs. It took me a while to get used to the engine braking, if you roll completely off the throttle the bike lurches a bit. The trick is to ease off the throttle but leave a little on it to let it roll to a smooth stop. The engine braking is wonderful when you are slowing down after hitting a high speed. As well, here in San Diego, the hills can be very steep and rolling down a steep hill is very controlled because of this feature. I had a Steibel Airhorn installed as the stock horn may work in Europe but not in America where cagers drive regularly with cell phones attached to their brains. I also had louder blinkers installed for a few dollars more as well as a Givi top case with lights since I will occasionally ride this bike at night on the highway. I currently have about 150 miles on the bike and can't wait to see how it performs after the full break in period. Enjoy the pics!

BV1.jpg

bv3.jpg

Addicted
Piaggio BV 350
Joined: 17 Jun 2012
Posts: 581
Location: Cookeville, TN
Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:56 am quote
Great pics. Poor George. The silver with that box looks fantastic.

I've got nine-hundred miles on mine; took delivery in mid June. I'm piling up the miles quickly, as my main use is for a 53.2, round-trip commute each day in which the rain chance is 30% or below and the radar doesn't show hard rain when I leave for work.

I noticed that mine started running a little smoother just before the first service, which was at or about 600 miles.

I've never seen a silver 350 in real life. This is the first time that I noticed that the silver has black as a secondary color down low around the gas cap area (reverse of mine), but it is not exactly reverse, because mine has a silver or gray above the black on the panels just below the seat; I don't see black in that area of yours. Mine also has a spot of silver or gray on the front fender right around the reflectors on each side. From the pics., it looks like your fenders are solid, one color.

What I can't tell by the pictures is if your silver is solid, one tone, or if my silver is your silver.

I think that I really prefer the silver color but getting BV 350s in the southeast U.S. is pretty tough as most sell while they're still in the crate, and I didn't want to miss out. Plus, the only thing I like about black is that it does present a good combination appearance with the red interior. But black is just so hard to keep looking good over time, because every imperfection will show up so much more and it is harder for other drivers to see. I have countered the latter by wearing a hi-vis vest and helmet.

Anyway. I concur with your first impressions. Although the BV 350 has a few weaknesses, it is a real pleasure to ride, and the engine brake makes it the ultimate scooter for mixed daily driving.
Member
Joined: 21 Aug 2012
Posts: 5
Location: Atlanta
Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:56 pm quote
BV350 Review
I thought I'd give you a quick review of this machine. One word to describe it is fantastic. This rides as smooth as butter. I bought it for my son who just started college. I drive a "real motorcycle" and this one occasionally too.

I started my son riding about 3 or 4 years ago. Here is his progression

1)2009 Honda Ruckus
2)2009 Yamaha 125 Zuma
3)2009 LX150 Vespa
4)2013 Piaggio BV350

We still have the Vespa. Picked up the BV last weekend and took a 100 mile roundtrip the 1st day. I drove the LX150 and I couldn't keep up with the BV. Kid passed me like I was standing still at 70-85 mph. I have to tell you that the Vespa feels very old after driving the BV, and I have less than 800 miles on the LX150. It's like night and day.

My only complaint is that you have to use the steering lock in order to lock the seat storage compartment. Kind of stupid I think. Got the removable trunk as well.

Great bike imo, far superior to the 300gts Vespa, and about $500 cheaper.

I'll be interested in seeing the BMW scooter when it hits these shores. That should be an awesome scooter as well.
Member
Joined: 21 Aug 2012
Posts: 5
Location: Atlanta
Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:21 pm quote
By the way, if anyone can suggest a horn, Sebel or otherwise that has some oomph to it and that will install nicely, I would appreciate the info and or pics of the installation. The horn on this thing is a "beep beep" roadrunner, with not much punch to it.

I am also interested in LED's to light up the bike more at night. Any info would be also appreciated.
Molto Verboso
None
Joined: 01 Aug 2010
Posts: 1014
Location: Vienna, VA USA
Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:38 pm quote
kabbalah wrote:
By the way, if anyone can suggest a horn, Sebel or otherwise that has some oomph to it and that will install nicely, I would appreciate the info and or pics of the installation. The horn on this thing is a "beep beep" roadrunner, with not much punch to it.

