Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:53 pm quote
stickyfrog wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
stickyfrog wrote:
luthorhuss wrote:
stickyfrog wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:
luthorhuss wrote:
Send us a picture of your 500 sitting on 3 concrete blocks with grass growing up around it and we'll bump you down to Tennessee.
Listen to him. Luthorhuss understands.
Damn! I will have to photoshop that.
You know how to use photoshop? You just bumped up to south Pennsylvania.
Damn! But I do have a pick up truck, have actual crops growing on my property, and love biscuits and gravy.
but can you make good biscuits and gravy?
Damn...damn.
I was hoping you could, so we could have some one morning
Veni, Vidi, Posti
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD
Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:34 am quote
400 For Sale
Might be a real real nice 400 for sale at the Gathering. I've seen it and you won't find a better one available.

2008 mp3 400

Might be able to score some great Chili too when checking it out.
Molto Verboso
2012 BV 350, 2013 BMW C650 GT, 2015 Indian Chieftain
Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:37 am quote
I am hoping the chili is around whether the 400 is or not...
Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 (sold) MP3 500 (current)
Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:43 am quote
So is it for sure then no Deal's Gap on Friday?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD
Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:58 am quote
stickyfrog wrote:
As no one raised a strong objection there will be no Deal's Gap or Dragon this Gathering. If someone really wants to they can come early, stay late or take a day off from the group to do it. Of course those coming from the north can do it on the way there or the way home.

Remember on previous gatherings how many said the best part of the Dragon ride was Moonshiner 28 getting to it, not the Dragon itself? The roads we will be on do not have the PR of the Dragon but some are just as good as it is and we will even be on part of the Moonshiner 28.

Some version of this will be Friday's ride:
http://goo.gl/maps/aOsFG

For Sunday we are looking at this route:
http://goo.gl/maps/7xRZx

If there is a rain day we will rearrange the plans for shorter ride in the rain.

Trying to find another weekend to get up there and do some more checking out options prior to the gathering. I have done all of both of these routes and lots of good roads. OAD and Pony Driver did most of the Friday ride with me a couple weeks ago.

Last edited by Fuzzy on Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Ossessionato
2016 MP3/500 Sport ABS, 2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:30 am quote
Fuzzy wrote:
stickyfrog wrote:
As no one raised a strong objection there will be no Deal's Gap or Dragon this Gathering. If someone really wants to they can come early, stay late or take a day off from the group to do it. Of course those coming from the north can do it on the way there or the way home.

Remember on previous gatherings how many said the best part of the Dragon ride was Moonshiner 28 getting to it, not the Dragon itself? The roads we will be on do not have the PR of the Dragon but some are just as good as it is and we will even be on part of the Moonshiner 28.

http://goo.gl/maps/hkq0Y

If there is a rain day we will rearrange the plans for shorter ride in the rain.

Trying to find another weekend to get up there and do some more checking out options prior to the gathering. I have done all of both of these routes and lots of good roads. OAD and Pony Driver did most of the Friday ride with me a couple weeks ago.
What's on the agenda for Saturday...
This is my only day I can ride up and join you guys, as I have to work on Sunday evening.

I am planning to leave very earl in the AM and either Trailer my MP3/250 too Riders hill, and ride over to Vogal, or just ride the whole way from Marietta.

Keith,
Marietta, GA
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:08 am quote
klaborde wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:
stickyfrog wrote:

This is my only day I can ride up and join you guys, as I have to work on Sunday evening.

I am planning to leave very earl in the AM and either Trailer my MP3/250 too Riders hill, and ride over to Vogal, or just ride the whole way from Marietta.

Keith,
Marietta, GA
Saturday is the Gauntlet in a clockwise direction. We will have breakfast at the Lodge at Coperhead about an hour into the ride.

OAD, Pony Driver and I found some improvements to the official Gauntlet so the map does not match it between the Biker Barn and Hiawassee. We will get lunch in Hiawassee, probably just fast food after the big breakfast.

http://goo.gl/maps/aEr0F

BTW I have communicated our route to the fellow who made the Gauntlet maps and the owner of Biker Barn. When they run out and print more maps, they will probably match what we are going to do. I just couldn't get excited about keeping a group together on the busy 129 towards Murphy or busy 76 from Young Haris to Hiawassee.

