@kayemtee avatar
UTC

Addicted
two Vespa GTSs (Dragon Red and Black). Primavera- Kymco Yager 200i

Addicted
@kayemtee avatar
two Vespa GTSs (Dragon Red and Black). Primavera- Kymco Yager 200i
UTC quote
Expressways are what I use to get to the places I want to ride. I'm not at all uncomfortable on them but can't say I enjoy them either. Poor quality of NYC highway pavements makes the ride more stressful than one would like, but they get you where you need to go a hell of a lot faster than local streets.
UTC

Molto Verboso
LXS 150

Molto Verboso
LXS 150
UTC quote
Fast and Loose
If traffic is running faster than my S150 can go, and I'm holding up traffic, I'll hit the next exit. Otherwise, game on.
@voneschenbach avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
A fracking cage sadly

Ossessionato
@voneschenbach avatar
A fracking cage sadly
UTC quote
I do either depending on mood and traffic backups... riding local streets is a lot more fun however.
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
UTC quote
My favorites are mountain roads when I can get there with the scooter. (only happened so far on two trips). The twists and turns along with elevation change and scenery make for great rides.
Next for me in my area are the cool two lane country roads around north central Florida and south Georgia.
But occasionally I will ride on Interstate 95 and I-10. I find them to be mostly boring, but they can be really fun too. It is a challenge to maintain a high enough speed to feel safe around all the cars and trucks, so the downhill sections in a draft are quite fun. To me is is a bit of a sport.
@dchernikoff avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vintage Red 2007 GTS, 2022 Mazda Miata soft-top (4-wheel MC)!

Ossessionato
@dchernikoff avatar
Vintage Red 2007 GTS, 2022 Mazda Miata soft-top (4-wheel MC)!
UTC quote
When I upgraded from my LX150 to a GTS250, I really wanted to be a freeway rider. But I find I just don't like it. Too stressful for me, I guess. I can do it, but after a few miles I realize I'm just not enjoying myself. The wind and noise (I have a flyscreen), the buffeting, the Ginormous cracks in 101 lurching me around, the crazy lane changers. Even the opportunity to go way fast doesn't make up for it, to me.

Funny thing is, for most of my rides it's FASTER to go side streets anyway. I used to freeway up to Belmont from Palo Alto (about 15 miles?) every other week, and I found that with lane splitting at lights I can get there 5-10 minutes faster going El Camino instead of taking the 101 freeway.

Maybe if I got a large windscreen, or a heavier bike, I'd learn to like the freeway. But a guy at work just had an accident on 880 on his Harley (not his fault, he was in the carpool lane and an idiot swerved over in front of him) and after hearing his painful horror story I'm not really that anxious to become a freeway lover...

YMMV.

-Dan
@rwd11954 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2020 Yamaha XMax, 2013 Vespa GTS300 Super, 2003 Stella, 1980 Vespa P200E

Hooked
@rwd11954 avatar
2020 Yamaha XMax, 2013 Vespa GTS300 Super, 2003 Stella, 1980 Vespa P200E
UTC quote
My first preference is 2-lane country roads, where you can ride for mucho miles at 55+ mph (GPS).

My second preference is 4-lane roada where cross-traffic is limited and you can boogie along at 60+ mph (GPS).

My least favorite is the interstate where you have to be WOT as to not get run over by trucks and cars. I've done a couple of interstate stretches of 75 miles one time and 35 the next and managed to hold at 75-80 mph (indicated) with more trottle left to go on my GT200, but just wasn't as comfortable as #1 or #2.
@lothar avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GT 200L

Addicted
@lothar avatar
Vespa GT 200L
UTC quote
I do not like the freeways. Too many cars here in southern Cal. Too much noise and wind, especially from the big rigs. I avoid them and go for the back roads.
@mikeyl avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2010 Vespa Volcanic Black GTS 300 Super "Marta"

