@belkwinith avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Honda CTX 700 DN Automatic Motorcycle

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@belkwinith avatar
UTC quote
I have noticed, that since summer is now over, traffic is heavier during my commute and now, every day we have a RACE!

I mean everyone seems to have to race me to every stoplight, every stop, every exit. Every EVERYTHING!

Summer is OVER and now they can't stand a scooter in front of them.

I have to say, it make me feel quite peevish at times. There are certain portions of my commute where the right lane ends, typically just beyond a stoplight, merging into the left lane and going from a 4 lane to 2 lane road.

I am in the right lane and everytime, EVERYTIME, the car in the left lane HAS to race me.

They start creeping forward or rev'ing their engines at the light. Sometimes they start heading through the intersection before the light has even changed.

Of course they loose every time, because they just can't accellerate like my BV500.

When it happened yesterday I just shook my head as I left the guy in the dust. He tried to tailgate me then, but the car infront of me slowed to turn right, leaving me a bit of space to zip around. The car tailgating me, he almost ran into the car that was turning. I am sure he had to soak his shorts that night.

I was like "AHAHAHAHAHA!" inside my helmet. This is why I asked earlier, "Am I a Dick when I ride my scooter?"... well what do you think?
⚠️ Last edited by Belkwinith on UTC; edited 1 time
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
As long as the intersection is clear I like it.
@lothar avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GT 200L

Addicted
@lothar avatar
Vespa GT 200L
UTC quote
I have noticed the same thing now that school is on. I consult in Orange County (live in San Diego Country), and here in OC it's crazy. There are three lanes in both directions on the main drags (pun intended), and as you noted, they take off like banshees, even though you see the light ahead and it's red, with cars waiting.

At least you are on a BV 500. I have been driving by VW bus lately for a "more diverse driving experience" (everything nowadays has to be an experience). So naturally the bus does not accelerate anywhere fast enough for most of these racers, so when I pause to hit second, they are right on my bumper!

However, much fun to drive the bus, and you do not have a choice. You CAN'T race anyone
@jkdrummer avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 Aprilia SC250 (his) 2009 Aprilia Scarabeo 200 (hers)

Hooked
@jkdrummer avatar
UTC quote
Funny, I commute and don't run into those situations -- but the drivers here in the PNW are either too polite or asleep to challenge. Just be careful playing with the cagers -- there's too many freaks on the road who can really ruin your day plus we enjoy your posts/blog a lot!

PS In your subject line, it should be lose, not loose. Razz emoticon
⚠️ Last edited by jkdrummer on UTC; edited 1 time
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC

Banned

Banned
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC quote
Re: Please don't make it a race, because you will loose
Belkwinith wrote:
This is why I asked earlier, "Am I a Dick when I ride my scooter?"... well what do you think?
Wouldn't you be a Dickette?

Nerd emoticon
@zombies-nyc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2011 GTS300 Super Duper - 2014 Honda CTX700ND

Molto Verboso
@zombies-nyc avatar
2011 GTS300 Super Duper - 2014 Honda CTX700ND
UTC quote
Be a dick and be proud of it. It's war out there people keep you head on a swivel.
@hexnut avatar
UTC

Hooked
hot rod Harley Sportster

Hooked
@hexnut avatar
hot rod Harley Sportster
UTC quote
I'm sure it may happen, But I never see this around here and i ride almost every day.
@the_mocker avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2010 Orange S150

Ossessionato
@the_mocker avatar
2010 Orange S150
UTC quote
jkdrummer wrote:
but the drivers here in the PNW are either too polite or asleep to challenge. Razz emoticon
I beg to differ. This kind of shit happens to me each and every time I ride. I always remind myself that I'm not in a hurry to get to the next red light. Go ahead assholes cut me off, I'll keep enjoying the ride Razz emoticon
@markwyatt avatar
UTC

Hooked
silver 2006 GT200L

Hooked
@markwyatt avatar
silver 2006 GT200L
UTC quote
I had not one but two dickheads attempt to cut me off yesterday. The first was after a stop light, where the right turn lane turns into a yield lane and disappears shortly after the light. An HHR (whoo! real sports car there) guns his engine after the light, and I knew damn well what he was going to do. In this case I let the a-hole ahead of me...but I did raise my left hand in the universal WTF! gesture. Then, as I was heading down the street, I saw an SUV at a cross street starting to inch out from the left. I covered my brakes and then saw that he was going to go for it. I made sure I was ready for the attempted T-boning but stood my ground. Very satisfyingly, the guy stopped halfway through the turn. I screamed "Really?" and kept on going. Some days...

