@mattthemusician avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2009 Vespa Black GTS 250

Enthusiast
@mattthemusician avatar
2009 Vespa Black GTS 250
UTC quote
So, today I logged 75 miles on the GTS (an abnormally high amount for me), and about halfway through, I noticed a sound that would appear whenever I accelerated through the 25-30mph range, or even at a lower speed if a really twist the throttle hard from a dead stop and take off.

It sounds like something metal is barely grazing a spinning fan, and it seems to be coming from under my seat... hard to say exactly. Now, I'm not sure its actually a fan that's causing the noise... I assume there's something like that in the engine, but I'm not saying that's what it is. That's just what the sound is like. It lasts maybe a quarter to half a second, and is definitely loud enough that I hear it over the engine and wind noise.

Everything else continued to run just fine and it got me home, so no complaints there.

Mileage is at 6300, had an oil changed at 3500.

Any thoughts from the community would be appreciated! Thanks!

p.s. No real access to a dealer up here, so troubleshooting is up to me and you!
@harvey avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Honda NC750XD, 2007 GTS (sold),

Ossessionato
@harvey avatar
2016 Honda NC750XD, 2007 GTS (sold),
UTC quote
I would open up the transmission (CVT) case and check for signs of rubbing.
Also check that the idler pulley isn't binding up.
Pay attention to have tight the bolts are- they need very little torque (8-10 ft-lbs) and strip easily.
@raputtak avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.

Ossessionato
@raputtak avatar
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.
UTC quote
NSR: I like your avatar, Matt.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0213s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0027s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]