Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:03 pm

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Joined: 21 Oct 2005
Posts: 9162
Location: The state of insanity, SoCal
 
Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Joined: 21 Oct 2005
Posts: 9162
Location: The state of insanity, SoCal
Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:03 pm linkquote
Ah! Collections for the box o shame!

If it's from SEA nothing surprises me anymore. I've seen it all rafterman. I've got the 1000 yard stare.

-g
Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:00 pm

Hooked
1958 Allstate 177VMC, 2005 70cc Yamaha Vino
Joined: 23 Aug 2020
Posts: 410
Location: Philadelphia
 
Hooked
1958 Allstate 177VMC, 2005 70cc Yamaha Vino
Joined: 23 Aug 2020
Posts: 410
Location: Philadelphia
Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:23 pm

Ossessionato
VSX, Stella 177, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9B1T
Joined: 20 Jul 2018
Posts: 3276
Location: Staten Island, NY
 
Ossessionato
VSX, Stella 177, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9B1T
Joined: 20 Jul 2018
Posts: 3276
Location: Staten Island, NY
Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:23 pm linkquote
Look at the horncast in the first photo! It looks like paper mache that got wet.
Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:34 pm

Molto Verboso
2007 Stella 225
Joined: 02 Nov 2019
Posts: 1777
Location: Rochester, Minnesota
 
Molto Verboso
2007 Stella 225
Joined: 02 Nov 2019
Posts: 1777
Location: Rochester, Minnesota
Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:34 pm linkquote
swiss1939 wrote:
Look at the horncast in the first photo! It looks like paper mache that got wet.
Look under the left rear cowl, another line of rust coming through that seam.
Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:22 pm

Hooked
1958 Allstate 177VMC, 2005 70cc Yamaha Vino
Joined: 23 Aug 2020
Posts: 410
Location: Philadelphia
 
Hooked
1958 Allstate 177VMC, 2005 70cc Yamaha Vino
Joined: 23 Aug 2020
Posts: 410
Location: Philadelphia
Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:22 pm linkquote
swiss1939 wrote:
Look at the horncast in the first photo! It looks like paper mache that got wet.
looks even worse than mine and mine looks like a ruffles potato chip!
Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:21 pm

Hooked
1958 Allstate 177VMC, 2005 70cc Yamaha Vino
Joined: 23 Aug 2020
Posts: 410
Location: Philadelphia
 
Hooked
1958 Allstate 177VMC, 2005 70cc Yamaha Vino
Joined: 23 Aug 2020
Posts: 410
Location: Philadelphia
Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:21 pm linkquote
Oh boy. Only [edit] $11,995!!!

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/1969-Vespa-SPRINT+150+S-5014972686
Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:06 am

Addicted
A box of parts
Joined: 30 Jul 2009
Posts: 711
Location: San Francisco, CA
 
Addicted
A box of parts
Joined: 30 Jul 2009
Posts: 711
Location: San Francisco, CA
Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:06 am linkquote
FridayMatinee wrote:
All the detail shots on this one cured me of ever wanting to rebuild one of these for fun.

There is almost nothing left of the original bike but the frame and case. Every bit of hardware is replaced by low-quality reproduction parts.

And very strange modifications. Like what is that plastic sleeve in the tank? Why did they put a PX style rear brake?





Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:26 am

Hooked
P Series / Li / LML / Motobi
Joined: 24 Jun 2019
Posts: 456
Location: UK - 3rd Rock From the Sun
 
Hooked
P Series / Li / LML / Motobi
Joined: 24 Jun 2019
Posts: 456
Location: UK - 3rd Rock From the Sun
Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:26 am linkquote
the plastic insert looks to be a grit strainer
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed between posts    ⬇️
Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:20 pm

Ossessionato
VSX, Stella 177, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9B1T
Joined: 20 Jul 2018
Posts: 3276
Location: Staten Island, NY
 
Ossessionato
VSX, Stella 177, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9B1T
Joined: 20 Jul 2018
Posts: 3276
Location: Staten Island, NY
Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:20 pm linkquote
At least this guy admits it and kinda prices appropriately.

