GL headlamp connectors
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Evil
86 T5, 71 Sprint, 63 GL
Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:30 pm quote
Working on headset electricals for 63 GL. I had to start from scratch with this headset. I ordered a trapezoid headlight, found a speedo, new tubes, grips. Iím using a BGM wiring harness and P200 motor, no battery, no autolube, no turn signals. I got some advice from Mattgyver over at Mercado for the engine/stator wiring. (Thanks Matt). Now Iím dealing with the headset.
The directions from BGM for the headlight are basically ďthese 4 wires to headlampĒ Iím not sure about the type of connectors to use, maybe bullet type?
Here are some photos of what Iím dealing with.
Female connectors on light receptacle are 5.5 mm diameter
If anyone has dealt with the BGM conversion, or the Elma headlight connections, I could use the help
Thanks

Headlight socket

SIP connectors, which I donít have

Part of harness that goes to headlight

The rest of headset wiring, ( some wires are probably not needed)

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x 2), 74 Primavera (x 2), 06 Fly 150
Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:32 pm quote
Here's the diagram. Those are the correct connectors. The wires also look correct.

Do you have a switch?

Molto Verboso
Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:36 pm quote
Re: GL headlamp connectors
Vpfalcon wrote:
Working on headset electricals for 63 GL. I had to start from scratch with this headset. I ordered a trapezoid headlight, found a speedo, new tubes, grips. Iím using a BGM wiring harness and P200 motor, no battery, no autolube, no turn signals. I got some advice from Mattgyver over at Mercado for the engine/stator wiring. (Thanks Matt). Now Iím dealing with the headset.
The directions from BGM for the headlight are basically ďthese 4 wires to headlampĒ Iím not sure about the type of connectors to use, maybe bullet type?
Here are some photos of what Iím dealing with.
Female connectors on light receptacle are 5.5 mm diameter
If anyone has dealt with the BGM conversion, or the Elma headlight connections, I could use the help
Thanks
who did you buy the harness from? Did you try with them first?
Evil
86 T5, 71 Sprint, 63 GL
Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:39 pm quote
I got the harness from Mercado, the headlamp from SiP, sip probably also has the correct connectors, Iíll try to order them thru Mercado.
Evil
86 T5, 71 Sprint, 63 GL
Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:40 pm quote
I do have a 12 volt switch
bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x 2), 74 Primavera (x 2), 06 Fly 150
Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:16 pm quote
I donít think the switch cares if 6 or 12V is going through it ... youíre not running a battery are you?
Molto Verboso
Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:29 am quote
Vpfalcon wrote:
I got the harness from Mercado, the headlamp from SiP, sip probably also has the correct connectors, Iíll try to order them thru Mercado.
ScooterMercato should be able to give you full tech support on it. Have you tried calling them?
Ossessionato
2015 GTS300, 1974 Primavera, 04 Ninja 250
Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:08 am quote
These guys kill it. Get the crimper too. Those are standard bullet connectors.

http://vintageconnections.com/
Addicted
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge
Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:32 am quote
The wires coming out the headset screws into your 12v switch. The separate wires screws into the 12v switch and back out to the headset for the headlights and speedo light. The wires with the circle is the ground to the headset.

You will need bullet connectors as mentioned but prob can find them at a hardware store, or on Amazon for faster delivery vs SIP. I'm not aware of an aftermarket wiring loom having the bullet connectors for a GL headlight. You may need bullet connectors for you horn as some original horns had bullet connectors.

Depending on the switch you're using, the wiring diagram below may help with the wire colors going to the switch and back out to the headset. If the colors don't match a multimeter will help verifying where the wires are coming from.
Also, this diagram has detail for different types of switches. https://studylib.net/doc/18653785/beedspeed-conversion-wiring-diagram-for-rally--sprint

Looking at your SIP pic of the headlight plug, the high and low beam bulb for headlights goes on the bottom socket and has two connectors for the bulb. The switch purple wires goes on the left and the switch brown wire goes to the right. The socket above is the pilot light and the blue wire goes to the bulb from the switch. I will have to research the last connection on the headlight plug which I think is a ground.

I hope that can get you started until more info is available.
Evil
86 T5, 71 Sprint, 63 GL
Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:06 am quote
ScooterMercato should be able to give you full tech support on it. Have you tried calling them?[/quote]
Thanks Gickspeed,
Mercato support has been awesome. I see now that they sell the socket, ($6) for the headlight that I have, and Iím betting that it uses spade connectors which is what is on the wiring loom.
Thanks to Rowdy and SoCal too!

Evil
86 T5, 71 Sprint, 63 GL
Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:38 pm quote
The auto shop that works on my car had the connectors, they put them on for me too, no charge. The wiring diagrams helped a lot. I think I have the switch and lighting wired correctly. Iím waiting now for a speedometer bracket, the one on my repop speedo is wrong, couldnít install the headlight because the incorrect bracket was in the way.

Wrong

Correct bracket

DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.0461s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0204s) ][ Debug on ][ Thing Two ]