@louswheel avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
150 Sprint Veloce, RE Meteor 350

Molto Verboso
@louswheel avatar
UTC quote
My Partner and I are looking for a replacement of our 500cc X10, since I was rear ended, and the scooter was written off.
I bought a second hand Vespa GTS 300, but it isn't very reliable, and far too small for two-up riding, so we are looking for something that replaces the X10.

We are interested in the MP3, and we have 3 requirements that will be suitable-
1. My partner struggles with sitting on pegs long distance, so are looking for resting her feet on the floor- like we did with the X10
2. We like the idea of stability, and a three wheeler such as the MP3 looks stable enough, and it has a much smaller wheelbase than the X10, which like the Suzuki Burgman is quite large, and cumbersome to reverse (although, I did find out today while looking at the MP3 the 500cc version has reverse!)
3. comfort. We like the idea of a nice wide seat, with lumbar support, so a scooter with that would be great!

So, the MP3 seems to cover those points, but do you think there are other makes and models that will cover those points, enough to look over, before choosing the MP3?

Graham
UTC

Hooked
Aprilia Mojito 125

Hooked
Aprilia Mojito 125
UTC quote
Hi Graham. Look at Beverlies.
UTC

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
UTC quote
The Beverly still uses footpegs. OP wants a bike with floorboards long enough to eliminate the need for rear footpegs.

Be aware that the current gen MP3 also uses rear footpegs.

Suggest OP look at Peugeot Metropolis 400, which has foldup rear floor boards, and is a 3 wheeler. Dimensionally near identical (about 4 inches shorter) to the MP3 but with better ergonomics (i.e. flat floorboard, no intrusive brake pedal, push button adjustable windshield, etc.), better equipped (keyless ignition, full LED lighting, etc.) and more up to date. Could be the combination you are looking for. They also have a touring version (Metropolis SW) that has the rear case (holds 2 full size modular helmets) and passenger seat integrated into the body of the bike in the same fashion of the Honda Goldwing along with fully adjustable suspension. See pic below

As opposed to the MP3 which is a 15+ year old design that has only gotten the bare bones minimum to stay saleable in the marketplace. Compared to the competition, nowadays the MP3 is pretty much lipstick on a pig. A pig that has been resting on its laurels for a very long time and in serious need of a complete makeover as evidenced by the use of halogen lighting from 70s, a LCD panel that looks like it came from the dollar store and physical keys from the early 80s while everyone else has moved on to LED headlights and keyless ignition.

Top tip: If you do decide for the Peugeot, invest in a top box (standard on SW version) and a Akrapovic exhaust as the factory muffler is pretty crappy and does not sound very nice. Only look at 2020 models and newer, earlier ones had some teething problems.

Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Hooked
Aprilia Mojito 125

Hooked
Aprilia Mojito 125
UTC quote
Pardon, but both mp3 (at least, mine) and beverly have passenger floorboards.
UTC

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
UTC quote
Jah wrote:
Pardon, but both mp3 (at least, mine) and beverly have passenger floorboards.
That is because you've got old gen bikes that are no longer in production.

Here are a couple of current model year pics of the Bev and MP3 to put your mind at ease.
UTC

Hooked
Aprilia Mojito 125

Hooked
Aprilia Mojito 125
UTC quote
Ahem... Why do you assume that topic starter wants only new models?
@garthhh avatar
UTC

Addicted
2020 Liberty 150, 2020 MP3-500

Addicted
@garthhh avatar
UTC quote
The Mp3 tilt locked is far easier to backup than any 2 wheeler

I can stand next to the bike while the passenger mounts up, no trying to rock it off of the centerstand, no awkward steps trying to hold the bike up, while my wife crawls on

2up at a light, unlocked mp3 feels lighter than a burgman
With any sort of forward motion I feel stable, easy to balance

The passenger pegs are nice with a rubber insert
Bolt some platforms to the pegs, which would necessitate leaving them down or adding a spacer & longer bolts to the mount
I'm not seeing any direct after-market solution...

