@larrylarry75 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 MP3-500 aka Red Dog 2007 Vespa 250ie

Ossessionato
@larrylarry75 avatar
UTC quote
A few days ago herself and I arrived home to find a BMW rider posting a note on our front gate. We introduced ourselves and he said he'd just come from Bandon Fabrication where he'd gone for a quote on building a trailer hitch; in particular one for a Uni-Go. Ron, the shop's owner mentioned my set-up on Red Dog and said maybe I'd be a good resource to pursue which he did.

Bill, the BMW guy was very interested in the trailer and I let him look mine over from top to bottom, all the while relating my experiences with it on Red Dog and Red Girl [you guys wouldn't know about her, she's a Honda NT700V that I bought awhile back.] Anyway, long story short Bill expressed interest in buying the Uni-Go and since I was ready to move on to something new we struck a deal.

I guess my reason for telling you all this would be to say the Uni-Go is a good fit for the MP3-500, it holds plenty of gear and tows as it should provided you have a well-made hitch. The design and implementation of the hitch can still be viewed on my Red Dog blog for anyone interested. Of course you could use the same hitch setup to tow a two-wheeler so all applies.

It was fun while it lasted and oddly enough the Uni-Go was easier to tow on Red Dog than Red Girl. Most things come to an end though and with the funds from the Uni-Go sale plus a bit more I picked up a very pristine Vespa 250ie.

Best,

LL75
Bringing the Vespa home Sept 14, 2012
Bringing the Vespa home Sept 14, 2012
@tn_sooner avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2012 BV 350, 2013 BMW C650 GT, 2015 Indian Chieftain

Molto Verboso
@tn_sooner avatar
2012 BV 350, 2013 BMW C650 GT, 2015 Indian Chieftain
UTC quote
Larry is my idol! More toys per square inch.
@g03 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500 08

Molto Verboso
@g03 avatar
MP3 500 08
UTC quote
You are definitely a universal "biker"! Normally people settle for a certain group type, but not you ! Was it a two wheel scooter that attracted this one, or just interest random ? Best of luck also !
OP
@larrylarry75 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@larrylarry75 avatar
UTC quote
G03 wrote:
You are definitely a universal "biker"! Normally people settle for a certain group type, but not you ! Was it a two wheel scooter that attracted this one, or just interest random ? Best of luck also !
Yup, you're right there, I love all types of bikes regardless of how many wheels they have. Scooters are a blast and they're cheap enough to the point nearly anyone can manage to buy one. I was drawn to the Vespa 250ie after riding one owned by a friend; their power band seems to be just about right and you can toss them around with ease. I decided to buy one after briefly owning a new Stella [2-stroke 150cc model] The Stella is a hoot to ride but their power factor is too low for my liking so I let her go with less than 300 miles on the clock. Live and learn slowly seems to be my motto...

Anyway the Vespa is a great ride albeit somewhere north of expensive. I went for a short 100 miler today and it occurred to me it felt like riding bikes used to feel, wind in your face and all that. It's a scooter I'd ride anywhere without worrying about breakdowns and that's saying something.

LL75 Razz emoticon
My Stella and I stop for a picnic lunch recently.
My Stella and I stop for a picnic lunch recently.
@noth avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Burgman 650 (May, 2012) MP3 500 (11/2009 - 5.2012)

Molto Verboso
@noth avatar
Burgman 650 (May, 2012) MP3 500 (11/2009 - 5.2012)
UTC quote
I have to say.. that following Larry and his trips, travels & toys is my guilty pleasure for sure !
@alexb avatar
UTC

Addicted
2008 MP3-500

Addicted
@alexb avatar
2008 MP3-500
UTC quote
Re: Sold my Uni-Go!
larrylarry75 wrote:
...The design and implementation of the hitch can still be viewed on my Red Dog blog for anyone interested...
What is the link to your blog?

It would be great if you could do a write-up, on how to add a hitch to the mp3
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
ALEXB wrote:
larrylarry75 wrote:
...The design and implementation of the hitch can still be viewed on my Red Dog blog for anyone interested...

they are at the bottom of his signature in his posts
OP
@larrylarry75 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@larrylarry75 avatar
UTC quote
ALEXB wrote:
larrylarry75 wrote:

OAD has it right Alex but if you're not logged in the links won't show, something I didn't realize until just now. I started the Uni-Go project in Dec of 2009 and the hitch fabrication got going on Dec 31st. If you're not into surfing blogs here's the link to the post:

http://reddogscooter.blogspot.com/2009/12/dec-31-2009-plodding-along-with-uni-go.html

BTW, Ron at Bandon Fabrication built a helluva hitch for the MP3 500, you could probably pick the scooter up with it. As a point of interest anyone considering a Uni-Go trailer needs to have a solid heavy duty hitch frame made, otherwise a small amount of flex will open the door for fish tailing. The good part is the MP3 500 has lots of exposed frame that's just right for attaching a hitch.

Best,

LL75 8)
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0278s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0052s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]