Fall Gathering sept 20-24 Vogel St park, GA
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion Previous12345678Next
Molto Verboso
2007 Piaggio MP3 250 (sold) and 2009 MP3 400
Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:39 pm quote
I rode the dragon at the spring gathering with OAD and a few others, the Devils Whip, the Snake and Diamond back too. Never at any time did I feel like I was bing pressured to go faster, or to take turns blindly.
I tried to plant myself behind OAD most of the time so I could watch him.
They truly watch out for everyone, and you WILL learn some riding techniques!
Ossessionato
R.I.P. ----K.I.T.T.500, Agent Orange (400)
Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:08 pm quote
hollybry wrote:
Like how to ride with a cig hanging out your mouth while scraping on turns
Molto Verboso
2007 Piaggio MP3 250 (sold) and 2009 MP3 400
Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:24 pm quote
luthorhuss wrote:
hollybry wrote:

And how to be almost completely turned around in the seat to make sure everyone is still following while negotiating a turn at the same time.
I have no idea how OAD does that, but it is fascinating!
Ossessionato
2009 MP3 500 - The Iridescent Chameleon, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125, 2016 Indian Scout Sixty
Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:36 pm quote
hollybry wrote:
luthorhuss wrote:
hollybry wrote:

And how to be almost completely turned around in the seat to make sure everyone is still following while negotiating a turn at the same time.
Not just completely turned around, but slid off to the side and only have one cheek on the seat...
Molto Verboso
MP3 500
Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:16 pm quote
well that sounds fun.

just didn't want to slow everyone down. If someone or more than one is in front of me, I'll just follow them. 2-3 seconds behind.

I'll be fine ... a new experience added to the fun of the ride. I have proficiency motorcycle that I've read about 3 times. First time through it was like reading Greek, cause I had yet to get the MP3. After I got the MP3, reading it made a lot more sense.

OK .............................................................. I am ready for this!!!

FM
Molto Verboso
MP3 500
Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:21 am quote
luthorhuss wrote:
hollybry wrote:
LoL ... Luthor ... I cold turkey'd in 1973, haven't smoked since.
Molto Verboso
MP3 500
Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:22 am quote
hollybry wrote:
luthorhuss wrote:
hollybry wrote:

would be easier on a sharp corner (I guess).
Molto Verboso
Red Mp 3 500
Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:51 am quote
I've rode close to that area in the mountains. Forget about the sisters. Apples and oranges. Thank a blind curve ever 100 to 300 ft. Midway thru a lot of those curves you still cannot see around em. And that's going uphill, down hill, sideways all on the same curve Don't ask me about the scenery, Damn yellow lines look the same no matter where you are. That's about all you are looking at the first hundred miles. Mount one of those cameras on your head, that way you can see what the scenery looks like later.

All kidding aside, you should love it. And you will have to pay more attention than what you are used to. Take your time and don't worry about staying up. They will not run off and leave you. Some of them will pull ahead. Ride your own ride. Someone will ride sweep that knows the way and will get you where you need to be. I like to take my own time and have never been lost in my life. Covered 42 state when I drove a 18 wheeler in my youth. Knock on wood
Addicted
MP3 500 (no - longer); now an old guy on a Goldwing
Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:07 pm quote
True. We always have a sweeper that will make sure everyone is taken care of. There are a few runs that some riders like to take in a more spirited fashion, but they often go back and do those rides a second time (or third). For example, since the dragon is only 11 miles, we often stop at deals gap and do a few runs so everyone can do it at their pace.

OAD and fuzzy also do a good job positioning the riders less experienced on twisties directly behind the leader. This allows the pace to be set so we don't create any sling shot effects that could cause some to try to ride beyond their skill level.
Molto Verboso
Red Mp 3 500
Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:42 pm quote
That someone being me, I ran off the road on a curve. So did someone else that shall not be mentioned. I came out alright other than a case of nerves. Other guy. Amazing what you can do with duct tape.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD
Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:55 pm quote
To Dragon or not To Dragon
OAD PonyDriver and I spent the last 2 days checking out more of the rides. We had some long discussions with a couple bottles of wine as to whether we should do the Dragon this gathering. It will be a loooooong day if we do it. We may be taking on too much in one day for riders new to the mountains.

