Vespa GTS 300 HPE Supertech
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
GTS 300 HPE Supertech
Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:37 am quote
First I would like to say HELLO to all the members and thank you for letting me join.

I have just bought, on the 7th July, a Vespa GTS 300 HPE Supertech, nice shiny black in colour like my Primavera. Two hours before I was booked to pick it up from the dealers they called to say they had found two bodywork issues, asked if I could come and take a look. One was where the headlight fits, not quite right and the other, a mark I couldn't see on the left hand side panel, we agreed they should be done under warranty and gave me a letter and photo's to confirm this. When I picked it u later I did a steady 50km before going home, all ok.

Next day I decided to check oil's, fluids and tire pressures, all ok then I took most of the afternoon setting the Supertech screen up and putting the app on my phone. I noted that when I started the engine and moved the scooter the ABS light went out but the ASR icon stayed on, tried pushing the ASR switch but nothing changed. I did a general search on the net and found it's quite a common problem, this Forum and others including "Robot" on Scooterwest YouTube videos detailed ways to reset the ASR and it's also covered in the handbook. I tried, got the ASR light flashing slowly, must have done quite a few kilometers at 30kph but no luck the light stayed on. During this process the amber engine management light came on, so I called the dealers who asked me to bring it in.

They dealt with the fault, engine management light out and I mentioned the ASR light being on. This is normal I was told, maybe needs a software update or something the only English speaking Mechanic says. I said no, if it's on the ASR system is not working, that's ok you can go faster he says. I decide not to get angry and show him a piece of broken plastic I'd found while cleaning the scooter, he has a look around and finds one of the plastic skirts is broken, under warranty procedure again.

On Saturday I did over 200km with no further problems other than the ASR icon showing all the time. I'm concerned that the ASR system is not working at all or have I missed something? Does anyone know if a software update is due/needed or even available or any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any help or pointing me in the right direction and I hope any further posts I make are a lot shorter.

Peter
Hooked
Gts 300
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:40 am quote
Welcome
From Israel PeterBandu! If I were you I would try again to recalibrate the asr. Often happens especially on new GTS, I mean when receiving it new from the dealer. Happened to a friend. I helped hime recalibrate twice and it worked. Follow precisely the -not so clear- instructions from the user manual.
Btw on this forum we do like pics especially of a new GTS Supertech in your luxuriant country.
Keep us updated and enjoy it!
Hooked
GTS 300 ABS, 2018
Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:24 am quote
If you changed tyre pressure, you have to recalibrate ASR. Check the manual for procedure. I am convinced that your News bike is OK. Sometimes several recalibration required, as I have heard and read from users. Cheer up !
GTS 300 HPE Supertech
Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:43 am quote
ASR Update
Hello, finally got my ASR system working properly this morning, the dealer with a little pointing in the right direction finally got there. Now, I got a phone call on Saturday to attend the dealers as a senior Manager from head office wished to see my paintwork issue and panels that needed replacing, unfortunately we were away for the weekend, can you come on Monday.

I thought they would need to keep the scooter for a few days so my Partner came along to give me a lift home, but no, after a two month wait only one of the panels had arrived, right side skirting so it wouldn't take long. When it had been fitted I noted that it was the wrong one, my skirt is black with two yellow stripes, this was just black. Sorry we will have to re order the correct one, maybe take two months we will call you. Then I was presented with a fuel card, value about 50USD and asked if there were anymore problems, fix the ASR which they did, I noted that the Mechanic had to return to the dealers twice to reset the engine fault indicator and that he had travelled over 15km to achieve this, let's hope it lasts.

Take care out there,

Peter
GTS 300 HPE Supertech
Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:06 pm quote
Good morning from North Thailand, just an update really, all the outstanding issues with my Scooter now sorted out by the local dealer.

Last week I noticed my rear tire kept losing air pressure, about 5psi a day so I had a good look at it, checked for leaks with soapy water but nothing found. The tire was a Maxxis brand made in Vietnam and had done just over 4,000km. I ordered some Slime and thought about using this in both tires but by the time it had arrived I'd decided to put new tires on the scooter. There's only one place here that stocks decent tires and I'd used the shop before, so off I go. I thought about Pirelli Angels, none available but he had Bridgestone Battlax SC which he recommended, so I had a pair of these fitted. I've only done 100km but thee ride quality is noticeably better.

Now, the reason I didn't use Slime in the tires, I had a good look at both tires and estimated that I'd probably get another 1,000km out of them, then have to renew them anyway. So, after doing a bit of research on various Forums I decided to put new tires on, then leave them for about 200km to bed in, advice from the shop, then add the Slime hoping that this would give me a longer puncture free riding experience.

I'm still trying to find the correct recommended tire pressures for these tires, the shop said 29/31psi for the front, 35/37 rear and that feels good.

Comments and advice welcome,

Peter H
GTS 300 HPE Supertech
Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:16 pm quote
ASR Update
Just remembered this after posting, a senior moment.

After having the new tires fitted I expected to have to reset/recalibrate the ASR system but I didn't have to. It works ok and I can switch it on and off, only done 100km though.

In hope it stays that way.

Peter H
Molto Verboso
Gina, 1965 Vespa 180SS, Bella,1968 Vespa 150 Super, Francesca, 2006 Vespa LX150, Sofia, 2007 Vespa GT200, Gabriella, 2017 GTS300 ABS
Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:51 pm quote
Generally, and I stand to be corrected, the handbook for the large frame modern Vespas recommend 1.8 bar and 2.0 bar for rider only and 2.2 in the rear with a pillion.
GTS 300 HPE Supertech
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:54 pm quote
I agree what the manual says
Hello, yes those are the pressures in the Vespa manual, just looking for any variance in the manufacturers spec's.

Peter H
Hooked
Supertech 2019 (EURO3/APAC)
Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:33 pm quote
New bikes from the factory don't have the ASR calibrated. It is common for dealers to not calibrate ASR upon delivery. This is why the new owners see the ASR icon showing and mistakenly think there is a fault.

Follow the instructions in the manual *carefully* to calibrate. It took me a few goes and re-reading the manual to get the hang of this.

When changing pressure or replacing the tire the bike will *not* tell you that you need to recalibrate (show the icon) as it can't detect the change. But you *still* have to recalibrate for ASR to work correctly.

My suggested tire pressure is 26/27 front and 28/29 rear but this willl vary for driver weight and which tires you have.
GTS 300 HPE Supertech
Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:38 am quote
Re Calibrated ASR after fitting new tires
I finally got round to recalibrating the ASR system after fitting new tires, something I was not looking forward to after my initial attempts when I first bought the scooter. I was advised by the shop to let the new tires settle in for about 250km which I have done, then I decided to put Slime in both of the tires 6.2 oz as per the website calculator.

It's pretty rural where I live, lots of small roads not ideal for carrying out the procedure, but we live near a large University, lots of flat quiet roads. I found a nice stretch of road, followed the instructions and success the first time, still can't believe it, but well worth doing. Thanks for Steelbyts and others for pointing out that I needed to recalibrate the ASR even though it was not indicating any fault or need to.

Peter
  DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.0646s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0258s) ][ Debug on ][ Thing Two ]