The grabrails also have the comfort inserts
My wife declares the passenger perch with buttstop to be very comfortable, compared to burgs
UTC

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
UTC quote
Jah wrote:
Ahem... Why do you assume that topic starter wants only new models?
Please help refresh my memory where I said the bike had to be new.

However, the OP is based in Europe and buying a vehicle these days in Europe is all about the dreaded Euro norm label a vehicle gets tagged with when it leaves the factory. The Euro norm for bikes, currently at 5, is both for emissions and sound levels.

As time goes by, and as the cities continue to impose stringer standards, the older vehicles (of any kind) are no longer allowed to be on the road. This holds especially true in the larger cities where scooters are most prevalent along with its newest enemy the LEZ (Low Emissions Zone)

Example: my 2015 MP3 (current gen body style) is only a Euro2. Effective January 1 2020 all new motorcycles must comply with the Euro5 standard. That is a 3 level increase in less than 5 years. Normally, each increase occurs about every 5 years or so. But if the cars (which are subject to the same standards) are anything to go by, anything that is not at least a Euro5 is going to get banned from the road. In addition, resale values on vehicles that are not at least Euro5 are dropping like flies and at some point will be practically valueless since those vehicles can no longer be used for any significant purposes.

2nd Example: I have a Honda Accord that is a Euro 5 vehicle. Purchased it brand new at the end of 2016. As of January 1 2025 that vehicle will no longer be allowed in areas where LEZ (Low Emissions Zone) is in force since the LEZ requirements get revised upwards each year..

The days of running a non CE certified exhaust or straight pipe or any kind of old banger are long behind us, and those that do are running on borrowed time before the law catches up with them and their wallet.
@garthhh avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@garthhh avatar
UTC quote
I had a closer look
A platform could be bolted below the existing passenger pegs & still fold, only the platform in front of the peg sticking out
UTC

Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 300 HPE

Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 300 HPE
UTC quote
sbaert wrote:
...in serious need of a complete makeover as evidenced by the use of halogen lighting from 70s, a LCD panel that looks like it came from the dollar store and physical keys from the early 80s while everyone else has moved on to LED headlights and keyless ignition.

This made me laugh! Quite right about the LCD panel - which can't even display your current speed.
OP
@louswheel avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@louswheel avatar
UTC quote
The Peugeot 3 wheeler looks very nice, and it looks like a more updated MP3, although I found a review that it was "very plasticky"...
I haven't seen any of these scooters "in the flesh" inn the UK, and it might be a bit of an effort to get hold of one, but I'll do some more research on one..

Graham
UTC

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
UTC quote
One more thing, the Peugeot has a major safety system absent from its competitors. TPMS a.k.a. tire pressure sensors on all 3 wheels where it notifies the rider which tire is running low.

Peugeot is also offering a five-year unlimited mileage warranty without lapse of coverage (excluding consumables), as well as a free year of insurance when purchased new.

This may vary depending on what country/region you are in, but at least it is far above the Piaggio 2-year warranty which is the minimum EU mandated warranty period and no complimentary insurance.

And price wise the Peugeot wins as well at 9049pound (includes OTR charges) vs. the MP3 Advanced (reverse gear) at 9500pound.
OP
@louswheel avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@louswheel avatar
UTC quote
I seem to be struggling for a dealership in the UK that sells the Peugeot though... I might have to be cheeky and ask Peugeot car dealers for any info!!

We are going to test ride a MP3 next weekend to "get a feel for it" and to ride it at various speeds- if successful, the next step is choosing, although the Peugeot looks to be the winner- if I can find one!

Graham
UTC

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
UTC quote
Here is a list with UK Peugeot scooter dealerships

https://www.peugeotscooters.co.uk/peugeot-motorcycles-dealers
OP
@louswheel avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@louswheel avatar
UTC quote
Thanks! There's one just down the road in Cambridge, that's handy! I found one in Chelmsford, that offers test rides, so, I'll look into that!

Graham
UTC

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
UTC quote
You're welcome. One thing you should be aware of is that the integrated i-Connect feature that links the dashboard with your smartphone can be a bit of a initial struggle to pair. But once done, it seems to work very well. Just keep the phone close, such as the glovebox or sidepocket where the USB socket resides. Keeping the phone under the saddle or inside the boot seems to impact connectivity, at least from what I experienced. YMMV

Of course your purchase decision shouldn't be based on this one factor alone. That would be like deciding which car to buy based on the amount of cupholders it has.

