Raising the dead.....Candy the Sprint
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous12
Molto Verboso
2007 Stella 225
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:32 am quote
GrandpaNate wrote:
Not exactly happy that Iíll have to take my cowl off to start my bike, but ya do whatís ya gots ya do....for now.
Have you looked for a cable conversion? Exactly which carburetor is it?
Ossessionato
2015 GTS300, 1974 Primavera, 04 Ninja 250
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:37 pm quote
That was a PHBH 30, he showed it in a pic but then he said he's going to run a stock style 26 carb anyway, so it's no longer a concern.

That paint is looking fantastic, nice work.
Enthusiast
Old Vespas and Lambrettas
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:38 am quote
Christopher_55934 wrote:
GrandpaNate wrote:
Not exactly happy that Iíll have to take my cowl off to start my bike, but ya do whatís ya gots ya do....for now.
Have you looked for a cable conversion? Exactly which carburetor is it?
I had a cable choke on the bike when I built it way back, but somehow lost the damn thing! Trying to find one for a 30mm phbh is like finding an honest politician!!!
Enthusiast
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:40 am quote
sdjohn wrote:
That was a PHBH 30, he showed it in a pic but then he said he's going to run a stock style 26 carb anyway, so it's no longer a concern.

That paint is looking fantastic, nice work.
Thank you very much!! Just wish it was going a bit quicker. Rushing is never a good idea, but sitting looking at her on my lift is annoying as well. Especially since I have another project waiting........

Enthusiast
Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:36 am quote
Cleaning my shop so needed to take her off of the lift. Damn she looks good on the ground....

Hooked
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:06 pm quote
awesome job...,
Hooked
79p200e 66smallstate 85pk50xl 84p125ets 63GL
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:19 pm quote
Gorgeous!!
bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x 2), 74 Primavera (x 2), 06 Fly 150
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:26 pm quote
Very respectable!
Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:41 pm quote
Does look good on the ground, very very clean, black and red really rock together.
Enthusiast
Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:38 pm quote
Thank you very much gang! Wish I had better updates, but I think Iím in the final push. Canít wait to flog the ever living hell outta her again!!!
Molto Verboso
bare metal cafe racer
Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:53 am quote
Looking awesome. The trap head looks so go with the gloss black and modernized customizations. All ties together. When and where did it come from - I though the US sprints had a round head? Did the Vís come trap or is this Euro or added?

Doesnít look far from done... keep on pushing!
Molto Verboso
bare metal cafe racer
Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:55 am quote
Go on... finish her. The lambo can wait
Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:48 am quote
Slow and steady eventually hits the finish line.
Enthusiast
Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:52 am quote
pheasant plucker wrote:
Looking awesome. The trap head looks so go with the gloss black and modernized customizations. All ties together. When and where did it come from - I though the US sprints had a round head? Did the Vís come trap or is this Euro or added?

Doesnít look far from done... keep on pushing!
Thanks man! You are correct, as far as I know US models came with the round headlight. The GL And Euro models had the trap headset. I honestly donít remember when/where I got it but thatís what I put on when I built her all those years ago. Not only looks better IMHO, but makes cables and wiring easier too with just that little bit of extra room!!
Ossessionato
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella
Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:07 am quote
That is a SHARP looking bike, but what's the story with the legshield glovebox?

I mean, I totally get that they're much more practical than the cowling box, but to me, part of the appeal of the Sprint, VBB, and GL are that they don't have that glovebox breaking up the lines.

I have a round headlight on my Sprint V, and it's a weird size, to the point I finally had to break down and ask for help figuring out a new bezel for it (Thanks, SoCal!)

How close are you to having it back on the road? It's been almost too hot to work outside up here in Chicago, so I figure you must be up in that range of temp's that made me leave Texas for somewhere cooler.
Enthusiast
Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:48 am quote
chandlerman wrote:

I mean, I totally get that they're much more practical than the cowling box, but to me, part of the appeal of the Sprint, VBB, and GL are that they don't have that glovebox breaking up the lines.

