OP
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC

Banned

Banned
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC quote
Around here, the city's railroad track crossings are brutal affairs that can jar your soul if you cross them at anything more than a walk...sometimes a slow walk at that.

It's bad enough with a motorcycle, but a scooter must present a unique experience and require a bit of technique to span these damn canyons without falling into them, never to be seen again.

Nerd emoticon
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
I can't recall it ever being a problem.
@wmak avatar
UTC

Moto Giro Titan
2009 GTS 250 Super Lucrezia Borgia, 2013 Ducati Hyperstrada, Little Big Red,2020 Zero SR/S, Zeus, Electric Dragon

Moto Giro Titan
@wmak avatar
2009 GTS 250 Super Lucrezia Borgia, 2013 Ducati Hyperstrada, Little Big Red,2020 Zero SR/S, Zeus, Electric Dragon
UTC quote
Loosen you grip a bit and ride on. You should ride some of these Italian secondary roads. They make Kentucky cold patch seem like the autobahn.
@witch avatar
UTC

Moderatrice Strega

Moderatrice Strega
@witch avatar
UTC quote
I slow down a tad, look for what seems to be the smoothest path, and just go for it.

'cept that one time...

On my Scarabeo 50, I caught quite a bit of air on one railroad crossing. It was on a steep hill, with the crossing being the only part that was anywhere near level. I was headed downhill, and didn't realize that the road didn't stay leveled-out after the crossing. I was also doing near 50. Immediately after the crossing, I lauched off the seat, and screamed as I realized that the only bit of me actually touching the bike was my hands on the grips. Luckily, all was well when I landed. I'm still not exactly sure how it worked out like it did.

About a mile down the road, I decided I wanted to go back and do it again. 8)
@jkdrummer avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 Aprilia SC250 (his) 2009 Aprilia Scarabeo 200 (hers)

Hooked
@jkdrummer avatar
2009 Aprilia SC250 (his) 2009 Aprilia Scarabeo 200 (hers)
UTC quote
90 degree angle of attack helps!
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
UTC quote
I went across one once, while leading a couple of friends, and it bounced me about a foot off my seat. They both laughed. That was the only time I can remember having an issue.
OP
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC

Banned

Banned
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC quote
jkdrummer wrote:
90 degree angle of attack helps!
I had kind of assumed a 90 degree approach, or as close as that as possible.

Nerd emoticon
OP
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC

Banned

Banned
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC quote
Obviously, everyone's making it across them on a daily basis, and the obvious response to my question is to just slow down and move across, same as anything else....but does it bug you when cars following behind you don't consider that a PTW sometimes has to slow down a little more than a Humvee might when crossing rough tracks, and they crowd up right behind you as they attempt to hurtle across like they usually do?

Say! that reminds me, how do you like them there steel-grate bridge surfaces?

Nerd emoticon
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber
UTC quote
plain
I just ride over them........

Bill X
OP
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC

Banned

Banned
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC quote
Re: plain
Bill Dog wrote:
I just ride over them........

Bill X
Good, same as I do then.

So that mystery is solved.

Nerd emoticon
@hendon avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2004 ET4, 2003 ET4, 1980 P200, 1963 Li150

Molto Verboso
@hendon avatar
2004 ET4, 2003 ET4, 1980 P200, 1963 Li150
UTC quote
There have been times when they cross the road at a pretty serious acute or obtuse angle, and then you have to try to swerve to get as close to a 90 degree crossing as possible. Other than that, I don't think I've ever had a problem with a regular crossing.

Brendan
@witch avatar
UTC

Moderatrice Strega

Moderatrice Strega
@witch avatar
UTC quote
There's a RR crossing on HWY 126 in SoCal that's pushing a 45-degree angle at the road. It's in at least a 60mph zone, and crosses 5 lanes. There's no way in hell you could orient yourself to hit that at a 90-degree angle unless you slowed down enough to cause an accident. I used to ride over it at full speed with no problems. After riding over it the first time and realizing that the crossing was kept in good repair, I barely bothered to notice it anymore.
OP
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC

Banned

Banned
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC quote
A smooth railroad crossing is a wonderful thing.

8)
@david_masse avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS sold, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super (sold) & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)

Ossessionato
@david_masse avatar
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS sold, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super (sold) & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)
UTC quote
My slow commute route has 9 level crossing only one of which crosses the road at a 90 degree angle. The rest cross at 45 degrees. The condition of the crossings varies. Most are OK-ish. Two have good gaps on either side of each rail. The speed limit is 50 km/h in all cases with traffic averaging 60-65 km/h.

As others have said, I just cross them. For the two really bad ones, I put at least one foot on the passenger footpeg and I lift my weight off the saddle while crossing (kind of like posting on a horse). It takes some of the strain off the suspension.

The only time I had the slightest issue was in the rain when the rails are slick and I felt tbe rear wheel slip just a tad. I have to say that did light every neuron up my spine. Luckily that was fhe only consequence. Ever since I redouble caution when it's wet.

I don't otherwise sweat crossings.
@rail_50 avatar
UTC

Addicted
BV 500 Bagger, Atlantic 500, Stella 150 4T, Mojito Custom 150, Baron 150.

Addicted
@rail_50 avatar
BV 500 Bagger, Atlantic 500, Stella 150 4T, Mojito Custom 150, Baron 150.
UTC quote
D'oh!

There was construction, and I had to use the left lane, where the Light Rail tracks are located.... I managed to get the front wheel wedged in between the rail and flangeway. I went east, and the scoot went west. ARGH! and I should know better.. I mean really? Rail 50? I'm thinking about changing my name to Rail 51-50... Wha? emoticon
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150
UTC quote
davidmasse wrote:

As others have said, I just cross them. For the two really bad ones, I put at least one foot on the passenger footpeg and I lift my weight off the saddle while crossing (kind of like posting on a horse). It takes some of the strain off the suspension.
This.

I started on dirtbikes and my instinct now for any rough patches is to plant BOTH feet on the floorboards, firm hold but not too tight on the grips & unweight the seat w/ bent knees. Brake prior if you like, but don't accelerate OR brake during engagement, just ride thru as stated by others.

PS I often ride my little 50S offroad. Sometimes to places you can't go too slow & make it. Poor Vespa. Bring on your RR crossings!
@shanghai_dan avatar
UTC

Addicted
MP3 500 - Black Sunshine

Addicted
@shanghai_dan avatar
MP3 500 - Black Sunshine
UTC quote
Rail 50 wrote:
D'oh!

There was construction, and I had to use the left lane, where the Light Rail tracks are located.... I managed to get the front wheel wedged in between the rail and flangeway. I went east, and the scoot went west. ARGH! and I should know better.. I mean really? Rail 50? I'm thinking about changing my name to Rail 51-50... Wha? emoticon
Shouldn't that name be "Rail 1 - Rider 0"?

Glad you're still riding!
@waspandy avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300 Super i.e.

Hooked
@waspandy avatar
GTS 300 Super i.e.
UTC quote
Re: So, how do you little-wheel riders deal with RR tracks?
Scooterdoodler wrote:
Around here, the city's railroad track crossings are brutal affairs that can jar your soul if you cross them at anything more than a walk...sometimes a slow walk at that.

It's bad enough with a motorcycle, but a scooter must present a unique experience and require a bit of technique to span these damn canyons without falling into them, never to be seen again.

Nerd emoticon
On my way to work (back when I had one), I passed a four rail freight train crossing at 30 degrees to the road, twice a day. The speed limit is 40 mph. During winter, and when it rained, I had to make sure I did not need to brake when passing, otherwise no problems at all.

/Andy
@monit avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS 300

Molto Verboso
@monit avatar
GTS 300
UTC quote
Scooterdoodler wrote:
A smooth railroad crossing is a wonderful thing.

8)
That's like looking for a smooth marriage. Razz emoticon
@raputtak avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.

