OP
UTC

GT200

GT200
UTC quote
On the assumption that one cannot have enough lights on a two-wheel vehicle, I collected over time various LED light, some being installed on previous scooters. Bur I had a pair of lights and flushing modulator (from Circuit City) that did not make it into my old VSX.

So last week...

The scope of the mod was to use one of those LEDs and install it behind the rear reflector lens, thus increasing the visibility.

Time: a few half hours throughout the working week days.
Special tools: Dremel, soldering iron.

Hope you find the post useful,

Marius

Note to the forum administrator: I attached the pictures in chronological order, however the preview is showing them in reverse order. I cannot find a way to correct the problem.
1. rear light assembly taken apart and cutouts made into the housing and the reflector. 

Note the broken stud of the reflector. The "washers" (do not know the technical name) that hold the reflector onto the housing do not come out easily. More
1. rear light assembly taken apart and cutouts made into the housing and the reflector. Note the broken stud of the reflector. The "washers" (do not know the technical name) that hold the reflector onto the housing do not come out easily. More
2. cut-out details.

Special attention should be given to the shaving of the reflector plastic chrome trim. I used a Dremel with one of the dental like bits. Unfortunately, the lens is solidly glued to the the trim and as such, the trim needs to be cut wi
2. cut-out details. Special attention should be given to the shaving of the reflector plastic chrome trim. I used a Dremel with one of the dental like bits. Unfortunately, the lens is solidly glued to the the trim and as such, the trim needs to be cut wi
3. masking.

With the LED and masking in place, I used epoxy into the inside of the housing.
3. masking. With the LED and masking in place, I used epoxy into the inside of the housing.
4. light group update.

By now everybody has left over pieces of Solas tape from the top case reflectors project. So this is what you can do.
4. light group update. By now everybody has left over pieces of Solas tape from the top case reflectors project. So this is what you can do.
5. epoxy step.

Note the broken stud. I drilled the stump out and epoxy-ed the broken piece.
5. epoxy step. Note the broken stud. I drilled the stump out and epoxy-ed the broken piece.
6. epoxy setting step.

Color coordinated elastic bands are optional.
6. epoxy setting step. Color coordinated elastic bands are optional.
7. electrical work (the most tedious)

Coordinate the polarity of the LED and do a test before final assembly. I failed in my attempt to use heat shrink tubes, so the final work does not look neat.
7. electrical work (the most tedious) Coordinate the polarity of the LED and do a test before final assembly. I failed in my attempt to use heat shrink tubes, so the final work does not look neat.
8. final product.
8. final product.
9. alternate view.

The design "modification" of the left cowl will be posted later? But it makes the scooter more ergonomical
9. alternate view. The design "modification" of the left cowl will be posted later? But it makes the scooter more ergonomical
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
None! I sold it :(
UTC quote
Nice job! It really shows up very well. I am not sure I would have thought of that.

Extra lights are great to have. Gotta let the cages see us, Beale.
@jridg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Piaggio BV 250

Ossessionato
@jridg avatar
Piaggio BV 250
UTC quote
Very nice job - well documented! Clap emoticon
@gtmemberno4 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Non yet gt though as soon as im 17

Enthusiast
@gtmemberno4 avatar
Non yet gt though as soon as im 17
UTC quote
Well if your riding about at night going home or somthing n get knocked off arleast they cant say they did'nt see you eh mate good idea
@micbergsma avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2003 ET4, 2005 LX 150, 1964 GS 160

Molto Verboso
@micbergsma avatar
2003 ET4, 2005 LX 150, 1964 GS 160
UTC quote
that's awesome!
same stuff ... added led light on the rear - piaggio fly
@emcosa avatar
UTC

Banned
GT200, LX150, Lambretta LD150, Lambretta B 125, Lambretta D150, 1949 Vespa Rod Model

Banned
@emcosa avatar
GT200, LX150, Lambretta LD150, Lambretta B 125, Lambretta D150, 1949 Vespa Rod Model
UTC quote
Nice Job! I also had this done on my GT, But took an easier route.
I cut threw the the holder and the reflector to expose the lense, and used the light bulb for the license plate to light both.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@pdxvespa avatar
UTC

Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4

Modératrice
@pdxvespa avatar
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
UTC quote
Nice job, great photo-documentation. Thanks for posting!

--Deborah
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0617s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0456s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingTwo ]