@ramblerdan avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 MP3 400

Ossessionato
@ramblerdan avatar
2009 MP3 400
UTC quote
Last month, concurrent with mounting a fuel-bottle holder on the underside of my topcase, I installed a fire extinguisher on the bike. The FE is a First Alert 5-B:C model marketed for cars (p/n AUTO5). It comes with a plastic bracket with three countersunk holes for mounting:

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

At first I used the stock bracket and mounted it above my right foot on the legshield:

This was less than satisfactory because the bottom of the FE was too close to my toes when my feet were on the floorboard; with my feet on the pegs, the top of the bracket brushed against my calf. Most of all it seemed like a risk to me in a crash.

So I went to a local fire extinguisher dealer and picked up an Amerex model 818 bracket:

I modified the bracket to fit the FE by slightly enlarging the jaws on top and moving them a bit forward, and also rolling/bending the bottom upward (the bracket is made for a taller FE), forming a tab that fits under the lip at the bottom of the First Alert. Now the unit is supported at both top and bottom. Another big advantage of this bracket is that it has many mounting holes, allowing me to secure the bracket to the legshield with eight fasteners (seven sheet metal screws and one 1/4-20 bolt going into a Rivnut), compared to the plastic bracket's three.

The location was still a problem, so I moved my cupholder to the other side of the parking brake, which allowed me to mount the FE inboard of its previous location. Now it's not in the way of my leg or foot at all:

Finally, I added a "ball chain"-style breakaway zip tie to provide a level of redundancy in keeping the clamp closed in the face of vibrations and shocks from the bike. The pull lever was predrilled, so I needed only to punch a hole in the rubber cover:

So ... anybody else have a FE on their MP3?
⚠️ Last edited by ramblerdan on UTC; edited 8 times
@rjeffb avatar
UTC

Bracketmeister
Bracketmeister Emeritus (retired)

Bracketmeister
@rjeffb avatar
Bracketmeister Emeritus (retired)
UTC quote
I had one in my trunk. But I decided I'd rather add fuel to the fire...
1.5 liter gas can is the same diameter as a small FE. And instead of putting out the flames, I can make sure insurance covers a writeoff!
1.5 liter gas can is the same diameter as a small FE. And instead of putting out the flames, I can make sure insurance covers a writeoff!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0246s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0019s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]