I am also interested in LED's to light up the bike more at night. Any info would be also appreciated.
When the shop had my plastic panels off checking for hidden storm damage, they installed a single FIAMM Freeway Blaster and a relay. It's not the most direct sound path so while muffled, it is still louder than stock. My reasoning was I wanted to get something installed, and that I'd do some more serious work this winter.

Sometime in November or early December the scooter goes into the basement for the winter and the Farkles begin. Projects being considered include:

-- Twisted Throttle circuit breaker/power distribution module (already purchased)
-- Battery Tender wired under the seat (you can get a 12 VDC outlet that plugs into the Battery Tender connector so you have an extra power source when the Tender is not being used) (parts on hand)
-- Dual Fiamms or better placement for the single (one horn on hand)
-- Hard wiring for GPS power
-- Installation of a set of Twisted Throttle Denali II lights (lights already on hand)
-- Some kind of amber LED turn-signal lights to go into the Day Running Lights up front
-- Possibly amber side lights in the front cover "gills"
-- High intensity LEDs for the brake lights
-- Wire in the top case light to the brake lights
-- Maybe some covered vents for the glove box to take off some of the heat (covers on hand)
Addicted
Piaggio BV 350
Joined: 17 Jun 2012
Posts: 581
Location: Cookeville, TN
Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:06 am quote
LJClark wrote:
kabbalah wrote:
By the way, if anyone can suggest a horn, Sebel or otherwise that has some oomph to it and that will install nicely, I would appreciate the info and or pics of the installation. The horn on this thing is a "beep beep" roadrunner, with not much punch to it.

I am also interested in LED's to light up the bike more at night. Any info would be also appreciated.
Sometime in November or early December the scooter goes into the basement for the winter and the Farkles begin. Projects being considered include:

-- Twisted Throttle circuit breaker/power distribution module (already purchased)
-- Battery Tender wired under the seat (you can get a 12 VDC outlet that plugs into the Battery Tender connector so you have an extra power source when the Tender is not being used) (parts on hand)
-- Installation of a set of Twisted Throttle Denali II lights (lights already on hand)
Wow that's pretty technical stuff! I'd not have a clue how to do any of the listed modifications/upgrades. In fact, I don't even understand the effect of the particular one's listed above (I don't even understand what the one's listed above do; little lone understand how to install them or acquire them).
Molto Verboso
2012 BV 350, 2013 BMW C650 GT, 2015 Indian Chieftain
Joined: 20 Feb 2009
Posts: 1878
Location: Brentwood, TN
Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:07 am quote
Great list LJ
I look forward to seeing your work. I'm probably leaving mine stock for a season - at least till I ride the BMW...

Please post pictures and videos of what you do.
Molto Verboso
2012 BV 350, 2013 BMW C650 GT, 2015 Indian Chieftain
Joined: 20 Feb 2009
Posts: 1878
Location: Brentwood, TN
Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:15 am quote
I'm sure LJ will respond, but my interpretations:

-- Twisted Throttle circuit breaker/power distribution module (already purchased).

This is just a hard wired fuse box mounted probably in the front end to provide easy power connections for the farkles (GPS, grip warmers, extra 12v, etc)

-- Battery Tender wired under the seat (you can get a 12 VDC outlet that plugs into the Battery Tender connector so you have an extra power source when the Tender is not being used) (parts on hand)

This is a neat deal someone found, believe it was YaYaDave on MP3 board - it's a 12v socket with a connector that plugs into the cables you mount on battery for a battery tender.

-- Installation of a set of Twisted Throttle Denali II lights (lights already on hand)

Don't know specifics, but sounds like halogen headlights, maybe?
Molto Verboso
None
Joined: 01 Aug 2010
Posts: 1014
Location: Vienna, VA USA
Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:32 pm quote
TN_Sooner wrote:
I'm sure LJ will respond, but my interpretations:

-- Twisted Throttle circuit breaker/power distribution module (already purchased).

This is just a hard wired fuse box mounted probably in the front end to provide easy power connections for the farkles (GPS, grip warmers, extra 12v, etc)

-- Battery Tender wired under the seat (you can get a 12 VDC outlet that plugs into the Battery Tender connector so you have an extra power source when the Tender is not being used) (parts on hand)

This is a neat deal someone found, believe it was YaYaDave on MP3 board - it's a 12v socket with a connector that plugs into the cables you mount on battery for a battery tender.

