OP
UTC

UTC quote
Ok, it's been a while since I have been on here as I've had a busy summer. I've only just really started over the last week or so, but I'm hoping to get 'Orvil' through an MOT by the end of Sept after he's been off the road for the last 6 years.

Everything works/runs now. Jobs done so far;

New Battery
Oil & Filter Change
Air Filter Clean
Tyres inflated
Loose connection on horn sorted
Seat replaced
Replaced kick panel beading

The hinge on my seat was completly shot and just turned to dust when I opened it the first couple of times. I scoured ebay for a replacement, but couldn't find a Tan one at the right price. I gambled on a used seat with torn grey vinyl. I stripped both seats and combined the best parts to make one seat. I was a bit ambitious with trying to reuse the existing Tan vinyl cover. This backfired and the cover split near the nose of the seat. It's been bodged with gaffer tape for now which will do for the MOT.

Next week I will be turning my attention to the cosmetics and have the following arriving;

New kick panel (unpainted)
New headlight
New rear indicator
Used exhaust heat shield

I am planning on respraying all of the body panels and attending to a couple of dents and dings on both the metal and plastic panels. I'm alos going to refresh the exhaust.

I've never done body work before but have watched many automotive tv programmes and am going to give it a go. One question I have is that I'm not sure before resraying whether I need to sand the existing paint off, or just rough it up for a key for the new paint?

I'm respaying in the same colour (Black), is there a paint code/name so I can ensure a match. I just want to do a spray can job. The Kick Panel is just naked plastic, so presumably I'll have to prime it first? With the exhaust, will I need ro use a special paint to resist the heat?

If anybody can give me any advice on bodywork, it'd be much appreciated?

My helmet arrives on Monday and I have my CBT next Friday. Hoping to get a few fair weather days in before the the rain and snow!
UTC

Enthusiast
MP3 400 and Fly 125 and TMax

Enthusiast
MP3 400 and Fly 125 and TMax
UTC quote
I like your approach; just have a go and you will learn how to do the bodywork. Fill gradually so you don't create work by having to remove lots of excess. Then use wet&dry paper, finishing on about 1200 grade. I rub down again after priming and then again after a coat or two of the finish. BBQ high heat paint is what you need for the exhaust and make sure all paint and oil/dirt is off first. Don't be surprised if the exhaust needs redoing after as little as 6 months. It would be a good idea (some would say essential) to renew both tyres if they have been on it for 6(+?) years. Some say tyres should be changed after 3 years, even if they look good. Personally I change my vehicle tyres after 5-6 years even if they have a legal tread. The rubber goes hard and/or cracks and detrimentally affects grip.
Good luck
jegemba
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0238s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0042s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]