UTC

Enthusiast
2007 Silver LX150

Enthusiast
@cwilliams21 avatar
2007 Silver LX150
UTC quote
Hello-

I'm thinking about getting a HID headlight kit for my 2012 GTS300 but I would like to know if any member has experience with the kit below. I'd like to know build quality, durability, ease of installation etc.

http://www.scooterworks.com/[redacted]-headlight-upgrade--xenon-hid---vespa-gts-products-543.php

I tired searching the forum before posting this but didn't find anything about this kit. Any input is appreciated!

Thanks
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
UTC quote
I have one of these that I purchased with hopes of upgrading my GTV. I have decided against it and am interesting in selling it. PM me if you are interested in it.

Thanks

Best
Miguel
@2011super avatar
UTC

Banned
2021 GTS 300 Touring

Banned
@2011super avatar
2021 GTS 300 Touring
UTC quote
Miguel wrote:
I have one of these that I purchased with hopes of upgrading my GTV. I have decided against it and am interesting in selling it. PM me if you are interested in it.

Thanks

Best
Miguel
Why did you decide against it?
@ljclark avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
None

Molto Verboso
@ljclark avatar
None
UTC quote
Re: HID headlight for 2012 GTS300
cwilliams21 wrote:
Hello-

I'm thinking about getting a HID headlight kit for my 2012 GTS300 but I would like to know if any member has experience with the kit below. I'd like to know build quality, durability, ease of installation etc.

http://www.scooterworks.com/[redacted]-headlight-upgrade--xenon-hid---vespa-gts-products-543.php

I tired searching the forum before posting this but didn't find anything about this kit. Any input is appreciated!

Thanks
One thing I notice about this kit is that there is a shield over the front of the bulb. Almost all of the plug-in "kits" don't have that. The issue is that 99.9% of North American automotive and PTW low-beam headlight bulbs have a painted cap or are mounted behind a shield -- so all the light projected forward is off the reflector -- and thus NOT exposing the filament (or spark or arc) directly to oncoming traffic. That's the reason I won't mount any of those many other HIDs into a low-beam fixture.

According to S-c-o-o-t-R-S's site, their kit is fully functional like a standard H4 dual filament bulb.
@tb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa 2005 GT200 & Honda Metro

Ossessionato
@tb avatar
UTC quote
If you're going to mount an HID headlamp, try and use on that is a Projection Unit. This will allow the beam of light to be projected properly and you can control the low and high beam with the projectors shutter mechanism. This is what I have installed. It is a daunting install and would only recommend it only if you're convinced that this is the path you want to take.

IMHO, You do not want to have an HID lamp that projects off of the reflector in you standard headlight housing as it was designed for the incandescent lamp and not an HID.

I did install a "plug and play" type and did not like the scattered beam inability to control same. It's really not good to have an HID beam shooting up and out to on coming traffic when you have you low beam set.

Others may want to chime in and you can decide what you want installed.

Good Luck!
@vezpa avatar
UTC

Banned
Vespa GTS 300 Super & Vespa P125X

Banned
@vezpa avatar
Vespa GTS 300 Super & Vespa P125X
UTC quote
I have fooled around with many aftermarket HID kits and they are usually junk. They will also get so hot in the GTS housing that they may very well melt the lens. If you want the best light-bulb go get a Sylvania Silver Star as they are pretty much the best bulb on the market and will only set you back about $20
@2011super avatar
UTC

Banned
2021 GTS 300 Touring

Banned
@2011super avatar
2021 GTS 300 Touring
UTC quote
I ran an HID on my 2007 for about 4 years and it worked perfectly with no issues. Loved it but have no real plans to do any upgrades on this bike other than the horn for letting texting cagers they are about the run over me.
@tb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@tb avatar
UTC quote
VEZPA wrote:
I have fooled around with many aftermarket HID kits and they are usually junk. They will also get so hot in the GTS housing that they may very well melt the lens. If you want the best light-bulb go get a Sylvania Silver Star as they are pretty much the best bulb on the market and will only set you back about $20
You are correct, it can be a crap shoot.

I just got a new shroud (surrounds HID projector) and a supposed improved HID bulb to replace the shroud that had installed and got deformed (melted). The headlight lens is fine. Consulting a good friend, we are going to replace the shroud and use the new HID bulb. Then we are going to drill some holes on the underside of the lens to allow some air flow. If this doesn't work I will order a new headlight housing and use standard incandescent bulbs (i.e. the Sylvania Silver Star).

Since I have my turn signals modified; dual white running lights (always on) and amber turn signals...I believe my visibility is enhanced from what I had (no running lights).

Note: Objective was to been more visible on the road.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0277s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0056s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]