Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:14 am

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:14 am linkquote
We've been slowly decluttering, and it feels good.
Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:38 pm

Hooked
2020 piaggio liberty 150 2006 Piaggio BV 250 carbureted

Hooked
Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:38 pm linkquote
Witch wrote:
I'm actually genuinely working on trying to go back to school, and I had to take a couple of placement tests today. I haven't done anything officially academic for over 20 years. I did just as well as I expected to on one (absolutely killed it), and way better than I even hoped to on the other (somehow, killed it as well).
That's awesome that you are going back to school. Have you ever heard of the Dunning-Kruger effect? The way you phrased your comment, that you "did just as well as you expected on one" brought the whole Dunning-Kruger to mind.

Apparently, from the way I understand it is that people who think they are good at something greatly overestimate how good they actually are, and people who don't think they are any good at something are actually way better at stuff than they think they are.

This has bothered me greatly ever since I discovered it because since I have a very high opinion of myself I must be full of crap but yet I frequently "kill it" or do even better than I thought I would?

Regardless it always makes me happy to think of the story that brought about the study that ended with the Dunning-Kruger effect, and it also makes me happy to share it!

https://medium.com/@littlebrown/i-wore-the-juice-the-dunning-kruger-effect-f8ac3299eb1
Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:47 pm

Addicted

Addicted

Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:47 pm linkquote
Whether you think you can or think you can't... you're probably right.

I am happy my new meds allow me to plan a Spain/France trip next month. My physical problems were making me wonder if travel was out of reach.
Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:54 am

Moderatrice Strega

Moderatrice Strega
Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:54 am linkquote
skids wrote:
Apparently, from the way I understand it is that people who think they are good at something greatly overestimate how good they actually are, and people who don't think they are any good at something are actually way better at stuff than they think they are.
Interesting! I hadn't heard of that before.

I figured my personal reasonings had more to do with the fact that I was initially raised by a retired English teacher, and I've always hated math. That probably makes it fairly obvious as to how I felt about each respective test.
Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:01 am

Hooked

Hooked
Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:01 am linkquote
Topolino wrote:
Whether you think you can or think you can't... you're probably right.

I am happy my new meds allow me to plan a Spain/France trip next month. My physical problems were making me wonder if travel was out of reach.
I am also happy the meds are working out for you, and as far as you and Witch go you are probably correct about what you think you can or can not do.

There are those people however, and they walk among us for the most part indistinguishable from normal humans that greatly overestimate or underestimate their abilities. This was the result of the study by Dunning-Kruger which came to be know as the Dunning-Kruger effect.

From the link... "Wheeler knew that lemon juice is used as an invisible ink. Logically, then, lemon juice would make his face invisible to cameras. He tested this out before the heists, putting juice on his face and snapping a selfie with a Polaroid camera. There was no face in the photo! (Police never figured that out. Most likely Wheeler was no more competent as a photographer than he was as a bank robber.) Wheeler reported one problem with his scheme. The lemon juice stung his eyes so badly that he could barely see."

This guy was an incredible idiot. So much so that it prompted a University professor to do a research study. To borrow from a famous redneck comedian, "that's funny right there"

And on the other end of the scale are incredibly bright people who greatly underestimate their abilities. I have direct knowledge of this because of my daughter. The subject came up at home about how they had "imposter syndrome" seminars at the school my daughter went to, (graduated now and at University) and the school sent out the email to parents.

Me being curious I quizzed her about it and her response was that every member of her school suffers from it, which is why they had the seminar or presentation whatever it was for the whole school.

We moved to Reno in 2016 so that my daughter could attend this school beginning as an 8th grader, she went there for 5 years before she began University. Now you may think I am just being a proud and bragging parent but I am not, it is a curse that I would not wish on my worst enemy, yeah they are wicked smart but just normal things are so difficult for them. Overwhelming anxiety, extreme self consciousness, IMHO you are much better off just being a "normal" or average person. Good luck just trying to get them to do such a simple thing as riding a scooter! All of these kids that are way smarter than the general public think that they don't belong there, according to my daughter who knows them pretty well. They all look around the room in class and think "yeah look at these guys, what am I doing here."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davidson_Academy_(Reno,_Nevada)
Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:23 am

Hooked

Hooked
Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:23 am linkquote
Witch wrote:
Interesting! I hadn't heard of that before.