Molto Verboso
@mikeyl avatar
2010 Vespa Volcanic Black GTS 300 Super "Marta"
UTC quote
If I need to go to a particular destination, I take the quickest route, highway or not. When I'm out for a ride, I like to choose scenic routes. Just make sure you are fully geared while traveling on highways, at 65mph you can get quite a bit of road rash if you go down.
@dailyrider28465 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Mia Dolce II 2017 GTV 300, Ragazzo Vespa 946, Il Pazzo BV 350, & Mia Dolce GTV 250 -sold-

Molto Verboso
@dailyrider28465 avatar
Mia Dolce II 2017 GTV 300, Ragazzo Vespa 946, Il Pazzo BV 350, & Mia Dolce GTV 250 -sold-
UTC quote
For me, the highway, or Interstate, is a means to an end. In northern VA there are no other good ways to get out of town and enjoy a country ride. If not for the Interstate it would be 25 miles of congested suburban mall traffic watching out for cell-phone-talkin' SUV pilots ignoring everyone else on the road as they cross three lanes to the next 20% off sale while slapping the rugrats in the back seat. My sense is that there are fewer threats on the super slab, but that the consequences of an incident are much greater - just due to inertial physics at greater speed.
Shifty scoots and 250+ scoots can be perfectly capable of Interstate-speed travel. It's the rider and the other drivers that will be a problem.
UTC

Hooked
2012 Plum GTS 300

Hooked
2012 Plum GTS 300
UTC quote
Short distances, I will get on the highway if need be. Anything that requires me to travel more than 30 miles, I'd rather take local back roads. I recently took my first highway trip on the 300 from Allemtown to Hershey, PA (about 65 miles) and it was not my cup o tea.
@bobby_kritikos avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2001 ET4 150 , 2010 GTS 300 Super

Enthusiast
@bobby_kritikos avatar
2001 ET4 150 , 2010 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
I do both.
@salima_draghetta avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS 250

Molto Verboso
@salima_draghetta avatar
GTS 250
UTC quote
post deleted by Salima
⚠️ Last edited by Salima Draghetta on UTC; edited 1 time
UTC

2012 Vespa 150LXie Midnight Blue/Camel

2012 Vespa 150LXie Midnight Blue/Camel
UTC quote
Freeway
glasseye wrote:
There is lots of room on the freeway, no cross traffic.

I am on the freeway every day.

I feel safe.

My $0.02.

R
I have a 2012 LX150ie. Would you ride that on the freeway, or would the 300 be better/safer?
@willie_b avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'20 300GTS Super Tec '09 250 GTSie '75 Rally 200 '79 P200 '09 Stella 221

Ossessionato
@willie_b avatar
'20 300GTS Super Tec '09 250 GTSie '75 Rally 200 '79 P200 '09 Stella 221
UTC quote
WLeuthold wrote:
My favorites are mountain roads when I can get there with the scooter. (only happened so far on two trips). The twists and turns along with elevation change and scenery make for great rides.
Next for me in my area are the cool two lane country roads around north central Florida and south Georgia.
But occasionally I will ride on Interstate 95 and I-10. I find them to be mostly boring, but they can be really fun too. It is a challenge to maintain a high enough speed to feel safe around all the cars and trucks, so the downhill sections in a draft are quite fun. To me is is a bit of a sport.
Mountains in Northern Florida? Are you riding on ant mounds?
@peabody99 avatar
UTC

Hooked
BMW F700GS, 1996 Honda Helix, Giallo GTS (sold), Buddy125

Hooked
@peabody99 avatar
BMW F700GS, 1996 Honda Helix, Giallo GTS (sold), Buddy125
UTC quote
For me it depends on Which freeway. There are some I feel more comfortable on than the alley behind my house, and others where I am sure I will die on if I take them too often. I can tell right away if something's not working safety wise, and get off if needed. Some of the most gacked out places are over built suburban 4-6 lanes surface streets with jacked up soccer moms on starbucks and hedge fund douches texting and running lights. Most of my near death experiences have been in these areas.
@gregsfc avatar
UTC