I have the PMP (Piaggio Multimedia Platform) option on my MP3, and I doubt I have used it more than a handful of times in the 5+ years I've had it.
UTC

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
UTC quote
Found this newly released official Peugeot clip re. the SW variant on YouTube. I did not realize it has one extra safety feature, notably it automatically turns on the hazard flashers during emergency braking. Very cool feature for daily commuting.

@garthhh avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@garthhh avatar
UTC quote
Had a Peugeot 404
If you stomped the brakes hard the horn would blow

The passenger perch on the Peugeot looks nice, the grab bars look to be mounted higher

I bought one of these grip n ride belts, which gives my wife more options for hanging on
Easier for my wife to read my body language & follow along
Further reducing the number of dabs & awkward steps, 2 up
Nice enough as a kidney belt over a jacket
https://gladbelt.com/collections/motorcycles
UTC

Hooked
2019 MP3 500 Sport

Hooked
2019 MP3 500 Sport
UTC quote
Garthhh wrote:
Had a Peugeot 404
If you stomped the brakes hard the horn would blow

The passenger perch on the Peugeot looks nice, the grab bars look to be mounted higher

I bought one of these grip n ride belts, which gives my wife more options for hanging on
Easier for my wife to read my body language & follow along
Further reducing the number of dabs & awkward steps, 2 up
Nice enough as a kidney belt over a jacket
https://gladbelt.com/collections/motorcycles
@fleece avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1991 Vespa T5 Pole Position, 2008 Vespa S 125, 2023 Piaggio MP3 300HPE Sport

Ossessionato
@fleece avatar
1991 Vespa T5 Pole Position, 2008 Vespa S 125, 2023 Piaggio MP3 300HPE Sport
UTC quote
Unless you have good dealer back-up, think long and hard about replacing Piaggio with Peugeot.

I struggle at times with my Metropolis. The garage I take it to hates working on it, the information to do home wrenching just isn't on the www (unless you're French maybe), parts have proved hard to get hold of at times (2 months for a fan).

They are different to ride than the MP3, more planted but less nimble is my experience.

I wouldn't spend big money on a new one personally. Maybe go for something like this..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-METROPOLIS-400-RS-/124839206905?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0
OP
@louswheel avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@louswheel avatar
UTC quote
We went to Wheels yesterday to look at their range ( https://www.wheelsmotorcycles.co.uk/)
They had the 350, 400 and 500 MP3's on display as well as the GTS and Beverly range. A bit pricy there we thought, although the 400cc version of the MP3 looked more our style.

I agree the look and design of the MP3 now looks a little dated compared to say the Peugeot- I noticed that the MP3 dash looks exactly the same as my old X10 a had a few years ago!

I spoke to the sales guy there, and I mentioned the Peugeot, and of course he dismissed the scooter, saying he's heard a lot of problems with the steering mechanism, etc, but it's what I'd expect from a sales guy, so I brushed it off as sales talk, but it has got me thinking- I haven't seen a lot of Peugeot scooters in this country, so I wonder if the bloke was for real?

But, both me and Jules, agreed, that before committing to a trike- we need to see what it's like to ride one, so I'm going to ring round and ask for a test ride, to really see what they are like to ride especially with a passenger!

Graham
UTC

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
UTC quote
louswheel wrote:
...I noticed that the MP3 dash looks exactly the same as my old X10 a had a few years ago! ..
Good eye! That's because they did recycle the dash from the X10 onto the 3rd gen MP3. In fact, if you look at the LCD on the current gen MP3 from the right angle you can still see the outline of the electric shock damper setting that was a unique X10 feature which would have been a great addition to the MP3 featureset.
louswheel wrote:
I spoke to the sales guy there, and I mentioned the Peugeot, and of course he dismissed the scooter, saying he's heard a lot of problems with the steering mechanism, etc, but it's what I'd expect from a sales guy, so I brushed it off as sales talk...
How funny, considering the MP3 has a long and documented history of steering problems. But perhaps he was talking about his own shop, eh? FWIW, the steering and suspension on the Peugeot has a lot more in common with a car suspension vs. the quirky one off design of the MP3.

