OP
@eyeballbill avatar
UTC

Hooked
2013 Yamaha Majesty / 2008 Vespa GTS (sold)

Hooked
@eyeballbill avatar
UTC quote
I know it's no big deal to most of you - changing the oil in your Vespa is no more of a challenge than brushing your teeth - but it was something I have previously only trusted to a motorcycle shop. I have not changed oil in a vehicle since the mid 70's, and at that time it seemed like a big messy pain in the ass, so I have always paid someone to do it for me.

No more. I used this forum for information, gathered up the tools, bought me some oil and oil filters and did it. I didn't spill a drop!

Now I have some confidence to continue to do my own maintenance. I planned to remove and clean the air filter, but realized I will have to take off the crash bars to get to it, so I need to allow myself more time.

One little victory at a time!
@midnight_rider avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
09 GTS (sold) 2014 NC700XD

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@midnight_rider avatar
09 GTS (sold) 2014 NC700XD
UTC quote
Well done!
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Good job! I am proud of your courage and success. The more you do it, the better you will get. Take your time and enjoy each step (no matter if it is easy or demanding.) When in doubt, ask a question.
@vintage_red_matthew avatar
UTC

MV Santa
GTS250, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown

MV Santa
UTC quote
Hey Bill, aren't you due for a belt change? I'm not suggesting that you do it yourself but you could come over to my or Maxs' house and you could watch us do it. We would be glad to.
@vader19 avatar
UTC

Mr. Clean
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special

Mr. Clean
@vader19 avatar
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special
UTC quote
Re: Success for the Mechanically Challenged
eyeballbill wrote:
I used this forum for information, gathered up the tools, bought me some oil and oil filters and did it.
This forum is truly an invaluable service to scooterists everywhere. It really is. And it's a heck of a lot of fun. I don't get a chance that often to thank our host, but your post inspired me... so Thank You Jess, Moderators, and Sponsors... sincerely!

(I'll wipe the brown off my nose later)
UTC

Hooked
2007 250 GTS

Hooked
2007 250 GTS
UTC quote
vintage red matthew wrote:
Hey Bill, aren't you due for a belt change? I'm not suggesting that you do it yourself but you could come over to my or Maxs' house and you could watch us do it. We would be glad to.
Bill, I would take Matt and Max up on their offer. I have done the belt roller change myself after watching several you-tube videos and it wasn't too bad but I wish I had 2 nice guys like these two offer to show me how to do the change. Good Luck!!
@strick avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 Ducati Multistrada 950S

Ossessionato
@strick avatar
2021 Ducati Multistrada 950S
UTC quote
Nice work!

This is just the beginning. Welcome to a whole new world of Vespa maintenance!
@raiderfn31 avatar
UTC

Banned
PGO Buddy 150 "St Tropez" imported by Genuine scooter co.

Banned
@raiderfn31 avatar
PGO Buddy 150 "St Tropez" imported by Genuine scooter co.
UTC quote
Brother you did good. I started at changing the oil. Now I'm doing valve adjustments. You have to be careful with not over-tightening. And thread the bolts very carefully. Other than that, you can look like a pro doing this shit. Good luck.
@1markc avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2011 Vespa 300 GTV

Enthusiast
@1markc avatar
2011 Vespa 300 GTV
UTC quote
No more. I used this forum for information, gathered up the tools, bought me some oil and oil filters and did it. I didn't spill a drop!

Now I have some confidence to continue to do my own maintenance. I planned to remove and clean the air filter, but realized I will have to take off the crash bars to get to it, so I need to allow myself more time.

One little victory at a time![/quote]

Nice! Its satisfying to do your own general maint. and know it was done correctly. Its also a good time to clean little pieces and places and check nuts and bolts. Good job on not spilling a drop! Where they put that drain plug on my gtv and especially the gear oil drain plug is a challenge. My other scoots and motorcycle are much easier. Last....I did take my air filter out and clean it. A little hassle but not bad. I did NOT have to remove my crash bars to get the filer out. Theres a couple youtube vids showing the procedure. Good luck!
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Clap emoticon Clap emoticon Clap emoticon
OP
@eyeballbill avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@eyeballbill avatar
UTC quote
1markc wrote:
Last....I did take my air filter out and clean it. A little hassle but not bad. I did NOT have to remove my crash bars to get the filer out. Theres a couple youtube vids showing the procedure. Good luck!
Did you manage to get the air filter cover off while leaving the crash bars alone and without taking off the plastic cowl piece? What kind of crash bars do you have? Mine are the Vespa OEM bars and they sit square in front of the plastic cowl piece.
OP
@eyeballbill avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@eyeballbill avatar
UTC quote
vintage red matthew wrote:
I'm at about 6300 miles, so I think the belt should be OK for about another 2-3K. What do you think?

I do want to get with you and/or Max some weekend before it gets too cold and sort out the glove box issue I've been having. It still works OK, but sticks more and more, so I think it needs some attention.
@cheetohh avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@cheetohh avatar
UTC quote
Congrats it must feel good to have saved all that money. Drunk Parrot has some excellent Videos on youtube. I'm due for oil change & new rear tire but I caved in and am going to dealer.
UTC

MV Santa

MV Santa
UTC quote
The belt will be due at 9k. You should be OK for a while. We would be glad to fix your glovebox. It's not too hard. I will be busy this weekend but maybe next. Or we could wait until the next Twisters ride on October 7.
@1markc avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2011 Vespa 300 GTV

Enthusiast
@1markc avatar
2011 Vespa 300 GTV
UTC quote
eyeballbill wrote:
1markc wrote:
Last....I did take my air filter out and clean it. A little hassle but not bad. I did NOT have to remove my crash bars to get the filer out. Theres a couple youtube vids showing the procedure. Good luck!
Did you manage to get the air filter cover off while leaving the crash bars alone and without taking off the plastic cowl piece? What kind of crash bars do you have? Mine are the Vespa OEM bars and they sit square in front of the plastic cowl piece.
Yes mine to...you can unsnap that cowl piece your talking about and manuver it under the crash bar to remove it. Then you can remove the screws from the side where the cowl was and I remember going through the engine compartment to remove a couple screws that were on the very top of the filter cover.
@1markc avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2011 Vespa 300 GTV

Enthusiast
@1markc avatar
2011 Vespa 300 GTV
UTC quote
eyeballbill wrote:
1markc wrote:
Yes mine to...you can unsnap that cowl piece your talking about and manuver it under the crash bar to remove it. Then you can remove the screws from the side where the cowl was and I remember going through the engine compartment to remove a couple screws that were on the very top of the filter cover.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0310s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0087s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]