I figured my personal reasonings had more to do with the fact that I was initially raised by a retired English teacher, and I've always hated math. That probably makes it fairly obvious as to how I felt about each respective test.
My daughter also hated math. I have always loved math and I am not nearly as good at it as she is. It is difficult for me to understand how you could not like something that you are so talented at? I guess it was probably because at the school she went to it was pretty relentless and a lot of work, talent or no "work" is still a dirty four letter word...

In my humble opinion (IMHO) a quick wit is the highest form of intelligence so that makes me still the smartest one in the family no matter how many advanced degrees she has! There may be something to that Dunning-Kruger after all...and even though I am full of crap I am at least not without some insight!
Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:54 pm

Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)

Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:54 pm linkquote
skids wrote:
In my humble opinion (IMHO) a quick wit is the highest form of intelligence so that makes me still the smartest one in the family no matter how many advanced degrees she has!
Well if that's the case some might say I'm halfway there!
Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:57 pm

Hooked

Hooked
Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:57 pm linkquote
kshansen wrote:
Well if that's the case some might say I'm halfway there!
You and me both brother! A couple of my friends say I am the most brilliant idiot they have ever met...

Seriously though I had a friend growing up who couldn't spell to save his life but he was always the quickest with a snappy comeback. And not just canned replies either, he came up with that stuff. Constantly using me as his dictionary though. On paper he might not do well but the intelligence was there just the same.
Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:28 am

Addicted
2017 Piaggio BV350

Addicted
2017 Piaggio BV350
Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:28 am linkquote
skids wrote:
My daughter also hated math. I have always loved math and I am not nearly as good at it as she is. It is difficult for me to understand how you could not like something that you are so talented at? I guess it was probably because at the school she went to it was pretty relentless and a lot of work, talent or no "work" is still a dirty four letter word...

In my humble opinion (IMHO) a quick wit is the highest form of intelligence so that makes me still the smartest one in the family no matter how many advanced degrees she has! There may be something to that Dunning-Kruger after all...and even though I am full of crap I am at least not without some insight!
I love math, and was quite good at it in HS (I was the first 2-time All Conference Math Team member in their history). Went to college and discovered that I didn't care how or why Math works, I'm just happy that it does. Give me a formula and numbers to plug in and I'll gleefully crank out answers all day.

When I later was taking classes at the local community college, I was a volunteer tutor for the English Drop In Lab. The Math tutors kept trying to convince me to do Math Drop In Tutoring, because I was good at it. Our supervisors suggested that I not do that, because all my time would be taken up by math students, and not English students. I declined because, while I'm good at it, I can't explain it easily. Give me three problems of the same type with three different sets of numbers in them, and I'll solve them three different ways. But I can't explain why I do that, or why I think one way is better for some number sets than others.

Anyway, what is cheering me up today is that our new cats are adapting quite well to their new home, and our other cats are slowly coming around to at least tolerating them.
Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:25 am

Ossessionato
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula

Ossessionato
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:25 am linkquote
monogodo wrote:
I love math, and was quite good at it in HS (I was the first 2-time All Conference Math Team member in their history). Went to college and discovered that I didn't care how or why Math works, I'm just happy that it does. Give me a formula and numbers to plug in and I'll gleefully crank out answers all day.

When I later was taking classes at the local community college, I was a volunteer tutor for the English Drop In Lab. The Math tutors kept trying to convince me to do Math Drop In Tutoring, because I was good at it. Our supervisors suggested that I not do that, because all my time would be taken up by math students, and not English students. I declined because, while I'm good at it, I can't explain it easily. Give me three problems of the same type with three different sets of numbers in them, and I'll solve them three different ways. But I can't explain why I do that, or why I think one way is better for some number sets than others.

