Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:58 am

MP3 500 Sport HPE 2018

MP3 500 Sport HPE 2018
Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:58 am linkquote
Due to the semi crap servicing and repairs of the local dealer I have finally sold my 2018 MP3. I enjoyed my time with the Piaggio but a 50 mile round trip to sort out a non start on my 2016 and 2018 model 500 was beyond a joke. If left out under a waterproof cover overnight and it rained , there was no way that the scooter would start first thing. Leave it for a couple of hours and the thing would sometimes be coaxed into life. Saying it would not start is not quite correct, it would fire a few times and then stop, wait 10 seconds and would fire and then stop. I did a video of the problem and the dealer said he had sent it to Piaggio, they had no clue. Don't even start me on the times it went in for the knock to be done.
Other than that it was a brilliant scooter, did all I asked of it, sorry to see them both go but needs must. I have put one or two bits in the for sale section.
All the best to everyone and safe riding.
Emlyn
Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:53 am

Hooked

Hooked
Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:53 am linkquote
That's a shame. I had poor start and it turned out to be the starter button.
Was a 5 min job and £5
Also the brake switches or kill switch could be faulty?

Last edited by Brasseye on Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:00 pm

Hooked
2019 MP3 500 Sport

Hooked
2019 MP3 500 Sport
Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:00 pm linkquote
I'd advise to change the main service shop (and give them horrible reviews so they don't treat other customers the same) to a different official one or to a trusted independent one. Personally, I much prefer to stick to great independent shops - official shops take your service for granted and will do the least possible to keep the bike they sold you running as a rule.
Good independents are highly motivated to keep your business. Which is not to say they'll never screw up - but once you establish a trust relationship, meaning they know you'll bring your bike(s) back to them even when there's a hickup, they will be far more motivated than an official dealer that makes 90% of their $ pushing new bikes out of the door.
The MP3 is a proven, sturdy bike if serviced semi-competently. Not that much has changed in its design really. In this forum we keep hearing about older specimens all the time. The engine is pretty much indestructible.
I have made sure to establish a relationship with an independent shop. I remain convinced that's a better long term option than the official dealer, who always try to overcharge and service to the minimum in my experience. It happens every time at an official shop: your first out-of-warranty service or two will be brutal cost. Why do you think that is?
Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:04 pm

Hooked
2016 MP3 500 Sport

Hooked
2016 MP3 500 Sport
Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:04 pm linkquote
Piaggio dealers make almost nothing on the sale of new bikes. The bulk of their profit comes from service. You may have had bad experiences with a dealer, but the good ones have the specialized training, tools and software needed to maintain these high tech machines.

I know their are many good independent shops too, but support your dealership or they won't be there when you need them.
Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:17 am

Addicted
2015 MP3 500 ie Business

Addicted
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:17 am linkquote
drawnon wrote:
Piaggio dealers make almost nothing on the sale of new bikes. The bulk of their profit comes from service. You may have had bad experiences with a dealer, but the good ones have the specialized training, tools and software needed to maintain these high tech machines.

I know their are many good independent shops too, but support your dealership or they won't be there when you need them.
Why support or a dealer or a brand that doesn't give a hoot about its customers? I had one Piaggio dealer refuse service to me because all I needed was to have a tire mounted on the rim, a 10 minute job at most. But no, instead he wanted to do the whole job AND sell me the tire (which I already had).

If Honda would have taken the same approach, they wouldn't be where they are today.

You can either soar with the eagles, or scratch with the chickens. Clearly, Piaggio has taken the latter approach especially in the Americas.
  DoubleGood Vespa Design  

All Content Copyright 2005-2021 by Modern Vespa. All Rights Reserved.

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

Shop on Amazon Smile with Modern Vespa

[ Time: 0.0268s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0081s) ][ Debug on ][ 209 ][ Thing One ]