UTC

Molto Verboso
1958 Allstate 177VMC, 1962 Allstate, Yamaha Vino 70cc

Molto Verboso
1958 Allstate 177VMC, 1962 Allstate, Yamaha Vino 70cc
UTC quote
That is one large crack!
Really sucks, but hopefully it's weldable.
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate

108 Days Since Last Explosion

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
And the hits just keep on coming.

QAScooter sent me a couple of VBB top ends and the box arrived empty. It'd been ripped open on one end and taped back up with an apology from the USPS.

#FML
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@ray8 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@ray8 avatar
UTC quote
SoCalGuy wrote:
A talented welder can fix the case. Pretty sure it's curtains for the phone though.
I could fix that case, but if it were mine I'd toss it. Those cast cases are like eggshells, super strong until cracked
@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)

Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
And the hits just keep on coming.

QAScooter sent me a couple of VBB top ends and the box arrived empty. It'd been ripped open on one end and taped back up with an apology from the USPS.

#FML
WOW! - THAT SUCKS! I was wondering why it was taking so long to get to you. I'll get your shipping returned via paypal - PM me your email, and I'll get to filling out a claim. That is just wrong. The worse part is I put some very cool magnetic stickers in that box for you - spaceshuttle era stuff - I think I'm more pissed about that than the cylinders!

Six months ago I had an aluminum track, 8' long, medical track for a lift, which means ten times more expensive than normal, disappear via UPS. The driver hands me an empty box and says "Boy, that box sure is light". Good thing I was there to have it handed to me, so I could refuse the package.

Such a shame....
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
No need to worry about getting me back on the shipping. it's not your fault some asshole felt the need to steal it, then (I'm sure) trash the contents.

I'd have been digging those stickers, too

CM2, your letter got here just fine, so it's not all doom n' gloom at Casa Chandlerman.
@geeklion avatar
UTC

The Dude
Too Many piles of Junk that need too much work and too much money

The Dude
@geeklion avatar
UTC quote
I really think every-single-MV'r is hurting for you right now! I had a literal out loud "oh no" moment...

But EVERTYTHING can be fixed, one way or another. Even if it means full replacement Give Gickspeed a shot. Seen him repair some pretty far gone stuff.
@oopsclunkthud avatar
UTC

Banned
3:5

Banned
@oopsclunkthud avatar
3:5
UTC quote
Christmas 2019 I had a 1955 MotoBi Ardizio engine heading to me from Italy, after searching for ~3 years. The shipping alone was $350, but it's not like I could find one closer.

Post office made one delivery attempt and then put it on a flight back to Italy. contact the seller, provide the info, wait for it to arrive in Italy, claim filed...

Covid!

About June things were ok enough to try and ship again. tracking, has left Italy, wait, wait, wait, wait, still not received by USPS, wait, Delivered! (but still does not show as even received by USPS)

Unpack it and it's been dropped at least 4 times. Fins on head are broken on both sides, motor mounts are busted off the bottom, flywheel cover shattered.

Put it on the shelf and called it a sucky year. Sometimes I think I was put on this earth to watch my good intentions destroy nice things.
@pheasant_plucker avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
bare metal cafe racer

Molto Verboso
@pheasant_plucker avatar
bare metal cafe racer
UTC quote
Scooting to work this morning in a light rain. Coming down a hill on a main road that curves left and need to turn right - the corner sucks as the bank and island are all against the turn. Moved into the turning lane and as I was slowing found my rear sliding out... then the front was sliding. Put both feet down and was sliding on all four points - pretty sure I went from one side to the other like I was on ice. I could feel how slippery the tarmac was through my shoes. Fortunately I wasn't going fast at all and came to a stop avoiding the down (and before sliding into oncoming traffic - I was getting ready to drop). Reckon I hit oil or similar. Crazy experience. Bike was skittish for a few 100m like the tyres (and shoes) were coated - then all good. Unfortunately think my helmet cam was out of battery - was rushing and hadn't checked. Did phone it into the police to check cause that corner is evil without being lubed up.
@geeklion avatar
UTC

The Dude

The Dude
@geeklion avatar
UTC quote
Dang! Glad to hear you're ok! Great job and swift reacting to save yourself in that slide. Scary I'm sure! Thankfully it was just that, only scary. Good thinking to call it in, possibly someone else will be saved from a wipe out.
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator
VNB VSC 09C VMA VSX - vbc vmb

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
UTC quote
man the horror stories on this thread recently... yikes.
UTC

Hooked
Rat 2003 Stella 2T; 1979 P125x (in pieces, out for paint)

Hooked
Rat 2003 Stella 2T; 1979 P125x (in pieces, out for paint)
UTC quote
oopsclunkthud wrote:
Christmas 2019 I had a 1955 MotoBi Ardizio engine heading to me from Italy, after searching for ~3 years. The shipping alone was $350, but it's not like I could find one closer.