https://daytona.craigslist.org/mcy/d/kissimmee-1968-vespa-gt-180-fully-redone/7288945584.html



Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:46 pm

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150
Joined: 26 Sep 2013
Posts: 6010
Location: So Cal
 
bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150
Joined: 26 Sep 2013
Posts: 6010
Location: So Cal
Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:46 pm linkquote
"GT 180"

lol, he made up a whole new model
Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:49 pm

Ossessionato
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
Joined: 02 Aug 2015
Posts: 2371
Location: Veria, Greece
 
Ossessionato
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
Joined: 02 Aug 2015
Posts: 2371
Location: Veria, Greece
Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:49 pm linkquote
It was a limited run, 1 of 1...
Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:12 pm

Ossessionato
VSX, Stella 177, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9B1T
Joined: 20 Jul 2018
Posts: 3276
Location: Staten Island, NY
 
Ossessionato
VSX, Stella 177, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9B1T
Joined: 20 Jul 2018
Posts: 3276
Location: Staten Island, NY
Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:12 pm linkquote
Yup i thought that was funny. GT 180!
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:37 pm

Enthusiast
Joined: 14 Jan 2018
Posts: 84
Location: no matter where you go, there you are
 
Enthusiast
Joined: 14 Jan 2018
Posts: 84
Location: no matter where you go, there you are
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:37 pm linkquote
Another one off?
Seems like a fair price for 'museum condition'

https://daytona.craigslist.org/mcy/d/orlando-wts-1962-gsa160-museum-condition/7288500930.html





Last edited by markosmarkos on Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:13 am; edited 5 times in total
Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:35 am

Addicted
1967 Granturismo 177, 1979 P200E, 1974 Primavera 125 Hooligans S/C Seattle/Austin
Joined: 11 Mar 2013
Posts: 619
Location: Austin, TX
 
Addicted
1967 Granturismo 177, 1979 P200E, 1974 Primavera 125 Hooligans S/C Seattle/Austin
Joined: 11 Mar 2013
Posts: 619
Location: Austin, TX
Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:35 am linkquote
Did they paint that thing with "Wet and Wild" Nail
hjo wrote:
FridayMatinee wrote:
All the detail shots on this one cured me of ever wanting to rebuild one of these for fun.

There is almost nothing left of the original bike but the frame and case. Every bit of hardware is replaced by low-quality reproduction parts.

And very strange modifications. Like what is that plastic sleeve in the tank? Why did they put a PX style rear brake?
That color is sick. And not in a good way.
Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:28 am

Hooked
Vespa
Joined: 25 May 2016
Posts: 440
Location: US
 
Hooked
Vespa
Joined: 25 May 2016
Posts: 440
Location: US
Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:28 am linkquote
Added a few front light and price tag jumped to 24k? Holly smoke...

wait it's a 1966 Super but with Acorn tail-light + VBB headset... oh wait there are more to it... the yellow boot.







Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:24 am

Ossessionato
VSX, Stella 177, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9B1T
Joined: 20 Jul 2018
Posts: 3276
Location: Staten Island, NY
 
Ossessionato
VSX, Stella 177, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9B1T
Joined: 20 Jul 2018
Posts: 3276
Location: Staten Island, NY
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:24 am linkquote
nice glove box on a 90.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/mcy/d/new-york-vintage-vespa-90/7294783358.html

10K. "Only serious inquiries". HAHAHAHHAHAHA.

How about "Only serious sellers."
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:30 am

Ossessionato
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
Joined: 02 Aug 2015
Posts: 2371
Location: Veria, Greece
 
Ossessionato
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
Joined: 02 Aug 2015
Posts: 2371
Location: Veria, Greece
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:30 am linkquote
OK, price is crazy, but the scooter looks legit apart the glovebox, unless it's an old Italian accessory. I don't think they even bothered bodging smallies in SEA...
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:32 am

Ossessionato
VSX, Stella 177, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9B1T
Joined: 20 Jul 2018
Posts: 3276
Location: Staten Island, NY
 