Roads closer to Vogel are great and the only thing they lack compared to the Dragon is PR.

Bottom line will anyone traveling a distance to the gathering be upset if it does not include a ride of the dragon?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD
Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:57 pm quote
Ride Rules
A lot of questions the last couple days about experience. The primary goal of gatherings is fellowship and meeting fellow MV members. One of the other goals of the Gatherings is to introduce people to the joys of Mountain Riding. We will leave no one behind.

Perhaps our ride guidelines will help. I have copied this from the Little Switzerland Gathering thread. We will review them prior to ride for understang.

RIDE RULES
Goal #1 is everyoneísí safety.

Goal #2 is to have a good time.

Expectation - No "Scooter Time". We will use Eastern Daylight Savings Time and leave on time.

1. Ride your own ride. We will be on twisty mountain roads. Do not feel you have to keep up with someone else. Do not ride at a pace faster than YOU are comfortable with. There is nothing on this ride a rider with little experience canít do safely at their own pace. The second best rider in the group would likely have an accident if trying to keep up with O.A.D. if he is going all out.

2. Either Doug or Rick will be in the lead the majority of the time. Depending on group size we may split into two groups each with a lead and trail.

3. Keep the person behind you in site. If someone needs a slower pace (see #1) or has trouble we do not want to leave them behind. From the front typically only a couple others are in view so we must all be looking out for the one behind as well as watching the road.

4. If you need to stop turn on your emergency blinkers. If you see emergency blinkers on behind you turn on yours to get the signal for need to stop to the lead rider.

5. We will specify meeting points if we get separated. If you have a cell phone and are separated contact either Doug or Rick by phone. Leave a message if not picked up. Unfortunately much of the time we will be out of cell coverage.

6. Let faster riders pass. If overtaken by others drop back to make some room in front of you, pull to the right side of the lane and when safe wave them around. Donít copy the Harley riders as road hogs.

7. When on straight section of road (not often but there is a little) ride a staggered formation. First bike to the left of lane, Next 1 second back to the right, third bike to left one second back. This puts the bike 2 seconds behind one directly in front and 1 second from bike staggered to the other side of lane.

8. At intersections double up to go through stop sign or stop light 2 at a time.

9. Do not break the law trying to stay together at intersections. Donít run lights or stop signs. If we are split up then following #3 will help the leader know to slow down and wait for rest of group to catch up.

10. At some locations we may split up the group to let riders challenge themselves. Preferably at least have a partner to look out for each other and gather at the next meeting place

11. If wanting to split from the group for a personal side trip or shorter ride make sure ride leaders know so we donít waste time looking for you when we realize you are gone.

12. The least experienced riders should be right behind the lead rider.
Molto Verboso
Piaggio MP3 500
Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:08 pm quote
Don't worry - it all works pretty well. A couple of Gatherings ago (at the Jack Daniels) ago we had a rider take a pretty good spill. I was second or third in the running and when I lost my neighbor behind me I slowed down, and Rick realized he had lost me pretty quickly - bottom line, first real pullover past the spill we were pulled over. And speaking as someone who was long the slowest rider in the pack, they are gracious and helpful - no one EVER makes you feel bad for being on the learning curve .
Molto Verboso
Red Mp 3 500
Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:21 pm quote
Rick, You know where we stand on riding that far. It won't hurt my feelings if you guys ride that far without us. We will take a shorter ride 100-150 miles is fine for the day.
Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 (sold) MP3 500 (current)
Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:12 pm quote
In answer to your question about Deals Gap Fuzzy nope I have ridden it and it was fun but I won't be crushed not going again. It is kind of a hike from where we are staying. So no worrys from me.