Post office made one delivery attempt and then put it on a flight back to Italy. contact the seller, provide the info, wait for it to arrive in Italy, claim filed...

Covid!

About June things were ok enough to try and ship again. tracking, has left Italy, wait, wait, wait, wait, still not received by USPS, wait, Delivered! (but still does not show as even received by USPS)

Unpack it and it's been dropped at least 4 times. Fins on head are broken on both sides, motor mounts are busted off the bottom, flywheel cover shattered.

Put it on the shelf and called it a sucky year. Sometimes I think I was put on this earth to watch my good intentions destroy nice things.
This sounds like DHL was involved...
@vpfalcon avatar
UTC

Addicted
86 T5,

Addicted
@vpfalcon avatar
86 T5,
UTC quote
pheasant plucker wrote:
Scooting to work this morning in a light rain. Coming down a hill on a main road that curves left and need to turn right - the corner sucks as the bank and island are all against the turn. Moved into the turning lane and as I was slowing found my rear sliding out... then the front was sliding. Put both feet down and was sliding on all four points - pretty sure I went from one side to the other like I was on ice. I could feel how slippery the tarmac was through my shoes. Fortunately I wasn't going fast at all and came to a stop avoiding the down (and before sliding into oncoming traffic - I was getting ready to drop). Reckon I hit oil or similar. Crazy experience. Bike was skittish for a few 100m like the tyres (and shoes) were coated - then all good. Unfortunately think my helmet cam was out of battery - was rushing and hadn't checked. Did phone it into the police to check cause that corner is evil without being lubed up.
Glad you're okay, sounds scary.
@charlieman22 avatar
UTC

Nedminder
62 VBB1T Round Tail W/ leaner sidecar

Nedminder
@charlieman22 avatar
UTC quote
CM - glad you got the envelope.
Shame there is no running motor to use it wtih.

Cases - those can absolutely be welded. Ideally they would clean, then clean again, then clamp & weld. Looks like they might eb able to access at least a portion from both sides - so quality of weld penetration will be visible.

The challenge with cast aluminum is - its shitty to weld.
All sorts of contaminants and porosity.
But a local guy who welds cases would make short work of that - and I am guessing its a $100 cash job - especially if you bring 'em cleaned up.

Best to bring all covers and both halves - less chance of warpage if they are bolted together and torqued down.

Pheas' - I have experienced Heidenaus on slick blacktop with oil/rain. It's behind slippery! Good think you were able to keep it upright - and they have a shower at work.
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '78 P200 E '84 Cosa '91 PK50XL2 - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
'74 50s x3 '78 P200 E '84 Cosa '91 PK50XL2 - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150
UTC quote
charlieman22 wrote:

The challenge with cast aluminum is - it CAN BE shitty to weld.
All sorts of contaminants and porosity ARE POSSIBLE.
It all depends on a number of variables. I think that Piaggio's casting quality is generally quite good. I've not seen serious shrinkage porosity(jagged and local), but they may have some less serious modest gas porosity which can be useful with permanent molded castings and is more evenly dispersed, but still plays hell with welding. Livid emoticon Make sure your welder preheats the cases to at least 400 F to drive off gases best you can before welding.

shrinkage porosity tends to occur in heavy section thicknesses
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

gas porosity tends to occur as small rounded cavities
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
And these are LML cases, so who the hell knows what the casting quality is...
@ray8 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@ray8 avatar
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
And these are LML cases, so who the hell knows what the casting quality is...
Easier to replace, no?
Two things come to mind seeing those cracks (I see two bad-boys):
Even after heating the case, clamping and bolting it, will the case be true?
Also, the weld will not have the same viscosity/porosity as the rest of the case. It won't expand/contract the same.
@gt6mk3 avatar
UTC