Ossessionato
VSX, Stella 177, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9B1T
Joined: 20 Jul 2018
Posts: 3276
Location: Staten Island, NY
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:32 am linkquote
I only put it here cause there was nowhere else to put it, but yeah glove box only addition I could see. It's the price that got me! Maybe for a pristine original 90SS, but a plain ol 90? That is the most expensive glove box addition ever.
Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:45 pm

Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '78 P200 E '84 Cosa '91 PK50XL2 '58 AllState '68 Sprint '80 50special and a '66(?) Super125
Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 8250
Location: seattle/athens
 
Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '78 P200 E '84 Cosa '91 PK50XL2 '58 AllState '68 Sprint '80 50special and a '66(?) Super125
Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 8250
Location: seattle/athens
Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:45 pm linkquote
He thinks that a 'restoration' done there is a good sign.... but the interesting thing is the last sentence below. And where do you come from, old broken SS180?
Quote:
1957 Vespa 125 Restored as a 150 in Vietnam To An Excellent Condition about 8 years ago. Only driven less than 50 miles since restoration. I cleaned the fuel tank, put in a new fuel tap shut off and today I just installed a new carburetor. It starts first kick and runs strong and idles as it should. (It does need the choke cable installed and a carb adjustment!) I will be posting plenty of pictures. This is a well restored early Vespa that looks and drives as new. Because it was built in 1957 for a European market it has NO TURN SIGNALS or BRAKE LIGHT, it does have a headlight and horn, and a rear reflector! This bike has a lot of power for its age and drives real smooth. I have showed the bike a few times and it always draws a crowd where ever I take it. For more information give me a TEXT me first before you CALL me, NO EMAILS!! This bike will not disappoint you. You would be very hard pressed to find another 64 Year Old Vespa like this one, which has also been restored to an excellent condition! Vespa has a Michigan Title and is licensed as an Historical Vehicle. Serious Buyers Only! I will also be posting a 1968 Vespa SS180 once I have it running (it also needs a carburetor adjustment and choke cable installed!) If interested I can make you a package deal on both!!
Here: https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/mcy/d/utica-1957-vespa-125-restored-as-150/7292847676.html

Sadly, the black one looks like it's probably from the same source.

Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:38 pm

Member
71 sprint
Joined: 20 Nov 2014
Posts: 22
Location: houston
 
Member
71 sprint
Joined: 20 Nov 2014
Posts: 22
Location: houston
Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:31 pm

Hooked
61 VBB and 79 P200
Joined: 01 Jan 2018
Posts: 208
Location: Folsom CA
 
Hooked
61 VBB and 79 P200
Joined: 01 Jan 2018
Posts: 208
Location: Folsom CA
Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:31 pm linkquote
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/for/d/gardnerville-1961-vespa/7296755821.html

Man, if I only had $3500 sitting around.
Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:07 am

Ossessionato
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella
Joined: 16 Jun 2011
Posts: 3481
Location: Nashville
 
Ossessionato
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella
Joined: 16 Jun 2011
Posts: 3481
Location: Nashville
Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:07 am linkquote
Popgunandy wrote:
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/for/d/gardnerville-1961-vespa/7296755821.html

Man, if I only had $3500 sitting around.
That scooter looks like something I'd drink if I had an upset stomach.
Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:47 am

Addicted
1967 Granturismo 177, 1979 P200E, 1974 Primavera 125 Hooligans S/C Seattle/Austin
Joined: 11 Mar 2013
Posts: 619
Location: Austin, TX
 
Addicted
1967 Granturismo 177, 1979 P200E, 1974 Primavera 125 Hooligans S/C Seattle/Austin
Joined: 11 Mar 2013
Posts: 619
Location: Austin, TX
Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:47 am linkquote
"OK, price is crazy, but the scooter looks legit apart the glovebox, unless it's an old Italian accessory. I don't think they even bothered bodging smallies in SEA..."


Down to $7k... Getting warmer
Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:21 pm

Ossessionato
VSX, Stella 177, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9B1T
Joined: 20 Jul 2018
Posts: 3276
Location: Staten Island, NY
 
Ossessionato
VSX, Stella 177, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9B1T
Joined: 20 Jul 2018
Posts: 3276
Location: Staten Island, NY
Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:21 pm linkquote
67GT125 wrote:
"OK, price is crazy, but the scooter looks legit apart the glovebox, unless it's an old Italian accessory. I don't think they even bothered bodging smallies in SEA..."


