OP
@texio avatar
UTC

Hooked
2006 LX 150 - 1981 P125X (work in progress)

Hooked
@texio avatar
UTC quote
I just installed a flashing LED Brake Light on my LX150. This bulb has 20 red high powered LEDs and it "strobes brightly at 20 flashes per second for two seconds every time you hit the brakes. After 2 seconds the light stays bright as long as your foot is on the brake." Or in the case of a Modern Vespa, as long as you are squeezing the brake lever.

I purchased the bulb from Autolumination.com. You can find it on this page:

http://autolumination.com/1156_1157.htm

It's about a third of the way down the page, and I attached the picture from the website to help you find it.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

It's not much of a mod, as it's a straight replacement of the brake bulb, but hey, we all have to start somewhere...

Below are the steps I followed. It's pretty straighforward, but as usual these are just indications, if you break anything don't blame me.

First you need to remove the two phillips screws that hold the brake light housing. The red plastic lens will come out, with the light bulb connections.

You will need to twist the orange connector about a quarter of a turn counterclockwise, and carefully pull out the connector and the bulb from the housing.

At this point you'll have to remove the bulb from the orange connector. You will need to gently push the bulb INTO the connector and twist it slightly counterclockwise. If you look at the corresponding picture, you'll see how the inside of the orange connector has two channels (only one is pictured, the other is opposite to it) that end with a 90 degree turn, where the two metal bumps on the bulb base slide into.

You can now insert the new bulb into the orange connector, by sliding it in and turning it clockwise.

NOTE: the two channels inside the orange connector are of different lenght, as the metal bumps are located on different spots on the bulb base. Make sure to note which side of the bulb base goes where, into the orange connector.

You can now re-insert the orange connector into the light housing, and screw the assembly back onto the chrome base on the scooter. Be sure not to overtighten the two screws, or you could crack the red plastic lens.

Et voila'! You now have a flasing brake light, which should make you more visible from behind and hopefully safer on the road.

Let me know if you have questions, or if you want to see the full size pictures to see more details.

Have fun!

Texio
@micbergsma avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2003 ET4, 2005 LX 150, 1964 GS 160

Molto Verboso
@micbergsma avatar
2003 ET4, 2005 LX 150, 1964 GS 160
UTC quote
awesome! hope to meet you around sometime soon and see that in person! I have backoff wig wag on my honda reflex, I will get one for my piaggio fly soon!
@ericalm avatar
UTC

Wiki Moderator
LX 190, Aurora Blue + Stella FOUR STROKE FURY! + '87 Helix

Wiki Moderator
@ericalm avatar
LX 190, Aurora Blue + Stella FOUR STROKE FURY! + '87 Helix
UTC quote
Nice! How do you like the light? Works as advertised?
@benito avatar
UTC

2010 Dragon Red GTS 300 Super, 2018 Grigio Titanio Piaggio Liberty S 150

@benito avatar
2010 Dragon Red GTS 300 Super, 2018 Grigio Titanio Piaggio Liberty S 150
UTC quote
That sounds like a good idea. Can you possibly take a photo of the light in action? Does it seem brighter? Is the pattern of light that it give off different?
@michael_h avatar
UTC

2006 LX150 "Amadora"

@michael_h avatar
2006 LX150 "Amadora"
UTC quote
ericalm wrote:
Nice! How do you like the light? Works as advertised?
I have the same bulb and it works as advertised. The flashing effect is very quick, and shouldn't be confused with pumping the brakes. It is a relatively inexpensive and easy safety mod to make.
@michael_h avatar
UTC

2006 LX150 "Amadora"

@michael_h avatar
2006 LX150 "Amadora"
UTC quote
Re: LX150: Install a flashing LED Brake Light
texio wrote:
I just installed a flashing LED Brake Light on my LX150. This bulb has 20 red high powered LEDs and it "strobes brightly at 20 flashes per second for two seconds every time you hit the brakes. After 2 seconds the light stays bright as long as your foot is on the brake." Or in the case of a Modern Vespa, as long as you are squeezing the brake lever.

