OP
@diggerthemod avatar
UTC

64 VNB

@diggerthemod avatar
64 VNB
UTC quote
Hi all, i've been reading some posts on here from owners of VBB's and VNB's about upgrading their engines and some said about p200 and PX engines and being able to keep the 8 inch wheels, can anyone confirm that i wasnt seeing things and that there are people out there that have upgraded their old engines to a new engine and retained the wheel size? if this is the case then can someone explain how this is done as i've been allways led to believe you have to convert the wheels to 10 inch in order to have a newer engine, can anyone help?? if anyone can help that would be great. thanks.
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150
UTC quote
Yeah, I can see wanting to keep your 8s but have some more power. I think you could find the pieces to do it, but unless you go inside and change the gears as well as just the hub & external bits, it'd be geared REALLY low. Probably wouldn't even need first gear and you'd be winding the piss out of it in fourth.

If your VNB is a 4 speed and otherwise healthy, you might try a 177 kit, pipe & bigger carb. Less money and getting close enuff to stock P200 power, depending on the kit. More than stock w/ a 200 probably isn't a good plan for an old VNB on 8s anyway.

My VNB is a three speed & I luv the 8s. I might put a 150 top on it w/ a 20/20, but that's enuff for me on 8s.

How fast you trying to go? How fast you go now?
@gickspeed avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@gickspeed avatar
UTC quote
Re: Changing the engine on a VNB but keeping the 8inch wheel
DiggertheMod wrote:
Hi all, i've been reading some posts on here from owners of VBB's and VNB's about upgrading their engines and some said about p200 and PX engines and being able to keep the 8 inch wheels, can anyone confirm that i wasnt seeing things and that there are people out there that have upgraded their old engines to a new engine and retained the wheel size? if this is the case then can someone explain how this is done as i've been allways led to believe you have to convert the wheels to 10 inch in order to have a newer engine, can anyone help?? if anyone can help that would be great. thanks.
Transfer your backplate, brake shoes, and hub from you vnb enigne to your P engine.

your gearing will be 8% less.
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC quote
V oodoo wrote:
More than stock w/ a 200 probably isn't a good plan for an old VNB on 8s anyway.
Heh heh, pretty sure there're exceptions. Razz emoticon

So Mr Gick, how fast you go on 8s & what kinda motor?
OP
@diggerthemod avatar
UTC

64 VNB

@diggerthemod avatar
64 VNB
UTC quote
Thanks gick!! learn something new everyday!! I let my mechanic friend know who swore blind it couldnt be done!
OP
@diggerthemod avatar
UTC

64 VNB

@diggerthemod avatar
64 VNB
UTC quote
Hi Voodoo
Mine is a 4 speed and runs normally very well, i have the usual Mod adorned stuff on it so wanted a little extra power to pull the added weight, i've a problem with the electrics (suprise suprise) and going through condensors like theres no tomorrow so it the process of upgrading to 12v and thought about upgrading the engine, its a 125 bored to a 150 and without the xmas tree lights on the front pulls pretty well i must say.
I dont particular want to go FAST but something better than 40-45 would be nice but its just the power i'm more after. Maybe the 177 kit might do the trick! thanks.
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC quote
Maybe first just a bigger carb if you're still running the original? And a little Honda generator on the back? Clown emoticon

Possibility:
Put LEDs in your fancy lites & run 'em off a separate 12V battery in your toolbox. Charge the battery once in a while & you're good to go. I run all the lites on one bike that way, 6V Rally 180 motor only does the ignition.
UTC

Hooked
61 vnb

Hooked
61 vnb
UTC quote
Pinnasco 177, 20/20 carb and a good pipe . As fast as you will ever want to go on an 8 inch with drum brakes . Nice kit can just be bolted on or matched with very little effort . Your scoot will cruz at 60mph. you may want to match the carb .
@akp avatar
UTC

TEAM #68
ET4 & GT160

TEAM #68
@akp avatar
ET4 & GT160
UTC quote
Donky Punch wrote:
Pinnasco 177, 20/20 carb and a good pipe . As fast as you will ever want to go on an 8 inch with drum brakes . Nice kit can just be bolted on or matched with very little effort . Your scoot will cruz at 60mph. you may want to match the carb .
Not a 24/24 with that kit?
UTC

Hooked
61 vnb

Hooked
61 vnb
UTC quote
No 20/20 is perfect for that kit
@vader19 avatar
UTC

Mr. Clean
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special

Mr. Clean
@vader19 avatar
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special
UTC quote
A 24/24 is perfect for that kit too.
UTC

Hooked
61 vnb

Hooked
61 vnb
UTC quote
Isn't a 24/24 a bit more than needed for that kit ? I've found that an upjet with 20/20 runs in perfect balance . Not that you can't run a 24 it just isn't needed .
UTC

Hooked
61 vnb

Hooked
61 vnb
UTC quote
Also matching a 24/24 will be more work .
@vader19 avatar
UTC

Mr. Clean
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special

Mr. Clean
@vader19 avatar
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special
UTC quote
It might not be necessary, but all the peeps I know (including myself / not including you ) with either a pinasco 177, a polini, or a M166 run a 24/24... like I said I'm sure a 20/20 would do the job just fine, but the 24/24 go like dream of hot woman.
OP
@diggerthemod avatar
UTC

64 VNB

@diggerthemod avatar
64 VNB
UTC quote
WOW this is a great site and you guys are superb with your advice and tips and i'm gutted i didnt come on here before when i had problems, you probably would have saved me some cash!!!
Gonna ask one more thing....in the process of maybe buying a GS150 and want to put a P lump in it but have been told the frame would need cutting but dont wanna do that, i've also heard there are 3 brackets that can be applied to save on cutting, anyone have any experience with putting a bigger lump on a GS150 ? thanks
@gickspeed avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@gickspeed avatar
UTC quote
V oodoo wrote:
V oodoo wrote:
More than stock w/ a 200 probably isn't a good plan for an old VNB on 8s anyway.
So Mr Gick, how fast you go on 8s & what kinda motor?
on the GickSpeed SPL', i am running Malossi P200 cases, GickSpeed 210, Tamini conversion crank w/procross conrod, Vortex 24, MMW cosa 2.0 clutch, lightend Ducati Flywheel, proprietery upgear.

Shifting into 4th gear at 55 mph. Bike goes into the 70's. rider craps himself around 65.

yes, on 8"s.
@otis avatar
UTC

Hooked
1973 super w/ 8" P200 conversion, 1965 V90, 2009 GTV w/ sidecar, 1974 Super 150

Hooked
@otis avatar
1973 super w/ 8" P200 conversion, 1965 V90, 2009 GTV w/ sidecar, 1974 Super 150
UTC quote
I have a buddy who has a P200 lump in a VBB where all he did was switch over to the 8". He upgraded to a PWK 24mm and an expansion chamber and the bike screams. He has ridden it for close to a year now on long WOT rides and never a problem. Did the same thing with a P125 motor on a VNB and it screams too.

I thought they would blow up by now, luckily I was wrong.

That said, there is a thread somewhere on Stella Speed about changing the clutch to a different amount of teeth that some how equals out the original gearing.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0303s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0072s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]