Constant beep. Tilt lock issue? Help?
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion 12Next
Author Message
Member
Piaggio MP3 500
Joined: 02 Jan 2012
Posts: 46
Location: Irvine, CA
Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:04 pm quote
I searched the forums and couldn't find anybody else with this exact same issue, so I'm creating this post in hopes someone has seen it before and knows how to fix it. I have a 2010 MP3 500. I live in Irvine,CA. It started right at the time of my 1st service, 626 miles on the odometer. After sitting for a day in my covered garage, it just stated beeping. A neighbor dropped by and said "Hey, I think your scooter just flat-lined." I go out and can hear the tilt lock beeping constantly. I figure someone tried to steal it and it was just the theft alarm. A quick run through the manual and I realize these don't have a factory theft alarm. The only way to make the beeping stop is to turn the ignition key on or disconnect the battery. It runs and rides totally fine. Nothing wrong with the tilt lock at all. But when you remove the key... after bout 10 seconds it starts beeping constantly.

Here is a video of the issue: http://youtu.be/Yeygz1MsTPc

I took it into a local Vespa shop for an oil change and they said they don't know what the issue is. The owner called around and said the guys at a Piaggio Dealer about 6 hours away have heard of it happening before and it has to do with some bushing or something up front. Says it wasn't installed properly at the factory. The dealer I bought it from is about a 2 hour drive away and speaking to them over the phone, they never heard of the issue. So I'm hesitant to drop it off with them and have it sit for weeks while they try to figure it out. I'd rather drop it off with some info on exactly what is wrong. So if there are any genius tinkerers on this board that might help, it would be much appreciated. Any procedures I can try to fix it myself would also be worth a try before making this 2 hour ride to the dealer.



Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:52 pm
This post was not quite
What we were hoping to see
Try again, perhaps?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Posts: 21761
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:24 pm quote
you have something else going on. When you remove the key you have 2 lights still staying on, they should have gone off. 1 looks like the parking brake and the other looks like the suspension lock.

Is your parking brake set?

Try putting the scoot on the center stand and no parking brake set, also when its on the center stand double click the tilt lock off so the front suspension is free, then turn the key off. let us know what happens.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 39463
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:30 am quote
Re: Constant beep. Tilt lock issue? Help?
lotusstyle wrote:
It started right at the time of my 1st service, 626 miles on the odometer.
The shop has buggered-up some wiring somewhere. With the ignition off, no lights should stay on (with the exception of the seat-open light if the seat is open, and the immobiliser LED).
Member
Piaggio MP3 500
Joined: 02 Jan 2012
Posts: 46
Location: Irvine, CA
Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:14 am quote
Re: Constant beep. Tilt lock issue? Help?
jimc wrote:
lotusstyle wrote:
It started right at the time of my 1st service, 626 miles on the odometer.
The shop has buggered-up some wiring somewhere. With the ignition off, no lights should stay on (with the exception of the seat-open light if the seat is open, and the immobiliser LED).
Sorry, I should have clarified, the issue started at 626 miles, before I took it in for an oil change. I was kind of hoping they could change the oil AND fix the issue. They ended up only doing the oil change.
Member
Piaggio MP3 500
Joined: 02 Jan 2012
Posts: 46
Location: Irvine, CA
Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:15 am quote
old as dirt wrote:
you have something else going on. When you remove the key you have 2 lights still staying on, they should have gone off. 1 looks like the parking brake and the other looks like the suspension lock.

Is your parking brake set?