I have a round headlight on my Sprint V, and it's a weird size, to the point I finally had to break down and ask for help figuring out a new bezel for it (Thanks, SoCal!)

How close are you to having it back on the road? It's been almost too hot to work outside up here in Chicago, so I figure you must be up in that range of temp's that made me leave Texas for somewhere cooler.
To be honest just love having the legshield glove box for storage. I did have a spare holder painted and thought about going that route, but just love the glovebox too much! 😁

Weird size headset? In what way?

All thatís left really is to redo the housings for the gears and clutch (I was a dumby and just grabbed a new set I had laying around and it turns out they are for a P series. About 2 inches too long. 😡). Then build the tank and button up all the wiring. Should be good to go at that point.

The heat has been a killer here the past couple months. 110-117 kinda kills the motivation! Then a medical issue popped up and completely stopped any real work from getting done. But now that human temps are coming and the gut is back to almost normal I should be able to get her done.
Ossessionato
Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:08 am quote
Oooh...you are getting close. It's always exciting being on the edge of that first ride
GrandpaNate wrote:
Weird size headset? In what way?
It's basically 120mm ID/130mm OD, but everyone's catalogs list the round size headlight bezel for the US SprintV as being the same 130/150 as a Rally.

Turns out, it's the same size as a Smallie or Super, but none of the usual Reliable Sources showed that.

So I'm also now holding multiple 130/150 rally bezels, everything from a sweet black anodized CnC'ed one for an LED headlight to the cheapo BA-20D replacement setup with a plastic lens assembly to just a plain stamped metal ring if anyone is shopping.
GrandpaNate wrote:
The heat has been a killer here the past couple months. 110-117 kinda kills the motivation!
Yeah, 110+ is just bullshit. I remember trying to be out in the pool when it was about 115 one time. We tried putting the patio umbrella in the pool, stand and all, to get some shade, but even then, it was still miserable.

The day I left Austin in 1996, it was 103 in mid-October. I woke up the next morning in Chicago and it was about 60 going to a high of 68. That was amazing. Of course, I had no idea what was coming next, but that's a different story that eventually involves scooter snow tires...
Molto Verboso
bare metal cafe racer
Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:54 am quote
chandlerman wrote:

But they were always optional extras right? Hopefully more useful than a spare tyre Itís interesting that motorcycles generally donít have a spare but Vespas often do. Tubes is the reason I guess?
Molto Verboso
Vespa
Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:01 pm quote
Like the red rims Grandpa and the white lettering on the tire, always liked swallow tires because of that.

Chose not to have a legshield spare on my GL and totally love not having that extra weight, have one on my GS which adds a lot of weight much more fun to ride without the spare tire. On the other hand LOVE the legshield glovebox on my bajaj!
Ossessionato
Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:33 pm quote
pheasant plucker wrote:
But they were always optional extras right? Hopefully more useful than a spare tyre Itís interesting that motorcycles generally donít have a spare but Vespas often do. Tubes is the reason I guess?
Dunno if they were options, but I always figured that the spare was driven by two reasons: First, the bikes were designed to be as self-maintainable as possible. Due to the chain drive, many motorcycle tires effectively can't be changed on the side of the road. Second, they were being ridden in places where it was easy to pop a tire, tubed or tubeless, so people needed the spare.

I don't normally carry a spare on my bikes, but I have been known to bring a plug kit and a small air pump if I'm going to be covering a lot of road since I'm tubeless.
Enthusiast
Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:53 am quote
Well I can't believe it's been so long since I posted an update. Moved to a new house and a big surgery slowed work on the Sprint for a bit, but I got a little update now.

I've been friends with this crazy internet rock star for about 25 years. You may know him as Robot, but I just call him Jeff. I was able to talk him into coming out to Arizona from San Diego for our clubs barn building to finish up the wiring on the bike. I figured since he built the harness back in 2000 that he'd be the perfect one to get it sorted this time. I hate electrical.

