Fall Gathering sept 20-24 Vogel St park, GA
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion Previous12345678Next
Veni, Vidi, Posti
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD
Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:54 pm quote
stickyfrog wrote:
Funk we wouldn't be crossing your path until where 19 and 129 meet which is about 12 miles away from Vogel. Looks like an interesting 12 miles though.
Might say that. It is where the ride up Blood Mountain starts.
Hooked
Vespa 250gts
Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:35 pm quote
The Hazlehurst meet up sounds right.
I've got friends in Baxley (about 16 miles away) and can stay over Wed and meet you Thurs am. I lived in Hazlehurst way back in a prior life!
Hooked
Vespa 250gts
Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:39 pm quote
Thanks for the directions, Fuzzy.
That's the route that looks most direct to me. I've driven to Athens that way, past that will be nre.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD
Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:45 am quote
Re: Thanks for the directions, Fuzzy.
groovymom wrote:
That's the route that looks most direct to me. I've driven to Athens that way, past that will be nre.
I like this plan as I can probably meet up with you guys in Eatonton and ride the rest of the way together.

Lots of time to work details. I usually take a westerly route from Eatonton through Social Circle, Gainesville, Dahlonega and on to the Park. Same miles but more back roads. Timing might work for lunch at the Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle, one of America's top ten all you can eat restaurants. http://www.bluewillowinn.com/

Route from Hazelhurst could look like this: http://goo.gl/maps/uMuw 160 miles from Hazelhurst to lunch stop then 98 miles on to Vogel.

Funky, this is not much out of the way for you. Social Circle is about 50 miles east of downtown Atlanta and you could meet us for lunch.

If we eat lunch at Blue Willow we need to remember to adjust our shocks up a notch after.
Molto Verboso
MP3 500
Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:01 am quote
Sounds good.

My plans to date. Subject to change.

Leave Arlington, Texas (Metroplex) the morning of Monday (17) ride to Minden LA (parents lived there when I was in the 6th & 7th grade). Even met up with a school mate on my Jackson MS trip, spend the night.

Leave Minden Tuesday spend the night in Meridian, then Wednesday spend the night in Atlanta which would put me about 3 hours away from Vogel.

So it is feasible that I could sleep in some on Thursday morning and meet with ya'll for Lunch in Social Circle.

I think it was that last part of the ride from Atlanta to Vogel that was really unknown territory. Even tho I have an GPS, doesn't mean they are always right. Even tho I'll update the GPS software before I leave.

But meeting up with other MP3 riders going that last part of the ride, I'll feel a little bit more relaxed. And it will be good to have someone leading that knows where they heck we are going, even tho I would occasionally look at my GPS.

Yeah, I'll meet up with ya'll. (you all) ... just in case you didn't understand Texas slang. LoL

Thx

FM
Molto Verboso
MP3 500
Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:33 am quote
Fuzzy ... about adjusting shocks. You saying you will add that much more weight to your scoot, after eating.

Cause that must be some really good food, there.

I will already be loaded, you mean I could eat that much? I'd rather bring ziplock bags, then.

LoL

(NOTE: everyone seems to "name" their scoots ... I just named mine "Funky" ....

FM
Hooked
Vespa 250gts
Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:28 pm quote
Woo Hoo!
Sounds like we've got ourselves "a Convoy." Come back, good buddy.
Molto Verboso
MP3 500
Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:51 pm quote
Dubs on the Rocking Chair.
Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 (sold) MP3 500 (current)
Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:49 am quote
Fuzzy wrote:
groovymom wrote:
I like this plan as I can probably meet up with you guys in Eatonton and ride the rest of the way together.

Lots of time to work details. I usually take a westerly route from Eatonton through Social Circle, Gainesville, Dahlonega and on to the Park. Same miles but more back roads. Timing might work for lunch at the Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle, one of America's top ten all you can eat restaurants. http://www.bluewillowinn.com/

Route from Hazelhurst could look like this: http://goo.gl/maps/uMuw 160 miles from Hazelhurst to lunch stop then 98 miles on to Vogel.

Funky, this is not much out of the way for you. Social Circle is about 50 miles east of downtown Atlanta and you could meet us for lunch.

If we eat lunch at Blue Willow we need to remember to adjust our shocks up a notch after.
LOL Convoy!

Yeah sounds good, but don't we hit Millegeville before Eatonton? You must be coming from somewhere else?

So it looks like it is 127 miles from Hazelhurst to Eatonton. Google says 2.5 hours so maybe 3hrs if we have one stop on the way. If we are on the road by 8 then we should hit Eatonton at a good time and then cruise on up to Social Circle choke and puke, and throw some groceries down our necks. 10-4!