While it is true there are fewer Peugeot's on the road, keep in mind that the bike only entered the market in 2014, the same year Piaggio introduced the 3rd (current) gen MP3. That is a full 8 years after the MP3 appeared.

The one you really don't see are the Quadro. I've only spotted 1 in the wild, ever.

Yes, the MP3 was a trend setter in its day back around 2006 BUT Piaggio has ignored it and put all its focus and all the goodies on the GTS and its other 2 wheeled brethren. The MP3 is the forelorned stepchild. Yes, they produce many and they sell many MP3s. But not in all of Europe, not in Italy (Honda SH125 is Italy's favorite scoot). The bulk sales of the MP3 are in France, and particularly Paris.

Great idea to look, try and judge for yourself. I was initially skeptical too of the Peugeot (now also in its 3rd generation) especially in its first couple of years but the bike has progressed in leaps and bounds while with the MP3 it is the still the same dog food year in year out save for the occassional nip and tuck to keep it fresh while underneath it is still same old same old.

And yet Piaggio keep jacking up the price year after year for what is a near 16 year old design. Pretty soon they are bordering pricewise on Yamaha T-Max 560 and Honda Forza 750 territory, which is 10 times the bike of the MP3 and gets regular full updates & revisions not just skin deep ones.
UTC

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
UTC quote
OP, you've got mail a.k.a. check your inbox
UTC

2010 GTS 300ie Super

2010 GTS 300ie Super
UTC quote
Yeah they need to do something about that dated dash for sure. Something like the BMW x400 with LCD.

But I will say don't buy any MP3 without ABS and stick to the 500cc as the others are pretty slow compared to it.

I bought my 2016 for 5700.00 with 6,700 miles, one owner, a police officer, who payed 13k in 2017 with a lot of accessories etc. Guy gave me 4 helmets, 3 jackets and 2 sets of high quality gloves, all my size too.

That's one good deal😎

The Peugeot looks better IMO but the new 500hpe is pretty nice looking. I love reverse and that new gold paint.

OP
@louswheel avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@louswheel avatar
UTC quote
Ok....
Had my first ever test ride on a 300cc MP3 and to tell you the truth.... mmm, how can I say this... It felt nice to ride once you went above 10mph and above, the 3rd wheel, sure makes a difference to the comfort and handling- it just flew over potholes and speed humps with no issues at all- however... at low speeds under 10mph, it felt kinda tough to turn and steer, It reminded me of driving a car, minus the power steering, and I just could not get used to flipping the switch on the handlebar to lock the suspension- I was told by the dealer that it's handy when coming to a stop at traffic lights, but I just couldn't get it to lock, so resorted to putting my feet down at junctions.... I suppose I could get used to it, the more times I rode it.. However..
Riding with Jules on the back cause a bit of an issue.. Jules is, how can I say "large chested" and with her and myself on the MP3, it did cause a bit of a squeeze, and a rear top-box is a must, as Jules needs some padding for her back.
We had just an hour with the test ride, and we rode it through a variety of roads- from town traffic to Dual carriageways, and although we were rather "squished" Jules found the ride comfortable at the rear of the scooter..
We both concluded that the 300cc MP3 was far too small for us, and we noticed that the 500cc version has a much larger seat for the pair of us, plus the added bonus of having a reverse gear- which could come in handy, but at nearly £9,500 it was a bit too expensive, and as this has been said before- the style and finish of the MP3 makes it look a bit dated for the money....
We have yet to see the Peugeot version of the MP3, but we are going to the MCN event this weekend, where we expect to see dealers such as Suzuki, Honda etc, all showing their wares, so who knows, we might find a scooter that suits us both with room to spare!
UTC

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
UTC quote
If you plan to keep up with traffic or do any motorway riding, I would advise you to NOT consider the 300 and instead focus on the 350 which actually just got superseded with the 400. They're no 500 but the 400 comes pretty close and is a much newer motor.

You might be able to find some steep discounts on the 350 since it is now no longer in production
@hillbilly_fred avatar
UTC

Hooked
2019 MP3 hpe 500 sport Advanced " Missy "

Hooked
@hillbilly_fred avatar
2019 MP3 hpe 500 sport Advanced " Missy "
UTC quote
sbaert wrote:
One more thing, the Peugeot has a major safety system absent from its competitors. TPMS a.k.a. tire pressure sensors on all 3 wheels where it notifies the rider which tire is running low.

Peugeot is also offering a five-year unlimited mileage warranty without lapse of coverage (excluding consumables), as well as a free year of insurance when purchased new.

This may vary depending on what country/region you are in, but at least it is far above the Piaggio 2-year warranty which is the minimum EU mandated warranty period and no complimentary insurance.

And price wise the Peugeot wins as well at 9049pound (includes OTR charges) vs. the MP3 Advanced (reverse gear) at 9500pound.
Sorry sbaert. This might be considered a bit cheeky coming from me ,but I have a question. You speak so highly of the Peugot that I was wondering why you don`t own one yourself?
UTC

Hooked
2019 MP3 500 Sport

Hooked
2019 MP3 500 Sport
UTC quote
We only get the MP3 500 in the USA anyhow these days, and Peugot hasn't been heard about in the US... since ever? I have seen the odd 1970s convertible once or twice, especially North east coast, prolly just a nostalgic expat that brought it back with them...

Even *if* the smaller models were available, I wouldn't consider them - even if I lived in Europe. The cities may be congested, but highways are very fast (esp. in Germany, where I lived for 12 years). Living in CA now, where highways speed limits officially are 65mph pretty much everywhere except on 5 to Los Angeles, I think a Vespa 300 is quite workable on highways.

But I also own a much faster bike, and the MP3 500 is heavy, so IMO it needs every horse it gets... BTW I finally did ride a Yamaha Nikken and it was pretty awesome, especially on California's pathetically maintained twistier roads it gives you awesome peace of mind. But you have to slap sidebags on it to make it somewhat as practical as the MP3 500. Piaggio better look out because the Yam has some elements that are brilliantly engineered - let's see where Yamaha takes it. Naturally we ran into the usual sportsbike posers that were like "interesting but I'd be embarrassed to ride one", to which I replied "you have more rider assist electronics and options than are on this one, that hand-holding doesn't embarrass you?".

To me the MP3 500 for now is a great combo of fun and practicality, but I don't use it to ride more than 30 miles one-way, honestly.
⚠️ Last edited by PabloLie on UTC; edited 1 time
UTC

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
UTC quote
Hillbilly Fred wrote:
Sorry sbaert. This might be considered a bit cheeky coming from me ,but I have a question. You speak so highly of the Peugot that I was wondering why you don`t own one yourself?
Good question. Simple answer. There wasn't enough storage space until this new SW variant came along.

I will be the first to admit I would not buy the 1st generation that came out in 2013-2014, but that holds true for anything whether it be a car, a phone, whatever. Don't be the guinea pig.

I have driven a few Peugeots now, and I appreciate the fact it is real scoot with a flat floor like a scoot should have and the feature set is making the Piaggio look like a old dinosaur even among Piaggio's own offerings. Everything Piaggio sells nowadays has a LED headlight, except the MP3.

The reason I have not bought a Peugeot? The seat has been always been a bit on the low side, and the front suspension was not quite to my liking. But now that the suspension appears to be sorted or at least upgraded that changes things. A seat is a relative EZ low cost fix.