It took Jeff all of 45 minutes to have her all of her electrical stuff working. After only 2 kicks she fired up and ticked over pretty much perfectly. I do think I need to upjet the idle circuit since there is a very slight lag off idle but other than that she pulls nice and strong and shifts smooth as butter.

Now to take her out and put some break in miles on her!
Addicted
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge
Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:37 am quote
Robot is the Man! Glad to see that you've completed your Sprint.
Enthusiast
Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:48 am quote
rowdyc wrote:
Robot is the Man! Glad to see that you've completed your Sprint.
Itís just so damn hard for me to call him Robot!
66 bluebadge,primavera,2x 74 rally,79 p200e 64 gl 2x 64 vbb 2x ld 57 ld 125

Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:22 am quote
Not Thread related....But, Did You (grandpaNate) Run with The Pharaohs in Phoenix in the mid 90s? If so You presented a white smallframe the Krylon king trophy on the pavilions run in '97. if not please disregard.
Enthusiast
Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:49 am quote
jedihunter wrote:
Not Thread related....But, Did You (grandpaNate) Run with The Pharaohs in Phoenix in the mid 90s? If so You presented a white smallframe the Krylon king trophy on the pavilions run in '97. if not please disregard.
Thatís me. Still a Pharaoh. Pic of the bike?
66 bluebadge,primavera,2x 74 rally,79 p200e 64 gl 2x 64 vbb 2x ld 57 ld 125

Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:03 am quote
I don't have a pic of the bike, and its in pieces now. You new me as Chuck. I was basically shop help at vespa of phoenix, and built a red 74 rally right before I left for Colorado.
Ossessionato
79 P200E, 62 Allstate, 2008 Stella
Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:50 am quote
Robot's my hero
Enthusiast
Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:29 pm quote
So took her on about 20 mile shakedown ride this morning and I am well pleased. Shift stops perfect. Accelerated great and feels like plenty of power. Had to reel myself back in a couple times as Iím breaking in the new topend.

Overall pretty damn stoked.
Evil
86 T5, 71 Sprint, 63 GL
Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:51 pm quote
Great job GrandpaNate, pretty cool to have Robot do your wiring too. Hats a great looking scooter.
Addicted
2010 S50 Modified "Punkin"; 2003 ET4 Malossi 187 "ISO"
Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:54 pm quote
Greetings:

Proper Respect for this worthwhile resurrection. Friends in high places help as well, but I am confident that with your attention to detail you would have succeeded eventually.
Enthusiast
Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:42 pm quote
Did a little shake down run, maybe 40 odd miles or so, and...um.....I f**king love this bike.

Pulls solid throughout the revs, shifts great, clutch is a bit heavy but really smooth, brakes great (for a 40 something old scoot), and I forgot how ďon a dimeĒ this thing turns.

Just little tweaks to do now.

Did I mention I f**king love this bike????

😊
Enthusiast
Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:37 am quote
Wheelman-111 wrote:
Greetings:

Proper Respect for this worthwhile resurrection. Friends in high places help as well, but I am confident that with your attention to detail you would have succeeded eventually.
Beyond happy with her. Rides so incredibly solid. Now I just need to find a seat that flows with the lines of the bike and doesnít have freakin springs that dig into my butt. I tend to ride further back on the seat and not in the 2 positions that are not torture points.
Ossessionato
79 P200E, 62 Allstate, 2008 Stella
Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:04 am quote
GrandpaNate wrote:
Now I just need to find a seat that flows with the lines of the bike and doesnít have freakin springs that dig into my butt. I tend to ride further back on the seat and not in the 2 positions that are not torture points.
I'm with you on that! Just about any seat except stock works for me cause of that spring. The Stella seat works pretty well for me, and this one from the scooter market: http://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-Parts/Complete-Seats/ANCILLF

Your scooter looks great!
Enthusiast
Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:25 am quote
Little bit of pinstripe love today...

DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous12
[ Time: 0.0518s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0319s) ][ Debug on ][ Thing Two ]