Addicted
Piaggio BV 350

Addicted
@gregsfc avatar
Piaggio BV 350
UTC quote
In my regular, every day commute, much of my route is predetermined unless I go way off the direct route, but I've got reasonable choice for about ten miles. I can: (1) Take a 4-line, divided state hwy. @ 65 mph speed limit that turns into a 4-lane city street through a small town; or (2) I can ride an extra 1/2-mile, one way, two-lane, with a 55 mph speed limit that also forks into the same city four lane in town. Both are very rural and open, but the 4-lane never involves a slow down or backed-up traffic and most of the traffic is going faster than me, because I choose to ride 62 in a 65 (I do the same in my cage). So that means it's very little stress on me, since I hardly ever have to pass more than one or two vehicles. If, on the other hand, I take the more country highway route, I get behind a real slow mover about half the time, and there is often backups in traffic, especially in the afternoons, but not like you big city dwellers think of as backed-up traffic.

I always take the four lane, however, on windy/gusty days the two-lane might be better in the afternoons, because the route home is almost a perfectly southwesterly direction, which means it's nearly always a direct head wind, which beats me up pretty badly. The 2-lane, on the other hand, I slow to about 57 mph; the road winds a little; and it's not crested up on high ground like is the 4-lane is. All of these elements help calm down the wind effect and make for a more comfortable ride.

But still, I have a hard time telling myself to go an extra mile or 1/2 mile per day just to avoid the higher-speed route. I mean, part of the reason I got an economical scooter is to use less fuel, and I have a hard time making myself believe that trading 5 mph for one mile per day makes ecological sense.

On non-work days, I may travel to a larger town. In this scenario, I can take the same 2-lane in the other direction, as opposed to the same 4-lane, and it actually saves me about 3/4 mile, one way. So, when I go to the larger town, I usually take the low road, even though I might get behind a tractor, bicycle, or farmer in a 1974 Ford Ranger.
@gregsfc avatar
UTC

Addicted
Piaggio BV 350

Addicted
@gregsfc avatar
Piaggio BV 350
UTC quote
I ride exclusively in a rural area, but I once took my BV 350 on a trip to Knoxville, TN via US Hwy US70N, US70, and US70/11 which are not freeways, but the old roads that were used before the freeways and are now used almost exclusively for local traffic. The trip to Knoxville was great; driving up to the Cumberland Plateau from the Highland Rim; down the Plateau; and through much of the Ridge and Valley section of east TN. But of course, this route took a lot longer driving through several small towns, and pretty curvy too boot, which was okay for this trip.

However, after visiting a couple of folks once arriving in Knoxville, I chose to get on a 65 mph Interchange, commonly called Pellissipi Prkwy, which is the new freeway route from Oak Ridge or Knoxville to Alcoa (Knoxville airport). I was on the Interchange only for about seven or eight miles. The speed limit was 65; same as the 4-lane back home, however, I estimate that the average speed was about 80 mph, and my regular, 62 mph (for a 65 zone) was not working out for me. I felt very unsafe. I picked up the speed to about 67-68, but was still uncomfortable with the driving behavior of others around me in a larger town on this particular freeway, so I understand perfectly what previous posters have said about...it depends on the freeway. Even if I had sped up to the flow of traffic near 80 mph, I would have felt uncomfortable going that fast; that close to other drivers who were driving in unpredictable, impatient manner.
UTC

Hooked
2007 Vespa GTS 250

Hooked
2007 Vespa GTS 250
UTC quote
Around here, the highway is 65 mph. That means everyone is doing 75 to 80 mph, and there are a TON of 18-wheelers (semi tractor trailers.) People have little regard for some fool (me) on a scotter, who they seem to think shouldn't be on the highway. At least that is what they drive like. This means if you ride on the highway, you pretty much have to ride WOT just to try and avoid getting run over. It is inadvisable for more than a few miles.
@gregsfc avatar
UTC

Addicted
Piaggio BV 350

Addicted
@gregsfc avatar
Piaggio BV 350
UTC quote
gregsfc said...I picked up the speed to about 67-68, but was still uncomfortable with the driving behavior of others around me in a larger town on this particular freeway, so I understand perfectly what previous posters have said about...it depends on the freeway.