NOTE: the two channels inside the orange connector are of different lenght, as the metal bumps are located on different spots on the bulb base. Make sure to note which side of the bulb base goes where, into the orange connector.

Texio
I found that if you put the bulb in the wrong way, it will immediately flash and stay constantly on - even when not pressing the brake lever. It is pretty apparent when it is not correct, but better if you take the time to orient the bulb properly into the socket.
OP
@texio avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@texio avatar
UTC quote
It seems to work as advertised, it's very bright and flashes rapidly for 2 seconds before staying on every time you squeeze the brakes. I had found it should only go in one way, since the two channels inside the orange socket are of different lenghts, but I guess it would be possible to force it in the wrong way and observe the effect harnadem described. It's easy to just reinsert it the right way at that point.

It would appear to be a little brighter than the stock incandescent bulb, but it's hard to compare them side by side, I'll have to look at it next to my friend's LX50. I believe it might also be brighter since the stock bulb was white and the red only came from the red plastic, while the 20 LEDs light up red themselves.

It's hard to take a picture of it in action as it flashes very rapidly (20 times/second) but is definitely noticeable with the naked eye and I believe it catches the attention of somebody following me better than just a steady red light.

I don't believe the pattern of light is different, since the light is diffused by the red plastic lens in the same way for the two bulbs, other than the different intensity.
UTC

UTC quote
I had also bought 2 matrix II bulbs from autolumination.com and they have since broke and eventually they told me that their bulbs are not meant to work with a battery charger like the battery tender. I had asked them to help me replace them with ones that worked, but they would not answer my email. Of course they do not say anywhere on their site that their bulbs do not work with chargers. Beware when replacing bulbs with LEDs from that company.
@italianscoots avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2015 Primavera Montebianco "Falcor"

Molto Verboso
@italianscoots avatar
2015 Primavera Montebianco "Falcor"
UTC quote
Pssst - I bought one of these lights about 2 months ago and just the other day (Wednesday I think) it stopped working. Luckily it didn't go out completely but it did stay in the on position, like I was riding with my brakes on!

You should probably keep your old light bulb and a screwdriver in your bike just in case.

-Mel
OP
@texio avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@texio avatar
UTC quote
Interesting. I wonder if anyone else that used that bulb experienced something similar. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it, thanks for the warning!
@michael_h avatar
UTC

2006 LX150 "Amadora"

@michael_h avatar
2006 LX150 "Amadora"
UTC quote
italianscoots wrote:
Pssst - I bought one of these lights about 2 months ago and just the other day (Wednesday I think) it stopped working. Luckily it didn't go out completely but it did stay in the on position, like I was riding with my brakes on!

You should probably keep your old light bulb and a screwdriver in your bike just in case.

-Mel
Are we playing musical avatars now? I thought that this was a reply from lucky bastard at first ...
Edit - found the thread that explains this in the General Forum
@romito1 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2006 LX 150

Enthusiast
@romito1 avatar
2006 LX 150
UTC quote
flashing LED
I have one in my LX150 and I love it! It's been installed for months and working fine. I do however have the original bulb because I'm not sure if the flashing LED is legal in the Garden State of New Jersey.

I figure when I go for the state inspection in 2008 I'll just swap out the bulb. And that will take only a couple of minutes.

A couple of reasons why I like it 1) easy to install and it works, 2) no cutting of ANY wires, 3) it's inexpensive, 4) maybe the vacationers who are down the Jersey shore will see me earlier and slow down or stop.

Be Safe!

Ray
UTC

'06 LX150

'06 LX150
UTC quote
italianscoots wrote:

-Mel
I think mine just stopped working too. I noticed tonight that it flashed when I first turned the key, but then just stayed on.

