Kluncky take off
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Addicted
MP3 500 'JAZZ' & SYM RV250
Sat May 26, 2012 10:26 am quote
I changed my belt last week and noticed a few odd things. I also installed Dr. Pully sliders and the Fuzzy washer, so I don't know if this problem is part of what was done?

My take off used to be very smooth with very little rattle, shake or shimmy. Now my takeoff is noisy and feels rather kluncky like it is having trouble getting off the line. Is this a feature of either the sliders or the washer?

I do notice that I do pick up speed easier, I like that, but that noise and feeling at throttle up is new and kind of unwelcome.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK
Sat May 26, 2012 10:34 am quote
Re: Kluncky take off
mvtroiano wrote:
I changed my belt last week and noticed a few odd things. I also installed Dr. Pully sliders and the Fuzzy washer, so I don't know if this problem is part of what was done?

My take off used to be very smooth with very little rattle, shake or shimmy. Now my takeoff is noisy and feels rather kluncky like it is having trouble getting off the line. Is this a feature of either the sliders or the washer?

I do notice that I do pick up speed easier, I like that, but that noise and feeling at throttle up is new and kind of unwelcome.
need to inspect the belt and everything , you might not have got the vari on right and something loosened up on you.
Molto Verboso
Honda CTX 700D, MP3 400ie
Sat May 26, 2012 3:51 pm quote
Or washers in the wrong place.
Molto Verboso
Red Mp 3 500
Sat May 26, 2012 5:24 pm quote
Mine was just the opposite, It was shake rattle and roll on take offs, one or two up. Now after Dr pulley sliders and fuzzy washer its smooth either way, one or two up. I think some one may have did something wrong. No offence, I've made mistakes on jobs that I had been doing for 40 years. And had to redo em.
Addicted
Sun May 27, 2012 3:22 pm quote
I just ordered the variator holder, and I'll let you know if using that makes the difference. I checked Joe's pictures and it looks like I have the washers on right. Fuzzy did say that his washer goes on in addition to the washer between the variator plates.
Molto Verboso
Sun May 27, 2012 3:32 pm quote
Did you get the belt deep enough into the clutch pulley so that the belt was loose when the front plate was torqued up?

One other thing, be certain the two external washers behind the nut are in the right sequence. The "Bellville" washer (the thick one with a slight dish on one face) is placed against the thinner one which is against the outside of the front variator pulley. Very important.
Addicted
Sun May 27, 2012 5:01 pm quote
I drove my scoot to work all last week, so the belt should be set. I will check the order of the washers once I get the variator holder later this week. So basically it is: outside pully plate, thin washer, thick washer, then final nut?

BTW guys, thanks for your help and support
Molto Verboso
Sun May 27, 2012 5:50 pm quote
It is VERY important that the belt be a loose fit in the Variator pulley until you have it fully torqued. I normally have the belt at least half way into the clutch pulley. It is at least as important as the washer order.
Molto Verboso
NC700XD
Sun May 27, 2012 7:39 pm quote
ponydrvr wrote:
It is VERY important that the belt be a loose fit in the Variator pulley until you have it fully torqued. I normally have the belt at least half way into the clutch pulley. It is at least as important as the washer order.
+1

If you reinstalled and the belt was not seated in the clutch pulley, then you've potentially been riding around with a loosened assembly. This can cause some pretty bad damage if left unchecked. I wouldn't wait till next week if you plan on riding it between then and now.
Addicted
Sun May 27, 2012 8:22 pm quote
Cagedodger wrote:
ponydrvr wrote:
+1

If you reinstalled and the belt was not seated in the clutch pulley, then you've potentially been riding around with a loosened assembly. This can cause some pretty bad damage if left unchecked. I wouldn't wait till next week if you plan on riding it between then and now.
It is now sitting awaiting the variator tool. I'll be using the RV 250 until things can get done properly.
Molto Verboso
NC700XD
Sun May 27, 2012 9:16 pm quote
mvtroiano wrote:
It is now sitting awaiting the variator tool. I'll be using the RV 250 until things can get done properly.
Good call!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD
Tue May 29, 2012 1:57 am quote
You are correct on the extra washer.

One common mistake not mentioned is getting the Dr Pulleys in upside down. Check they are in correctly. Some pictures here somewhere.
Addicted
Thu May 31, 2012 8:42 pm quote
I got my variator holder via UPS at 7:00 tonight and redid the entire variator. I did have 2 sliders in backwards ;( I tightened and torqued everything down and took it out for a spin in our lovely 92 degree evening air. I don't know if it's the new belt, or the sliders, or a combo of the two, but it rode like butter!

No clunks with smooth acceleration and what felt like a much lighter idle. Not too bad for a first time project. But I would advise getting that tool if you want to do the job yourself!

Many thanks goes out the the roaming gnomes of this magical forum!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK
Thu May 31, 2012 9:01 pm quote
mvtroiano wrote:
I got my variator holder via UPS at 7:00 tonight and redid the entire variator. I did have 2 sliders in backwards ;( I tightened and torqued everything down and took it out for a spin in our lovely 92 degree evening air. I don't know if it's the new belt, or the sliders, or a combo of the two, but it rode like butter!

No clunks with smooth acceleration and what felt like a much lighter idle. Not too bad for a first time project. But I would advise getting that tool if you want to do the job yourself!

Many thanks goes out the the roaming gnomes of this magical forum!
great that you got it sorted.
Addicted
Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:30 pm quote
I have been changing my belts at the suggested 6,000 mile mark. How long have other 500's gone on with their belts?
Molto Verboso
2009 MP3 400
Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:30 am quote
Relevant thread:

Belt Life Test --- PICURES ADDED
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   Maroon Powersports LLC DBA Scooter Centrale   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.4783s ][ Queries: 32 (0.3271s) ][ Debug on ]