OP
@boomerjinks avatar
UTC

1965 Vespa SS 180

@boomerjinks avatar
1965 Vespa SS 180
UTC quote
We'll call this my first post, since I've been unable to register for the last six months for some reason (no worries, lurking here has been so incredibly, amazingly helpful in the project!).

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

Video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QLJjb39VrA

It's a 1965 Vespa Super Sport 180 from FLCL (fooly cooly)

Hopefully the enthusiastically purist members will forgive me this indiscretion, as it is an all-out replica instead of just another member of the P! sticker army!

Last summer I decided to fulfill one of my wife's long-standing dreams of having a scooter. She would often talk about wanting a Ruckus or a superbike, but she would more frequently fawn over how cute a classic Vespa looked. She's also a pretty avid costumer, the kind of girl who spends hours dying and styling wigs, who has completely taken over the second bedroom of our apartment with rolls of fabric, buckets of resin, and all manner of crafting accessories.

I started a secret savings account last July and I've been putting little things into it since. eBay sales, tips from when we use the movie cars as charity limos, stuff like that. In February I reached my goal and started officially looking for a starter body. The SS 180 is a pretty sought-after type of scooter, it's not the rarest or most valuable, but it's really popular. Originally I planned to build a clone by buying a late 70s P-series scooter and swapping out the parts to make it into an comparable look-alike of an SS. At the end of February I lucked out. Someone in Arizona was selling an SS, the exact body type that I needed. The exterior was kind of rough, but mechanically it was sound. The original engine had been removed and replaced with a more powerful, more reliable, and easier to maintain engine from a P200. This made the scooter undesirable for a collector, but ideal for someone who wanted to turn it into a nerdmobile. I guess the meme of "and nothing of value was lost" might apply here!

So I made up a story about going snowmobiling across the divide with my brother as a cover to keep my wife from asking too many questions. I grabbed a good friend to tag along and we departed for Flagstaff, Arizona.

We drove through the night, planning to sleep in Socorro, but stopped in Albuquerque to visit [url=http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u134/Boomerjinks/vespa/478522_10150718917974609_501869608_8959882_100791394_o.jpg]Walt's car wash from Breaking Bad.[/url] That was pretty cool.

After leaving Socorro we headed west to another place I've been dying to visit for years, the Very Large Array.

Most famous for it's role as a location in Contact, Terminator: Salvation, and a handful of other films, the VLA is a set of 27 dishes arranged in a Y-shape that act as one large radio telescope. We hit the visitors center, watched the little video and looked at the exhibits, and I picked up some VLA swag for my nerd friends back home. The staff saw the car and got pretty excited (we must have been their only visitors in a while), and they let us drive around the access roads of the facility for some neat photo opportunities. Great people, awesome place. You should go.

Near Holbrook, Arizona we came across an old Route 66 Wigwam motel that had classic cars parked in front of each room to add to the atmosphere.
So it looks like Radiator Springs is a real place!

After that was Meteor Crater.

Which is pretty goddamn amazing. I was a bit disappointed that it felt like a tourist trap thanks to it being privately owned, but the crater itself is worth seeing. VERY cool.
[URL=http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u134/Boomerjinks/vespa/craterphotomerge.jpg]External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text[/URL]

We arrived in Flagstaff around 4pm and made our way to seller's house. He ran over the details of the scooter, things like modifications, damage, behavior, all the good stuff.

At this point, I had never driven a motorcycle or scooter by myself. Now that I think about it, the only two-wheeled motorized vehicle I'd ever been in control of had been a Segway! He took me around the block on it, gave me a quick lesson, and I tried it myself. It almost got away from me at first (the P200 engine is a goddamn MONSTER for this thing), but I figured it out and took my first ride in a neighborhood in Arizona. We loaded it up into the back of the Magnum, it fit perfectly. This was a huge relief as, eyeballing the space back there, it didn't look like it would fit. The measurements the owner gave me before I left were well within the confines of the car, so I had to trust the math.