I corrected Sunday's ride in my post above:

Breakfast will be at "B" on the map less than an hour into the ride.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:30 am quote
Beakfast Stops
There is nowhere close to the park to get breakfast unless you bring / cook your own. Each day we have planned a stop for breakfast but they will be roughly 1 hour into the ride depending on how fast the group moves. If you need something sooner please make arrangements. to have something with you.

The cabins do have cooking facilities and at least some of us will have some coffee to share prior to ride.
Ossessionato
Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:49 am quote
Fuzzy wrote:
klaborde wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:
stickyfrog wrote:

Keith,
Marietta, GA
Saturday is the Gauntlet in a clockwise direction. We will have breakfast at the Lodge at Coperhead about an hour into the ride.

OAD, Pony Driver and I found some improvements to the official Gauntlet so the map does not match it between the Biker Barn and Hiawassee. We will get lunch in Hiawassee, probably just fast food after the big breakfast.

http://goo.gl/maps/aEr0F

BTW I have communicated our route to the fellow who made the Gauntlet maps and the owner of Biker Barn. When they run out and print more maps, they will probably match what we are going to do. I just couldn't get excited about keeping a group together on the busy 129 towards Murphy or busy 76 from Young Haris to Hiawassee.

I corrected Sunday's ride in my post above:

Breakfast will be at "B" on the map less than an hour into the ride.
Thanks...
I will be there early !
If I am not, leave without me.
Glad to have the routes to program into my GPS Software for the Garmin.
I am hoping to be up that way this Saturday on the GTS probably.

During the rides, anyone doing Spot or some tracking that logs to web?
Moderatus Rana
Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:58 am quote
Yeah a few days before I will set up an official gathering thread and ask jess to enable the map like I did last time. The map supports SPOT and geotagged pics.

Like this The Official 2012 Spring Gathering Thread
Molto Verboso
Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:51 pm quote
Taking matters into my own hands
Well, if we aren't doing the dragon, I'll just do it myself. Sitting in Telico tonight for a jaunt over the Cherahola and up through the dragon and back home tomorrow.
Molto Verboso
MP3 500
Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:06 pm quote
I was kind of disappointed that the Dragon was removed from the itinerary, but I'm use to schedules being changed at the very last moment. One reason I was going to this ... was to ride the Dragon. Since I've heard so much about it from members and how it really teaches you how to ride with the MP3.

But if the Dragon has been removed from the itinerary but something else has been introduced that is suppose to be almost just as good Mountain twisty roads .. I'm hear to learn how to ride mountainous roads.

Looks by the maps shared that there will be plenty of mountain roads to learn on. I would ride the Dragon on Monday, but I need to reevaluate how much further out of the way to the Dragon will take me from my ride to Lexington VA. Anyone know that ?

Or how I can get to Lexington VA from the Dragon the fastest way?

As far as breakfast goes, I'll probably have food up a tree, with a rope hooked to a cloth tent bag which will hold the food. I'll eat a snack. Can I get someone in a Cabin to grab a soda can for me if I give you one or two the night before?
Moderatus Rana
Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:30 am quote
Yeah don't worry you will see plenty of technical, twisty mountain roads.
Ossessionato
Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:02 am quote
FunkyMonkey wrote:
I was kind of disappointed that the Dragon was removed from the itinerary, but I'm use to schedules being changed at the very last moment. One reason I was going to this ... was to ride the Dragon. Since I've heard so much about it from members and how it really teaches you how to ride with the MP3.

But if the Dragon has been removed from the itinerary but something else has been introduced that is suppose to be almost just as good Mountain twisty roads .. I'm hear to learn how to ride mountainous roads.

Looks by the maps shared that there will be plenty of mountain roads to learn on. I would ride the Dragon on Monday, but I need to reevaluate how much further out of the way to the Dragon will take me from my ride to Lexington VA. Anyone know that ?

As far as breakfast goes, I'll probably have food up a tree, with a rope hooked to a cloth tent bag which will hold the food. I'll eat a snack. Can I get someone in a Cabin to grab a soda can for me if I give you one or two the night before?
Actually, I think the learning needs to occur before doing the Dragon...
Get your feet wet on other Twisty's first.

Check out the youtube.com video's on Tail of the Dragon, the ride is one thing, the Police are worse.
They are just waiting to nail you on a tire touching a White or Yellow line, you get ticketed. The interpretation of the law seems to change based on the mood.

