I received a nice rear rim for Punkin - Thanks Orange!
I didn't need to do much to prep it, and had to use a Light Touch with my random orbital sander and 120 paper to smooth out a few nicks.
The HF wheel balancer I'd used was put away in the attic, and I thought of a less troublesome way to set the rim up for painting. Did it all in the yard, away from the house in case of wind-driven overspray.
I ran out of the black paint I'd used on 2 previous "painting" efforts, and sought something faster-drying and glossier. Found Rustoleum Lacquer and it worked well. I didn't put any special effort to covering the rim edge, as it's going to be sprayed Taormina Orange anyway. The center portion and spokes turned out much better than expected.
Once the Black is dry, the center portion must be masked to color-match the rim edges. Found a plate that fit the 9.375" needed to mask the middle. The critical step is getting the masking tape perfectly aligned with the "Step" where the bead sits. Once that is done, the cone and disk are taped on to mask the center. I pre-slit the centers to push the steel rod through.
Next I'll go back to the steel rod and sawhorses and spray the orange rim edges, followed by clear-coat. Wish me luck that I don't scratch the rim mounting the new City Grip!