On the rules Fuzzy reposted I have a comment and a question for clarification.
Quote:
3. Keep the person behind you in site. If someone needs a slower pace (see #1) or has trouble we do not want to leave them behind. From the front typically only a couple others are in view so we must all be looking out for the one behind as well as watching the road.
This is one I think we don't sometimes do a good job with. We always put the less experienced mountain riders up front (I am usually up there somewhere) and on occasion I have noticed some riders forgetting this rule. Remember the leader has no idea if the pace has slowed if the few bikes behind him are still in site. It is never a matter of trying to keep up on these rides but a matter of having an enjoyable group ride and learning what mountain riding is all about.
Quote:
6. Let faster riders pass. If overtaken by others drop back to make some room in front of you, pull to the right side of the lane and when safe wave them around. Donít copy the Harley riders as road hogs.
I think I know the answer but I will ask for clarification. Does this mean let faster riders in our group go by or other riders, not in our group that are trying to get past out group?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:06 pm quote
stickyfrog wrote:
In answer to your question about Deals Gap Fuzzy nope I have ridden it and it was fun but I won't be crushed not going again. It is kind of a hike from where we are staying. So no worrys from me.

On the rules Fuzzy reposted I have a comment and a question for clarification.
Quote:
This is one I think we don't sometimes do a good job with. We always put the less experienced mountain riders up front (I am usually up there somewhere) and on occasion I have noticed some riders forgetting this rule. Remember the leader has no idea if the pace has slowed if the few bikes behind him are still in site. It is never a matter of trying to keep up on these rides but a matter of having an enjoyable group ride and learning what mountain riding is all about.
Quote:
I think I know the answer but I will ask for clarification. Does this mean let faster riders in our group go by or other riders, not in our group that are trying to get past out group?
this is only when other riders that are not in our group are trying to pass our group. IE a couple of sport bikes riders for example. for our riders in our group don't fret about some other riders wanting to pass you. ride your line and your pace. If your in a safe spot to slightly move and ride to the right side of the lane and let a faster rider not in our group go by, that is fine. but our safety comes first at all times for each and everyone in our group.

hope this helps clarify
Molto Verboso
MP3 500
Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:37 pm quote
would that be like some faster riders coming up on our group?

wouldn't you all pull over riding single file so those faster riders can get around us and we go back to riding within our group, staggered?
Moderatus Rana
Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:04 am quote
If faster bikes come along it is up to each person to determine when it is safe to wave the faster bike by. It would be impossible in the twistys to coordinate everyone pulling over and slowing at the same time.

When we are staggered we are more like an automobile. Since this is on straighter fast stretches and in towns we don't pull to the side but you may have to make room in front of you if the passing bike (or car) needs to get over.
Molto Verboso
2012 BV 350, 2013 BMW C650 GT, 2015 Indian Chieftain
Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:23 am quote
No Dragon - okay with me
Just weighing in that I don't mind if we don't do the dragon. I'm probably going to head to tellico and the Cherohala/ dragon for a couple of days soon.
Ossessionato
2016 MP3/500 Sport ABS, 2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:24 am quote
stickyfrog wrote:
If faster bikes come along it is up to each person to determine when it is safe to wave the faster bike by. It would be impossible in the twistys to coordinate everyone pulling over and slowing at the same time.

When we are staggered we are more like an automobile. Since this is on straighter fast stretches and in towns we don't pull to the side but you may have to make room in front of you if the passing bike (or car) needs to get over.
I ride often the North Georgia tracks from Riders Hill as starting point, with groups of bikes. We typically have a mix of 125cc to 500cc, and we often put the slower riders to the front behind the lead bike, and the most experience and faster to the rear.

The caboose is typically two bikes that will stop and stay behind if there is a break down, and know the route if separated from the lead bike. When possible the lead bike and the rear bikes have Bluetooth Helmets for communication if something goes wrong to let the lead bike know there are problems in the rear. Keep in mind some of our rides have had as many as 50 bikes.

It works out well for everyone as we are not doing this for speed, just enjoying the ride and the view. We typically stop at the Waterfalls for a break.

I would like to suggest you invite Alan Hearnshaw, he knows these tracks very well and lives near Helen. He rides a BMW Sport bike, but also has a Vespa GTV. We typically ask him to lead as he has taken us on some gorgeous routes, and considered an expert rider as he has written books on biker safety, and has a website as well. Not sure if any of you know him.