Then there is the other factor of the Bikes who like to speed through the curves to attempt to get a better time from the previous pass. Not a strong fellowship at this locations compared to others where they dislike anything that resembles a a "Scooter"... The only way I would do the Dragon is with a Group.

Fuzzy has some really nice routes planned that are equally as good.

Keith,
Marietta, GA
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:52 am quote
Just turn left at the exit of Vogel park then 0.3 miles turn left on 180 "Wolf Pen Gap. It is a great ride with a couple corners tougher than any on the Dragon.

Or you can turn right out of the park and go over Neals Gap. When you get to the bottom on the other side turn around and come back. For my 80,000 miles of riding MP3s that run up the south side is my favorite ride and Squd Photo will take your picture just like Killboy at the Dragon.
Molto Verboso
MP3 500
Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:44 pm quote
????? .... What ever .... ?????

I would be interested more in where is the nearest gas station to fill up Funky for the next days ride, near Vogel State Park.

Or get eating supplies for a riders trip?
Molto Verboso
Red Mp 3 500
Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:07 pm quote
AC just went out on the house again. Just called the man to replace it. 16 years old and has been repaired several times. Bye Bye to the fall gathering I guess. This is going to cost several thousand. Damn builder put the cheapest and smallest one he could get by with in. upgrading to 3 ton unit from 2 ton. All of my neighbors have replaced theirs already, my turn. See you guys maybe next spring. Going to miss you guys.
Moderatus Rana
Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:19 pm quote
Well that just sucks. Sorry about that. Did you have reservations? Gonna miss you there but I totally understand. Stay cool...pun intended...and see you next time.
Molto Verboso
Red Mp 3 500
Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:54 pm quote
No res yet. She just went to the bank today and transfer money. Oh well. No need now. Good new is, that will go a long ways towards paying for the AC.
Molto Verboso
Piaggio MP3 500
Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:11 pm quote
We will miss you and your sweet wife . Sorry for the bad news.
Molto Verboso
Honda CTX 700D
Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:25 pm quote
Sorry to hear that George. I was really counting on riding with you this time.
Molto Verboso
MP3 500
Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:12 pm quote
klaborde wrote:
FunkyMonkey wrote:

Actually, I think the learning needs to occur before doing the Dragon...
Get your feet wet on other Twisty's first.

Check out the youtube.com video's on Tail of the Dragon, the ride is one thing, the Police are worse.
They are just waiting to nail you on a tire touching a White or Yellow line, you get ticketed. The interpretation of the law seems to change based on the mood.

Then there is the other factor of the Bikes who like to speed through the curves to attempt to get a better time from the previous pass. Not a strong fellowship at this locations compared to others where they dislike anything that resembles a a "Scooter"... The only way I would do the Dragon is with a Group.

Fuzzy has some really nice routes planned that are equally as good.

Keith,
Marietta, GA
Well as far as police handing out moving violation tickets for things like crossing the line, I just say come on ... ticket me. And the cop had better show up to traffic court, cause my attorney will meet the cop and judge as I'll be home in Arlington or wherever I might be at the time. My attorney will handle everything and keep the points off my driving record so my scoot insurance doesn't go up. I just usually pay court cost. No points reaches my driving records.

I'll skip the Dragon since the group isn't doing it. And just go to Lexington VA from Vogel. I'll learn plenty from Fuzzy, OAD, and others while riding. Learn a lot following them from Social Circle up to Vogel.

It will all work out ... FM
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:05 am quote
We will miss you Sandra and George. .

Guess i would not want to be in OK without AC

I will have to drink wine alone if everyone else bugs out early.
Molto Verboso
Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:58 am quote
Sorry George and Sandra
Hate to hear the news. However, I understand the need for ac in Oklahoma, especially this year! See you in the spring (or in the fall on certain Saturdays!)
Molto Verboso
Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:09 am quote
klaborde wrote:

I know it is a bit off topic, but I have a different view here. I've ridden the dragon three times, twice with a group and once by myself (Thursday - check killboy for some peg sharpening). I've Never seem LEO's offering much of a problem - only saw their presence once and that was on the TN side by the lake. Besides, with a speed limit of 30, you aren't going to be above that much in the actual twisties. And for my taxes, I'd prefer the LEO's challenge any rider getting over the yellow line - don't ride the dragon if you can't stay in your lane.

