Sat May 20, 2017 11:52 am

Lurker
Piaggio MP3 ie 300 LT

Lurker
Piaggio MP3 ie 300 LT
Sat May 20, 2017 11:52 am linkquote
I have a problem with the tilt-lock on my MP3 300. Reading the forums I can see that a lot of people have had similar problems, but I think my case is different enough to warrant a new post.

The bike is on the stand and the tilt-lock is engaged.

When I turn the ignition on and start it, it starts normally.

If I, however, throttle or manually unlock the tilt-lock it beeps constantly until I switch the ignition key off. Tapping unlock two times–a tip I found in a forum post–does nothing.

So for I've tried:
removing the lock switch and cleaning it
It works a lot better now (boy was it dirty) but I still get the beep.

unplugging the potentiomete
This makes the bike beep constantly as soon as I turn the ignition key. When I plugged it back in it kept on beeping.

It has been raining pretty heavily the last few days and understand the potentiometer in these bikes doesn't like that very much so I want to bring it in for service, but I can't unlock the tilt-lock! Unplugging the potentiometer makes me believe it being the part that has failed.

Is there a way for me to manually disengage the tilt-lock so that I can at least deliver in to my local dealer?

I've scanned the service manual for clues but didn't find anything really helpful
Sat May 20, 2017 11:57 pm

Ossessionato
2016 MP3/500 Sport ABS, 2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie

Ossessionato
2016 MP3/500 Sport ABS, 2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
Sat May 20, 2017 11:57 pm linkquote
Check your Battery...
The MP3 is not forgiving on battery voltage variance.
Having multiple bikes, all using the same battery.
I always have a spare one to install to test with.

My next thought would be fluid levels possibly for the Tilt-Lock.
Most folks get a MP3, ride it and never do maintenance on their Fluids.
Brakes, Tilt-Lock, Coolant should be replaced every 2 years.

Auto Parts stores here in the US sell a Dielectric Grease commonly used for light bulb connections. Get a tube of this and use it on your electrical connections. Whenever I have mine apart for maintenance, I use this stuff on connections.
I am not a fan of riding in the rain, but I do get caught sometime. I never considered the MP3 to be very good for keeping the rain out of electrical components.

Manual Disengage? Push your Tilt-Lock switch to the Right two times fast.
You will get a Beep Beep, and it will unlock. Be careful to not do this when not on Center Stand or be Sitting on it, "Down she comes..."
Whenever I park, on the center stand, I do this to remove the pressure for extended periods. Having multiple bikes, I may use one this week, and the other the following week. I sort of pick which bike I am going to uses based on where I am going. I love using the MP3/250 for going to work. The MP3/500 when doing Interstate Highway, Long Distance. The GTS is sort of my Parade Bike, or when riding with friends that have smaller bikes.

Keith,
Marietta, GA
Sun May 21, 2017 4:44 am

Lurker
Piaggio MP3 ie 300 LT

Lurker
Piaggio MP3 ie 300 LT
Sun May 21, 2017 4:44 am linkquote
The battery indicator on the bike, when running, tells me it's ~13.7V. Only have one bike so no spare. Can probably borrow a multi-meter to test, though I get a sense that the only real way to test it is to replace.

Pressing the lock to the right fast does nothing other than the beep stopping for less than half a second every once in a while, while I'm repeatedly pressing the button to the right.

The bike gets regular service and in fact had it's 20k service just a few weeks ago. I checked the left and right fluids on the handlebar and they seem fine. There is a fluid indicatur under the front shield also–one with only a minimum indicator–and it's full to the brim.

My theory was that the potentiometer had failed. This I gathered from the fact that the bike beeps immediately when the ignition is in the on position when the potentiometer is unplugged. When I tear the front shield off I see that there is tension on the wire on the device the potentiometer is plugged in to. From the forum posts I'm assuming there is an electric motor above it that tensions the wire and if I was able to remove the tension the tilt-lock would disengage and I would be able to drive the bike to a service center.
Sun May 21, 2017 5:13 am

Lurker
Piaggio MP3 ie 300 LT

Lurker
Piaggio MP3 ie 300 LT
Sun May 21, 2017 5:13 am linkquote
A multimeter measures 12.38V
Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:38 am

Lurker
2014 MP3

Lurker
2014 MP3
Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:38 am linkquote
Same problem
Did you ever get this fixed?

I just bought a secondhand MP3, 2014 model (6900km), and after a few trips it started doing more or less the same thing:
When driving and leaning far to the right, the red tilt-lock light comes on and it will start continuously beeping (just a continuous sound), the only way to stop the beeping is to turn the ignition key off and back on.

Sometimes the beeping will continue even after turning off and on again, when this happens the bike starts but motor does not want to go (I suspect this is just a safety measure). I have found that in this case, turning off again and leaning the bike over far to the right and brining it upright again has solved the beeping everytime so far.

Resetting by pressing the lock button twice does nothing.

I did check the roll-lock fluid and it was just above the min level, I topped it up as I thought this could have been the cause (especially as leaning to the side causes the beeping to start), the problem stayed the same.

The battery voltage on the display has always been above 12V, I‘ve seen it at 14V when running. I‘ll charge the battery overnight just in case.

Any ideas?
Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:39 pm

Lurker
Piaggio MP3 250ie

Lurker
Piaggio MP3 250ie
Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:39 pm linkquote
Check your fuses as well check your engine control and check your voltage regulator fuses that's what was wrong with mine and I have a MP3 250
Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:27 pm

Lurker
2014 MP3

Lurker
2014 MP3
Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:27 pm linkquote
Thanks AngelickGoose777,

before reading your post I came to the conclusion today that the „leaning to the side“-action fixing the problem could rather have been due to the time it took me to get off the bike, lean it from side-to-side and turn it on again. I think the problem is rather due to the battery / bad contacts somewhere.

We were out on it today and the problem occurred, we stopped somewhere, went for a walk, came back and the bike was not happy, started beeping the moment I turned on the ignition (tilt-lock was not engaged, stood on the stand). Thereafter the leaning did not help at all, waiting a while did though, when it started fine after a while we could only go a few hundred meters before it started beeping continuously.

I took a good look at the wiring diagram in the Workshop Manual, took off the nose cover and had a look at the connections in the system, the bike is in a very good, clean condition. Disconnecting either the limit switch or potentiometer causes exactly the same continuous beep I experienced, it can also be triggered by pressing the limit switch by hand whilst the tilt lock is disengaged. I then checked all the plug connections, roughed up any pins that looked like they could have a build-up of sorts and sprayed a multi-purpose lubrication (like Q20). I then went for a drive, stopping and engaging / disengaging the tilt-lock twice. All OK until I got home, engaged the lock, turned off the bike, put it on its stand, turned it on and disengaged the tilit lock, beeeeep...

I then read your post and looked at the fuses, roughed up all their pins one-by-one, and took out the battery to give it a charge, noticed the battery is from 2018 so I‘ll replace it (I also noticed it getting down to 10.9V today).

After that, if the problem persists I think I might try to create an OBD connection to the bike to see if it reports a problem of sorts, have not looked into what exactly this entails though, for now I hope replacing the battery and cleaning the contacts/fuses does the trick.
Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:45 am

Lurker
2014 MP3

Lurker
2014 MP3
Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:45 am linkquote
So it seems like that solved it, this is what I did:
1. Cleaned all the plugs (electrical connections) of the tilt lock system (potentiometer, limit switch, motor) by roughing up the pins to remove any corrosion/build up and spraying a multi purpose lubricant on them.
2. Cleaned (same process) all the pins of all the fuses, there was some visible brownish/blackish build up on them.
3. Replaced the battery, even after a charge of the old battery the problem seemed to be gone (only had one ride with it though) but I did not want to risk getting stranded far out so considering its age, I just replaced it.

Thanks again for the help and forum, it is a great resource for MP3 owners.
  DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  

All Content Copyright 2005-2021 by Modern Vespa. All Rights Reserved.

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

Shop on Amazon Smile with Modern Vespa
[ Time: 0.0397s ][ Queries: 22 (0.0191s) ][ Debug on ][ 156 ][ Thing Two ]