The fuel tank was pretty empty, but it still reeked of gasoline, something we'd have to endure for the next 12 hours. We went home by going north through Utah. Moab, Grand Junction, Vail, and back in Denver by 2am, which was pretty good!

After getting it hope and secreting it to a friend's garage for storage away from prying eyes, we stripped it down and got it ready for paint. Kind of sad to see the flat black go, that looked REALLY cool...

A week later it was ready!

Initially I'd planned to get the scooter 100% complete before giving it to my wife. But she is pretty particular about her cosplay stuff, her favorite costumes are the ones she made completely from scratch. For her it's more about making them than wearing them. So I changed my plans and decided to unveil the scooter early so she could be a part of the assembly process, thereby turning it into something she helped make. When she first saw it, she didn't quite understand. She thought it was just someone else's scooter that would be perfect for a Haruko FLCL scooter. When I stated that it was hers, she looked at me confused, shoved me, and started crying.

God. Damn. Adorable. :3

We brought the Vespa home and wiggled it into the elevator and up into the apartment. Work started immediately.
And it was all back together a few days later!

Immediately after getting it roadworthy, one of the gear selector cables snapped and the scooter was back under my wrench.

Installing the bar-end turn signals.

The bar-end lights have been particularly frustrating. After many hours of researching online and chatting with the guys at Sportique, we determined that the headpiece of her scooter is an SS180, but that the handlebar "twist grips" are from a 60s or 70s Vespa Rally. I'm sure one of you could tell me tons of things about the scooter that I would have never known otherwise, though!

But it's nice to know that the original "production" Vespa is at least as much a frankenscooter as this one is.

People at anime cons will likely know exactly what the scooter is all about, but it's an obscure-enough cartoon that lots of people probably won't even know what the ****, so I made this for her to put next to it.

Vespas are sassy.

Tapping the holes for the fin.

Perfect fit!

The sticker on the leg shield was a placeholder, she applied the final vinyl and pulled it off - the finishing touch!

Things left to do for the scooter:
- replace a few gray seals with black ones
- replace the legshield beading the original, fatter trim
- fix the horn
- add the 3D "egg" shape on the side of the fin.
- I may or may not add the ignition slot on top of the headpiece. It's rarely drawn on the scooter in the show, and when it is, there usually isn't even a key in it.
- create an accurate "5656" license plate. "FLCL" is the current custom plate we're gunning for.

Things left to do for us:
- motorcycle safety class
- gear shopping

My wife cosplayed as Haruko back in 2007, so now she's in super go-mode to get that costume back up to her standards so she can wear it on the scooter at the next con!

A terribly fun project that will make for a terribly fun summer!

Unbelievably huge thanks to Sportique Scooters here in Denver, and ScooterWest for tons of parts!
⚠️ Last edited by Boomerjinks on UTC; edited 5 times
@koenig_blues avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
a not so normal vbb2 '64, a weirdo vbx '86, a not so normal pts100 '82 and a yellow sunshine '74 sprint

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@koenig_blues avatar
a not so normal vbb2 '64, a weirdo vbx '86, a not so normal pts100 '82 and a yellow sunshine '74 sprint
UTC quote
touching..
awesome story Wha? emoticon
awesome bike

i bet ur wife will always remember you as a very romantc husband

good job on the restoration and on how u givin ur wife a surprise

enjoy the bike together and cheer mate
@menhir avatar
UTC

@menhir avatar
UTC quote
Ride on Shooting Star!

(The OP will get the reference. 8) )
@nigelthefish avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
ET2, PX150

Ossessionato
@nigelthefish avatar
ET2, PX150
UTC quote
I've never seen the the show but I've seen a lot of pictures and a lot of P's tossed on scooter but yours looks a hell of a lot better. Nice bike, very accurate right down to the missing dust covers.