Thanks,
Keith
Marietta, GA
Moderatus Rana
Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:01 am quote
Yes we put the slower and less experienced bikes towards the front too. I was mainly referring to bikes not part of the ride that want to pass.
Hooked
Vespa 250gts
Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:11 am quote
No problem skipping the dragon this time;
Just means we'll need to schedule it another time! Another excuse to gather.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:53 am quote
skipping the dragon and making it part of another gathering that would be closer would be much better.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:56 am quote
lets talk tires for all those coming.

please make sure you come with good tread on your tires. the Georgia roads can be abrasive on tires and they will wear them a tad bit faster than your normal roads folks ride.

please make sure you come with good tread on your tires. the Georgia roads can be abrasive on tires and they will wear them a tad bit faster than your normal roads folks ride.

Moderatus Rana
Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:30 am quote
Ok

Ok

Ok

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:32 am quote
Yesterday morning this tire had some tread left above the wear bars. OAD is a witness to that. 300 miles later, took this photo at gas stop on the way home.

Today, 60 miles after picture you can sort of tell where the wear bars used to be.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:02 am quote
I heard that old people repeat themselves.

Molto Verboso
2009 MP3 400ie, Silver- "Lorelei Lee Long"
Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:17 am quote
Good lord, what do you put in your asphalt in Georgia? Old belt-sander sheets?
Molto Verboso
Red Mp 3 500
Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:35 am quote
Old belt sander belts. Naw, The roads would be smooth then.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:10 am quote
Fuzzy wrote:

I learned from my elders

I learned from my elders

I learned from my elders

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:17 am quote
Sidecutter wrote:
Amazing thing is I average over 100,000 miles on my Michelin tires on my Honda Truck. 107,000 miles on last set.
Addicted
Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:03 pm quote
old as dirt wrote:
skipping the dragon and making it part of another gathering that would be closer would be much better.
I'll ride it a few times before the gathering for you.

Anyone else want me to ride it for them?
Addicted
Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:04 pm quote
Fuzzy wrote:
Sidecutter wrote:
Amazing thing is I average over 100,000 miles on my Michelin tires on my Honda Truck. 107,000 miles on last set.
That's because your wife drives the truck.
Molto Verboso
MP3 500
Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:09 pm quote
hmmmm ... no dragon this trip ... ok but those other loops you got picked out for us better be good ... LoL

As for tires, So far I've probably put about 2k miles on them. By the time I get home from the Gathering, I'll have close to 7k on them.

Hopefully I won't really need a tire change until ... and this time I'll be more watchfull when I order Power Pures, that I get what I ordered ... So I can't tell how Power Pures really feel on a scoot.

... then.
Ossessionato
R.I.P. ----K.I.T.T.500, Agent Orange (400)
Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:19 pm quote
Sidecutter wrote:
Yankees that don't make it out of the dragon...
Moderatus Rana
Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:07 pm quote
luthorhuss wrote:
Sidecutter wrote:
Oh wait I am a damn Yankee. But I did make it out of the Dragon.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:16 pm quote
stickyfrog wrote:
luthorhuss wrote:
Sidecutter wrote:
Oh wait I am a damn Yankee. But I did make it out of the Dragon.
Yep. A Yankee is someone from up north but a Damn Yankee is someone who comes down here and stays.

The most feared thing in the south is a Yankee with a U-Haul.
Moderatus Rana
Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:48 pm quote
But the way I figure it I have been way south of "The South" for over 20 of my 49 years so I am thinking the average puts me somewhere in NC or TN.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:50 pm quote
stickyfrog wrote:
But the way I figure it I have been way south of "The South" for over 20 of my 49 years so I am thinking the average puts me somewhere in NC or TN.
Maybe Maryland.
Moderatus Rana
Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:54 pm quote
Fuzzy wrote:
stickyfrog wrote:
Maybe Maryland.
Hmmm Maybe Virginia but no further north. Remember I was stationed in Homestead for two years. Does military count even if it was in barracks?
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   Vespa Wasp Neck Scarves   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion Previous12345678Next
[ Time: 0.1338s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0669s) ][ Debug on ]