Hooked
Bodgerific 150 Super, PX200(ish...), US 50 Special in progress

Hooked
@gt6mk3 avatar
Bodgerific 150 Super, PX200(ish...), US 50 Special in progress
UTC quote
Back in September, I ordered some custom Crimaz bits from Sip. A month later, they got to Sip, and they shipped them out to me, using, for reasons unknown, the German Postal System (I always ship UPS or FedEx from Sip). Covid has pretty much screwed the post from Europe to Australia, so the package sat at Frankfurt airport till early January. At that point it apparently appeared briefly at Sydney airport, which is where the tracking trail died.
Kudos to Ana at Sip, she organized for a new set to be built, and had them shipped UPS free of charge.
Unfortunately, someone missed some paperwork (probably not used to free bits/shipping leaving!), and they got RTS by German customs.
One more lap of the world later, my custom bits landed on my desk today.
Thanks to Ana at Sip, I highly recommend contacting her if you're looking for parts.
@charlieman22 avatar
UTC

Nedminder

Nedminder
@charlieman22 avatar
UTC quote
Apparently not as lucky as reputed.

Dreading the wait time myself.
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
Somehow i always get my SIP parts lighting fast. I order all my SIP stuff through a friend who has an account with them. I ordered a fancy Lambretta Casa Cooler last Monday at 11:30 am, and my friend text me that my parts showed up Thursday at about 2pm. No idea how that is even possible.
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
Shipping times have been all over the map for me. I ordered from SIP and Scooter-Center at the same time, shipped them both via FedEx, and one arrived in three days, the other took almost a month.

Now if I could just find a set of LML Reed cases. At this point, I'm coming up empty anywhere, or the seller wants so much for them I might as well just buy some Malossi cases.
@safis avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2

Ossessionato
@safis avatar
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
UTC quote
German Post was passed to DHL a few years back. Thanks to COVID and the mess that pushed to the limits all postal / courier services worldwide, DHL decided to put limits on package sizes for certain countries. Maybe that was the case for you too. On January I had two packages I bought on eBay returned to the sender, cause they were bigger than 40cm at one side. They were only accepting packages that were 40x40x40 or smaller. Thanks to the seller, we came to an arrangement and he unsealed, repackaged and sent the items to different boxes so as to pass the restriction. I got them a week later...
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
UTC quote
Glad it's baseball season.

Had a great ride today and included a quick stop at the home town team mural.
@67gt125 avatar
UTC

Addicted
1967 Granturismo 177, 1979 P200E, 1974 Primavera 125 Hooligans S/C Seattle/Austin

Addicted
@67gt125 avatar
1967 Granturismo 177, 1979 P200E, 1974 Primavera 125 Hooligans S/C Seattle/Austin
UTC quote
Birdsnest wrote:
Glad it's baseball season.

Had a great ride today and included a quick stop at the home town team mural.
Beautiful here in Austin too. Unfortunately, Pfizer shot 2 wiped me out for the weekend. I managed to change my case oil and that's about it.
@modkuo avatar
UTC

Addicted
'79 P200, '74 VBC Super, '77 P125 Project, 1978 Rally 200

Addicted
@modkuo avatar
'79 P200, '74 VBC Super, '77 P125 Project, 1978 Rally 200
UTC quote
Stopped by So-Cal-Weld-Guy's den of scoots for a quick few beads on my Cowl tab, which has been worn down over the years. Easy stuff for da man and practice for my cracked mudguard. Thanks as always to So Cal Bro.

I really want him to start doing Indo-Enhancement work. Weld like horns, multiple wheels, and military gear and stuff onto scoots.

cheers peeps
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
The float needle in my stella had been needing replacement, so I finally got around to that. Also, the float bowl was FULL of rust flakes. It looked like coffee grounds.

Anyways... Swap the needle, or it back together, flip on the fuel tap to check is not dripping and flooding... And fuel starts streaming off the back of the motor. I clearly didn't get something tight. Check everything, it all seems tight.

I run through a few more iterations of "look for leak, though I fixed it, find it's still leaking, drop a bunch of F-bombs" before I pull the carb off the bike so I can hook it up to an external supply and at what's going on.

Finally, I find the source. It's leaking out the overflow from the float bowl. Open it up again and look at the new needle. Find the old needle to compare...and there it is... Wrong. Friggin. Needle.

