OP
UTC

Hooked
GT 200

Hooked
GT 200
UTC quote
Even though I have had my GT for almost 2 years it is only the past 2 weeks that I have used it to commute to work. New office in different part of town and bald tires on my BMW dictated the switch. We are also having a serious drought here in South Florida. So I had never ridden the bike in the rain - until yesterday. We had 2 or more inches of rain yesterday. Riding home in a downpour I learned that the brakes don't work nearly as well in the rain. The first time I found out was approaching a red light at a major intersection going an indicated 65 mph. Yikes!

Be careful out there. It is my hope that someone sees this warning that did not know and it helps them stay safe.

Regards,

Bill
@breturi7 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Avio Gray GTV

Ossessionato
@breturi7 avatar
Avio Gray GTV
UTC quote
One thing a lot of riders forget to do is scrub their brakes well in advance of the anticipated stop. Hitting the brakes for a second or two here and there helps dry the moisture off the discs, ensuring better (and faster) braking when you really need it.

Glad you're alright though, Bill!
@gtmemberno4 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Non yet gt though as soon as im 17

Enthusiast
@gtmemberno4 avatar
UTC quote
Yea do be careful my dad had a accident in the rain trying to brake and he slid into the back of a car on his gt 250 luckly he had fully comp on his insurance so the scoot is still being fixed that was about 7 weeks ago so please be careful i would hate to hear anymore accidents involving scoots as a cause of mother nature ........
@damien avatar
UTC

Hooked
GT 200

Hooked
@damien avatar
GT 200
UTC quote
I use my GT to commute also and their was rain this morning, which I am used to at this point. Scrubbing the brakes as breturi7 stated does work and I tend to use that approach quite often with good results.

The other thing that I do is when I am in the confines of my neighborhood I test the brakes to see how much pressure it takes to lock the back one up, I do it for peace of mind and so that I know what it feels like.

The part that I hate the most is the little smooth lane dividing bumps, they are very slick especially when splitting lanes.

Riding in the rain is quite different and takes getting used to but as long as you take certain precautions it can be done safely.

Plus some of the looks I get from cagers while riding in a downpour are great.
@sarah avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Stella

Molto Verboso
@sarah avatar
Stella
UTC quote
Riding in the rain is a given in Seattle but what I hate the most are the puddles you can't avoid and you kind of skim over the top. I was riding through the industrial area of town the other night and had to go reeeaaalllly slow because of all the puddles, train tracks, and broken pavement/pot holes. The first time I rode too quickly through a puddle that was deeper than it looked was pretty disconcerting.
@quattrovalvole avatar
UTC

Addicted
09 GTS300 Super black, 04 GT 200 smoky, 05 GT 125 smoky (in pieces)

Addicted
@quattrovalvole avatar
09 GTS300 Super black, 04 GT 200 smoky, 05 GT 125 smoky (in pieces)
UTC quote
The rain is particularly tricky in the turns. Whatever you do, when it's raining make double sure to take it extra slow in the turns.

I learned this the hard way, sliding out pretty badly in a tight turn in the rain last summer. Ride safe!
@gtmemberno4 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@gtmemberno4 avatar
UTC quote
Sorry to hear bout the accident hope you was ok
@rudegirl957 avatar
UTC

Addicted
2007 Sky Blue LX150, 1994 Hyosung Rally

Addicted
@rudegirl957 avatar
UTC quote
I always ride sloooow in the rain. I hate riding on the bus because weird people always touch me.
@sarah avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Stella

Molto Verboso
@sarah avatar
Stella
UTC quote
rudegirl957 wrote:
I always ride sloooow in the rain. I hate riding on the bus because weird people always touch me.
Haha...I hear ya. I took the bus to work before I got my scooter because I refuse to pay $50/month to park my car at work. Riding the bus in the rain is worse than scooting in the rain because the bus always stinks more when it is full of soaked people.
@whiteknuckler avatar
UTC

Hooked
1953 Vespa ACMA 125 / 2007 Burgman 650

Hooked
@whiteknuckler avatar
1953 Vespa ACMA 125 / 2007 Burgman 650
UTC quote
And remember to watch out for painted surfaces on the road when wet, in a turn.
@rachelj avatar
UTC

GTS 250

@rachelj avatar
GTS 250
UTC quote
Watch out for manhole covers in the turns, too! Today was my first day of wet riding, and I slid a little bit on a manhole cover on a turn. I rode extra slowly and carefully otherwise, though.
@dchernikoff avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vintage Red 2007 GTS, 2022 Mazda Miata soft-top (4-wheel MC)!