Down to $7k... Getting warmer
I saw that yesterday and laughed. Still about 6k north of true.
Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:30 pm

Addicted
A box of parts
Joined: 30 Jul 2009
Posts: 711
Location: San Francisco, CA
 
Addicted
A box of parts
Joined: 30 Jul 2009
Posts: 711
Location: San Francisco, CA
Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:30 pm linkquote
This is surprising.

Mixed in with Bello Moto's huge collection of super rare bikes, is this.

https://www.bellomoto.com/1975-vespa-sprint-veloce-bv13



Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:26 pm

Ossessionato
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella
Joined: 16 Jun 2011
Posts: 3481
Location: Nashville
 
Ossessionato
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella
Joined: 16 Jun 2011
Posts: 3481
Location: Nashville
Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:26 pm linkquote
Sadly, this showed up in the VCOA newsletter tonight



Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:15 am

Addicted
1967 Granturismo 177, 1979 P200E, 1974 Primavera 125 Hooligans S/C Seattle/Austin
Joined: 11 Mar 2013
Posts: 619
Location: Austin, TX
 
Addicted
1967 Granturismo 177, 1979 P200E, 1974 Primavera 125 Hooligans S/C Seattle/Austin
Joined: 11 Mar 2013
Posts: 619
Location: Austin, TX
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:15 am linkquote
Please don't tell me...
chandlerman wrote:
Sadly, this showed up in the VCOA newsletter tonight
I certainly hope this has the header "any bikes but this one" under it.
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:33 am

Member
Joined: 30 Apr 2021
Posts: 6
Location: Jacksonville, FL
 
Member
Joined: 30 Apr 2021
Posts: 6
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:33 am linkquote
Hi, all! Newbie here needs help.

What's wrong with these? Why are they bodges? I see some aftermarket stuff (chrome, seats, speedo) but couldn't these still be solid bikes with parts that were added or replaced with aftermarket if they couldn't find original? Trying to learn what to look for. I was interested in these until I joined here today to ask about them and was swiftly told not to be.

1962 Vespa 150
1962 piaggio vespa 150 completely restored runs and drives just needs fluids beautiful collection piece it is stored in st augies pizza in st augustine florida as a show piece only has 102 original kilometers add wouldnt let me post it with 102km come check it out for sale 6,000$ obo
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/429416834826827/

1967 Vespa 150 (Super?)
Very nice Vespa 150 spirt all original just took second place riding into history st augistine very collectible price will be going up come take a look.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1096152460874193/

[/url]
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:50 am

Hooked
1968 VBB150
Joined: 04 Nov 2015
Posts: 206
Location: OC
 
Hooked
1968 VBB150
Joined: 04 Nov 2015
Posts: 206
Location: OC
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:50 am linkquote
Whats wrong with them is not visible in a picture *clues* are in the pictures.

Let me tell you the tale I watched in person, and have seen on here many times.

1. "I am sure its fine, just needs a tune up- so what if it has yellow boots?"
2. "Wow, I rebuilt the carb and it still wont run."
3. "I have compression, gas and spark, but it wont idle"
4. "Took it to the local Vespa mechanic and he wont touch it- doesnt he like money?"
5. So, I am noticing some cracks in the weld spots, and some rust coming through, should be ok though right?"
6. "I'll have my buddy rebuild the engine, he will know what to do."
7. (buddy) "Dude, this motor is toast. I cant believe how bad it is inside there"
8. Dumbstruck buyer: "Its all clean and chromey outside, it should be good"
10. (Bank account) "OW! HEY! STOP IT!"
11. New motor in bike, buyer is now out $3-4K in repair costs and FULLY INVESTED. IT MUST RUN NOW.
12. "How come I am seeing rust everywhere now and the bondo is cracking and the chrome looks like hell? Buyer goes back and reads this whole thread front to back, then the light bulb goes off.
13. Buyer places ad(ad on Craigslist) "Vintage Vespa, low miles, have spent 3-4K on repairs- my loss your gain"
14."Anyone here on MV have a scoot they want to sell?"