So no, Belkwinith, you're not driving like a dick/dickette...you're merely restoring the karmic balance.
@mikeyl avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2010 Vespa Volcanic Black GTS 300 Super "Marta"

Molto Verboso
@mikeyl avatar
2010 Vespa Volcanic Black GTS 300 Super "Marta"
UTC quote
I mostly use my scoot for commuting and where I live there aren't too many four lane roads, so I really don't have issues where cagers or ptw's try to get ahead of me. I usually am WOT from a stop or red light until I get to the speed limit then I level off, so it would be hard for anybody to get ahead of me anyway.

With that said, If I knew that a cager was trying to be ahead of me at all costs, I'll let them go. In a collision, I'd lose every time.
@markwyatt avatar
UTC

Hooked
silver 2006 GT200L

Hooked
@markwyatt avatar
silver 2006 GT200L
UTC quote
MikeyL wrote:
With that said, If I knew that a cager was trying to be ahead of me at all costs, I'll let them go. In a collision, I'd lose every time.
Oh, for sure, and I hope I didn't insinuate otherwise. I'd rather "lose" and live to ride another day than "win" and...well, you know.
@bluebuddha avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Kitted ET4.

Molto Verboso
@bluebuddha avatar
Kitted ET4.
UTC quote
That's Los Angeles 365 days a year! And usually led by soccer moms in SUVs....no offense to soccer moms out there. Ride safe...
@gromitdaddy avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa LX50 "Lil Piggy"

Addicted
@gromitdaddy avatar
Vespa LX50 "Lil Piggy"
UTC quote
Happens to me all the time. I just let them go... 0-30 in 5 days is not condusive to racing
UTC

Addicted
'09 Yamaha Zuma(sold), '06 Kymco People 250(sold), '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie, '09 Buddy Italia, '06 Buddy

Addicted
'09 Yamaha Zuma(sold), '06 Kymco People 250(sold), '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie, '09 Buddy Italia, '06 Buddy
UTC quote
I too have notices this.

Other 2-wheelers are less likely to wave.

Cagers are aggressive, and glaring.

I know fall is coming, but why are people so grumpy about it?
OP
@belkwinith avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@belkwinith avatar
UTC quote
My BF sez:

This is because everyone has to deal with getting their kids out the door or to school and they are always running later than during the summer time commute.

Same thing with going home, have to pick up kids or shuttle them around and running late to get the kids to various events.

Seems logical to me.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Plus they are probably pissed over the anti-rabbit folks in North Haven
OP
@belkwinith avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@belkwinith avatar
UTC quote
stickyfrog wrote:
Plus they are probably pissed over the anti-rabbit folks in North Haven
ROFL emoticon

you really have toooo much time on your hands.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Yeah it is feast or famine around here.
UTC

Hooked
GTS 250

Hooked
GTS 250
UTC quote
race
Here in the New Orleans area they LOVE to wait till the last and turn from the other lane ( ie. cross a lane, or two to turn). Especially since they are in "more of a rush" transporting the kiddies for school. I got a high-viz colored jacket and that has helped. The orange reflective flagman's vest was not enough. Still, just installed 136db horn. Just MAY BE those Expeditions and Armandas will get off the phone long enough to check before merging and changing lanes.
@voneschenbach avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
A fracking cage sadly

Ossessionato
@voneschenbach avatar
A fracking cage sadly
UTC quote
Wednesday was the first day of school in Seattle and the amount of traffic and impatient crazy stuff quadrupled. Hoping it will get back to normal soon but the first day of the quarter for the college squids is just around the corner. And then it starts raining and getting dark at 4pm. Crying or Very sad emoticon Crying or Very sad emoticon Crying or Very sad emoticon
@dkw12002 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 Vespa GTV300 with ABS, 2015 GSX-r600, 2015 CB300F

Hooked
@dkw12002 avatar
2016 Vespa GTV300 with ABS, 2015 GSX-r600, 2015 CB300F
UTC quote
It's generally pick-up trucks that seem to want to get ahead of me and of course I let them. I even let them when I'm on my motorcycle and see they want to race cause even if I get out ahead of them, which I always can cause it goes 0-60 mph in about 3 seconds, that really ticks them off and they speed to try and catch up, then eventually if they do, they sit on my tail and are obviously angry. To avoid this, I just let aggressive drivers go ahead. I usually do try to get out ahead of regular drivers even if I am on my Vespa though. I think it's safer out front.
@shanghai_dan avatar
UTC

Addicted
MP3 500 - Black Sunshine

Addicted
@shanghai_dan avatar
MP3 500 - Black Sunshine
UTC quote
The nice thing about being on a decently large scooter in SoCal is that not only can I keep up easily with freeway/highway traffic and jackrabbit starts, but when those aggressive guys get ahead (I let them pull ahead too), I almost invariably filter by them at the next stoplight or traffic jam.

