First off, these tires are not only big, but WIDE, and that's what makes this interesting. The front tire went on almost just fine. first I had the unpleasant surprise of discovering that the lower shock buffer had twisted and was about to pop out of the mount, so first things first, I had to fix that.
Then, even with that fixed, I discovered that the wheel was rubbing just a tiny bit on the front spring, so I pull the tire off (again) and put a washer under each wheel. Not the best, but it fixed the rubbing. It doesn't seem like a lot of work, but doing all that was a lot of work.
Then on to the rear wheel. I knew that I'd have to drop the motor out of the rear shock mount, plus remove the PM Tuning pipe to get the tires swapped. But then I found that I was rubbing on the clutch cover just a tiny amount. No biggie. More washers under the wheels, and I'm good to go. Again, and this was partly due to working out of boxes right now, this was a lot more work than it needed to be because I didn't have some basics like jack stands which would have made it all much easier.
so with my 1mm spacers (aka washers) in place, rear wheel back on, shock bolt re-installed, re-attach the pipe. Which rubs. A lot. To figure out how much, I started stacking washers on the attachment bolt from the bracket to the pipe itself. eventually, I determined that I needed a good 10mm of spacers, which is a lot of washers. Then, I remembered that I had some 8mm ID aluminum tubing which I'd actually seen recently. Dig through boxes until I find it, cut two lengths and install those as spacers. This gave me decent clearance from the tire to the pipe and it's FINALLY time for a test ride, which I know is the part you've all been waiting for.
Oh, and the center stand is now too short, so I have to stick a board under it to park it. I guess it's center stand time, which will go better with the tuned pipe anyway.
The extra diameter is noticeable when you're on the bike and took a tiny bit of getting used to. In terms of ride quality, I didn't notice it being any rougher than I'm used to, but they definitely feel better cornering. That could be because I was used to my old, crappy tires, but I don't know if they ever cornered like these do, and the old tires were also K61's, so I guess I'll never really know.
On on the highway is where I noticed the biggest difference. In the past, 65 was about as fast as I'd want to ride before it started feeling dangerous. This time, I was up to 75 and it still felt good. The increased mass and diameter really helped steady the wheels at speed. About that same time, I had a minor panic attack that I was doing 75 on wheels and tires that I just installed, and started worrying that something was going to come unstuck. So I jumped off at the next exit, gave everything a quick once-over, which all looked good, then turned around and headed home.
All in all, a PITA to install, but a big difference. If you're going to switch over to bigger, wider tires like this, be ready to do some custom fitment (at least on pre-PX bikes), especially if you're running a leftie tuned pipe. If you have a box, expect to need to drop the motor out of the rear shock, but it'll be a piece of cake after that.
That's not good.
Josie approves of the new wheels
center stand is the new side stand