Anyway, what is cheering me up today is that our new cats are adapting quite well to their new home, and our other cats are slowly coming around to at least tolerating them.
I had a similar problem when I was a teacher. Math always just seemed so obvious to me that I wasn't good at explaining it to kids who didn't just see it.

The most gifted athletes don't tend to make the best coaches.
Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:52 am

Hooked

Hooked
Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:52 am linkquote
monogodo wrote:

I have always loved learning but I never liked school. After 12 years of it and 2 years short of credits to graduate I took the GED so I am a 10th grade dropout. As 17.5 year old apprentice Carpenter it was my job to tote materials and clean up for the journeymen crew I worked with. Very early in my career when the guys I was working with would get to a complicated angle and had trouble with it I would jump in there. They saw that I quickly solved the problem and so that became my job whenever we got to a situation like that. One of the other apprentice's passing by asked the journeymen I was working with why another apprentice (myself) was doing the most complicated part? The reply I heard was "because he's good at it"

Carpentry is an exercise in math practically applied. "Layout" is figuring out how to cut something exactly before you try it to see if it fits. The skills transfer over to many other crafts but it happens at a much faster pace in carpentry so you get a lot more reps and build the skills faster there than you do in most other crafts.

Working in heavy industrial trades you don't get nearly as many opportunities to learn layout but when I moved to that type of work from carpentry I was already really good at it. As a union member it is highly encouraged to pass on the skills and teach the "usually" younger apprentices. I really loved that part of my job. They are typically the best students, they really want to learn, very highly motivated. When you show someone how they can use 3/4/5 to square up a layout or plumb a wall even bad math students get pretty excited about it and if you extrapolate from there it can get pretty complicated.

One of my favorite examples is laying out for a bridge where the abutment is not square to the underpass, and of course the abutment is at a 15 degree banter leaning in from the bottom as you face it, and then you have the very slight angle of the road that comes into the abutment in a curve called the "super". It is what I like to call a triple compound angle. The Pleasanton BART station in the SF Bay area is a bridge I did all of the layout for and an excellent example of this. Fun stuff for a math fan!

I am a geek and I collect reference books. To say I am self taught is wrong, I read books and then experiment with the practical applications I have gleaned so maybe not totally wrong but it was the books that taught me. I stumbled onto this book in a library once, George R diChristina was a third generation stairbuilder in San Francisco. His family buiilt curved stairs for the mansions going back almost to the gold rush. He wrote the book in his 70's as he had improved upon the layout technique and didn't want it to be lost. Well before the days of computers, good stuff! You may still be able to find it in libraries here is a link to a much later printing than the one I read so long ago.

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/a-simplified-guide-to-custom-stairbuilding-and-tangent-handrailing_george-r-dicristina/447650/#edition=3350700&idiq=7048814

The TL:DR is math is fun to teach in a practical application but you have to truly be a master to teach someone else. IMHO if you have difficulty teaching the subject you do not have adequate mastery!
Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:15 am

Hooked

Hooked
Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:15 am linkquote
mpfrank wrote:
I had a similar problem when I was a teacher. Math always just seemed so obvious to me that I wasn't good at explaining it to kids who didn't just see it.

I love that statement, "math always just seemed so obvious to me" and that's for sure the way it was for me with building things. I could "see" what I need to do to calculate the solution just by taking a couple measurements at first. Then as I went along and it got more complicated I just built on that foundation. It was easy for me to teach because I had a very (literally and figuratively) concrete practical application.

Because you had to break it down step by step while you were doing the layout it was easy for someone working with me to learn the steps, and then the theory behind the steps. I have had more than one person who I have taught layout to that has said at the end of the lesson "I know what to do but I can't explain it to anyone else" but that same person after many many reps of doing those steps can explain it brilliantly!