Ironically, I am in the market for a replacement bike. In a few hours I am going to try the new Honda Forza 750 as well as the Africa Twin both with DCT. And tomorrow, I am trying the Yamaha Niken.
UTC

2010 GTS 300ie Super

2010 GTS 300ie Super
UTC quote
louswheel wrote:
Ok....
Had my first ever test ride on a 300cc MP3 and to tell you the truth.... mmm, how can I say this... It felt nice to ride once you went above 10mph and above, the 3rd wheel, sure makes a difference to the comfort and handling- it just flew over potholes and speed humps with no issues at all- however... at low speeds under 10mph, it felt kinda tough to turn and steer, It reminded me of driving a car, minus the power steering, and I just could not get used to flipping the switch on the handlebar to lock the suspension- I was told by the dealer that it's handy when coming to a stop at traffic lights, but I just couldn't get it to lock, so resorted to putting my feet down at junctions.... I suppose I could get used to it, the more times I rode it.. However..
Riding with Jules on the back cause a bit of an issue.. Jules is, how can I say "large chested" and with her and myself on the MP3, it did cause a bit of a squeeze, and a rear top-box is a must, as Jules needs some padding for her back.
We had just an hour with the test ride, and we rode it through a variety of roads- from town traffic to Dual carriageways, and although we were rather "squished" Jules found the ride comfortable at the rear of the scooter..
We both concluded that the 300cc MP3 was far too small for us, and we noticed that the 500cc version has a much larger seat for the pair of us, plus the added bonus of having a reverse gear- which could come in handy, but at nearly £9,500 it was a bit too expensive, and as this has been said before- the style and finish of the MP3 makes it look a bit dated for the money....
We have yet to see the Peugeot version of the MP3, but we are going to the MCN event this weekend, where we expect to see dealers such as Suzuki, Honda etc, all showing their wares, so who knows, we might find a scooter that suits us both with room to spare!
Keep in mind that you can find a used 500cc 2016 up for way cheaper and it's almost the same as the newer one just no reverse or fancy bitubo shocks (well I think the 2018 has them).

Using the stabilizer coming to a stop takes a bit of practice. I got it down to an art form these days but was a bit of work. The key is to be balanced and going the right speed. A lot of times you'll set it with the bike not straight and a slight turn of the handlebars will correct it this.

It's very unwieldy at low speed for sure. Making a upturn is more involved than a two wheeler. But like most bikes, keeping throttle on with the back brake allows you to have lots of control at slow speeds.
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS300 (2012)

Hooked
Vespa GTS300 (2012)
UTC quote
sbaert wrote:
Good question. Simple answer. There wasn't enough storage space until this new SW variant came along.

I will be the first to admit I would not buy the 1st generation that came out in 2013-2014, but that holds true for anything whether it be a car, a phone, whatever. Don't be the guinea pig.

I have driven a few Peugeots now, and I appreciate the fact it is real scoot with a flat floor like a scoot should have and the feature set is making the Piaggio look like a old dinosaur even among Piaggio's own offerings. Everything Piaggio sells nowadays has a LED headlight, except the MP3.

The reason I have not bought a Peugeot? The seat has been always been a bit on the low side, and the front suspension was not quite to my liking. But now that the suspension appears to be sorted or at least upgraded that changes things. A seat is a relative EZ low cost fix.

Ironically, I am in the market for a replacement bike. In a few hours I am going to try the new Honda Forza 750 as well as the Africa Twin both with DCT. And tomorrow, I am trying the Yamaha Niken.
sbaert, with your knowledge of the Metropolis & your comments about the improvements from 2020, would you think a 2018 RXR would be worth considering, one has turned up at a local dealer 4K miles, but it doesn't look low priced at £6K, i'd value your your opinion.
Cheers, Graham
UTC

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
UTC quote
Old Rocker wrote:
sbaert, with your knowledge of the Metropolis & your comments about the improvements from 2020, would you think a 2018 RXR would be worth considering, one has turned up at a local dealer 4K miles, but it doesn't look low priced at £6K, i'd value your your opinion.
Cheers, Graham
Pass unless you can get it at a smokin' price, like sub 5K. The 2020 and newer have numerous improvements over the older ones that make the price diff worthwile. Also the 2020 and newer have suspension improvements, especially the SW and GT versions.

And make sure both keyfobs are present, since they are a expensive replacement part. Very early Metropolis only came with 1, but this caused issues (bricked vehicles until a key replacement is obtained) and unhappy customers.

And check to see if it has the optional rear top box. The RXR in standard form has little storage space and some helmets may not fit, such as my Schuberth C3 Pro, without the optional rear top box.

The one thing they all need, including the new ones, is a better sounding exhaust but that is a EZ fix.