Also I know that bridge. I've had my drunken ass hauled across it a couple times.
@akp avatar
UTC

TEAM #68
ET4 & GT160

TEAM #68
@akp avatar
ET4 & GT160
UTC quote
I LOVE this.
@akp avatar
UTC

TEAM #68
ET4 & GT160

TEAM #68
@akp avatar
ET4 & GT160
UTC quote
Just popping in again to say I love this!
@koenig_blues avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@koenig_blues avatar
UTC quote
aint yellow makes us mellow.. dang i also love that bike along with the story as well
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
One of the nicest SS 180's I have ever seen !

Your wife must LOVE it !
@vespistim avatar
UTC

Hooked
gt

Hooked
@vespistim avatar
gt
UTC quote
Awesome job on those turn signals. Can't say I'm digging the fin though.
@witch avatar
UTC

Moderatrice Strega

Moderatrice Strega
@witch avatar
UTC quote
I snapped some pics of your bike at Starfest a couple weeks ago! There was a black ET2 parked next to it for a while. Very very nice.
@vfonseca avatar
UTC

vespa lx 190ie

@vfonseca avatar
vespa lx 190ie
UTC quote
wonderful bilke!!!
OP
@boomerjinks avatar
UTC

1965 Vespa SS 180

@boomerjinks avatar
1965 Vespa SS 180
UTC quote
Witch wrote:
I snapped some pics of your bike at Starfest a couple weeks ago! There was a black ET2 parked next to it for a while. Very very nice.
Yep yep! The SS originally had rockstar parking up near the lobby, but one of the hearse owners moved it behind an SUV so they could get park their car in it's place... So I moved it down to the convention hall entrance.

I'm really happy to see so many Denver scooter owners on this site, how cool!
@xtine avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS250, PX125

Hooked
@xtine avatar
Vespa GTS250, PX125
UTC quote
That is incredible! Looks just like it. SO awesome.
@vader19 avatar
UTC

Mr. Clean
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special

Mr. Clean
@vader19 avatar
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special
UTC quote
I would rock that in a millisecond... So f'in sweet... I was wondering what the plate on the fork was, but I get it... JUST AWESOME...AWESOME.
cheers

Just looked again... That color is the feek! Nectar all the way.
@karmann avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 Avio Grey GTV

Hooked
@karmann avatar
2007 Avio Grey GTV
UTC quote
Quote:
tips from when we use the movie cars as charity limos
Movie cars? Do tell!
OP
@boomerjinks avatar
UTC

1965 Vespa SS 180

@boomerjinks avatar
1965 Vespa SS 180
UTC quote
Karmann wrote:
Movie cars? Do tell!
I have a replica movie car club in Denver. We use the cars as limos sometimes to help raise donations for the local children's hospital.

Colorado Movie Cars

Still questing to find the perfect location in Denver for an all-in-one photograph with power lines, a bridge, a river, and that elusive yellow sky!

Yesterdays sunset gave me a pretty good sky, though...

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text[/url]
@markysparx avatar
UTC

Turnkey 79
2 helmets, 2 jackets, 4 spark plugs, 2 rear bulbs, some bolts, a spring, an ET rear rack, clear indicators and half a can of unleaded, but no bike!

Turnkey 79
@markysparx avatar
2 helmets, 2 jackets, 4 spark plugs, 2 rear bulbs, some bolts, a spring, an ET rear rack, clear indicators and half a can of unleaded, but no bike!
UTC quote
I must add to this, what a super looking bike. Nice job mate!
@t5bitza69 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@t5bitza69 avatar
T5s
UTC quote
simples
ohh yes that does look sweet ..... but is there a white oval missing on that fork link thingy
@nigelthefish avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
ET2, PX150

Ossessionato
@nigelthefish avatar
ET2, PX150
UTC quote
Boomerjinks wrote:
Karmann wrote:
Movie cars? Do tell!
I have a replica movie car club in Denver. We use the cars as limos sometimes to help raise donations for the local children's hospital.

Still questing to find the perfect location in Denver for an all-in-one photograph with power lines, a bridge, a river, and that elusive yellow sky!