Try putting the scoot on the center stand and no parking brake set, also when its on the center stand double click the tilt lock off so the front suspension is free, then turn the key off. let us know what happens.
Thanks Old, I will try that tonight when I get off of work.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Posts: 21761
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:03 pm quote
Re: Constant beep. Tilt lock issue? Help?
lotusstyle wrote:
jimc wrote:
lotusstyle wrote:
It started right at the time of my 1st service, 626 miles on the odometer.
The shop has buggered-up some wiring somewhere. With the ignition off, no lights should stay on (with the exception of the seat-open light if the seat is open, and the immobiliser LED).
Sorry, I should have clarified, the issue started at 626 miles, before I took it in for an oil change. I was kind of hoping they could change the oil AND fix the issue. They ended up only doing the oil change.
ya gotta tell them or they ain't going to do nothing but what the service calls for.
Hooked
MP3 250
Joined: 15 Sep 2006
Posts: 142
Location: Boca Raton Fl
Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:25 pm quote
I'm sorry but I don't have the answer to your problem but I noticed on your video you have the temperature reading in fahrenheit. My 250 is a few years older but I can only get celsius. Is there a way of updating it?
Addicted
2009 Piaggio MP3 250
Joined: 19 Aug 2011
Posts: 788
Location: Michigan; USA
Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:36 pm quote
jkessel wrote:
I'm sorry but I don't have the answer to your problem but I noticed on your video you have the temperature reading in fahrenheit. My 250 is a few years older but I can only get celsius. Is there a way of updating it?
Did you check the user manual? There is a way to switch it using key and button combinations.
Banned
MP3 500
Joined: 20 Aug 2008
Posts: 4530
Location: Ashburn, Va
Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:49 am quote
jkessel wrote:
I'm sorry but I don't have the answer to your problem but I noticed on your video you have the temperature reading in fahrenheit. My 250 is a few years older but I can only get celsius. Is there a way of updating it?
Hold the "Mode" button down while you turn the ignition on. Then look at the dash, use the "Set" button the change C to and Kilometers to miles.
Shows it in the manual.
Enthusiast
MP3 500
Joined: 23 Feb 2012
Posts: 66
Location: NY
Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:24 am quote
StooterBoy wrote:
jkessel wrote:
I'm sorry but I don't have the answer to your problem but I noticed on your video you have the temperature reading in fahrenheit. My 250 is a few years older but I can only get celsius. Is there a way of updating it?
Hold the "Mode" button down while you turn the ignition on. Then look at the dash, use the "Set" button the change C to and Kilometers to miles.
Shows it in the manual.
Yep...the only thing you can't change is the 24 hour clock....
Banned
09 Piaggio MP3 500
Joined: 09 Nov 2011
Posts: 250
Location: California, USA
Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:33 am quote
I have to do my 500 every week seems like, got it down by heart.

Turn key while simultaneously pressing the Mode button on right handlebar cluster for 5 sec. Look at center gauge. Change the bottom flashing display from km to mi (miles) by the Mode button.

Press the Set button under the display for 2 sec. Now the C/F is flashing, change it to F (Fahrenheit) by the Mode button.

Now turn key off...on again and everything is Non-Metric like we Americans like it! This does not have a memory so it will forget the setting on low battery or dead conditions.

PS...Copy and paste this onto a word doc and print it out. Cut it down and tape it underneath you seat...cause your going to need it a LOT!
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 39463
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:49 am quote
500razorback wrote:
PS...Copy and paste this onto a word doc and print it out. Cut it down and tape it underneath you seat...cause your going to need it a LOT!
Only if your battery is buggered.
Hooked
2007 MP3 250
Joined: 17 Apr 2010
Posts: 108
Location: South Carolina Lowcountry
Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:31 pm quote
jimc wrote:
Only if your battery is buggered.
Starting to think that's MY issue now. Everything fine most of the time, but strange electrical problems in the cold, damp, or after sitting a few days without the tender.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Posts: 21761
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:28 pm quote
jw_fox wrote:
jimc wrote:
Only if your battery is buggered.
Starting to think that's MY issue now. Everything fine most of the time, but strange electrical problems in the cold, damp, or after sitting a few days without the tender.
how old is the Battery?
Hooked
2007 MP3 250
Joined: 17 Apr 2010
Posts: 108
Location: South Carolina Lowcountry
Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:16 am quote
old as dirt wrote:
jw_fox wrote:
jimc wrote:
Only if your battery is buggered.
Starting to think that's MY issue now. Everything fine most of the time, but strange electrical problems in the cold, damp, or after sitting a few days without the tender.
how old is the Battery?
~3 years, so yeah.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Posts: 21761
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:12 am quote
jw_fox wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
jw_fox wrote:
jimc wrote:
Only if your battery is buggered.
Starting to think that's MY issue now. Everything fine most of the time, but strange electrical problems in the cold, damp, or after sitting a few days without the tender.
how old is the Battery?
~3 years, so yeah.
your due.
Addicted
MP3 500
Joined: 10 Apr 2011
Posts: 857
Location: Plano, Texas
Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:19 pm quote
did the OP resolve his issue?
Member
Fuoco 500ie
Joined: 07 Aug 2011
Posts: 41
Location: Canberra, Australia
Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:32 pm quote
trirol1 wrote:
did the OP resolve his issue?
Don't think so. I've been following this thread with interest because I've got an odd beeping issue too. But it's intermittent. I'm just happy to read whatever advice the experts out here have to offer.
Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250
Joined: 02 Jun 2009
Posts: 3806
Location: San Diego, California
Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:00 am quote
A similar thing happens with the parking lights when polarity is reversed. Check all the fuses
Member
Piaggio MP3 500
Joined: 02 Jan 2012
Posts: 46
Location: Irvine, CA
Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:09 am quote
trirol1 wrote:
did the OP resolve his issue?
Nope. Unfortunately none of the suggestions worked, so I made an appointment to take it in for service this coming Thursday the 26th to Malcolm Smith Motosports in Riverside. They said they can order the parts under warranty, but if they need to disassemble anything, it will cost me?! Kind of a lame warranty. I sort of talked it out with the service manager and he said "Let's just cross that road when we reach it." So maybe if the fix is simple there won't be any cost out of my pocket. Just the 2 hour drive and gas wasted to get it back to the dealer.
Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250
Joined: 02 Jun 2009
Posts: 3806
Location: San Diego, California
Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:08 pm quote
Check your warranty papers. It's parts and labor. Riverside has not got good reviews in the past. If your in Irvine you would be better served at Vespa Motorsports in San Diego or Vespa of Sherman Oaks. Both have great mechanics. As I posted earlier. Check all the fuses, both fuse boxes and the hidden fuse on the backside of the starter relay
Banned
MP3 500
Joined: 20 Aug 2008
Posts: 4530
Location: Ashburn, Va
Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:36 pm quote
Yes, warranty is Parts AND Labor, don't let them pull any bull shit.
Member
Piaggio MP3 500
Joined: 02 Jan 2012
Posts: 46
Location: Irvine, CA
Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:47 pm quote
14perry wrote:
Check your warranty papers. It's parts and labor. Riverside has not got good reviews in the past. If your in Irvine you would be better served at Vespa Motorsports in San Diego or Vespa of Sherman Oaks. Both have great mechanics. As I posted earlier. Check all the fuses, both fuse boxes and the hidden fuse on the backside of the starter relay
Funny you mention those two places. The local scooter shop that did my oil change recommended those exact two locations as well. In fact, the service guy at the Sherman Oaks location heard of my issue before, but didn't mention exactly how to fix it. He just said something wasn't assembled right in the front end when they put it together. Too bad it is WAY too far for me to ride up there. I'm going to give the Riverside dealer a shot at fixing it before trying the other two locations.