Ossessionato
@raputtak avatar
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.
UTC quote
Maybe sending a letter to the railroad company politely asking they they improve the crossing would put them on notice.

E.g. "Where your tracks cross the 2100 block of Main Street in Anytown, USA, there are large holes on both sides of the rail. These holes cause serious difficulties for me and others when we cross the tracks on a motorcycle."

It worked when I wrote to the DMV about the scooter not triggering the traffic light sensor loop. They fixed it.
UTC

Addicted
'09 Yamaha Zuma(sold), '06 Kymco People 250(sold), '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie, '09 Buddy Italia, '06 Buddy

Addicted
'09 Yamaha Zuma(sold), '06 Kymco People 250(sold), '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie, '09 Buddy Italia, '06 Buddy
UTC quote
I stand a bit and let the shocks bounce. Even on the Buddy it's hasn't presented too much of an issue.
OP
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC

Banned

Banned
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC quote
Raputtak wrote:
Maybe sending a letter to the railroad company politely asking they they improve the crossing would put them on notice.

E.g. "Where your tracks cross the 2100 block of Main Street in Anytown, USA, there are large holes on both sides of the rail. These holes cause serious difficulties for me and others when we cross the tracks on a motorcycle."

It worked when I wrote to the DMV about the scooter not triggering the traffic light sensor loop. They fixed it.
About a year ago, the City tried to get the DM&E railroad to repair it's in-city track crossings after many complaints from motorists. It took a while, but they finally rebuilt the worst of them, but it's an on-going aggravation around here as the crossings seem to deteriorate as fast as they can fix them.
The city's solution to many of them was to install 'Rough Crossing' warning signs.
@doorbuster avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 Piaggio BV 250

Molto Verboso
@doorbuster avatar
2007 Piaggio BV 250
UTC quote
I bought a BV250 instead of a little wheel scooter
@davidr5 avatar
UTC

Addicted
Scooter free for the moment

Addicted
@davidr5 avatar
Scooter free for the moment
UTC quote
I've never seemed to have an issue with them when I had a little wheeled scooter: lighten up the grip, perhaps come a bit off the seat, hit them sqare and move along. Perhaps I didn't know any better, but they never seemed to be an issue...

I've heard lots of comments about little wheels: bad on bumps, no stability, dangerous at speed, wear tires too quickly....

Only the latter one seems to have rung true with me.
@knight_train avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2017 BMW R1200GS and 2010 Vespa GTS 250 (shared)

Ossessionato
@knight_train avatar
2017 BMW R1200GS and 2010 Vespa GTS 250 (shared)
UTC quote
I can't say that either concern has been something I've come across ever on two wheels. I just slow down, take them straight on and carry on.
@turtle_gt avatar
UTC

Addicted
No more Vespa

Addicted
@turtle_gt avatar
No more Vespa
UTC quote
Here, the bigger hazard is the motorists who suddenly see the railroad tracks and slam on their brakes. ...Like maybe the tracks have up and moved on them?
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
So, in conclusion, I think we can reasonably state that small wheels aren't an issue across railroad tracks. Just another myth that motorcyclists perpetuate amongst themselves to rationalize having spent way too much money on a grossly overweight bike with an engine sized appropriately for a European hatchback.

Silly motorcyclists.

Next small-wheel myth on the agenda: doing 80mph on the freeway on 12" wheels. Who wants to go first? And which motorcyclist actually has big enough balls to attempt such a harrowing feat?
@rgconner avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS250

Ossessionato
@rgconner avatar
GTS250
UTC quote
Only bike I have had issues with are Bicycle road tires.

23mm will go right down the crack, or slide off the steel.
@hamonthree avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 250 (His) LX150 (Hers)

Molto Verboso
@hamonthree avatar
MP3 250 (His) LX150 (Hers)
UTC quote
Mostly it is about the condition of the crossing, less about the angle. There is a crossing in Madison I don't like going over in my Jeep, let alone the MP3. You see WAYYY too much rail through the broken wood beams. They have got some really shitty crossings for one of the highest taxed areas in the state.
OP
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC

Banned

Banned
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC quote
I was being a bit of a troll with this topic.