Sure, they can go fast for a block and I'll let them think they are "so quick" - but I can keep moving even if traffic is stopped and usually end up miles ahead in no time.

PS: having grown up in Seattle, and realized the futility of all-year riding, I'm loving Santa Barbara (when I'm there)!
@jkdrummer avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@jkdrummer avatar
UTC quote
voneschenbach wrote:
Wednesday was the first day of school in Seattle and the amount of traffic and impatient crazy stuff quadrupled. Hoping it will get back to normal soon but the first day of the quarter for the college squids is just around the corner. And then it starts raining and getting dark at 4pm. Crying or Very sad emoticon Crying or Very sad emoticon Crying or Very sad emoticon
I hear ya totally! I liked those wide open lanes when school was out -- over so quickly.
@rail_50 avatar
UTC

Addicted
BV 500 Bagger, Atlantic 500, Stella 150 4T, Mojito Custom 150, Baron 150.

Addicted
@rail_50 avatar
BV 500 Bagger, Atlantic 500, Stella 150 4T, Mojito Custom 150, Baron 150.
UTC quote
skully93 wrote:
I too have notices this.

Other 2-wheelers are less likely to wave.

Cagers are aggressive, and glaring.

I heard a squealing sound as a Toyota Tercel tried to keep up with me yesterday. My co-worker who owns a Hyabusa gets the same thing. I think people are less civilized (in cars). As for waves, I get them from most 2 wheelers.
@voneschenbach avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
A fracking cage sadly

Ossessionato
@voneschenbach avatar
A fracking cage sadly
UTC quote
Shanghai Dan wrote:
The nice thing about being on a decently large scooter in SoCal is that not only can I keep up easily with freeway/highway traffic and jackrabbit starts, but when those aggressive guys get ahead (I let them pull ahead too), I almost invariably filter by them at the next stoplight or traffic jam.

Sure, they can go fast for a block and I'll let them think they are "so quick" - but I can keep moving even if traffic is stopped and usually end up miles ahead in no time.

PS: having grown up in Seattle, and realized the futility of all-year riding, I'm loving Santa Barbara (when I'm there)!
Oh rub it in. Razz emoticon
@the_mocker avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2010 Orange S150

Ossessionato
@the_mocker avatar
2010 Orange S150
UTC quote
Shanghai Dan wrote:
PS: having grown up in Seattle, and...realizing that I'm not cut out for all-year riding, I'm loving Santa Barbara (when I'm there)!
Fixed it for you Razz emoticon
@shanghai_dan avatar
UTC

Addicted
MP3 500 - Black Sunshine

Addicted
@shanghai_dan avatar
MP3 500 - Black Sunshine
UTC quote
The Mocker wrote:
Shanghai Dan wrote:
PS: having grown up in Seattle, and...realizing that I'm not cut out for all-year riding, I'm loving Santa Barbara (when I'm there)!
Fixed it for you Razz emoticon
Ha! After 40 days straight of a 90 mile commute (Mt. Vernon to Woodinville, I was born and raised in Ballard, baby - first 23 years!) in 40 degree rain, right down I-5 to I-405 then 520, I wised up, sold my Kawasaki cruiser, and bought a pickup. That was 20 years ago...

Now, Santa Barbara? IF it rains, just wait 10 minutes, the sun will be back... And cold? MAYBE gets down to 40 degrees at the coldest at night. In January. Twice.

The move has made riding infinitely more fun and spontaneous. Never having to wrestle with rain gear is really quite nice, nor worrying about a riding jacket and gloves that are warm enough. Or if I really want to wire in heated grips and gear. I go back and visit the Puget Sound area a few times a year, but I really don't miss the Oct-June rainfest!
@the_mocker avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2010 Orange S150

Ossessionato
@the_mocker avatar
2010 Orange S150
UTC quote
That kind of commute might change my mind too Dan. There is something about being out in the cold and rain that I just love.
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150
UTC quote
Shanghai Dan wrote:

You know it's even nicer when I'm on my little bike that has no chance of outrunning the cagers from the lite. That's in Athens, no lane sharing/shoulder running in Seattle so I don't try to 'compete' here. ...that much.
@gregsfc avatar
UTC

Addicted
Piaggio BV 350

Addicted
@gregsfc avatar
Piaggio BV 350
UTC quote
If you rode a BV500 along my routes, people wouldn't even know that it is a scooter. The only reaction you would get is that some would slow down and stare. People in the rural TN recognize scooters only if they are of the small-wheel variety; light blue or pink. They've never even seen contraptions like ours and don't know what to think or how to react. When drivers see my BV350, I get that... "what in the hell is that" look. I used to ride a Honda Elite 80, and I got that... "look at that dumb ass on that scooter" look, but not any more. Many must think I'm an alien on an alien vessel.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
No judgement on anyone else, but it takes twp people to race or compete and I refuse to take part. I also do not "personalize" car or other vehicles. Keeps my head in the right place.

