OP
@wangta avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'10 GTS 300 Super, '79 Vespa P200E, '04 Vespa PX200, 2011 SportCity 300 Cube [Sold]

Ossessionato
@wangta avatar
'10 GTS 300 Super, '79 Vespa P200E, '04 Vespa PX200, 2011 SportCity 300 Cube [Sold]
UTC quote
Hey guys,

So I have this '79 P200E that I bought 5 years ago - it's been sitting in my Vermont garage half assembled.

As some of you may recall, i repainted this and a PX200 way back in 2009. I rode the PX200 out to California, but left the P200E in Vermont with my folks.

I am looking to sell/unload the P200 and wanted to ask you guys for some advice:

1. As you can see in the pics below, it's half built. I have all the pieces but am wondering if it's worth my time to put everything back on. Would it increase value/price if I had all the parts installed?

2. Engine worked great prior to disassembly. However, during the rebuild process, I took off the topend to examine the cylinder and accidently chipped off a portion of the cylinder head (while trying to pry it loose). It's in a spot that shouldn't affect the compression but I have yet to put it back on and give it a try.

3. The paint we used for this was Omni and it was a terrible paint job. I think we may have used too much hardener as the paint is now peeling in a couple spots (see pics below), with primer exposed (no metal is exposed). I'm assuming whomever purchases would want to respay it or just ride as is (with primer showing in spots). I'm not exactly sure why the paint is cracking/peeling - admittedly, this was my first paint job and am in no way an expert!

4. The body and parts were in great shape prior to dissassembly and painting (see pinstripe pictures prior to painting).

6. Would be sold with tan PX200 seat and almost new super corsa seat.

7. Springs/suspension replaced with springs from the 2004 PX200 (I installed Bitubos on the PX so I moved the stock suspension to this P200).

So not sure what the best thing to do is.

1. Should I rebuild the bike? No way in hell am I repainting it! I'll accept the reduction in price due to the crappy paint job.

2. Not sure what fair pricing would be for something like this as is vs. rebuilt with bad paint.

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Here is the original thread that followed the repainting/rebuilding process:

P200 and PX200 Project Update [Updated!]

PrePainting Picture (how I bought the scooter - bought it from Doug Day at Vespa Hartford - I have all the paperwork):

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

Current State:

@trumpyscooter avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Black 2007 PX200, Dark green 1986 PX225 Pinasco, "1972"(yeah rite) Tangerine px200, several TRIUMPH TIGRESS SCOOTERS

Molto Verboso
@trumpyscooter avatar
Black 2007 PX200, Dark green 1986 PX225 Pinasco, "1972"(yeah rite) Tangerine px200, several TRIUMPH TIGRESS SCOOTERS
UTC quote
Crying or Very sad emoticon

leave it and sell it as is, someone competent has to take it all apart re-do that paint and put it together again anyhow.

Shame though, the original colour was awesome, just needed a reduction of that free hand pinstripe, which could of been done with 1200 grit or a T-cut and polish.

Still, bigger job putting one together than taking it apart aye.
UTC

Hooked
1980 P200E, 2012 SYM HD200 Evo

Hooked
UTC quote
Unless my eyes are shot, that photo under the seat appears to show bare metal. Only pointing this out because it would mean your surface prep failed and resulted in the primer not bonding to the bare metal. I won't go into a discussion on metal prep, but the point is that you're probably going to start rusting and getting more paint lift. This requires a complete strip to bare metal.

Given that our P's don't have that much value to begin with, I would have to say do NOT spend energy to put this back together just to sell it- it's not worth your time, and somebody else will just have to dismantle it to completely strip and repaint it.

Just advertise it as it is- a vespa that was repainted but never put back together and really needs a new repaint/reassembly. Would make an awesome winter project for someone, provided you properly bagged and tagged all of the remaining parts.

Don't know what to suggest for a price in your area. I would expect this to be in the 600-750 range here in Atlanta. Hope you can find a good solution to get it to a new owner..
OP
@wangta avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@wangta avatar
UTC quote
TrumpyScooter wrote:

leave it and sell it as is, someone competent has to take it all apart re-do that paint and put it together again anyhow.

Shame though, the original colour was awesome, just needed a reduction of that free hand pinstripe, which could of been done with 1200 grit or a T-cut and polish.

Thanks guys. The photo is too light due to the sun - I just checked under the seat and it is indeed primed. I worried given the moisture here in VT during the summer, that it would rust, but everything is covered with at least primer.

Not exactly sure what happened with the paint. I did this scoot first as a "tester". The paint I used was cheaper than the PPG I used on the PX, but still, it shouldn't be peeling like this, right? I'm guessing I messed up the mix of paint to hardner but that is just a hunch.

FYI, the other scooter came out much better - actually really nice. Again, it was PPG paint and about 2x as much as the Omni I used on this one.

Here is a picture of the other one I repainted right after this one - paint still looks good:

OP
@wangta avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@wangta avatar
UTC quote
Dabears wrote:
Unless my eyes are shot, that photo under the seat appears to show bare metal. Only pointing this out because it would mean your surface prep failed and resulted in the primer not bonding to the bare metal. I won't go into a discussion on metal prep, but the point is that you're probably going to start rusting and getting more paint lift. This requires a complete strip to bare metal.

Given that our P's don't have that much value to begin with, I would have to say do NOT spend energy to put this back together just to sell it- it's not worth your time, and somebody else will just have to dismantle it to completely strip and repaint it.

Just advertise it as it is- a vespa that was repainted but never put back together and really needs a new repaint/reassembly. Would make an awesome winter project for someone, provided you properly bagged and tagged all of the remaining parts.

Don't know what to suggest for a price in your area. I would expect this to be in the 600-750 range here in Atlanta. Hope you can find a good solution to get it to a new owner..
Thanks Dabears - that range might be right. I was thinking maybe $1,500 but I may be too optimistic. Actually, given how easily the paint on the frame peels, I was thinking it would be pretty easy to remove the paint, right?!

Honestly, at that price range, I'd rather just keep it and fix it up over time. I love the lines of the P scoots!
⚠️ Last edited by Wangta on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
@wangta avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@wangta avatar
UTC quote
TrumpyScooter wrote:

Hah, yeah - some people really liked that original color - it wasn't for me. I am not a fan of crimson (despite that being my school colors!).
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Wangta wrote:
Thanks Dabears - that range might be right. I was thinking maybe $1,500 but I may be too optimistic. Actually, given how easily the paint on the frame peels, I was thinking it would be pretty easy to remove the paint, right?!

Honestly, at that price range, I'd rather just keep it and fix it up over time. I love the lines of the P scoots!
Well given that you have an abundance of nice scooters already there's certainly no harm in keeping that one around as a future project when you have time for it!
OP
@wangta avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@wangta avatar
UTC quote
Dabears wrote:
Wangta wrote:

Well given that you have an abundance of nice scooters already there's certainly no harm in keeping that one around as a future project when you have time for it!
Hah - true...I think I have a problem. I promised not to buy any more scooters...I'm unloading the SportCity this month, so I'll hopefully be down to three - GTS Super and 2 P scoots!
UTC

Addicted
Vespa PX200

Addicted
Vespa PX200
UTC quote
Wangta wrote:
I love the lines of the P scoots!
How wonderfully refreshing to hear compliments for the 'P' range. It always gets talked down against the so called 'purity of line' of the earlier ones which are, in my view, ergonomically disastrous. It always irks me that the front brake lever angle on the 'P' was never corrected, even more so that they left it at the same angle when recasting the handlebar bottom for the disc brake in the late '90s.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0289s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0028s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]