Skip directly to 14 and thank everyone here later.
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:25 pm

Ossessionato
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella
Joined: 16 Jun 2011
Posts: 3481
Location: Nashville
 
Ossessionato
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella
Joined: 16 Jun 2011
Posts: 3481
Location: Nashville
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:25 pm linkquote
dsnyder586 wrote:
Whats wrong with them is not visible in a picture *clues* are in the pictures.
Yup. There are some things that *could* be legit, but only are legit in very special, specific cases, neither of which are these bikes. Other things are, for some reason, recurring bits of workmanship that you get to know after looking at enough of these. Others are just the result an experienced eyes, even looking at those tiny pictures, and others still are as much about what is NOT being shown in the pictures.

So let's look at that red one real quick (because I only have a couple minutes, so this may not get completed)
1) Legshield glovebox on a Super. Only happens on a bodge. Someone correct me on the details here, but I believe that the only bikes with both a legshield and cowling glovebox were some Bajaj Sprints, and even then, it had a different shape to the glovebox, much boxier for carrying larger things than that one.
2) Chromed fork top. Always seem to show up on bodges
3) Key under the gas tank. Bodge.
4) the uber-shiny two-stage paint. Doesn't mean it's a bodge, but budges all use two-stage paint when an actual restoration would be single-stage.
5) No picture of the motor, so we can't see the electrical, CDI/Coil, closeup of the shifter or kickstart, etc.
6) The floor mat (and thus probably the tunnel/floorboards) very likely came off a post-1979 pike, i.e. a PX of some sort
7) You can barely see the seams of the frame due to heavy skim-coating
8) Even at a distance in a crappy picture, you can tell the centerstand is beat to hell.
9) the front fork looks "off" in that picture of the front tire. Maybe not, but it's hard to say for sure from the angle
10) "No fluids in it" is a convenient excuse for why it's not running at the moment. Too convenient, if you ask me...
11) It looks like it might have a high beam indicator on top of the headset (can't say 100%), but 1962 bikes didn't have that, full stop. That didn't show up until later.

Others can jump in to add more, but as I said over in your original intro thread, read the Bodgespotting thread and look at the pictures (some of them are annotated, which will be very helpful early on) until you can spot at least the major features.

I'll leave the black one to you as an exercise to get started

Don't let this dissuade you--many people have started their Vintage journey looking at bodges, but once you develop an eye for the aesthetic, they'll start to look ugly as hell to you, too.
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:46 pm

Addicted
A box of parts
Joined: 30 Jul 2009
Posts: 711
Location: San Francisco, CA
 
Addicted
A box of parts
Joined: 30 Jul 2009
Posts: 711
Location: San Francisco, CA
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:46 pm linkquote
Those bikes aren't original at all.

That's the problem with them. They're all after-market parts, many of them not correct for the model.

A lot of them are assembled from parts, and low-quality reproduction parts.

The only things original on a lot of them are the frame, headset, and sometimes the engine casings.

Paint and body filler can hide a lot. And you can't tell without sandblasting them.

But they're restored to look pretty, and not really be ridden. And sell to Americans who think they're valuable collectors items.

You see so many now. They're impulse buys, then get ridden 10 miles.

If you can find one cheap, might be fun. $5500 for that Super is way too much.

Here's probably a good reference for the restoration process. This is beautiful work, and it's great to save them from the salvage yard.
but.

In the US, you can find lots of Vespas in original condition. Like this one. Still has original paint, and all its original parts.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/190450202903016



Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:58 pm

Member
Joined: 30 Apr 2021
Posts: 6
Location: Jacksonville, FL
 
Member
Joined: 30 Apr 2021
Posts: 6
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:58 pm linkquote
chandlerman wrote:
dsnyder586 wrote:
Whats wrong with them is not visible in a picture *clues* are in the pictures.
Yup. There are some things that *could* be legit, but only are legit in very special, specific cases, neither of which are these bikes. Other things are, for some reason, recurring bits of workmanship that you get to know after looking at enough of these. Others are just the result an experienced eyes, even looking at those tiny pictures, and others still are as much about what is NOT being shown in the pictures.

