OP
UTC

piaggo mp3 500 cc IE

piaggo mp3 500 cc IE
UTC quote
Attached are the pictures that were requested.

Take off 4 bolts holding the handle bars on

Take off plastic shroud, you will see the hole/hollow tube (which is your steering column)

Loosen clamp insert plug, flat side towards bolt on clamp

Tighten the clamp as per specs.

(I believe it is 480 foot lbs of torque, but with this plug you can tighten as tight as you want and it won't hurt the plug, due to the fact that the plug is made out of harden steel)

There is a slight taper on the front of the plug, as seen in picture, to facilitate it going into the tube if the tube is already crushed. It will maintain the structural integrity of the tube.

I am charging $25.00 plus $7.00 US Shipping ($32.00)

Paypal account info: mlafer@sc.rr.com

I hope this answers your questions. If you need any more assistance, please feel free to contact me, 843-245-3954. If you need it longer, let me know.

Sincerely,

Michael Lafer
aka ironmike350
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
⚠️ Last edited by ironmike350 on UTC; edited 2 times
@fentonfred avatar
UTC

Addicted
2009 Piaggio MP3 250

Addicted
@fentonfred avatar
2009 Piaggio MP3 250
UTC quote
Re: pictures of the plugs for the steering tube
ironmike350 wrote:

Take off plastic shroud, you will see the hole/hollow tube (which is your steering column)

(I believe it is 480 foot lbs of torque, but with this plug you can tighten as tight as you want and it won't hurt the plug, due to the fact that the plug is made out of harden steel)

There is a slight taper on the front of the plug, as seen in picture, to facilitate it going into the tube if the tube is already crushed. It will maintain the structural integrity of the tube.

I hope this answers your questions. If you need any more assistance, please feel free to contact me. If you need it longer, let me know.

Sincerely,

Michael Lafer
aka ironmike350
Will these work for the 250, and if not, do you plan on making any for it?
OP
UTC

piaggo mp3 500 cc IE

piaggo mp3 500 cc IE
UTC quote
the 250
old as dirt said they will im not sure but i will make them for the 250 as well as any other bike that has this same problem but before you order find out if these will work on the 250 as well as the 400 i was told they will work on all three but i will find out for sure so there no mix up, mike
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
just did the parts number search on all 3

the 250 is 622741

the 400 is 56417R

the 500 is 56417R

So the 400 and 500 are the same tube. The 250 has a different number and may or may not fit at this time.

What we need is for a 250 owner to chime in and get a rough measurement of the ID of the tube.
UTC

Hooked
2010 mp3 500

Hooked
2010 mp3 500
UTC quote
480 ft lbs or is it 480 nm 480 ft. lb seems to be quite a lot.
ironmike350 wrote:

I hope this answers your questions. If you need any more assistance, please feel free to contact me. If you need it longer, let me know.

Sincerely,

Michael Lafer
aka ironmike350
@pianomanla avatar
UTC

Hooked
'15 Black MP3 500, 15' BMW 1200RT, '09 Black MP3 500 (Gone but not forgotten), '09 Orione Grey MP3 400ie (Gone but not forgotten)

Hooked
@pianomanla avatar
'15 Black MP3 500, 15' BMW 1200RT, '09 Black MP3 500 (Gone but not forgotten), '09 Orione Grey MP3 400ie (Gone but not forgotten)
UTC quote
Late to the party here... what is the benefit here? With a 400 and 500 in the stable, if there are benefits to be had for longevity or stability, or what have you, I am in...
UTC

Fuoco Gilera

Fuoco Gilera
UTC quote
Payment made thru paypal for one steering tube insert...thank you Mike.
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio mp3 500

Molto Verboso
Piaggio mp3 500
UTC quote
Piano go read the other thread .offering steering plugs for the mp3
⬆️    About 3 months elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
hi can you show me a pick of what it looks like after you take the bolts off?
⬆️    About 3 months elapsed    ⬇️
@heinlein avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 500, Ducati ST4s, Honda Silver Wing

Ossessionato
@heinlein avatar
MP3 500, Ducati ST4s, Honda Silver Wing
UTC quote
ironmike350 wrote:
Using a 6mm Allen wrench
Take off 4 bolts that look like they are holding the handle bars on. The handle bars stay on so no need to worry about gas and brake lines; remove the top shroud. Using a 4mm Allen wrench take off two bolts from the front shroud. Remove the front shroud. While I was doing this; I found it easiest to sit on the seat and when I say front shroud I mean the one closest to me which could confuse anyone who logically thinks the front would mean the front of the scooter. The bracket that the front shroud was bolted to is fastened to the back shroud with two Phillips screws; remove the bracket and take off plastic shroud, you will see the hole/hollow tube (which is your steering column)

Before loosening clamp check to see if you can insert plug; since mine had not been crushed I was able to push it into place with just a little thumb pressure.

Since my steering was not loose and I had not loosened the clamp I did not see a reason to tighten the clamp as per specs.

I ordered my steering tube plug last week and Mike sent it out quickly. I got it yesterday. I had some trepidation about installing it because I wasn't sure what the torque was suppose to be on the clamp; but I figured since I can't crush it; just get it nice and tight. The installation was VERY easy; but at least on my bike the directions weren't quite right. I edited Mike's instructions above leaving out some stuff and adding my changes in violet. Hope this helps someone who is on the fence because they think it might be too difficult. Four bolts for the top shroud, two bolts for the front shroud, two screws for the back shroud. Even if you have to loosen the clamp to insert the plug you don't have to worry about crushing it with the plug so just stop tightening before you strip it. Super easy job. If any of the more mechanically gifted members see a problem with my changes please let me know; I just did what made sense to me; but have to admit I'm not as smart as I used to think I was.

Edited: I just realized that I mistakenly repeated the mistake in the original instructions. The tightening torque should be 480 in./lbs. or 40 ft./lbs. NOT 480 ft./lbs.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0250s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0032s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]