Scruffy AllState, crappy headlight finally fixed!
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous123
Ossessionato
62 VBB1T Round Tail W/ leaner sidecar
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:58 pm quote
Voodoo - Loved this post.
I can just imagine the moment.
Say - are those from an Allstate?
What's that - you broke the light?
What are you doing with the old parts?
Well - yes I would - thank you.

Great find.
Repatriated.
Style Maven
74 50s x3 78 P200 x2 84 Cosa PK50XL2 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special '66(?) Super125
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:35 pm quote
CM you nailed it. A neighbor I've known had an old Vespa for many years, but a new job kept him from doing anything much but start it up a few times each year. He has finally retired like me and wanted help with his speedo, so he got in touch. It turned out that his inner was busted and the outer too short, but the speedo itself worked fine with a drill and when I pulled the speedo gear all teeth were intact. I happen to have a brand new small diameter speedo cable set so he now has a working speedo and is amazed the original speedo still works fine.

We had to remove his headlight and split his headset to run the new cable and he remarked that he'd had to replace the whole headlight when he broke the lens in San Francisco in the early eighties. He walked into the local big Vespa shop expecting no luck on an old obsolete model from the fifties.

"You wouldn't have a new Siem headlite for those rare old split headset models, would you?"

"How many do you want?"

Same with some other odd old bits as well he said, they were very WELL stocked!

Then he shows me the one he busted, I walked outside where my AllState was parked and the rim fit my headset like it was MADE for it(OK, it was), so no more shameful BODGE!

How well this all fit into my subtle scheme:
V oodoo Mar 28, 2017 wrote:
I don't want to use a repop or even a new Siem for this, same w/ the speedo. The only new stuff used so far are a budget performance 3 port top end and seals, gaskets in the motor and fork bearings, all cables, levers and most of the rubber on the bike. Crank, bearings, clutch and everything else in the motor & on the bike is cherry picked used.
I prefer to use original parts still in serviceable condition where I can.

Last edited by V oodoo on Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Style Maven
74 50s x3 78 P200 x2 84 Cosa PK50XL2 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special '66(?) Super125
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:43 pm quote
Ray8 wrote:
Glad you posted this. We have VERY similar bikes.
Going through what you went through with your exhaust. New Pollini box hitting pavement like crazy (with wife in back only, so far )
I see some room to raise it, maybe move the center stand spring to avoid the pirate ship sound while parking, while I'm at it.

Did you modify your underseat choke?
Are you still on eights w/ a P motor or on tens?

Yeah, I think I had to move the centerstand spring to one side for best effect.

And how did you guess???

I didn't want to drill any holes in the usual place so I used an existing hole and a lever off a bike wheel hub. There's just enough friction to hold it but when the motor starts, the vibration provides automatic return

stealth choke

Enthusiast
1959 Allstate w P125x Engine
Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:52 pm quote
V oodoo wrote:
Ray8 wrote:
Glad you posted this. We have VERY similar bikes.
Going through what you went through with your exhaust. New Pollini box hitting pavement like crazy (with wife in back only, so far )
I see some room to raise it, maybe move the center stand spring to avoid the pirate ship sound while parking, while I'm at it.

Did you modify your underseat choke?
Are you still on eights w/ a P motor or on tens?

Yeah, I think I had to move the centerstand spring to one side for best effect.

And how did you guess???

I didn't want to drill any holes in the usual place so I used an existing hole and a lever off a bike wheel hub. There's just enough friction to hold it but when the motor starts, the vibration provides automatic return
Great idea. I wanted to get a bench seat, but the choke lever connects to the original seat hub. Couldn't figure how to bury the lever under a bench seat. That, or drill a hole for a later style choke. That is your original choke hole, btw.
And yeah, I'm still on 8's. Gearing is wacky, as I'm sure you know. Another project in waiting.
  DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous123
[ Time: 0.0984s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0680s) ][ Debug on ][ Thing Two ]