So re-installed the old needle, which now doesn't seem to be leaking, but at least the float bowl is clean.
It looked like a coffee maker in there
It looked like a coffee maker in there
Oops
Oops
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
UTC quote
Got some copper sheets in various thicknesses to make spacers ... stay tuned, we're going to see how a Pinasco 177 goes with a BGM head...
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
UTC quote
^^^^

(Though ... A tiny part of me is thinking don't poke the bear.)
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
UTC quote
hard laugh... isn't one of the universal rules of tuning to keep poking the bear? When one of my scoots runs really nicely it usually means I haven't been tinkering with it enough.
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
SoCalGuy wrote:
hard laugh... isn't one of the universal rules of tuning to keep poking the bear? When one of my scoots runs really nicely it usually means I haven't been tinkering with it enough.
I forget who originally said it, but "If it ain't broke...fix it 'til it is!"
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
UTC quote
Right. Leaving well enough alone is not an option.
@koenig_blues avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
a not so normal vbb2 '64, a weirdo vbx '86, a not so normal pts100 '82 and a yellow sunshine '74 sprint

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@koenig_blues avatar
a not so normal vbb2 '64, a weirdo vbx '86, a not so normal pts100 '82 and a yellow sunshine '74 sprint
UTC quote
Got a used sidecar and start thingking what to do and where should i attach it, maybe u guys can help me choose between the pink nor the red vespa

Until thrb have a nice summer and cheer
Its here
Its here
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
UTC quote
Right on.
Will enjoy watching what you do with it Ebeth!
---

I am a bit stuck on the SS180 until the horncast arrives from Denmark. So with lots of rain outside and a day off I headed up to the storage facility to grab the rims and hubs off the VBC. Rust removal and getting them cleaned up is the order of the day.

Found a wee issue... god I hope no one rode it around like that!

(On my phone so excuse the single photo per post)
⚠️ Last edited by Birdsnest on UTC; edited 1 time
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
UTC quote
Eeek
@safis avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@safis avatar
UTC quote
Mounted some Pirelli Angels on a friend's brand new SIP tubeless rims. Extra protection and the right tools make for no scratches or markings...

@charlieman22 avatar
UTC

Nedminder

Nedminder
@charlieman22 avatar
UTC quote
Safis - you should post a tutorial on that one.
How many dinged up installs have we seen?
Very nice.

Ebeth - my brother in sidecar! Yes!

Birdsnest - hahaha - love the note to self on the tray.
@christopher_55934 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
@christopher_55934 avatar
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
charlieman22 wrote:
Very nice.

Note.could be from his wife, mine gives me her old pans to use in garage.
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
UTC quote
Christopher_55934 wrote:
charlieman22 wrote:
Very nice.

Note.could be from his wife, mine gives me her old pans to use in garage.
Hahahaha
Wait... Are you calling Greasy my scooter wife?
G-man sent that over in a Christmas care package to stop me from getting in dutch with the misses. I am known to commandeer tuperware and other items without permission. It never ends well... and I am slow learner. He's saving me from myself.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
Wait a minute... that looks like my hand writing!

99-cent store tray to the rescue for the birbs!

Currently assembling next care package. Will include additional parts holding items so you don't get in trouble.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
SaFiS wrote:
Mounted some Pirelli Angels on a friend's brand new SIP tubeless rims. Extra protection and the right tools make for no scratches or markings...

Pretty work! I know those are a pain in all nine assholes. Thank the 6lb 7pz baby jeebus with wings and talons that those weren't Michelins!
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208

Ossessionato
@swiss1939 avatar
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208
UTC quote
charlieman22 wrote:
Very nice.

Safis, amazing job on the tire install. Please do make a video of it.

CM22, the guy who mounted mine f'ed them up seriously. 3 tires. 1 holds air fine.. one has a slow leak... 1 holds air fine but tire did not seat evenly, so when I swapped it on to do my 120 mile round trip the front tire was rattling and bouncing like the front end was f'ed up. Nope... it was just the tire which didn't seat evenly on the rim from that guy. I broke the beads on the two trouble tires today and the slow leak one has bead damage/tear, the one not seated properly has a bead that is bent slightly so it can't re-seat back on rim with air. That one guy ruined about $400 in tires and rims.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.5143s ][ Queries: 4 (0.4351s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]