But there are always people out there who go to crazy extremes to get you to acknowledge them. In those cases I just give them my best saccharin smile and keep moving.
@shanghai_dan avatar
UTC

Addicted
MP3 500 - Black Sunshine

Addicted
@shanghai_dan avatar
MP3 500 - Black Sunshine
UTC quote
The Mocker wrote:
That kind of commute might change my mind too Dan. There is something about being out in the cold and rain that I just love.
I love it sometimes, too... Now I get to choose when...

Of course, I'm over in China right now (7 more days to go), so no scooting down here; got some mods ready to roll (parts all ordered) when I return. I do have a small 150cc Chinese scoot I use around Shanghai, but that's mainly to putt down to the grocery store and the like - nothing long distance or on any major arterials or highways. Even though I've lived half-time over here for nearly 7 years, the traffic still freaks me out.

How to survive Chinese drivers? Assume EVERYONE will do the exact opposite of what should be done (left from the right lane, run a red light, change lanes from a clear lane to a congested lane, back up on a highway, etc) and you'll get it right 90% of the time...
OP
@belkwinith avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@belkwinith avatar
UTC quote
FYI - They have the race mentality. Not me.

A BV 500 can accelerate off the stop and go from zero to 35 in just a few seconds.

I am already far ahead of anyone before they can even hit 10 mph. And I am not racing, I am just twisting and going.

The horsepower to weight ratio far favors the scooter.

Cars can make it a race all they want, and my scooter will continue to out perform a car from a stop, every time.

Because I am woman on a scooter, they just plain don't want me in front of them. They think scooters = slow. Well, they are wrong.
@lazybones avatar
UTC

Hooked
-----2006 LX 150-----

Hooked
@lazybones avatar
-----2006 LX 150-----
UTC quote
I am woman. Hear me roar.
Belkwinith wrote:
I am woman on a scooter...
How do they know you're female? Do you have your long locks flowing out of your helmet? Do you wear pink gear? Do you have a lean voluptous body frame? Or are you just assuming that they know you're someone of the fairer sex.
OP
@belkwinith avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@belkwinith avatar
UTC quote
Re: I am woman. Hear me roar.
L.A.zybones wrote:
Belkwinith wrote:
How do they know you're female? Do you have your long locks flowing out of your helmet? Do you wear pink gear? Do you have a lean voluptous body frame? Or are you just assuming that they know you're someone of the fairer sex.
really? I guess I do look pretty manly.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@lazybones avatar
UTC

Hooked
-----2006 LX 150-----

Hooked
@lazybones avatar
-----2006 LX 150-----
UTC quote
Re: I am woman. Hear me roar.
Belkwinith wrote:
L.A.zybones wrote:
Belkwinith wrote:
really? I guess I do look pretty manly.
Well that pic sure answered my question. Razz emoticon
You are a Venus on a scooter. Even though I can't see your mug under that helmet I'll assume it's as fetching as what is from the neck down.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
I had something similar happen today on my way into work. A Porsche shot off the green light beside me. I just let off my throttle and let it get into my lane as the road narrowed. Not a question in my mind I could have beat it to the lane merge, but why? I am more than happy to let it be the first through the light so anyone running it will smash them and not me.

Nothing wrong with you enjoying your scooter to its fullest abilities, we just have very different mind sets (which is what I was getting at earlier).
@shanghai_dan avatar
UTC

Addicted
MP3 500 - Black Sunshine

Addicted
@shanghai_dan avatar
MP3 500 - Black Sunshine
UTC quote
Lola wants wrote:
I had something similar happen today on my way into work. A Porsche shot off the green light beside me. I just let off my throttle and let it get into my lane as the road narrowed. Not a question in my mind I could have beat it to the lane merge, but why? I am more than happy to let it be the first through the light so anyone running it will smash them and not me.

Nothing wrong with you enjoying your scooter to its fullest abilities, we just have very different mind sets (which is what I was getting at earlier).
I like to have a rabbit in front - they can get the speeding ticket, not me...
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0490s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0141s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]