Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:44 pm

Ossessionato
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now
Joined: 19 Feb 2009
Posts: 2065
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
 
Ossessionato
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now
Joined: 19 Feb 2009
Posts: 2065
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:44 pm linkquote
Pictures follow the text.

Last year I picked up an AirMan Tour 60 12 volt air compressor, which I had mentioned in some other thread (that escapes me now) with the intent of posting a write-up on it. Finally finished what I wanted to do with it and found a little time to follow through.

This little air compressor apparently used to be known as an AirMan Sparrow; at least that was what I initially read when researching smallish portable compressors a year ago. Now known as the AirMan Tour 60, it's exactly the same based on pictures I have seen online. I read good things about it and decided to get one when I found one for an unbeatable price at aircompressorsdirect.com - $10 off and shipped free, so the total cost was less than $20 if I recall correctly. This was last August or so. I noted at the time that their site indicated the model was no longer going to be carried and these were the last of them available; indeed I don't see them on Amazon anymore now.

Considering the condition in which the compressor arrived I should have returned it. The shipping box was in fine shape but the product box inside was very smashed on one corner. Opening it up and inspecting it I could see nothing wrong with the pump itself - but I could hear some rattling inside, and clearly something was broken internally. I did not plug it in, deciding instead to just open it up and see what I could I could find - worst case, I damage it further and either return it or keep it and write it off.

What I found were several of the molded plastic bosses on the inside of the case were broken from the impact; the metal parts they held in place moved too much with whatever impact the unit had sustained. I was up to the challenge and proceeded to completely disassemble the unit and repair it with liberal application of epoxy. When I was done the unit worked quite well, and has held up ever since. I like the built in pressure gauge, which has proven to be accurate.

I had been intending to install the compressor under the seat on Loretta in the location where the charcoal canister had been secured - this a suggestion I think I first saw mentioned by rjeffb (he of UFP fame!). Once I was reasonably sure the compressor was well repaired and reliable, and I had a little time, I set out to get this done.

First thing I did was take the original canister mounting bracket and modify it by cutting off the canister holding extensions and grinding the cut metal smooth. I reworked the rubber strap mounting hooks to wrap around the larger size of the compressor, and I cut the D-rings from the canister retaining rubber strap. Using deft hammer and plier skills I banged the hook ends onto the D-rings, making a bracket that would retain the compressor with a strap. This worked out well but a bit odd in function since the original strap was wrapped around the canister at an angle - but it works well with the compressor.

When I removed the canister I had to plug the two holes in the bottom shell under the seat where the fuel tank vent and intake suction tubes were; for this I had used heavy rubber stoppers. This now had the nice side benefit of providing a cushion for the bottom of the compressor when secured in the bracket.

I had bought a length of 2" wide double-sided Velcro from strapworks.com just for this project. I cut it to fit the D-rings and secure the compressor to the bracket when wrapped in place. The Velcro holds securely and is easily removable when needed.

This was a relatively simple project. Many on bikes and scooters carry an air compressor with their toolkit, especially when touring, and I have found it to be a valuable addition myself. I think this turned out well. I always know where the thing is and it rides securely.



Delivery damage


And the first bits that fell out...


When opened I see plenty of broken bits.


This was all I could find - now to determine where they go!


This big boss was easy to position and epoxy in place.


Here is the repaired case, with extra epoxy reinforcement.


The modified canister bracket, rear view.


And front view.


This is the velcro strap, cut to fit (sorry, kinda dark).


The bracket installed under the seat. Rubber stoppers are evident right below it. With the flash the bracket looks silver!


The air compressor in place.


A closer view of the installation - completed!
Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:42 am

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Posts: 21942
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Posts: 21942
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:42 am linkquote
great job
Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:57 am

Bracketmeister
Bracketmeister Emeritus (retired)
Joined: 03 Jun 2009
Posts: 2519
Location: New Jersey
 
Bracketmeister
Bracketmeister Emeritus (retired)
Joined: 03 Jun 2009
Posts: 2519
Location: New Jersey
Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:57 am linkquote
Nice, although you definitely should have returned/complained when you found broken bits. How does the compressor work in action? Worth the trouble?