Thanks everybody for the feedback and suggestions. This is a great forum so far. I've had experiences in other forums where you post something and it just dies from no responses at all. That doesn't seem to happen here.
Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250
Joined: 02 Jun 2009
Posts: 3806
Location: San Diego, California
Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:14 pm quote
Nice thing about this forum, nothing dies It may takeoff on a different path but they do come back to the original thread most of the time.
Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250
Joined: 02 Jun 2009
Posts: 3806
Location: San Diego, California
Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:18 pm quote
At 600 miles you should be going to a certified dealer for the checkup anyway. Needs to be done to keep the warranty valid. The oil change you had done would remove any clues to engine problems that the 600 mile
Inspection looks for. IE metal shavings in the original oil.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Posts: 21761
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:36 pm quote
14perry wrote:
At 600 miles you should be going to a certified dealer for the checkup anyway. Needs to be done to keep the warranty valid. The oil change you had done would remove any clues to engine problems that the 600 mile
Inspection looks for. IE metal shavings in the original oil.
NO you don't have to have the dealer do the 600 mile to maintain warranty. just document what you did and date.
Banned
MP3 500
Joined: 20 Aug 2008
Posts: 4530
Location: Ashburn, Va
Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:47 am quote
14perry wrote:
At 600 miles you should be going to a certified dealer for the checkup anyway. Needs to be done to keep the warranty valid.
WRONG