I just want to clarify in case anyone was wondering, that I'm referring to true speed; not speedometer indicated speed. When I note that I was going 67-68 mph, my speedometer was reading about 75.
@consumerboy avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2020 GTS 300 Touring "Verde Bosco"

Enthusiast
@consumerboy avatar
2020 GTS 300 Touring "Verde Bosco"
UTC quote
I ride both depending on destination and purpose.

My first scoot was a honda 2010 elite. 50 mph TOPS and light as a feather so blown around in the wind. Tried once on the highway with a posted speed of 50. I felt VERY insecure in that traffic. The smaller wheels, the lack of top speed, and the scooter weight all worked against my comfort, despite that being the shortest path to my destination.

Forward two years: My current scoot is the often mentioned BV350. Bigger engine, bigger wheels, just bigger...but still a fun ride. On my BV350, I find I am comfortable enough to pace traffic in the 65+mph crowd...with a few caveats.

I hate GROOVED pavement/metal grate bridges (horrible on the elite, tolerable on BV350)

I hate road debris (dodging is a necessity)

Wisconsin traffic is not bad at all and rush hour just means slower traffic in my neck of the city and NOT crazier drivers.

On the city neighborhood streets I actually still miss the smaller scooter for its nimble handling. In every other way, I love my BV350.

Someday I may own more than one scooter. I'm thinking I 'need' to buy one for the wife or daughter.

Laughing emoticon
@roggerdavid avatar
UTC

Hooked
1980 Vespa P200e - 1962 Lambretta TV175 - 1977 Vespa Rally 200 - 1990 Honda S50

Hooked
@roggerdavid avatar
1980 Vespa P200e - 1962 Lambretta TV175 - 1977 Vespa Rally 200 - 1990 Honda S50
UTC quote
I rode the highway for more than a year on my scarabeo 200cc and handle no problem where the average speed is 75 to 80. Now that I live closer to work so I don't have to. The best time was in the rain thou... somehow everything becomes like in slow motion.
@menhir avatar
UTC

@menhir avatar
UTC quote
I avoid highways on my ET4, for good reasons, but ride them almost everyday on my motorcycle. If I had a scooter that could sustain reasonable highway speeds, I'd take it on the highways, too.

Although I enjoy the back roads, once used to the higher speeds, I feel safer on the highways.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
In Germany, you don't ride a Vespa on the Autobahn. Period.

I can do about 60 mph on my ET4.

Most German cars can do 145 mph.

They do it all of the time, all day if traffic permits.

Last month I did however go to Rudesheim on the Rhine River (about 15 miles away), and riding behind slow trucks was the safest way I could think of. The view to the side is nice.

The truck had a brightly painted red rear axle housing that looked brand new.

@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
UTC quote
Willie B wrote:
Mountains in Northern Florida? Are you riding on ant mounds?
Two years ago I rode with 12 other members of our scooter club to western North Carolina for two days of riding in the mountains. 1240 total miles for me with about 450 of them in the mountains.

Last year a friend trailered my scooter to Denver where we rode for 4 days in the Rockies. That one was 750+ miles.

They were two very nice rides.

The tallest mountain in Florida is probably Space Mountain in Walt Disney World, but you can't ride on that one.
@glasseye avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS, LX, VSD, VSX, VNX, LD 125, Chucky, LI125

Ossessionato
@glasseye avatar
GTS, LX, VSD, VSX, VNX, LD 125, Chucky, LI125
UTC quote
Re: Freeway
macsean3 wrote:
glasseye wrote:
There is lots of room on the freeway, no cross traffic.

I am on the freeway every day.

I feel safe.

My $0.02.

R
I have a 2012 LX150ie. Would you ride that on the freeway, or would the 300 be better/safer?
I used to commute on 680 with a Piaggio LT that was kitted to 190cc.

It did okay for the 5 miles but it was a bit under powered for the job.

With the 300 you can be in any lane you want, that cannot be said for the 150cc bikes.