Is that a little flashlight in some sort of retainer I see in the tool sleeve?
Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:58 pm

Ossessionato
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now
Joined: 19 Feb 2009
Posts: 2065
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
 
Ossessionato
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now
Joined: 19 Feb 2009
Posts: 2065
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:58 pm linkquote
rjeffb wrote:
Nice, although you definitely should have returned/complained when you found broken bits. How does the compressor work in action? Worth the trouble?

Is that a little flashlight in some sort of retainer I see in the tool sleeve?
I thought about returning it but honestly that would have been worth more trouble than I figured I spent - by the time I make return arrangements, pack it, get it to shipping, pay to ship it... the repair effort was a good diversion and worked out fine. I did complain online and they posted it in the reviews of the product - which is of course gone now since they no longer sell this. C'est la vie.

The compressor works quite well, but noisy of course, and a bit bouncy. I am sure one could buy better (the one at cyclepump.com looks nice) but this was in hand and ready to go, and very inexpensive. Plus it's quite compact, with an easy to use valve attachment.

I have a small tactical LED flashlight inside the tool cup, and a little LED keychain light hanging there as well. No retainer, just dropped in the cup with the shock wrench and other stuff.
Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:21 pm

Hooked
2009 MP3 500
Joined: 08 May 2009
Posts: 122
Location: Medford, Oregon
 
Hooked
2009 MP3 500
Joined: 08 May 2009
Posts: 122
Location: Medford, Oregon
Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:21 pm linkquote
That looks great there, Roy. Doesn't croud the compartment much.


Chris
⬆️    About 2 years elapsed between posts    ⬇️
Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:16 pm

Ossessionato
MP3 500, Ducati ST4s, Honda Silver Wing
Joined: 21 May 2008
Posts: 2646
Location: Nomad currently in Placerville, CA
 
Ossessionato
MP3 500, Ducati ST4s, Honda Silver Wing
Joined: 21 May 2008
Posts: 2646
Location: Nomad currently in Placerville, CA
Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:16 pm linkquote
Re: Installed Airman Tour 60 Air Compressor In Canister Brac
BravoTwoFour wrote:
This little air compressor apparently used to be known as an AirMan Sparrow; at least that was what I initially read when researching smallish portable compressors a year ago. Now known as the AirMan Tour 60, it's exactly the same based on pictures I have seen online. I read good things about it and decided to get one when I found one for an unbeatable price at aircompressorsdirect.com - $10 off and shipped free, so the total cost was less than $20 if I recall correctly. This was last August or so. I noted at the time that their site indicated the model was no longer going to be carried and these were the last of them available; indeed I don't see them on Amazon anymore now.
I had read the good reviews and looked into getting one quite some time back; but couldn't find one. I don't know if they are back in production or if Sears is selling off the last of them. I just ordered one for $18.99 with free shipping to a Sears store and 25% off air tools purchased with a compressor.
Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:30 pm

Veni, Vidi, Posti
RIP: MP3 500 - Brutto Moto
Joined: 10 Jun 2008
Posts: 5283
Location: Austin, TX
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
RIP: MP3 500 - Brutto Moto
Joined: 10 Jun 2008
Posts: 5283
Location: Austin, TX
Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:30 pm linkquote
Re: Installed Airman Tour 60 Air Compressor In Canister Brac
heinlein wrote:
BravoTwoFour wrote:
This little air compressor apparently used to be known as an AirMan Sparrow; at least that was what I initially read when researching smallish portable compressors a year ago. Now known as the AirMan Tour 60, it's exactly the same based on pictures I have seen online. I read good things about it and decided to get one when I found one for an unbeatable price at aircompressorsdirect.com - $10 off and shipped free, so the total cost was less than $20 if I recall correctly. This was last August or so. I noted at the time that their site indicated the model was no longer going to be carried and these were the last of them available; indeed I don't see them on Amazon anymore now.
I had read the good reviews and looked into getting one quite some time back; but couldn't find one. I don't know if they are back in production or if Sears is selling off the last of them. I just ordered one for $18.99 with free shipping to a Sears store and 25% off air tools purchased with a compressor.
Isn't this the same compressor that Slime puts in their kit for about $25?
Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:56 pm