Mel, did you contact the seller?
UTC

Hooked
Smoke Grey "Il Grigio" 2006 GT 200L

Hooked
Smoke Grey "Il Grigio" 2006 GT 200L
UTC quote
mlee10018 wrote:
I had also bought 2 matrix II bulbs from autolumination.com and they have since broke and eventually they told me that their bulbs are not meant to work with a battery charger like the battery tender. I had asked them to help me replace them with ones that worked, but they would not answer my email. Of course they do not say anywhere on their site that their bulbs do not work with chargers. Beware when replacing bulbs with LEDs from that company.
I got two of their lamps and a brake light modulator. The lamps were DEFINITELY not as bright as the OEM bulb. The modulator crapped out after several stops, AND did not quit in a fail safe mode. That is to say, the brake light did not work.
I restored everything to original, and can only say I was lucky to find the system was not operational in time to prevent a major problem.

They offered to replace the modulator but the cost of returning the defective one was more than I paid for it in the first place.

I eventually went to Comagination and bought their brake/head lamp modulator kit and installed it. Both have worked flawlessly. AND they are fail safe.

I have found that in ALL applications that I have tried, LED replacement bulbs, are NOT as bright overall, as the incandescent bulbs.

The LED bulbs do have a very narrow focus plane in which they are brighter, but the overall pattern is not.
UTC

Enthusiast
BV250

Enthusiast
BV250
UTC quote
samje bulb
FYI Mine lasted two weeks and I'm sending it back today.
@andrew avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 Fly 150

Molto Verboso
@andrew avatar
2006 Fly 150
UTC quote
carrelro wrote:
I got two of their lamps and a brake light modulator. The lamps were DEFINITELY not as bright as the OEM bulb. The modulator crapped out after several stops, AND did not quit in a fail safe mode. That is to say, the brake light did not work.
I restored everything to original, and can only say I was lucky to find the system was not operational in time to prevent a major problem.

They offered to replace the modulator but the cost of returning the defective one was more than I paid for it in the first place.

I eventually went to Comagination and bought their brake/head lamp modulator kit and installed it. Both have worked flawlessly. AND they are fail safe.

I have found that in ALL applications that I have tried, LED replacement bulbs, are NOT as bright overall, as the incandescent bulbs.

The LED bulbs do have a very narrow focus plane in which they are brighter, but the overall pattern is not.
It is true that it is difficult (not technically, but cost/implementation/etc) to get LEDs to be an adequate replacement for conventional bulbs. However, the newer high output LEDs are extremely bright, and with the proper mounting scheme, heat sink, and reflector/lens they can be superior (energy savings and output). A common reason for LEDs failing is improper heat dissipation, and current regulation (voltage fluctuation/spikes).

I have found many applications where the LED was better, but many more where they were just not bright enough (as is common). However, they are more efficient, so that alone can make up for lake of brightness in many applications (usually battery operated).

Aftermarket companies in general quite often don't put the correct amount of design robustness into their products, however sometimes they go far beyond and make innovative and durable products.
@bassplayer avatar
UTC

Hooked
'03 ET2 70 & '85 PX150

Hooked
@bassplayer avatar
'03 ET2 70 & '85 PX150
UTC quote
hmm sounds like a good safety feature...
does anyone know if these flashing brake light bulbs are actually legal in australia? ive never seen them before
@dillinger-63 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Had 2 2006 GTS 250ie's

Ossessionato
@dillinger-63 avatar
Had 2 2006 GTS 250ie's
UTC quote
I know these are more expensive,

http://www.motorcyclelighting.com/universal-hyper.html

But I put them on my LX150, and just ordered a set for my GTS. And baby they are bright!
UTC

2007 Portofino Green GTV & 2008 Scarabeo 500ie

2007 Portofino Green GTV & 2008 Scarabeo 500ie
UTC quote
Did any of you ever install a modulator in an lx150? I bought a modulator from Comagination and it fits into the brake light housing on my 250GTS just fine, but is too large to fit into the housing of my wife's LX150. I'm guessing I'll need to tap the wires under the seat, but not quite sure which cable bundle I should start with.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
⬆️    About 2 months elapsed    ⬇️
@thinair avatar
UTC

Sponsor
'07 GTS 250ie

Sponsor
@thinair avatar
'07 GTS 250ie
UTC quote
Mine (autoillumination) broke after about 1000 miles. I do use a battery tender.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0436s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0192s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]