Good luck with it,

R
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150
UTC quote
Lola wants wrote:
I'll ride 'em if I need to handle business, get where I'm going, etc. but they aren't enjoyable. The heat is worse and they stink.
This.

Here I usually avoid, but in Greece I don't mind as much. There's a LOT more 2 wheelers keeping me company there, cars are more used to us & that makes a difference. Up to 100kmph in the right lane is comfortable and it's OK to pass on the shoulder.
@gregsfc avatar
UTC

Addicted
Piaggio BV 350

Addicted
@gregsfc avatar
Piaggio BV 350
UTC quote
V oodoo wrote:
Lola wants wrote:
I'll ride 'em if I need to handle business, get where I'm going, etc. but they aren't enjoyable. The heat is worse and they stink.
This.

Here I usually avoid, but in Greece I don't mind as much. There's a LOT more 2 wheelers keeping me company there, cars are more used to us & that makes a difference. Up to 100kmph in the right lane is comfortable and it's OK to pass on the shoulder.
Interesting...One would think that the American market would rule the 2-wheel world with all the focus on Harleys, that subculture's impact on our overall culture, and all the pride associated with this group, but the link below regarding global sales for FY 2011 and first half of 2012, reveal some interesting facts to someone like me who has never looked at the two-wheel industry before.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-news/statistics/motorcycle-sales-statistics.htm

For one thing, it looks like the European market peaked in '07 with 2.7 million units sold, whereas the US peaked around 2005 with 1.09 million units sold (approx.)

Excerpt regarding Europe:
Over the last decade, the total volume of registrations and deliveries was highest in 2007 at 2.7 million units. In 2011, four years into a dire economic crisis, the PTW sector achieved its lowest result with 1.7 million units -- a 1 million unit difference compared to 2007.

Excerpt about scooter sales--US
Scooter sales continue to improve, with 19,208 sold in the first half of 2012, up from 18,198 for the same period in 2012 (+5.6%). Scooter sales have now surpassed off-road motorcycle sales and are climbing towards 10% of U.S. motorcycle sales totals.

Excerpt about how 2012 is trending up compared to 2011 in the US:
The study, based on a survey of nearly 1,700 U.S. powersports dealers, indicate sales are up an average of 21% over the first quarter of 2011, with increases in all U.S. regions, including +41% in the Midwest. The improvements are said to be related to the unusually warm winter weather experienced in much of the U.S.A.

The sales increases were nearly identical in both V-Twin and "Metric" dealers.

Lots of good information in the link with respect to Japanese manufacturers, the domestic market there, and they're exports to the world. If I'm looking at it right, it looks to me like nearly as many consumers in Japan took delivery on new 2 wheelers in 2011 as did Americans (American market shown in a graph, but looks like about 430,00; whereas the Japanese info states that in 2011, they took delivery on 407,567). Interesting though that the Japanese market last year was about 63% 50 cc and below. Also interesting, the Japanese peoples bought about 150,000 more 50 cc bikes and below than they manufactured as a country. They must be buying some Chinese bikes and scooters.

Someone help me out with a couple of things.

Am I right in assuming that V-twin dealers means either Harley Davidson or all US motorcycle dealers and metric means foreign dealers?

What does PTW stand for? I see it all the time on here and in other literature, but don't know what it represents.
@voodooaddict avatar
UTC

Hooked
Gearing up for 2013 GTS 300 Super

Hooked
@voodooaddict avatar
Gearing up for 2013 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
gregsfc wrote:
What does PTW stand for? I see it all the time on here and in other literature, but don't know what it represents.
I believe it's "Powered Two Wheels".