See what I did there?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:47 am quote
stickyfrog wrote:
Yeah sounds good, but don't we hit Millegeville before Eatonton? You must be coming from somewhere else?
You must have spent some time studying the map.

My house is on the border of Baldwin County (Milledgeville) and Putnam County (Eatonton) and about 10 mile ride west of 441. The land I see behind mine is in the other county so I live between the towns.

Milledgeville is famous for the world's largest asylum. Eatonton is famous for Brer Rabbit. Which town would you rather stop and spend some time in?

BTW when you see the sign that says welcome to Putnam County don't think you made a wrong turn and went back home.
Moderatus Rana
Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:34 pm quote
I'll take Brer Rabbit
Didn't even know there was a Putnam in GA. So which are you officially in?
Moderatus Rana
Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:49 pm quote
Re: I'll take Brer Rabbit
stickyfrog wrote:
Didn't even know there was a Putnam in GA. So which are you officially in?
So there will be at least 4 of us meeting up for lunch then. Anybody else close to the southern route? Anyone heard from LM15 lately? I just pm'd him.
Hooked
Honda NC700XD; Piaggio BV250ie
Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:32 pm quote
Yes that would be great to get a GA-FL group to ride up. Thanks for the pm and count me in.

I could meet Sticky at his departure point/hour and start out then.
Molto Verboso
MP3 500
Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:11 pm quote
LM15 wrote:
Yes that would be great to get a GA-FL group to ride up. Thanks for the pm and count me in.
GA-FL-TX group ride from Social Circle up to Vogel.

Sticky - "Choke and Puke" long time since I saw or heard that slang. Thanks for bringing back some good memories.

I still would like the "rocking chair" as I've only been on one other group ride and that was a disaster. I was with other experienced riders and I was only 5 weeks into owning my MP3.

Wait a sec. I've been on other group rides, but those were with scooters that were not very speedy. I stayed in the back cause if they ever got ahead of me, I could easily catch up. So I need more experience with riding group.

ok, looking forward to this Gathering.

Ed (FM)
Molto Verboso
Piaggio MP3 500
Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:39 pm quote
Tee hee, talked to my boss today and I am tentatively okay to be off Monday and Friday. Hooray!
Molto Verboso
MP3 500
Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:34 pm quote
Good ... it will be nice to see you again since the last time I saw you was between Moody and Abilene Texas. Actually I saw you at a distance from the rear. You were way ahead of me. LoL
Molto Verboso
2012 BV 350, 2013 BMW C650 GT, 2015 Indian Chieftain
Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:39 am quote
Hog interest
Anyone mind if I invite a Hog rider to join us? Buddy of mine heard about our trip and expressed an interest.

He's a good guy, just misguided on choice of ride.

I told him he might have to put his rackety assed bike at the rear and that he'd have to keep up with us. And be good natured about taking a ribbing.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:50 am quote
Re: Hog interest
TN_Sooner wrote:
Anyone mind if I invite a Hog rider to join us? Buddy of mine heard about our trip and expressed an interest.

I told him he might have to put his rackety assed bike at the rear and that he'd have to keep up with us. And be good natured about taking a ribbing.
Bring him. Always good to have someone to make fun of.
Hooked
Vespa 250gts
Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:07 pm quote
Someone else to pick on!
I won't be the only 2 wheeler there! Yeah!
Moderatus Rana
Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:42 pm quote
Re: Hog interest
TN_Sooner wrote:

I don't mind. Though we will have to put him up front behind the leader.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:02 am quote
Pre Ride
OAD and I are considering a pre-ride this coming weekend (Aug 3-5) to check out the rest of the routes, primarily the Sunday one over to Highlands. If available we will rent an efficiency cabin "bunkhouse" at the airport in Suches. If not available probably camping at Vogel.
Molto Verboso
Piaggio MP3 500
Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:56 am quote
I'll be up there painting - I will see if I can find somewhere to park the bike tomorrrow when we close. The driveway is abominable and I could get in, but I'm not sure that I can get it out. In any case we could meet you for dinner one night.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:03 am quote
GeorgiaGirl wrote:
I'll be up there painting - I will see if I can find somewhere to park the bike tomorrrow when we close. The driveway is abominable and I could get in, but I'm not sure that I can get it out. In any case we could meet you for dinner one night.
I heard the Italian restraunt in Downtown Dahlonega is good.
Molto Verboso
Piaggio MP3 500
Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:22 am quote
Caruso's was good, Shenaninigan's is good (Irish pub). Give me a yell when you all get settled.
Molto Verboso
Red Mp 3 500
Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:44 pm quote
As it stands now, it looks like Sandy and I are coming. May not go on all the long drive this time. But we can cut that ride short and not hold anyone up this time. All I need is a map and I will find my way.
That way who ever is ridding sweep would not have to worry about the slower ones. There may be a short cut we could take and still meet up for lunch on the long drive, Seems I remember looking at the route and thinking that we could cut across at some point. Have to look at it again. And then again we may be up to the whole length, not sure about that tho. At 30 to 40mph even 200 miles is a long day for us. We are looking forward to meet all of you again, along with some new ones. We enjoyed the last time, even tho we did not ride a whole lot. Perhaps there are some that would like to take a shorter ride with more stops to take pictures and such. We could work that out later.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:31 pm quote
sanogeo1 wrote:
As it stands now, it looks like Sandy and I are coming. May not go on all the long drive this time. But we can cut that ride short and not hold anyone up this time. All I need is a map and I will find my way.
That way who ever is ridding sweep would not have to worry about the slower ones. There may be a short cut we could take and still meet up for lunch on the long drive, Seems I remember looking at the route and thinking that we could cut across at some point. Have to look at it again. And then again we may be up to the whole length, not sure about that tho. At 30 to 40mph even 200 miles is a long day for us. We are looking forward to meet all of you again, along with some new ones. We enjoyed the last time, even tho we did not ride a whole lot. Perhaps there are some that would like to take a shorter ride with more stops to take pictures and such. We could work that out later.
There are definitely options we can work out together. There are plenty of options. I'll try to remember to bring extra maps, and if you have the opportunity grab a Georgia and or Tennessee map when you pass the border station. You can also print the details of the Google Maps in a post above. Have not yet finalized the Sunday ride so will repost that one after we check it out.

Two comments for everyone.

1: As a group ride we will try to set a pace everyone can feel comfortable with.

2: Friday will be a full day with a lot of miles and much of it technical. Unfortunately we don't get a warm-up day first to help people get used to the type of riding as we don't want to go to the Dragon on a Saturday arriving mid-day when it is crowded enough to be dangerous.
Molto Verboso
2007 Piaggio MP3 250 (sold) and 2009 MP3 400
Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:17 pm quote
I am envious that I cannot be there with everyone. You guys be safe. Sounds like you are all gonna have a fantastic time again!
Molto Verboso
Piaggio MP3 500
Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:31 pm quote
Sangeo - Amicalola Falls, Dahlonega, and Helen are all right there within 30-45 minutes of the park with lovely curvy rides between the cute little towns. There are any number of wineries and the apple orchards between Dahlonega and Ellijay will be in full harvest mode then. There is a HUGE outlet mall in Dawsonville if Sandy has a desire to shop. Plenty to do and plenty to see .
Molto Verboso
MP3 500
Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:40 pm quote
OAD and Fuzzy - thanks for all the riding and mapping and logging miles that you two have enjoyed doing prior to all of the other riders showing up at this Fall Gathering.

Much appreciated. Look forward to meeting up with everyone. And making new friends, I've met here on the forum.

Thanks.