Not unless the service is free. Per Fed law, manufactures can not require you to return to a dealer to perform work. As long as receipts are kept and proper fluids used, you are good.
Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250
Joined: 02 Jun 2009
Posts: 3806
Location: San Diego, California
Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:45 pm quote
I spoke to Sean from Piaggio, while at the Cannonball finish party, about the issue lotustyle is having with the scoot. He told me there is an error code in the tilt/lock ECU and they need to read the code with the navigator, fix the error and reset the ECU. He will be giving Malcolm Smith a call on their next business day.
Addicted
MP3 500
Joined: 10 Apr 2011
Posts: 857
Location: Plano, Texas
Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:51 pm quote
14perry wrote:
I spoke to Sean from Piaggio, while at the Cannonball finish party, about the issue lotustyle is having with the scoot. He told me there is an error code in the tilt/lock ECU and they need to read the code with the navigator, fix the error and reset the ECU. He will be giving Malcolm Smith a call on their next business day.
awesome!
Enthusiast
piaggio mp3 250
Joined: 24 Mar 2012
Posts: 80
Location: daly city
Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:55 pm quote
the support here got me into my first ride with feet up
So, after all the kindness of the people on this group, I got my lesson today which after being giving the courage to trust and have some confidence, I managed to make several trips around a large parking lot. probably 150 yards per lap. So I made turns and when I began to feel a bit unsteady, I applied a little throttle, keeping my left hand by the left brake as per the suggestions given here and the most important part, having confidence and let go of the fear. Only because of you all here was I able to give in and let go of my fear and trust in the words. I haven't taken a ride on the streets yet , but i've managed to ride in some large ovals in a big parking area. each loop was about 200 yards in length, the faster I went, the more in control I felt. Shame I had to stop at all. I did feel kind of secure for still being scared but glad I was able to deal with the fear part.
Member
Piaggio MP3 500
Joined: 02 Jan 2012
Posts: 46
Location: Irvine, CA
Wed May 30, 2012 8:20 am quote
14perry wrote:
I spoke to Sean from Piaggio, while at the Cannonball finish party, about the issue lotustyle is having with the scoot. He told me there is an error code in the tilt/lock ECU and they need to read the code with the navigator, fix the error and reset the ECU. He will be giving Malcolm Smith a call on their next business day.
Wow... thanks 14perry. That was very cool of you. That might explain why they finally called and told me what was wrong after they had it for a month! They said it is a bad ECU and that it will need to be replaced. Hopefully it's not being delivered from Italy via paddle-boat. Not sure how long the part will take to get to Malcolm Smith, but I'm starting to have riding withdrawals. I miss being on the open road.
Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250
Joined: 02 Jun 2009
Posts: 3806
Location: San Diego, California
Wed May 30, 2012 11:20 am quote
Check with the tech working on the scoot. Make sure they read that problem with the navigator. I would want to be DAMM sure it's not the tilt/lock hydraulic sensor on the caliper. Did you get the no charge thing worked out? Also Sean's number is listed at the top of this post. With our prime So Cal riding weather right now I would press them for a loaner.
Banned
MP3 500
Joined: 20 Aug 2008
Posts: 4530
Location: Ashburn, Va
Thu May 31, 2012 7:54 am quote
14perry wrote:
Check with the tech working on the scoot. Make sure they read that problem with the navigator. I would want to be DAMM sure it's not the tilt/lock hydraulic sensor on the caliper. Did you get the no charge thing worked out? Also Sean's number is listed at the top of this post. With our prime So Cal riding weather right now I would press them for a loaner.
The caliper has no hydraulics on it, the sensor is on the proportioning valve, isn't it?
Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250
Joined: 02 Jun 2009
Posts: 3806
Location: San Diego, California
Thu May 31, 2012 9:19 am quote
Not totally sure SB. I just remember members posting something similar to that. I would want to be sure before waiting a long time for a ECU that it was not something simple.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 39463
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Thu May 31, 2012 12:22 pm quote
There's merely a microswitch on the caliper.
Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250
Joined: 02 Jun 2009
Posts: 3806
Location: San Diego, California
Thu May 31, 2012 4:17 pm quote
Thanks for clearing that up Jim!
Member
Piaggio MP3 500
Joined: 02 Jan 2012
Posts: 46
Location: Irvine, CA
Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:22 pm quote
lotusstyle wrote:
14perry wrote:
I spoke to Sean from Piaggio, while at the Cannonball finish party, about the issue lotustyle is having with the scoot. He told me there is an error code in the tilt/lock ECU and they need to read the code with the navigator, fix the error and reset the ECU. He will be giving Malcolm Smith a call on their next business day.
Wow... thanks 14perry. That was very cool of you. That might explain why they finally called and told me what was wrong after they had it for a month! They said it is a bad ECU and that it will need to be replaced. Hopefully it's not being delivered from Italy via paddle-boat. Not sure how long the part will take to get to Malcolm Smith, but I'm starting to have riding withdrawals. I miss being on the open road.
UPDATE: The ECU was replaced but they had issues getting into it to program it correctly. That delayed my repair another week or so. Finally got a call today that it is ready for pick up. I was about to look into the California lemon law since it had been in for repair more than 30 consecutive days. Can't wait to ride it again. I'm going to head out for a ride along the PCH coast with a buddy who recently purchased an MP3 500. We will post pics of our ride. Hopefully there will be no more issues for a long time. *knocks on wood*
Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 500
Joined: 01 Jun 2012
Posts: 68
Location: Cerritos, CA
Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:48 pm quote
lotusstyle wrote:
I'm going to head out for a ride along the PCH coast with a buddy who recently purchased an MP3 500. We will post pics of our ride. Hopefully there will be no more issues for a long time. *knocks on wood*
BTW... I'm the buddy he's talking about.

I blame it all on him.
Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250
Joined: 02 Jun 2009
Posts: 3806
Location: San Diego, California
Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:44 am quote
I have been told that the Lemon law in California doesnot apply to motorcycles and scooters. Good luck with the scoot.
  DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion 12Next
[ Time: 0.1889s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0567s) ][ Debug on ]