Painting body and bent fork.
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
Molto Verboso
2005 ET2 70cc, 14 mirrors, 2 headlights, lots of LEDs and a 2005 GT200 restored after a crash, 1978 SIL Lambretta GP200 and a 1983 Cushman Truckster
Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:08 am quote
I have bought a GT200 that was in an accident. Scratches along both sides, minor dents and a bent fork.

With help from the MV Tech Library I took off all the plastic. Headset, glovebox (all except the manual seat latch), floorboards, seat and trim.

I've been taking my time with this project as it hurts my back. Not so much the bending over as the getting back up afterwards.

I've sanded down almost all the body down to bare steel. Most of the scratches came out just with sanding.

The denting... Well I bought a 7 piece autobody kit cheap with 3 bumping hammers, mushroom dolly, heel dolly, etc. Mostly useless as one dent is behind the gas tank on the right side, another on the left side behind interior frame and the worst is up front behind two rad hoses I'm not about to fool with. The dents are hardly noticeable but I know they are there. I poly-filled the deeper scratches and dents with JBWeld two putty epoxy.

Today I'll going to start sanding my epoxy-fills and some of the under side before I paint on some primer. The hardest part for me will be taping up plastic is a precise manner to keep the paint off where it shouldn't be. Then I guess I'll primer-sand-primer until it's smooth as baby's bum.

I have a final coat colour... a two-tone antique copper I'm supposed to rag on wet. Hopefully it'll hide any imperfections my body work didn't cover. But I won't start this until much later.

Until I got all the plastic body off I wasn't exactly sure what was wrong with the fork. I can see now that it's definitely bent. It turns all right so I'm pretty certain that it's not bent up along inside the shaft. However, looking up the shaft there are two turn stops and it only touches one of them. I loosened and tightened the handle bar so it's lined up straight with the wheel again but the wheel still leans at probably 85degrees. I think I can get it straightened again. If worse comes to worse I'll order one.

I'm going to have to order a bunch of parts, maybe the fork but probably at the very least a steering column assembly kit as I understand there are ball bearings that may be out of round.

QUESTION; how do I drop the fork? I have some idea like undoing the brake fluid and all else from the head, and mounting the body up on some cinder blocks. I'm pretty sure I read about this procedure here a long time ago.

QUESTION#2; I got my Vespa Parts Manual for my ET2 from a link here last year. I'd like to get one for my GT which would be super useful on this project. Anyone know where to find one?

QUESTION #3; Who do you suggest I order from? I need a bunch of parts that are not accessories like listed online at scooterwestdotcom. Although I'll likely buy crash-bars and other accessories from them.
There's politics here in the Vespa retail scene going on and I want to shop elsewhere. I might order through a Vespa dealer out of town/province or maybe through CSC (national distributer) directly, but I know I've saved a lot of cash ordering stuff from the USA, even with duties and shipping.

Any other suggestions, especially hints regarding painting would be appreciated.
Ossessionato
One of each
Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:49 pm quote
Re: Painting body and bent fork.
no cattle wrote:
I've been taking my time with this project as it hurts my back. Not so much the bending over as the getting back up afterwards.
Back probs?
http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/topic7398.html

Painting stuff for us avaerage folks, who are only going to do a few projects ever- they have fairly good destructions too.
http://www.eastwoodco.com/
Molto Verboso
2005 ET2 70cc, 14 mirrors, 2 headlights, lots of LEDs and a 2005 GT200 restored after a crash, 1978 SIL Lambretta GP200 and a 1983 Cushman Truckster
Wed May 02, 2007 8:00 am quote
Thanks mate,

Yeah a work table would be excellent. Might be a project to complete before I finish this one.

I'm going to post some pictures pretty soon.
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
[ Time: 0.1230s ][ Queries: 26 (0.0272s) ][ Debug on ]