The pyramids are proof that mankind has been clever for a very long time. Archimedes discovered pi by doing multiple repetitive layouts of squares inside and outside of a circle, a classic example of math simplified by practical application!
Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:42 am

Ossessionato
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 (Zoom): 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Max),

Ossessionato
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 (Zoom): 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Max),
Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:42 am linkquote
I have been waiting for the owner to give me the approval to begin designing three houses for a farm oriented resort he wants to build in South Georgia.

We met for lunch on Tuesday to discuss the brief for the first design.

I kiddingly said that I should have it done by 5:00 that day.

Because it was something fresh and fun, I dropped the other grueling projects to work on the floor plan.

By 5:00, I had a rough floor plan and elevations blocked in.

And the house was good and met all of the parameters.

Since then I added detail and sent it to him for review.

Haven't heard back yet, but I hope he likes it.

Bill

Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:07 am

Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)

Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:07 am linkquote
mpfrank wrote:

I had a Algebra teacher back in the mid sixties who I think had just that problem. I actually feel bad for her as I think this caused her to have serious possibly a mental breakdown about half way through the school year and she never came back. She was replaced by a teacher I had for 4th grade. Don't know about other kids but I went from failing or close to it to a solid "B" in one semester for that class. And I was not really a good student at least when it came to doing my homework!

And on a side note my older brother actually went on to be a high school math teacher! One problem he had was spelling. But when a student would call him out for a spelling error his reply was "This is math, not English, as long as you know what I mean it doesn't matter how I spell it!"
Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:56 pm

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550
Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:56 pm linkquote
I enjoy this forum because a bunch of you folks bring some real nuggets of
insight from all your varied background experiences.

Skids & MpFrank,

I really do not have the brain lobe for math and it has always amazed me
how many of you just see and get it. I have also witnessed some extremely
capable people analytically having problems socially or informationally communicating.
Not everyone, but enough to catch my attention. In my business, I have what I
would characterize as technical types who ask me a ton of questions and could
not easily make a decision. Thank you for the good stuff talked about.

Wleuthold,

Where do you learn a mastery of building materials, there availability, standard versus custom sizes and related costs? Is this stuff on the job training, trial and error,
or do you have an old Sears catalog type architect book you go to and look
everything up?

Bob Copeland
Sub-zero in Minnesota
Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:49 pm

Addicted
2017 Piaggio BV350

Addicted
2017 Piaggio BV350
Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:49 pm linkquote
@mpfrank - YES! Math is very obvious to me, and I just can't grasp not being able to understand it.

Along those same lines, what made me quit being an English tutor was one semester I only had one hour per week available, so instead of having me be the drop in tutor for an hour, they gave me a standing appointment with a remedial reading student. I told the supervisors up front that I didn't have the skills to teach someone how to read. I couldn't grasp the concept of an adult (19-20 years old) having graduated high school and not being able to read. I could understand it if they were an ESL student, but they were born & raised in the US, there's no reason why they shouldn't know how to read, other than having 12 years of teachers not wanting to do their jobs. So I quit. I wasn't being paid, and I had a full-time job anyway, so it's not like there were going to be any repercussions. I was volunteering out of the goodness of my heart.

@skids - My brother is a journeyman electrician, and he went through the apprentice program when he was in his early 40s. Electrician work is also very math based, and he's great at his job. I work in the printing industry, and we have to calculate enlargement/reduction percentages all the time. A lot of people I've worked with use a proportion wheel, but I hated them. I use a calculator. And I even came up with a simple phrasing of the equation that always works: "Divide what you want by what you've got." It always works, regardless of the sizes one is working with. And it's more accurate than the proportion wheel.
Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:20 pm

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:20 pm linkquote
Bob Copeland wrote:
Wleuthold,

Where do you learn a mastery of building materials, there availability, standard versus custom sizes and related costs? Is this stuff on the job training, trial and error, or do you have an old Sears catalog type architect book you go to and look everything up?
Bob, During college and after graduation I worked for my father, a talented architect who knew everything about putting buildings together.

So I had a great foundation.