As for the other bikes, I avoid weekends and holidays. I have done it on Friday a couple of times and it can be crowded. However, I've never been hassled by sports bikes nor have I been treated rudely or as scooter trash. I did use a pullout to let a sport bike by - he was appreciative and waved and he had not crowded me at all. I had 3 separate hogs slow to allow me past them safely.

So, for my money, don't be afraid of the dragon, be safe, avoid weekends and it is all good.

Funky - you should easily be able to map your route from GA to VA and get the dragon done.
Molto Verboso
Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:12 am quote
Piaggio dealer in dahlonega?
Mike (at tellico outfitters) said there was a "huge piaggio dealer in dahlonega". He bought his Guzzi there. Is that so? Should we drop by and offer thanks for their continued presence? No big deal. Mike said they were open Saturday and Sunday, closed Mon/Tues.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:14 am quote
Re: Piaggio dealer in dahlonega?
TN_Sooner wrote:
Mike (at tellico outfitters) said there was a "huge piaggio dealer in dahlonega". He bought his Guzzi there. Is that so? Should we drop by and offer thanks for their continued presence? No big deal. Mike said they were open Saturday and Sunday, closed Mon/Tues.
riders hill I think.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:15 am quote
TN_Sooner wrote:
klaborde wrote:

I know it is a bit off topic, but I have a different view here. I've ridden the dragon three times, twice with a group and once by myself (Thursday - check killboy for some peg sharpening). I've Never seem LEO's offering much of a problem - only saw their presence once and that was on the TN side by the lake. Besides, with a speed limit of 30, you aren't going to be above that much in the actual twisties. And for my taxes, I'd prefer the LEO's challenge any rider getting over the yellow line - don't ride the dragon if you can't stay in your lane.

As for the other bikes, I avoid weekends and holidays. I have done it on Friday a couple of times and it can be crowded. However, I've never been hassled by sports bikes nor have I been treated rudely or as scooter trash. I did use a pullout to let a sport bike by - he was appreciative and waved and he had not crowded me at all. I had 3 separate hogs slow to allow me past them safely.

So, for my money, don't be afraid of the dragon, be safe, avoid weekends and it is all good.

Funky - you should easily be able to map your route from GA to VA and get the dragon done.
exactly my thoughts as well. I could not have wrote this any better.
Hooked
2010 MP3 250 (sold), CTX700D
Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:16 pm quote
Well....
The Lovely Wife and I have reserved a cabin. I still think it's probably 50/50 that we make it, but better to be prepared. I will execute finger crossing, at this time.

Kilo
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:33 pm quote
Re: Well....
KiloVictor wrote:
The Lovely Wife and I have reserved a cabin. I still think it's probably 50/50 that we make it, but better to be prepared. I will execute finger crossing, at this time.

Kilo
looking forward to meeting you and your wife.
Molto Verboso
Red Mp 3 500
Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:06 pm quote
TNsooner, Give a yell when you are in town. We live only 1 mile from OU. We could head out for a ride before the game when it is in the evening. Could head down to Turner falls at Davis for BBQ. Should be able to go down and back + eat in about 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Games starts around 6 in the evening. Or take a shorter ride. I guess you are going to bring your scoot. foot ball starts in two weeks you know.
Molto Verboso
Piaggio MP3 500
Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:41 pm quote
old as dirt wrote:
TN_Sooner wrote:
riders hill I think.
Riders Hill does rentals and used bikes. I haven't seen a vespa dealership at all, but they have all kinds of things up there.
Addicted
MP3 500 (no - longer); now an old guy on a Goldwing
Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:23 pm quote
GeorgiaGirl wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
TN_Sooner wrote:
riders hill I think.
Riders Hill does rentals and used bikes. I haven't seen a vespa dealership at all, but they have all kinds of things up there.
The dealer is European Motorsports and they sell Aprilia and Moto Guzzi. They are real nice and have gone well out of their way to help my son with his Mana. I need to call them to see if they can do the update for the MP3. They have the navigator from piaggio, but I don't know if they only have the aprilia updates. Last I talked with them they were going to check but I never got back to them.
Ossessionato
Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:07 am quote
kevink wrote:
GeorgiaGirl wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
TN_Sooner wrote:
riders hill I think.
The dealer is European Motorsports and they sell Aprilia and Moto Guzzi. They are real nice and have gone well out of their way to help my son with his Mana. I need to call them to see if they can do the update for the MP3. They have the navigator from piaggio, but I don't know if they only have the aprilia updates. Last I talked with them they were going to check but I never got back to them.
I was at Riders Hill this weekend...
I think I only counted 6 Scooters, and most were from trade in's and very small engines. I know they rent, probably Aprilla's as they dominate the floor.