So let's look at that red one real quick (because I only have a couple minutes, so this may not get completed)
1) Legshield glovebox on a Super. Only happens on a bodge. Someone correct me on the details here, but I believe that the only bikes with both a legshield and cowling glovebox were some Bajaj Sprints, and even then, it had a different shape to the glovebox, much boxier for carrying larger things than that one.
2) Chromed fork top. Always seem to show up on bodges
3) Key under the gas tank. Bodge.
4) the uber-shiny two-stage paint. Doesn't mean it's a bodge, but budges all use two-stage paint when an actual restoration would be single-stage.
5) No picture of the motor, so we can't see the electrical, CDI/Coil, closeup of the shifter or kickstart, etc.
6) The floor mat (and thus probably the tunnel/floorboards) very likely came off a post-1979 pike, i.e. a PX of some sort
7) You can barely see the seams of the frame due to heavy skim-coating
8) Even at a distance in a crappy picture, you can tell the centerstand is beat to hell.
9) the front fork looks "off" in that picture of the front tire. Maybe not, but it's hard to say for sure from the angle
10) "No fluids in it" is a convenient excuse for why it's not running at the moment. Too convenient, if you ask me...
11) It looks like it might have a high beam indicator on top of the headset (can't say 100%), but 1962 bikes didn't have that, full stop. That didn't show up until later.

Others can jump in to add more, but as I said over in your original intro thread, read the Bodgespotting thread and look at the pictures (some of them are annotated, which will be very helpful early on) until you can spot at least the major features.

I'll leave the black one to you as an exercise to get started

Don't let this dissuade you--many people have started their Vintage journey looking at bodges, but once you develop an eye for the aesthetic, they'll start to look ugly as hell to you, too.
Thank you for the very detailed list of specifics! Experience has no equal. I appreciate your input and knowledge. It is discouraging to see SO MANY of these like this when SO MANY were made. I think everything I've looked at is junk. And I am going through that 3,000+ posted thread.

I did not see any vintage bikes on here. What reputable places would you recommend me looking at for these scooters? I know Scooter West but that's all.

Thank you again for your time and help!
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:01 pm

Member
Joined: 30 Apr 2021
Posts: 6
Location: Jacksonville, FL
 
Member
Joined: 30 Apr 2021
Posts: 6
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:01 pm linkquote
hjo wrote:
Those bikes aren't original at all.

That's the problem with them. They're all after-market parts, many of them not correct for the model.

A lot of them are assembled from parts, and low-quality reproduction parts.

The only things original on a lot of them are the frame, headset, and sometimes the engine casings.

Paint and body filler can hide a lot. And you can't tell without sandblasting them.

But they're restored to look pretty, and not really be ridden. And sell to Americans who think they're valuable collectors items.

You see so many now. They're impulse buys, then get ridden 10 miles.

If you can find one cheap, might be fun. $5500 for that Super is way too much.

Here's probably a good reference for the restoration process. This is beautiful work, and it's great to save them from the salvage yard.
but.

In the US, you can find lots of Vespas in original condition. Like this one. Still has original paint, and all its original parts.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/190450202903016
Thanks so much! I have a lot to learn. Been doing research all week. Thanks for your knowledge!
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:21 pm

Ossessionato
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
Joined: 02 Aug 2015
Posts: 2371
Location: Veria, Greece
 
Ossessionato
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
Joined: 02 Aug 2015
Posts: 2371
Location: Veria, Greece
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:21 pm linkquote
The video is a perfect example of a bodge job. Just the engine rebuild had me cringe. Not a single new part in there and the engine already had a lot of bodge job done to it cause of excessive wear. Just pause and look at the worn out and rewelded bearing seats. This is the whole idea, slap on some really nice paint job on everything, have the engine working just to ride for 20 - 100 miles before blowing up and sell it to an unsuspected victim...
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:44 pm