Thanks for posting the sales info. I really like the bit about how scooter sales are eclipsing offroad sales. I'll have to use that here in the Midwest the next time someone tells me "no one buys scooters."
@gromitdaddy avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa LX50 "Lil Piggy"

Addicted
@gromitdaddy avatar
Vespa LX50 "Lil Piggy"
UTC quote
I'd have to say I wish I could ride the freeway. On my commute, the 2 1/2 miles of freeway bridge over the river and harbor, would save me the same 2 1/2 miles through city streets that get patched once every 10 years or so, but haven't been really worked on in at least 40 years. Bumpy hell if you don't have a "real" suspension. Is it sad maybe that my bicycle has a better suspension than my Vespa?
@johnnyspade avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LXV 150

Hooked
@johnnyspade avatar
Vespa LXV 150
UTC quote
gromitdaddy wrote:
I'd have to say I wish I could ride the freeway. On my commute, the 2 1/2 miles of freeway bridge over the river and harbor, would save me the same 2 1/2 miles through city streets that get patched once every 10 years or so, but haven't been really worked on in at least 40 years. Bumpy hell if you don't have a "real" suspension. Is it sad maybe that my bicycle has a better suspension than my Vespa?
You could try adjusting your suspension a little. The tool kit that came with your scoot should have a hook spanner in it. The notched end engages the adjustment ring at the bottom of your shock, so you can turn it through the four or five notches which pre-load the spring. From the factory, it's on the softest setting, which may be preferable in your case, but it could be worth adjusting to see if it "feels" better to you.
UTC

Addicted
'09 Yamaha Zuma(sold), '06 Kymco People 250(sold), '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie, '09 Buddy Italia, '06 Buddy

Addicted
'09 Yamaha Zuma(sold), '06 Kymco People 250(sold), '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie, '09 Buddy Italia, '06 Buddy
UTC quote
dchernikoff wrote:
When I upgraded from my LX150 to a GTS250, I really wanted to be a freeway rider. But I find I just don't like it. Too stressful for me, I guess. I can do it, but after a few miles I realize I'm just not enjoying myself. The wind and noise

Funny thing is, for most of my rides it's FASTER to go side streets anyway. I

Maybe if I got a large windscreen, or a heavier bike, I'd learn to like the freeway. But a guy at work just had an accident on 880 on his Harley (not his fault, he was in the carpool lane and an idiot swerved over in front of him) and after hearing his painful horror story I'm not really that anxious to become a freeway lover...

YMMV.

+1!

My Kymco will hit freeway speeds, and has the tires/suspension to cope, but not really a lot of power beyond 65mph. Also, people fly by me at 90, then cut me off by mere inches, etc.

It goes against the whole reason I own a scooter, though I really do like going 55+ for periods of time.

Also, I commute during rush hour both ways, so the highway usually has bursts of everyone doing 99mph up my rear for a few moments followed by dead stops. I hated it in a car, I like it no better when the risk to myself is even greater.

All that being said, I have snuck in a couple of super early morning rides, and when it is wide open...pretty lovely.
UTC

Enthusiast
2010 GTS 282, 1979 P200E

Enthusiast
2010 GTS 282, 1979 P200E
UTC quote
I ride both. 880, 101 to sf, central exp and el camino. My theory is, like dissolves like. Ie, drive it like you stole it! And the pm tuning wot is loud and can be heard four or 5cars ahead. And the only way to cancel out crazy is with more crazy!
@mrkit8 avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300 Super, and a fleet of Ps

Hooked
@mrkit8 avatar
GTS 300 Super, and a fleet of Ps
UTC quote
I used to avoid them - but this year, I have been using them often. We have speed cameras here and I am always surprised when I do the speed limit (60mph) - people constantly pass me like I am standing still.
@crazycarl avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax

Ossessionato
@crazycarl avatar
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax
UTC quote
Freeway traffic here is too fast for my comfort. Going less than 70MPH makes you a hazard on the road. The tractor trailer traffic is also very heavy. The wind coming off those rigs would either blow me off into the shoulders or pull me under their wheels.

60 MPH top speed and 250 lbs of bike means I stay on the surface streets and backroads. And I won't complain a bit about it.
@gregsfc avatar
UTC

Addicted
Piaggio BV 350

Addicted
@gregsfc avatar
Piaggio BV 350
UTC quote
On a related note, the news is reporting that the speed limit has been raised in South - Central Texas to 85 mph between Austin and San Antonio. I was visiting family last year and drove that route to visit the Alamo (forgot the interstate number). That is amazing to me, as busy as that interstate is, that it would be a good thing to raise the speed limit to 85 so that people would start driving 100, instead of 85.

