Along the way I made lots of assumptions and a trunk load of mistakes. It took me the best part of a month in my spare time.
There's not much eye candy in my project - I do like a nice shiny paint job on a scooter so I consulted my stylist and she advised me the "ghetto" look was in this season , so I took function over form.
To start with I bought a 2006 model Vespa LX50 2T from a guy who was going overseas. He had dropped it a few times causing some cosmetic damage and scratches. It had bald tyres, but the engine ran OK the frame looked straight enough.. We struck a deal - and I had a cheap scooter.
On the LX-50 I wanted to make sure the brakes, suspension and steering bearings where OK, adding more engine power requires greater stopping power and I wanted a solid platform to build upon. My thought was if the LX frame can take the power of a 150cc 4 stroke it should be up to the task of a 150cc 2 stroke. That makes sense, erm...right?
I started work on the LX50 scooter. I dismantled the steering fork and replaced inner and outer wheel stub axle bearings. I installed a new front shock and coil assembly. I refurbished the disk brake calliper. I replaced the upper and lower steering column bearings as a complete set. To fit the shells I used charging freezer spray and a 2kW hot air gun to shrink and expand the bits respectively. I reassembled parts onto the control fork and fitted it into the frame as a complete assembly. I replaced the hydraulic fluid, and bled the system of air. I was happy the front end was up to the task.[/img]
2006 model Vespa LX50 - 4 years in the hands of one careless owner. Now owned by someone with even less careful plans. I think the exhaust is an aftermarket Sito.
Front forks away.
front bit missing: Note hammer.
being pulled apart
Steering fork on the bench
old shock - new shock - spring design a bit different.