Addicted
A box of parts
Joined: 30 Jul 2009
Posts: 711
Location: San Francisco, CA
 
Addicted
A box of parts
Joined: 30 Jul 2009
Posts: 711
Location: San Francisco, CA
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:44 pm linkquote
SaFiS wrote:
The video is a perfect example of a bodge job. Just the engine rebuild had me cringe. Not a single new part in there and the engine already had a lot of bodge job done to it cause of excessive wear. Just pause and look at the worn out and rewelded bearing seats. This is the whole idea, slap on some really nice paint job on everything, have the engine working just to ride for 20 - 100 miles before blowing up and sell it to an unsuspected victim...
And the frame. It's a million rough welds and hammer marks, all covered in a thick coat of body filler.

I've seen some of those for sale here, where the paint is flaking off in big chunks. Or the restorations are a few years old and already look incredibly weathered. Even the pretty paint is often very short shelf life.







Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:28 pm

Hooked
2005 et4
Joined: 23 May 2015
Posts: 485
Location: oshawa ontario canada
 
Hooked
2005 et4
Joined: 23 May 2015
Posts: 485
Location: oshawa ontario canada
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:28 pm linkquote
[/quote] tumamilhem

I did not see any vintage bikes on here. What reputable places would you recommend me looking at for these scooters? I know Scooter West but that's all.

Thank you again for your time and help![/quote]



Try and find a local Vespa club near you if possible. The members can help you search and steer you clear of any bodges
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:51 pm

Hooked
1958 Allstate 177VMC, 2005 70cc Yamaha Vino
Joined: 23 Aug 2020
Posts: 410
Location: Philadelphia
 
Hooked
1958 Allstate 177VMC, 2005 70cc Yamaha Vino
Joined: 23 Aug 2020
Posts: 410
Location: Philadelphia
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:51 pm linkquote
chandlerman wrote:
11) It looks like it might have a high beam indicator on top of the headset (can't say 100%), but 1962 bikes didn't have that, full stop. That didn't show up until later.
My 58 Allstate has the high beam indicator though?
Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:12 pm

Enthusiast
1979 Vespa P200E
Joined: 08 Feb 2010
Posts: 57
Location: San Jose, CA
 
Enthusiast
1979 Vespa P200E
Joined: 08 Feb 2010
Posts: 57
Location: San Jose, CA
Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:12 pm linkquote
hjo wrote:
This is surprising.

Mixed in with Bello Moto's huge collection of super rare bikes, is this.

https://www.bellomoto.com/1975-vespa-sprint-veloce-bv13
What a clown joke!!! Their good stuff is way overpriced and now peddling junk at their typical deluded prices. Jeez
Sat May 01, 2021 6:03 am

Member
Joined: 30 Apr 2021
Posts: 6
Location: Jacksonville, FL
 
Member
Joined: 30 Apr 2021
Posts: 6
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Sat May 01, 2021 6:03 am linkquote
duane1 wrote:
tumamilhem

I did not see any vintage bikes on here. What reputable places would you recommend me looking at for these scooters? I know Scooter West but that's all.

Thank you again for your time and help![/quote]



Try and find a local Vespa club near you if possible. The members can help you search and steer you clear of any bodges[/quote]

I wish. Nothing close to me. Even the one cycle shop that sells them only has 4 new models. And I live in the biggest city in the US and by the beach whete scooters would be preferred.
Sat May 01, 2021 6:18 am

Ossessionato
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella
Joined: 16 Jun 2011
Posts: 3481
Location: Nashville
 
Ossessionato
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella
Joined: 16 Jun 2011
Posts: 3481
Location: Nashville
Sat May 01, 2021 6:18 am linkquote
Ironically, two of my bikes (my VBB and GL) came to me originally from Florida.
  DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  

All Content Copyright 2005-2021 by Modern Vespa. All Rights Reserved.

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

Shop on Amazon Smile with Modern Vespa

[ Time: 0.9200s ][ Queries: 28 (0.8982s) ][ Debug on ][ 198 ][ Thing Two ]