@peterpq3 avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTV 300 2012 Espresso

Hooked
@peterpq3 avatar
GTV 300 2012 Espresso
UTC quote
I just found out that my dealer charges $ 65.00/Month to prepare and store my Vespa GTV-300 for the Winter Months. I have friends with heated and non heated garages that can offer my Vespa a winter home. What do I need to do to store it. I have a trickle charger for the battery from Honda that is installed for east plug in and I was told to add fuel stabilizer to the gas and run the engine a bit. Is it that simple or is there far more to do?

Please send me suggestions.
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
I change the oil and filter as well as your listed steps, and top the fuel off. Mine sits in a frozen Minnesota garage.
@joedevola avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2009 Vespa LX150ie, 2007 GTS250ie, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1989 BMW K100RS

Molto Verboso
@joedevola avatar
2009 Vespa LX150ie, 2007 GTS250ie, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1989 BMW K100RS
UTC quote
I don't have it in front of me (and I am only posting because I am procrastinating when I should be doing my uni assignment), but I think I recall that the owners manual has a section on preparing the scooter for long term storage. I think it was something like disconnect battery, fuel stabiliser and remove spark plug add a few drops of oil to cylinder and reinsert plug.

Cheers,

Chris
@gromitdaddy avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa LX50 "Lil Piggy"

Addicted
@gromitdaddy avatar
Vespa LX50 "Lil Piggy"
UTC quote
Mine gets a fuel stabilizer and sits on the trickle charger... In an unheated garage that definately freezes in the winter. That, and recommended service intervals are it.
UTC

Hooked
ET4 (several)

Hooked
ET4 (several)
UTC quote
I've got bikes that have sat for considerable times without any special treatment...

But, if you put it away immediately after a full service it can't be bad for it!

Personally, I would drain the tank and carb float chamber and then use new fuel when the Spring comes rather than using fuel stabiliser - petrol has different additives at different seasons, so it might be good to have fresh fuel anyway.

Depending on conditions, it might be good to chock the frame so the wheels are providing very little support for the bike, but I suspect that really isn't an issue for a scooter.

Bob
OP
@peterpq3 avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTV 300 2012 Espresso

Hooked
@peterpq3 avatar
GTV 300 2012 Espresso
UTC quote
I think I have fuel injection and there is no carburator?
Bob3D wrote:
I've got bikes that have sat for considerable times without any special treatment...

But, if you put it away immediately after a full service it can't be bad for it!

Personally, I would drain the tank and carb float chamber and then use new fuel when the Spring comes rather than using fuel stabiliser - petrol has different additives at different seasons, so it might be good to have fresh fuel anyway.

Depending on conditions, it might be good to chock the frame so the wheels are providing very little support for the bike, but I suspect that really isn't an issue for a scooter.

Bob
@harvey avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Honda NC750XD, 2007 GTS (sold),

Ossessionato
@harvey avatar
2016 Honda NC750XD, 2007 GTS (sold),
UTC quote
I pull the battery and store it indoors either on a charger, or charge it monthly. I add Seafoam to the tank and run it for about 10 mins. Carquest carries Seafoam in Canada. It's probably a good idea to change the oil at the same time. The only other thing to note is concrete is reputed to be bad for tires, so I use a sheet of plywood under the rear for protection. I've followed this routine for six years in Ottawa without problems.
OP
@peterpq3 avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTV 300 2012 Espresso

Hooked
@peterpq3 avatar
GTV 300 2012 Espresso
UTC quote
Thanks - The wood is probably a Great Idea
Harvey wrote:
I pull the battery and store it indoors either on a charger, or charge it monthly. I add Seafoam to the tank and run it for about 10 mins. Carquest carries Seafoam in Canada. It's probably a good idea to change the oil at the same time. The only other thing to note is concrete is reputed to be bad for tires, so I use a sheet of plywood under the rear for protection. I've followed this routine for six years in Ottawa without problems.
OP
@peterpq3 avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTV 300 2012 Espresso

Hooked
@peterpq3 avatar
GTV 300 2012 Espresso
UTC quote
Thank You All :)
I have a final storage procedure established. Perhaps a bit over kill, but really good for the scooter.

http://vespaadventures.ca/2012/10/03/winter-storage-a-northern-thing/
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
I've been storing scooters in Breckenridge, CO in an unheated garage each of the last 4 winters. I fill the tank, put in seafoam, run it for a few minutes. Shut it off and plug it into the trickle charger and call it good. My tires have lasted just as many miles as the scoots in Houston and I've replaced batteries every 2-3 years. The recommended steps in that blog post is more than I'm capable, much less willing to do. If I didn't have a trickle charger for each scoot along with pigtails screwed into the terminals I'd disconnect the battery but trickle charger is simpler and means I just unplug the pigtails and start the scoot come spring.
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
Yeah right, wash it before storing, that'd be two washes a season. Nah!
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0262s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0042s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]