-- Installation of a set of Twisted Throttle Denali II lights (lights already on hand)

Don't know specifics, but sounds like halogen headlights, maybe?
Power distribution...Right. It has several circuit breaker controlled leads for accessories. You run a big positive wire from the battery, an equally big wire to ground or back to the battery's ground, and a 3rd wire that is switched by the ignition. As surmised, this allows accessories to be installed. For example, I can power my GPS through this box and one of the circuits will allow it to stay on for three minutes after the ignition is shut down...Very handy at fuel stops, etc. There will also be a circuit for horns and one for auxiliary lights.

A Battery Tender is just a plain old good idea to keep your battery in shape -- especially in the off season. You attach a couple of leads to your battery terminals, and a small, intelligent charger can be connected to a fitting on that short cable. Just leave it plugged in all winter, or whenever you aren't using the bike for a long time. This little adapter thingy plugs into the battery wires when you're not using the tender...And you have a underseat power source that's good charging anything you can stick into a cigar lighter socket.

The Denali 2 lights are very powerful LED auxiliary lights. You can choose between two beam patterns. These lights can be set up so that they run 60% output on low beams, and 100% on high beams. Many leave them on all the time as conspicuity lights. I'm still trying to figure out where to mount them...Maybe on the lower forks (not my favorite) or perhaps on mounts on the plastic panels behind the front shield.

And yes...there will be photos.
Hooked
vino 125 >> BV 500
Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Posts: 182
Location: Upper Left Coast
Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:35 pm quote
What Is The max load for the BV 350, I am a big fella and that's why I got a 500.
Molto Verboso
None
Joined: 01 Aug 2010
Posts: 1014
Location: Vienna, VA USA
Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:24 am quote
Heavyvino wrote:
What Is The max load for the BV 350, I am a big fella and that's why I got a 500.
Curb weight is listed as 395 lbs, +/- 17 lbs.
Max weight is listed as 827 lbs.
So I guess you have a little over 400 lbs to play with.
Addicted
Piaggio BV 350
Joined: 17 Jun 2012
Posts: 581
Location: Cookeville, TN
Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:32 am quote
LJClark wrote:
kabbalah wrote:
By the way, if anyone can suggest a horn, Sebel or otherwise that has some oomph to it and that will install nicely, I would appreciate the info and or pics of the installation. The horn on this thing is a "beep beep" roadrunner, with not much punch to it.

I am also interested in LED's to light up the bike more at night. Any info would be also appreciated.
-- Battery Tender wired under the seat (you can get a 12 VDC outlet that plugs into the Battery Tender connector so you have an extra power source when the Tender is not being used) (parts on hand)
Alot of cool modifications, but for my money, the Battery Tender Wiring seems to be the most appealing. With such an install, if I'm understanding right, when I put the scooter in hibernation for Winter, I could leave the battery hooked up in the scooter and take care of the battery at the same time. Then, if we have one of those winter-time heat waves, which we often get in Tennessee, I'll be that much closer to getting the BV 350 out on the road during the weather break.
Ossessionato
2012 BV 350
Joined: 19 Aug 2008
Posts: 2091
Location: Vestavia Hills, AL
Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:18 am quote
gregsfc wrote:
the Battery Tender Wiring seems to be the most appealing. With such an install, if I'm understanding right, when I put the scooter in hibernation for Winter, I could leave the battery hooked up in the scooter and take care of the battery at the same time. Then, if we have one of those winter-time heat waves, which we often get in Tennessee, I'll be that much closer to getting the BV 350 out on the road during the weather break.
My battery tender came with the pigtail to install on the battery. I already put one on this scooter, mostly to charge the phone while riding, but it's great to use for winter storage also. Since I didn't transfer the pigtail from my previous scooter I bought one at a local shop for close to six dollars. You can find them on th Internet if you can't get one locally.
Member
Looking
Joined: 17 Sep 2012
Posts: 6
Location: Western Washington
Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:10 pm quote
Heated Gear
Know if the BV350's charging system is sufficient to run a heated vest and gloves?

Gloves
Current 2.2 amps
Watts 27 watts

Vest
Current 4.5 amps
Watts 54 watts

http://gerbing.com/
Rallies Europe 2016   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous1234
[ Time: 0.4077s ][ Queries: 28 (0.1022s) ][ Debug on ]