Ossessionato
@dchernikoff avatar
Vintage Red 2007 GTS, 2022 Mazda Miata soft-top (4-wheel MC)!
UTC quote
Making turns in the rain totally freaks me out. I've only done it a few times, and I'm afraid to lean over at ALL. Which makes for VERY WIDE turns!

So with decent tires, how much is it safe to lean over in the rain? My approach was "no lean at all" but that can't be right! And how do I find out, short of dumping my scooter and scratching it all up?

-Dan
@rudegirl957 avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@rudegirl957 avatar
UTC quote
seattlescoot wrote:
rudegirl957 wrote:
Haha...I hear ya. I took the bus to work before I got my scooter because I refuse to pay $50/month to park my car at work. Riding the bus in the rain is worse than scooting in the rain because the bus always stinks more when it is full of soaked people.
Or when the weird crazy person pisses in their seat. That is always a joy. Razz emoticon
@big_foot avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Scooterless at the moment

Ossessionato
@big_foot avatar
Scooterless at the moment
UTC quote
I don't have that problem up here in Canada,
However I do have a problem with hydro planing though.

It's not uncommon to find my front wheel floating sideways across a lane.

Dave
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
i actually like riding in the rain. something about the hush that falls over everything and the sound of the rain against my helmet puts me into the zen state.

that being said, i like riding my lambretta in the rain much more than the ET. it's alot closer to the ground, thus i don't have as far to fall before hitting the pavement.

i've ridden a Fly150 in the rain once. i liked that too... much like the lambretta experience.

best,
-greasy
@hayes avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2005 vespa px125 (sold) + 1998 Yamaha XJ600N

Molto Verboso
@hayes avatar
2005 vespa px125 (sold) + 1998 Yamaha XJ600N
UTC quote
Once u get used to it, riding in the rain isn't that bad.
Slowly learn ho wfar u can go, usually that's farther than one thinks. Only braking can be tricky. Just take extra caution and brake earlier, but that's a given.
OP
UTC

Hooked
GT 200

Hooked
GT 200
UTC quote
dchernikoff wrote:
Making turns in the rain totally freaks me out. I've only done it a few times, and I'm afraid to lean over at ALL. Which makes for VERY WIDE turns!

So with decent tires, how much is it safe to lean over in the rain? My approach was "no lean at all" but that can't be right! And how do I find out, short of dumping my scooter and scratching it all up?

-Dan
Actually if the road is just wet you can ride almost normally. To be safe maybe 5 mph slower than normal for all surface street situations and maybe 7-10 mph slow on high speed roads like an Interstate. You need to be vigilant, though, and watch for telltale signs of other problems. Water on an oil slick will look a bit like a multicolored rainbow. Any kind of junk in the road is always a potential hazard but in the rain you have less margin for error.

The best advice I can offer is to practice, practice, practice. Like one of the other contributors mentioned you can reach a point where riding in the rain is not only not a big deal, it is also something you can grow to like.

Regards,

Bill
@scoots avatar
UTC

Moderatore Dedicato
GTS250 Gilera Runner SP180

Moderatore Dedicato
@scoots avatar
GTS250 Gilera Runner SP180
UTC quote
rudegirl957 wrote:
I hate riding on the bus because weird people always touch me.
Yeah,sorry 'bout that...
@scooterchik avatar
UTC

2006 GT200

@scooterchik avatar
2006 GT200
UTC quote
Re: Warning - Braking in the rain
Bill Stevenson wrote:
. We are also having a serious drought here in South Florida. So I had never ridden the bike in the rain - until yesterday. We had 2 or more inches of rain yesterday. Riding home in a downpour I learned that the brakes don't work nearly as well in the rain.
I hear that!! I live on the gulf side and the summer rains are nice for cooling down the afternoons. But man....sometimes it rains so hard you can only see about 10 ft in front of you if your lucky. Last summer I got stuck in one of the "Florida Downpours". It wasnt raining that hard when I started home but got bad quick. The speed limit was 45 but I was going about 30 (along with every other vehicle) cuz it was so hard. I still got the shit scared out of me when lightening came out of nowhere and struck a mile ahead of me. Luckily I was only a few blocks from the house at that point. Try to be as careful as you can out there!!!!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0178s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0070s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]