Got Soaked at Vogel in the Twisty's and cleared in Murphy, the on 17 coming back to Helen it started again.
It really stormed.

I left Marietta at 05:30 AM when Ken Cook on Channel 5 in Atlanta gave the Weather a "10" in the North.
Ran into a team of 30 Bicycle Riders under a Tree at Vogel, and they were telling me they heard the same news, as we sat there.

My first experience being with Rain Gear and riding in Rain so hard it would sting you. But it eventually cleared up late afternoon when I returned back to Riders Hill my starting point.

Picture: Pit-Stop at Valero in Barnesville, GA
They have Premium 93, Non-Ethanol.

photo.JPG

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:08 pm quote
An installation at work for this weekend just got cancelled so I plan to get to Suches Friday and ride through Sunday to further check out rides. Current forcast is for less rain than last weekend. If not I have the rain gear.
Ossessionato
Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:18 am quote
Rode with Fuzzy Saturday. The "Twisty" Experience was Awsome.
We started at Riders Hill where he met me, and we went up to Telico Plains TN for Lunch and a visit to Telico Moto. On the way back, which the map does not show, I picked up 575 so I could get back to Atlanta sooner then the Senic Route.

For me it was a 500 Mile day, but it was well worth it.
Looking forward to Riding with you guys on the Saturday of Gathering.

Keith,
Marietta, GA

GarminTrack_RidersHill_TellicoPlains (Medium).JPG

photo.JPG

Last edited by klaborde on Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Molto Verboso
Piaggio MP3 500
Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:51 pm quote
Glad you all had a good time. I rolled out of Dahlonega up 19 and went to the Twisty Sister's Rally in Stecoah. I missed the leave time for the rides, so I rode up 28 and made a couple of passes on the Dragon. It was great going out, I was alone and playing the whole way. Coming back through I got behind some cruisers. You know it is bad when you come most of the way through the Dragon with your hand on your hip . . . . . Rally was great, and I came back home over the Cherohala about 8 this morning. *Sigh* back to work tomorrow.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:34 pm quote
GeorgiaGirl wrote:
You know it is bad when you come most of the way through the Dragon with your hand on your hip . . . . .
wow how you have improved. I remember back when you were not so likely to ride 1 handed.
Molto Verboso
Piaggio MP3 500
Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:42 pm quote
Did lose my line twice and have to throw my hand up really quick. It is really hard to set yourself up when you go into the curve at 30 and come out of a long set at 15 or 20 . . . .
Molto Verboso
MP3 500
Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:49 pm quote
Well I need to ask if the MP3 Gathering honors "Rain Checks" ?

Looks like something with my Home Based Business is going to be on the same weekend as the Gathering and this business. Been working on this one guy from California since August 2008. Always wanting a Business Legal help then changed that to a Family Legal help ... and I think he has swapped back and forth about 6 times since the first time.

I'm going to trade twisties for a 1/4 mile straight track. Not my thoughts of fun ride. But at least I'll ride my scoot there.

But this will lead me to other Drag Racing Companies for my Business at Home. And that is a good thing. Cause I'm looking to replace all of the panels on the scoot. Or get a 2011 MP3 500.

So I will be at the Ennis Drag Racing Facility, Sept 20-23. Camping. At least I have a free pass to get into the pit area and see what kind of business this guy is into.

I'll be making plans for the Spring Gathering.

I do have a reservation for camping, already paid for the first night. EMT will be camping so he can use that. If he stays longer then he will need to pay for those. I had reservations from Thursday thru Sunday night.

I don't know who else is camping, maybe EMT can share another site. He can work that out.

As soon as I get EMT to tell me what his plans are or he can find someone else camping to share a site with them. I'll cancel my reservation.

Ya'll have fun now. Ya hear!

See ya in the Spring Gathering.

Ed (FM)

And I was really looking forward to this Fall Gathering and the Dragon. Until later !!
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion Previous12345678Next
[ Time: 0.1510s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0760s) ][ Debug on ]