If I ever go to that part of Texas again, my scooter ain't hittin' that stretch of pavement.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
gregsfc wrote:
On a related note, the news is reporting that the speed limit has been raised in South - Central Texas to 85 mph between Austin and San Antonio. I was visiting family last year and drove that route to visit the Alamo (forgot the interstate number). That is amazing to me, as busy as that interstate is, that it would be a good thing to raise the speed limit to 85 so that people would start driving 100, instead of 85.

If I ever go to that part of Texas again, my scooter ain't hittin' that stretch of pavement.
The tollroads around Austin can have a maximum speed of 80mph if that's what you are talking about but it sounds like I-35 but I wouldn't really worry about it since most of the time you can't go the current posted speed limit due to congestion. Besides I don't think you can't have posted speeds of over 70 within 30 miles of a major city (urban area regulations.) Outside of urban areas numbered interstates and some state highways can "if circumstances warrant" be posted at 75. There is a stretch north of Houston going towards Dallas that is 75 but other parts are 60-65. On the scoot there are much more interesting ways of going to Dallas than on I-45.
@scootergirlinal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2012 BV 350

Ossessionato
@scootergirlinal avatar
2012 BV 350
UTC quote
cdwise wrote:
gregsfc wrote:

The tollroads around Austin can have a maximum speed of 80mph if that's what you are talking about but it sounds like I-35 but I wouldn't really worry about it since most of the time you can't go the current posted speed limit due to congestion. Besides I don't think you can't have posted speeds of over 70 within 30 miles of a major city (urban area regulations.) Outside of urban areas numbered interstates and some state highways can "if circumstances warrant" be posted at 75. There is a stretch north of Houston going towards Dallas that is 75 but other parts are 60-65. On the scoot there are much more interesting ways of going to Dallas than on I-45.
I think Greg is referring to this thread, SSR Highest speed limit in the country (U.S.): 85! with a link to an article about speed limit being raised to 85 on a stretch between Austin and San Antonio.
@gregsfc avatar
UTC

Addicted
Piaggio BV 350

Addicted
@gregsfc avatar
Piaggio BV 350
UTC quote
cdwise wrote:
gregsfc wrote:

I-35 was it, and I agree that congestion wouldn't allow it most times, but whatever this freeway is they're talking about on the news is something new; as of yesterday; not the already posted 80 mph, and it has been specified by at least one media outlet that it is from Austin to San Antonio and that it is 85 mph. It was on the network national news last night (as if it were a big newsworthy story) and on the radio this morning, but I didn't listen closely last night.

Of course my recollection of the news could be flawed, or the news media could be flawed in the details of what they are reporting, but it's created a new topic for the Big Three to talk about relating to how speed limits keep going up and up, gradually, across the country. Personally, especially in high-traffic areas, I want nothing to do with speeds at 80 and above; car or bike.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
The article linked references the toll road not I-35. The current speed limit on that tollroad is 80mph.

"The Texas Transportation Commission has approved a speed limit of 85 mph for a 41-mile toll road several miles east of the increasingly crowded Interstate 35 corridor between Austin and San Antonio."

Apparently it is money motivated because gov gets a higher percentage of tolls if the speed limit is 85 vs 80 or less. There ought to be some benefit to paying a toll and there are alternatives including the congested I-35. Though there aren't a lot of alternatives with posted speeds of under 45mph between the two. I remember looking for alternatives for some folks riding from Austin to San Antonio for Amerivespa a couple years ago.
@bushey avatar
UTC

2012 GTS 300 Super

@bushey avatar
2012 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Highway in the early morning when trafic is fluid. Back roads after work, I cant stand being stuck in trafic. Love the speed on the hwy and accelerating out of corner on the twisty backroads. Best of both words...
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0550s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0184s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]