Now, what I don't already know requires checking the internet or catalogs for sizes and specifications.

All of my work is custom residential, and most of it of a limited style with similar construction techniques, so it is relatively easy for me.

Just too much work for an old guy trying to retire.

Bill
Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:53 pm

Addicted
Vespa S

Addicted
Vespa S
Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:53 pm linkquote
These days it feels like I fire the snow blower up almost as much as my winter beater bike, but I was deleting a bunch of files today and came across this screenshot from a gopro clip. Just the reminder that sunnier, warmer days are coming was a big "F--- YEAH!" moment.

Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:25 am

Addicted
2017 Piaggio BV350

Addicted
2017 Piaggio BV350
Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:25 am linkquote
The cats are starting to all get along.

Or at least, they're tolerating each other.

Digby & Walter on the couch.

Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:16 pm

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:16 pm linkquote
Reading that SDG's bill of health was updated to cancer-free!
Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:41 pm

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP) 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica)

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP) 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica)
Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:41 pm linkquote
monogodo wrote:
The cats are starting to all get along.

Or at least, they're tolerating each other.
All quiet on the Eastern front:

Pepper and Tapper: Usually this calm.

Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:11 am

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:11 am linkquote
Did a test ride of the GTS a week or two ago, had quite a bit of trouble getting it to start for some reason. Normally no problem with first start after a winter's sleep.

Today, despite sprinkles, decided to ride to work....started right up. Had a great ride in to work, rain ended quickly, going to be warm.....50's the rest of the day.
Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:30 am

Addicted
Vespa S

Addicted
Vespa S
Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:30 am linkquote
I helped an ex buy her first motorcycle this weekend.

It was the cheapest listed of the make and model she got, and I helped her identify enough issues to get another $800 (30%) off the asking price.

I took it back to my place, tested a couple things, fixed and did some maintenance on a handful of things (bike was pretty neglected), and then I took it to the shop I used to work at for the one part I didn't feel comfortable doing myself. Sometimes it's better to spend money.

Still managed to save her around $1,200 CAD altogether ($950 US) between the bike and free labour.

She put up with a lot of shit in my follies-of-youth days, and still goes out of her way to help me out to this day.

We've known each other forever and talked about getting motorcycles back when we were teenagers. One of us did. The other did yesterday. Felt good to be a part of that.

I took this pic after squeezing 10.3 liters of gas into a 10.5 liter gas tank.... no wonder it kept cutting out lol

Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:24 am

Hooked
Vespa ET4

Hooked
Vespa ET4
Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:24 am linkquote
At long last the weather here is warming up in line with the beginning of Spring . 17c today , no wind and dry roads . Heaven !
Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:46 am

Molto Verboso
GTS 300ie Touring 2013 - Signora D'argento & GTS 300ie HPE 2022 - Regina Arancione.

Molto Verboso
GTS 300ie Touring 2013 - Signora D'argento & GTS 300ie HPE 2022 - Regina Arancione.
Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:46 am linkquote
Same here on the other side of the Pennines. Unfortunately I couldn't take advantage of the lovely weather as I had to work.
Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:05 am

Addicted
GTS (sold)

Addicted
GTS (sold)
Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:05 am linkquote
I got a running blade today!! It's a model that can also be used as a walking foot. This means I can set my everyday foot for riding boot heels while using the blade for my minimalist/barefoot shoes & boots.
Time to get into trouble.

This also means I can finally wear my waterproof boots again instead of rainy riding ending with me, a hairdryer, and a timer so I don't burn the insoles.
Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:31 am

Hooked
Vespa ET4

Hooked
Vespa ET4
Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:31 am linkquote
The upside of being retired is that I am on standby whenever the weather is good I can usually go for a ride . The downside is that you usually have to be old to qualify !
Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:35 pm

Molto Verboso
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini

Molto Verboso
Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:35 pm linkquote
I was pleased to read that there is no shortage of toilet paper in Kyiv, Ukraine...

Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:18 pm

Ossessionato
Medley 150

Ossessionato
Medley 150
Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:18 pm linkquote
....looky like ze finger vil put-in through ze thin paper.....
Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:31 am

Addicted
2017 Piaggio BV350

Addicted
2017 Piaggio BV350
Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:31 am linkquote
Digby (grey cat) and Walter (white cat) are getting along:

Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:40 am

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:40 am linkquote
If they are are anything like my cats, that's a temporary ceasefire with normal hostilities resuming post nap time 🐱
Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:05 am

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, some pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:05 am linkquote
Doughnut!

Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:59 am

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:59 am linkquote
Looks sneakily like an eclair to me, or am I just being a bit of a doughnut? ~ Enjoy!
Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:10 am

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:10 am linkquote
Touring300 wrote:
Looks sneakily like an eclair to me, or am I just being a bit of a doughnut? ~ Enjoy!
I'd say eclair too...
adri wrote:
She put up with a lot of shit in my follies-of-youth days, and still goes out of her way to help me out to this day.

We've known each other forever...
I am fortunate to also have just such a female friend - an ex-girlfriend... my First Love.
In December this year we will have been confidants for 55 years.

Happily, she and my wife of almost 43 years are good friends too.
Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:54 am

Addicted
2017 Piaggio BV350

Addicted
2017 Piaggio BV350
Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:54 am linkquote
Fudmucker wrote:
adri wrote:

We've known each other forever...
I am fortunate to also have just such a female friend - an ex-girlfriend... my First Love.
In December this year we will have been confidants for 55 years.

Happily, she and my wife of almost 43 years are good friends too.
My Dad & mother are 10 days apart in age, and will be turning 79 this May. They divorced in the early 1970s, for reasons that I do not know. They've never really had much contact with each other over the years - mainly when she would come up to Wisconsin to visit for holidays and wanted to see us.

Last year she had to move out of her Senior Living apartment (the building got sold, and new ownership wanted to take it in a different direction), so she started looking for apartments or other Senior Living situations. My Dad & step-mom ended up suggesting a new apartment building a few blocks from where they live. She checked it out, and moved there. She doesn't have a car (or drivers license), so they've been driving her to doctor appointments, and helping her with other errands.

For most of my life, they pretty much purposely avoided contact with each other. Now they're getting along together as if they're best friends.

It's weird, but it makes me happy.
Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:57 am

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:57 am linkquote
What a lovely story. Your parents have a lot of catching-up to do.
Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:55 pm

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:55 pm linkquote
I didn't bother to click the google ad but it's comforting to know I can so easily clean my engine.

Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:03 pm

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:03 pm linkquote
The taxman has been chasing me for £700.00 worth of penalties for failing to submit tax returns for the years 2018-2021. My plea was that I was living in Cyprus for these 3 years and I did not receive any correspondence from them.

The case went to an independent adjudicator who decided in my favour and all charges were dropped.
Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:44 am

Addicted
2015 Vespa Primavera 50, 2021 Vespa Sprint 150

Addicted
2015 Vespa Primavera 50, 2021 Vespa Sprint 150
Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:44 am linkquote
Touring300 wrote:
The taxman has been chasing me for £700.00 worth of penalties for failing to submit tax returns for the years 2018-2021. My plea was that I was living in Cyprus for these 3 years and I did not receive any correspondence from them.

The case went to an independent adjudicator who decided in my favour and all charges were dropped.
That's huge! Congratulations!
Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:25 pm

Hooked

Hooked
Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:25 pm linkquote
Touring300 wrote:

Quite remarkable to get any kind of break from the taxman. This must be some other country than the United States where our taxman is known as the IRS.

If you put "the" and "IRS" together it spells "theirs" which may have something to do with getting any kind of break from the taxman pretty rare here.
  DoubleGood Vespa Design  

All Content Copyright 2005-2022 by Modern Vespa. All Rights Reserved.

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

Shop on Amazon Smile with Modern Vespa

[ Time: 1.1381s ][ Queries: 7 (1.1154s) ][ Debug on ][ 211 ][ Thing One ]