Yesterdays sunset gave me a pretty good sky, though...

South Platte River Dr down near the powerstation at sunset would work.
@sunburst avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 Vespa LX 150, Moto Guzzi V7II Racer

Hooked
@sunburst avatar
2009 Vespa LX 150, Moto Guzzi V7II Racer
UTC quote
Very cool...love the color!
@airedale1 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 GTS 250ie

Hooked
@airedale1 avatar
2007 GTS 250ie
UTC quote
Wonderful story! Great job on the restoration and the photos and art tell the story so beautifully. Well done.
OP
@boomerjinks avatar
UTC

1965 Vespa SS 180

@boomerjinks avatar
1965 Vespa SS 180
UTC quote
My in-line voltage regulator arrived today, hopefully I can go without blowing a the more tail light bulbs for a few months. I feel like my headlight is particularly dim and the tail light is nearly non-existent, are there preferred methods of upgrading to LEDs, or is there anything I should check through the electrical setup?
@nigelthefish avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
ET2, PX150

Ossessionato
@nigelthefish avatar
ET2, PX150
UTC quote
Boomerjinks wrote:
My in-line voltage regulator arrived today, hopefully I can go without blowing a the more tail light bulbs for a few months. I feel like my headlight is particularly dim and the tail light is nearly non-existent, are there preferred methods of upgrading to LEDs, or is there anything I should check through the electrical setup?
Convert to 12 volt or get your flywheel remagnitized. Post that question over on the not not so modern side.
OP
@boomerjinks avatar
UTC

1965 Vespa SS 180

@boomerjinks avatar
1965 Vespa SS 180
UTC quote
nigelthefish wrote:
Convert to 12 volt or get your flywheel remagnitized. Post that question over on the not not so modern side.
It's a P200 setup so it should be 12v, I think. I'll check with the vintage guys.
UTC

Addicted
GTS250

Addicted
GTS250
UTC quote
top job, best P! I've seen - still don't get the plate on the forks, but what ever.
great job.
OP
@boomerjinks avatar
UTC

1965 Vespa SS 180

@boomerjinks avatar
1965 Vespa SS 180
UTC quote
MartinB wrote:
top job, best P! I've seen - still don't get the plate on the forks, but what ever.
great job.
As far as I can tell it's just from the animations being all LOLstyleLOL and serves no purpose anywhere in the cartoon.

It's there for accuracy. I'm still working on ways to make the fin look a little less tacked-on, and I've still got to add the rounded oval to the side of it.
@tidwillow avatar
UTC

Hooked
GILERA FUOCO II & GTS 300 SUPER

Hooked
@tidwillow avatar
GILERA FUOCO II & GTS 300 SUPER
UTC quote
This is, dare i say it FOOLY COOLY!!!!
OP
@boomerjinks avatar
UTC

1965 Vespa SS 180

@boomerjinks avatar
1965 Vespa SS 180
UTC quote
TIDWILLOW wrote:
This is, dare i say it FOOLY COOLY!!!!
Laughing emoticon

Here's another photo dump, I've yet to take it into a more industrial part of town, but this was the perfect bridge/river, I think...

HDR is tacky to me, but I thought this had some nice colors...
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
Keep the pics coming !

I could look at that all day Razz emoticon
UTC

Molto Verboso
LXS 150

Molto Verboso
LXS 150
UTC quote
Outstanding, both as a project and as a gift.

When are we getting the stop-motion movie of it running around by itself, for YouTube?

-Rusty
'09 LX150S
UTC

UTC quote
Deadly work mate
OP
@boomerjinks avatar
UTC

1965 Vespa SS 180

@boomerjinks avatar
1965 Vespa SS 180
UTC quote
Rusty J wrote:
Outstanding, both as a project and as a gift.

When are we getting the stop-motion movie of it running around by itself, for YouTube?

-Rusty
'09 LX150S
Sooon! Here was the prototype video from April 22.
UTC

Molto Verboso
LXS 150

Molto Verboso
LXS 150
UTC quote
Amazing -- and definitely worth the effort!