And the RXR being a 2018, it is therefore a Euro4 vehicle. So bargain hard on the price.
UTC

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
UTC quote
It appears this thread has gone dead. No more updates from the OP in the last 30 days.
OP
@louswheel avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@louswheel avatar
UTC quote
Still looking round- haven't come to a decision yet- I like the look of the Peugeot, but I just can't find a dealer round here ( Cambs) that seems to have one in stock..and there's that issue that Piaggio taking them to court....
We did try the MP3 and the only one we'd consider would be the 500cc version.. It's getting late in the year as well, so we'd probably end up looking next year in the spring when hopefully
A : the court issue from Piaggio will be settled
B : The weather will be more favourable

Graham
UTC

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
UTC quote
Don't let the court issue hold you back. It's been going on for years.

If you really want to sit it out, you'll have to wait for the next 8 Italian prime ministers to come and go if not longer. ROFL emoticon

It started somewhere in the beginning of 2015 as evidenced in this link

https://www.botti-ferrari.com/en/2015/04/10/piaggio-brings-peugeot-and-yamaha-before-the-court-of-milan-for-the-counterfeiting-of-piaggio-mp3-scooter/
UTC

Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 300 HPE

Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 300 HPE
UTC quote
sbaert wrote:
How were these other bikes, especially the Niken?
UTC

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
UTC quote
Loved the Hondas, especially the Forza 750. I almost liked it better than the Africa Twin. That DCT transmission is so addictive. Was surprised how spunky the Forza felt, while the Africa Twin seemed but does not feel bulky with its high up 24Liter tank, and the banana seat did not suit me particularly well although I probably could live with it. I am not a big fan of vehicles with digital dashes, but either Honda I could be happy with it especially the one on the Africa Twin with its electronic suspension control, wheelie control, load factor (1 up, 2 up, with or without luggage), Apple Carplay and Android Auto all at the touch of a button.

Dealer wouldn't let me ride the Niken since he wants to keep the mileage at zero until someone signs on the dotted line, and he was only willing to take 4% off the full list price on this particular 2 year old bike while these bikes are so unpopular you can find them with huge discounts. The Niken fits me the best, BUT read reviews that most people only get a shade over 200 clicks out of its 18Liter tank which is disappointing as is its rather old looking black and white big block LCD dash. Made me think of another 3 wheeler with a outdated dash , although the Niken's looks more up to date than the MP3. If the Niken's dash looks like something out of the late 2000s, then the MP3's dash is definitely stuck in the 80s. Service is a doddle on the Niken, since it is a more of a naked bike. And guess what, sealed headstock bearings. Anybody home Piaggio, or are you too busy filing lawsuits??? ROFL emoticon

If Honda adds cruise control to the Forza 750, I am buying one. That is the only thing missing for me. I was pleasantly surprised at the frugal fuel economy. Factory boasts 3.6L/100km, which seemed overly optimistic to me, but I got 3.9L using it through a variety of a situations. That makes it a 300km range machine.

The MP3 is a gas guzzler in comparison, on par with the Africa Twin which has a 1100cc motor and 2.5 times the power.

All 3 bikes use a chain, so I'd have to add a engine driven automatic chain oiler (such as a Scottoiler) to any one of them.

For now, I think I will use up my stock of MP3 consumables like the 2 full sets of tires I have sitting in the garage and hopefully Honda adds cruise control and a bit more storage space in the meantime.

Considering a brand new MP3 500 Advanced and Forza 750 are very close to each other on the price, the Forza beats it on all fronts except underseat storage.
UTC

Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 300 HPE

Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 300 HPE
UTC quote
sbaert wrote:
Loved the Hondas, especially the Forza 750.
The DCT on the Forza is a huge pull factor for me!
UTC

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
UTC quote
Yeah, and it is practically bargain priced to boot.

Do be aware that while the DCT shares the engine oil for lubrication, it does have a separate filter so if you buy be sure to replace it along with the main engine oil filter whenever service is needed.

The DCT filter is a sometimes overlooked item since people not in the know figure that the main engine filter covers both due to the oil being shared.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0268s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0076s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]