FM
Moderatus Rana
Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:15 pm quote
sanogeo1 wrote:
Great to hear this! Sure is looking up to being another great gathering.
Molto Verboso
Red Mp 3 500
Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:42 pm quote
Now you guys are talking our style of riding. 60-70 mile in morning with a couple of hours down time then another 60-70 miles back. 5 to 6 hours total. Thanks for the information. GeorgiaGirl, Sandy and I love the quaint tourist towns. We wished we had more time to check out Blowing Rock, so if there are towns like that one I know we would have a good time. She wants to stay longer in that part of the U.S. this trip, So there may be some that live close enough to ride with us on another day. Or we could move to another area.
Molto Verboso
Piaggio MP3 500
Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:28 am quote
As soon as I get off the phone with the insurance I am going to Dahlonega to close on a house where my daughter and I will live. That time of year, I'll be in Chattanooga during the week for work, but up in the mtns. on the weekend, at least for next year. Goose will be there all of the time.
Ossessionato
R.I.P. ----K.I.T.T.500, Agent Orange (400)
Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:31 am quote
Re: The Hazlehurst meet up sounds right.
groovymom wrote:
I've got friends in Baxley (about 16 miles away) and can stay over Wed and meet you Thurs am. I lived in Hazlehurst way back in a prior life!
Wow...didn't know Hazlehurst was in the ride lineup at all. I'll have to check the total ride paths here when I get some free time. My dad lives in Hazlehurst and he'd kill me if I didn't stop in and see him. I could kill two birds with one mp3. Groovymom, if you lived in Hazlehurst, there is no doubt my dad either knows you, is related to you, or both.
Ossessionato
2009 MP3 500 - The Iridescent Chameleon, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125, 2016 Indian Scout Sixty
Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:35 am quote
GeorgiaGirl wrote:
As soon as I get off the phone with the insurance I am going to Dahlonega to close on a house where my daughter and I will live. That time of year, I'll be in Chattanooga during the week for work, but up in the mtns. on the weekend, at least for next year. Goose will be there all of the time.
So, Goose won't be getting the whole college + dorm experience, then? Congrats on buying the 2nd home anyway
Moderatus Rana
Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:26 am quote
Re: The Hazlehurst meet up sounds right.
luthorhuss wrote:
groovymom wrote:
Wow...didn't know Hazlehurst was in the ride lineup at all. I'll have to check the total ride paths here when I get some free time. My dad lives in Hazlehurst and he'd kill me if I didn't stop in and see him. I could kill two birds with one mp3. Groovymom, if you lived in Hazlehurst, there is no doubt my dad either knows you, is related to you, or both.
None of the rides scheduled go through Hazlehurst. That is where Me and LM15 will meet up with groovymom on Thursday morning. Then we will head up to Social Circle to meet up with Fuzzy and Funky for lunch. Then the 5 of us will continue to Vogel. Anybody else want to join the convoy?
Ossessionato
R.I.P. ----K.I.T.T.500, Agent Orange (400)
Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:02 am quote
stickyfrog wrote:
luthorhuss wrote:
groovymom wrote:
None of the rides scheduled go through Hazlehurst. That is where Me and LM15 will meet up with groovymom on Thursday morning. Then we will head up to Social Circle to meet up with Fuzzy and Funky for lunch. Then the 5 of us will continue to Vogel. Anybody else want to join the convoy?
Yeah was just thinking that I could hit my dads and meet you that morning. We could make it a ride! Lol...fuzzy knows how "scenic" hazelhurst and baxley are
Molto Verboso
Piaggio MP3 500
Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:20 am quote
CubsKing99 wrote:
So, Goose won't be getting the whole college + dorm experience, then? Congrats on buying the 2nd home anyway
Much to her relief. She *hates*, I mean really, truly *loathes* sharing a room, even just for short periods of time like vacations and camp. And the thought of having to live all the time in a building full of people she didn't know made her break out in hives. She likes all of you guys and isn't so shy with you - but she is her daddy's girl as well, and the thought of having to be social every day during the school year made her waaaaaayyyyyyyy unhappy. House is 11 minutes from campus so she should be good.
Molto Verboso
MP3 500
Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:13 am quote
GG ... is sleeping is a problem with you.

Just how much sleep did you get while you were cannonballing across the southern part of the USA?
Molto Verboso
MP3 500
Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:44 am quote
Fuzzy wrote:
Two comments for everyone.

1: As a group ride we will try to set a pace everyone can feel comfortable with.

2: Friday will be a full day with a lot of miles and much of it technical. Unfortunately we don't get a warm-up day first to help people get used to the type of riding as we don't want to go to the Dragon on a Saturday arriving mid-day when it is crowded enough to be dangerous.
About this ... "we don't get a warm-up day..."

What kind of "technical" stuff are we getting into?

And since we are riding from Social Circle to Vogel on Thursday. Will we be riding into any type of "technical" stuff then?

Cause you gotta remember something, Texas isn't so twisty ... about as twisty as it gets I guess is when PapaBear let me follow him to Leakey Tx

and then he said "FM, you lead. Go at your own pace." My question to him then was ... you sure you wanted to make it back home this afternoon? Cause if I can't see around a curve, I'm not sure just how fast I feel comfortable taking it.

I think the 3 twisted sisters is the Texas version of what you call the Dragon's Tail. But as a tamer ride.

So this ride to Vogel from Social Circle, will we get a feel of any "Technical" stuff?

Cause that will be my feel for riding technical warm up. Then someone may need to tell me if I need more practice.

Thx

FM
Molto Verboso
2012 BV 350, 2013 BMW C650 GT, 2015 Indian Chieftain
Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:08 pm quote
For Funky
Yes, there will be some "technical" riding, including the dragon, I think. However, you should not be intimidated by this - look at it as a learning experience with a group of riders. The experience levels will run from pros to eager novices, which best describes me a couple of years ago at my first gathering.

This will be a great learning opportunity for you - plant your butt behind fuzzy or OAD or Pony and watch their lines and follow. We'll pace to the ability of the slowest rider, as long as that isn't too slow. If too slow, you'll get a ton of pointers and some private time to learn.

I suggest you find the "Ride like a Pro DVD" and go through it and the exercises and you'll be fine. See you in GA.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion Previous12345678Next
[ Time: 0.1409s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0747s) ][ Debug on ]