OP
UTC

Hooked
152L2 (VNA) 1960

Hooked
152L2 (VNA) 1960
UTC quote
Hello,

If I wanted to change my electrical system on my 125cc 152L2 (VNA) Vespa from 6v to 12v what would my options be and is it worth the money?

I have looked around at a few kits claiming its 'plug and play' with electronic ignition etc and simply the bits plug together? So I have a few questions?

1) Will I need to change my wiring loom? - Looking into it I think I will as I will have to add a battery etc which I currently don't have
2) Is the timing setup the same as the original magneto (ie by moving the slotted plate to adjust the advance?)
3) Will I need to add fuses (as ive read somewhere that my old scooter simply uses the lamps as fuses to protect the circuit as its soo simple?
4) Using 12v DC setup instead of 6v AC I guess lamps etc are readily available?

I can certainly see some advantages, however having just rebuilt my scooter and got my engine running nicely, it's a pretty big step back having to changeover to a 12v setup. Not that I wouldn't be able to do it, but just need to justify the benefits of spending the money first!?!

Anyway any feedback or advice would be helpful! Also if anyone has converted their scooter, advice would be good...

Thanks
@sgn_scott avatar
UTC

Hooked
Sprint 166, P150S

Hooked
@sgn_scott avatar
Sprint 166, P150S
UTC quote
I'll remove one headache for you. Going to 12V doesn't mean that you need a battery. I don't have one and run a 12v CDI set-up.

There may be some small changes to loom needed but those should be covered by whatever kit you buy.

The kits normally come with a regulator of sorts so you'll just need to switch over to the correct 12v bulbs (again normally supplied in the kits)

Hope that helps.
@oopsclunkthud avatar
UTC

Banned
3:5

Banned
@oopsclunkthud avatar
UTC quote
With a VNA I would not bother converting to 12V. A good working 6V system should give you plenty of light. They DO make 6V halogen bulbs.
UTC

Hooked
61 vnb

Hooked
61 vnb
UTC quote
I second what oopsclunkthud said . Halogen 6 volt would be the way to go . As bright as a stock 12 v. The ones I have had you will have to change out the bulb holder also . Easy to do and worth it .
OP
UTC

Hooked
152L2 (VNA) 1960

Hooked
152L2 (VNA) 1960
UTC quote
thanks for your help!

will order a halogen lamp and get a regulator then and go from there!
@nebulae avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa Rally 210

Addicted
@nebulae avatar
Vespa Rally 210
UTC quote
The best thing with modern electrics isn't just to do with 12v, its also to do away with pre-historic ignition points & go electronic ignition.
Defo worth considering.
The upgrade to 12v just gets thrown in for free
@oopsclunkthud avatar
UTC

Banned

Banned
@oopsclunkthud avatar
UTC quote
nebulae wrote:
The best thing with modern electrics isn't just to do with 12v, its also to do away with pre-historic ignition points & go electronic ignition.
Defo worth considering.
The upgrade to 12v just gets thrown in for free :D
electronic ignition is great but really only has an advantage at high RPM. A vna motor isn't likely to see high RPM and is not really tunable so the advantage will not really show itself in this application.
@nebulae avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa Rally 210

Addicted
@nebulae avatar
Vespa Rally 210
UTC quote
oopsclunkthud wrote:
nebulae wrote:
Defo worth considering.
The upgrade to 12v just gets thrown in for free
electronic ignition is great but really only has an advantage at high RPM. A vna motor isn't likely to see high RPM and is not really tunable so the advantage will not really show itself in this application.
Oh come on.
Points are mechanical bits of gear that need adjusting & wear out over time.
Having electronic ignition to get rid of them is excuse enough, never mind the other advantage that you spek of.
@jamesjohn avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1970 Vespa Rally 180

Ossessionato
@jamesjohn avatar
1970 Vespa Rally 180
UTC quote
i agree with oopsclunkthud. im on my second set of points after 5 years. they are also hella cheaper than a CDI to replace.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0247s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0042s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]