But I got almost a page worth out of it so far.

When I'm sitting at my boring-ass job all day, I don't need much of an excuse to post silly things. If I was riding a scooter around town, I'd cross railroad tracks about the same way I do with any other machine.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Scooterdoodler wrote:
Don't fool yourself. You ride ridiculously large, sometimes overpowered motorcycles. You're obviously insecure. Scooters are probably not your cup of tea.
OP
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC

Banned

Banned
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Just another myth that motorcyclists perpetuate amongst themselves to rationalize having spent way too much money on a grossly overweight bike with an engine sized appropriately for a European hatchback.
You have it bass-ackwards, actually it's a grossly overweight European hatchback with an engine sized appropriately for a proper motorcycle.

@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Scooterdoodler wrote:
jess wrote:
Just another myth that motorcyclists perpetuate amongst themselves to rationalize having spent way too much money on a grossly overweight bike with an engine sized appropriately for a European hatchback.
You have it bass-ackwards, actually it's a grossly overweight European hatchback with an engine sized appropriately for a proper motorcycle.
Ah. Well, that would explain the trunk.
@sdg avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
63 GS160 MK1 / GT60 / Sean Wotherspoon

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@sdg avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Scooterdoodler wrote:
Don't fool yourself. You ride ridiculously large, sometimes overpowered motorcycles. You're obviously insecure. Scooters are probably not your cup of tea.
Wow I was thinking troll and he said it for me. Jess you are spot on on so many levels. Scooters aren't for everyone but you can find information about a first service in probably 500 different threads so I gotta ask...

SDG
@joedevola avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2009 Vespa LX150ie, 2007 GTS250ie, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1989 BMW K100RS

Molto Verboso
@joedevola avatar
2009 Vespa LX150ie, 2007 GTS250ie, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1989 BMW K100RS
UTC quote
In Melbourne we have tram tracks. These are on the road and parallel to the direction of travel. Much more difficult to navigate than crossing at 90 degrees!
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC

Banned

Banned
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Scooterdoodler wrote:
Overpowered is subjective, what's the hp of your BMW? A bit over 100 I suspect. Many (even on MV) would consider that excessive.

Both my GT750 and ZX14 are about 550 wet, that's far from ridiculously heavy.

Our V-Rod is about 600. Again, not ridiculously heavy, especially for the cruiser class.

The Goldwing is very heavy, but it's a magnificent motorcycle regardless and arguably the best in it's class when considering it's purpose.

The Valkyrie doesn't count anymore, it currently being on the sale block.

OP
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC

Banned

Banned
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Scooterdoodler wrote:
But a KLR650 was? as were two 650 Burgmans and a Triumph Bonneville?

I think I'd get along just fine on a 22 hp scooter. Admittedly, I don't want one for my primary transportation, but as a purely recreational pleasure machine, I'd be fine on one.

Even though my small penis is legendary, I'm not insecure in the least. My rather eclectic tastes in PTW's should be proof enough of that. You may single out some of the larger bikes I have and have had, but they represent the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the regular cornucopia of PTW's I've owned.

OP
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC

Banned

Banned
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC quote
SDG wrote:
Jess you are spot on on so many levels.
Not when he's pidgeonholing me, he isn't. But I can't always tell when he's being serious or facetious, insulting or silly.

@sdg avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@sdg avatar
UTC quote
Scooterdoodler wrote:
SDG wrote:
Jess you are spot on on so many levels.
Not when he's pidgeonholing me, he isn't. But I can't always tell when he's being serious or facetious, insulting or silly.

I can.........

SDG
OP
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC

Banned

Banned
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC quote
SDG wrote:
Wow I was thinking troll and he said it for me. Jess you are spot on on so many levels. Scooters aren't for everyone but you can find information about a first service in probably 500 different threads so I gotta ask...
SDG
Just to piss you off, I think I'm going to make you the official president of my MV fan club.

8)
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0397s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0084s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]