-Rusty
'09 LX150S
OP
@boomerjinks avatar
UTC

1965 Vespa SS 180

@boomerjinks avatar
1965 Vespa SS 180
UTC quote
Not at all FLCL-related, but this was fun, too.

I took my wife shopping for helmets and she settled on a sparkly purple 3/4 with rose-tinted visor that she's likely going to cover with stickers or something equally cute.

Initially I really wanted to get a Simpson Diamondback helmet and just spend my days being a Fat Stig, but since those cost $500+ I had to find an alternative. She made a suggestion and I started with a new 3/4 black helmet with a goofy pattern.

I tried so hard to find a used helmet that I could mod, but in the end this worked. Pulled the rubber trim.

I HATE taking something brand new and scuffing hitting it sand paper. This was almost as agonizing as when I put the drill to the roof of my brand-new Magnum in 2009, ugh.

Coat of blue - wetsand with 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500 - repeat x3

Coat of clear - wetsand with 2000, 2500 - repeat x4

Then off to my vinyl guy!

Red vinyl is reflective, which I guess is redundant since if I am to wear the helmet at night I will have to switch the faceshield out for a clear one. But I rarely ride at night.

I actually need to trim the white stripe 2 inches away from the visor, and I am still debating whether or not I want a non-flip-up mirror visor. Right now the flip-up completely covers my face and jaw so I like it, but I know the simpler face shields would look closer to the actual design.

It's not supposed to be a straight-up replica or anything really worthy of the term "cosplay," but it was fun to make. It's hardly worth showing off compared so the AMAZING paint jobs and mods that people make to their helmets, but I like it.
@servicejeff avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 GT200 1962 VBB Cushman

Hooked
@servicejeff avatar
2007 GT200 1962 VBB Cushman
UTC quote
Great looking bike!! The fin on the front fork Other than that very nice! Enjoy!
@vezpa avatar
UTC

Banned
Vespa GTS 300 Super & Vespa P125X

Banned
@vezpa avatar
Vespa GTS 300 Super & Vespa P125X
UTC quote
The bike looks fantastic but you must toss that speedometer in the garbage and get a OEM one thats sits flush and proper.
OP
@boomerjinks avatar
UTC

1965 Vespa SS 180

@boomerjinks avatar
1965 Vespa SS 180
UTC quote
VEZPA wrote:
The bike looks fantastic but you must toss that speedometer in the garbage and get a OEM one thats sits flush and proper.
This is the sort of stuff I love hearing. I had NO IDEA that the speedometer was incorrect. I know it sits in there in a funky way, but I have no experience to compare this to. Do you have a picture of how a correct speedometer sits in there/looks like?

Thanks!!
UTC

Hopefully owner of a GTS 250 in Yellow.

Hopefully owner of a GTS 250 in Yellow.
UTC quote
This, my friend, is amazing
Hi, I'm new to the forums here at Modern Vespa, but I've been lurking for awhile, since i plan on getting my own soon enough. However, this thread caught my attention, not to mention I've seen picture bits here and there across the web. I gotta tell you, as an avid anime fan, especially that of FLCL (or Fooly Cooly) I find this absolutely amazing and inspiring! If I had that model my anime friends would go ape just to catch a ride on it. I can only imagine how your wife feels. Good Job!

Edit:
Surprised you don't have a custom plate with FLCL on it...Just sayin' 8)
@vader19 avatar
UTC

Mr. Clean
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special

Mr. Clean
@vader19 avatar
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special
UTC quote
I'm glad this popped up top again... I do dig looking at it... one of my Favs.
@duppex avatar
UTC

VESPA 2020 GTS SUPER SPORT HPE 300

@duppex avatar
VESPA 2020 GTS SUPER SPORT HPE 300
UTC quote
From a fellow Manga/Anime and Vespa Nut, It looks great.

Top Marks
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0450s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0172s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]