Ossessionato
MP3 500, Ducati ST4s, Honda Silver Wing
Joined: 21 May 2008
Posts: 2646
Location: Nomad currently in Placerville, CA
 
Ossessionato
MP3 500, Ducati ST4s, Honda Silver Wing
Joined: 21 May 2008
Posts: 2646
Location: Nomad currently in Placerville, CA
Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:56 pm linkquote
Re: Installed Airman Tour 60 Air Compressor In Canister Brac
BubbaJon wrote:
heinlein wrote:
BravoTwoFour wrote:
This little air compressor apparently used to be known as an AirMan Sparrow; at least that was what I initially read when researching smallish portable compressors a year ago. Now known as the AirMan Tour 60, it's exactly the same based on pictures I have seen online. I read good things about it and decided to get one when I found one for an unbeatable price at aircompressorsdirect.com - $10 off and shipped free, so the total cost was less than $20 if I recall correctly. This was last August or so. I noted at the time that their site indicated the model was no longer going to be carried and these were the last of them available; indeed I don't see them on Amazon anymore now.
I had read the good reviews and looked into getting one quite some time back; but couldn't find one. I don't know if they are back in production or if Sears is selling off the last of them. I just ordered one for $18.99 with free shipping to a Sears store and 25% off air tools purchased with a compressor.
Isn't this the same compressor that Slime puts in their kit for about $25?
No this is the one that blew the slime one away in a webbikeworld comparison. http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motorcycle-tire-air-pump/slime-pump-vs-airman-sparrow/
Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:13 pm

Bracketmeister
Bracketmeister Emeritus (retired)
Joined: 03 Jun 2009
Posts: 2519
Location: New Jersey
 
Bracketmeister
Bracketmeister Emeritus (retired)
Joined: 03 Jun 2009
Posts: 2519
Location: New Jersey
Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:13 pm linkquote
I have the Slimne compressor (mounted in the empty evap can location) and while it did not have all the probelsm mentioned in that article, it is noisy, cheaply made, and inconvenient. I would have much rather had the Sparrow, if only for the self-contained wiring and pressure guge.
Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:28 pm

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 40438
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
 
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 40438
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:28 pm linkquote
However the USD12 Slime mini-compressor (part number 40020 - bought my ones at Pep-Boys)) has the same twist-on connector as the Airman and a gauge built in (though I use a separate one to check), and the requisite cigar-lighter connector and built-in light.



Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:23 pm

Bracketmeister
Bracketmeister Emeritus (retired)
Joined: 03 Jun 2009
Posts: 2519
Location: New Jersey
 
Bracketmeister
Bracketmeister Emeritus (retired)
Joined: 03 Jun 2009
Posts: 2519
Location: New Jersey
Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:23 pm linkquote
Noce. But does it fit into the evep can bracket? (Which I'm presuming you don't even have in order to try.)
Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:15 pm

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 40438
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
 
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 40438
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:15 pm linkquote
The pump itself is 11*9*4.5cm, only the electrical leads and container add to that.

The package inc. leads in its zip-up bag is 15*11*5cm.

All rounded up to nearest 0.5cm. Sorry, measuring instruments with inches are hard to find here.
⬆️    About 10 years elapsed between posts    ⬇️
Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:49 pm

Florida Man
MP3 500 HPE Sport Advanced
Joined: 15 Sep 2021
Posts: 30
Location: Homestead, Florida
 
Florida Man
MP3 500 HPE Sport Advanced
Joined: 15 Sep 2021
Posts: 30
Location: Homestead, Florida
Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:49 pm linkquote
BravoTwoFour wrote:
This was a relatively simple project. Many on bikes and scooters carry an air compressor with their toolkit, especially when touring, and I have found it to be a valuable addition myself. I think this turned out well. I always know where the thing is and it rides securely.
Awesome Project and great idea too, I hate the "Photobucket" watermark, but love the pics !!!
  DoubleGood Vespa Design  

All Content Copyright 2005-2021 by Modern Vespa. All Rights Reserved.

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

Shop on Amazon Smile with Modern Vespa

[ Time: 0.0284s ][ Queries: 7 (0.0066s) ][ Debug on ][ 209 ][ Thing One ]